HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

#05 | New York Islanders vs. Winnipeg Jets | Jan 27 | 8:00PM | OT/L 4-5

Old
01-27-2013, 09:59 PM
wingnutks

vCash: 500
KO sucks.

wingnutks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 09:59 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesRock4 View Post
Wow, I think you're really pushing it. Tavares was actually very solid defensively last year.
The idea is for Tavares to keep improving so that he explodes.

The notion that hes the worst defensive forward is ridiculous.

As long as the Isles get points, theyll be in the race. Cant get too upset about an OT loss at this point. They are right in the thick of things.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:01 PM
CREW99AW

I hate seeing them leave points on the table. Isles wasted a chance to pickup 2 pts.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:01 PM
giddy up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOK33 View Post
Tavares is still young but he's easily the worst defensive premium forward I think this game has seen the last 20 years outside of Jaromir Jagr, hopefully he improves somewhat as his career goes on, Jagr sure did once he got into his 30s.
Horrendous assessment

giddy up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:04 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyiguy21 View Post
Disagree completely. Had Aucoin done his job and not flubbed the pass, Hickey is set up right in the slot. Once he committed to that he wasn't getting back quick enough anyway.
Yup!!

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:05 PM
Poulin 0n My St1ck

vCash: 50
Fell asleep for the whole game, but woke up in time to see the OT goal. Now I'm kinda ticked and won't be able to get back to sleep so easily.

I've gotten the gist of what happened browsing through the pages.

Besides Moulson looking like ****, who else is in the doghouse for contributing to yet ANOTHER blown lead resulting in a loss?!?! What happened to Hammer? And how was Hickey - should he start again after tonight?

Thanks.

I'm waiting for Ullstrom to get a crack at the top line...

And for Bailey, Joensuu, and Viz to come back. I think we'll be in better shape defensively with Bailey and Viz. Nothing groundbreaking, but something to be happy about.

Poulin 0n My St1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:07 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI365 View Post
Nabby should've had that 4th goal no question, buy he held the team in there like always before that.
I agree. He was fantastic for two+ periods. Goal four was the bummer, whereas I've gotta wonder if Strait screened him a bit there? And JT and Moulson bumping into each other and just letting Burmistrov float by was, well, disgusting.

Quote:
Aucoin should absolutely have not tried to back pass that when the isles were 3 men deep on that rush, that's what led to the rush by Jokinen.
LOTS of people here saying that.

I thoroughly disagree. Hickey joined the rush and had Aucoin made the pass back, which looked to be his intention, Hickey would have been in a PRIME shooting position in the slot.

People - this is the NHL. Guys are supposed to be able to do that in their sleep without it being risky or questionable.

The problem was that Aucoin failed to make the pass, somehow losing track of the puck and then looked to just send the puck through the middle as an alternative. THAT attempt was thwarted by I believe Hainsey. Everything then went in the other direction.

That was the breakdown. That's where the failure took place. What was a 3-on-2 towards Montoya turned into an odd man break in the other direction.

Not pretty...

Sure wish Aucoin - who's been such an offensive dynamo in the minors - could have just made the simple, effective drop pass to Hickey...

Quote:
Overall we had no business winning after the 1st 2 periods but after leading by 2 goals in the 3rd it stings. I'll take the point and hopefully we at least get 2 points over the next 2 games in PIT and NJ.
I agree. We spent too much of this game being lousy. We actually got a point out of what was essentially maybe 15 good minutes of play this game.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:11 PM
Tavaresfan91

Now if we go 1-1 in these last 2 this isn't a terrible road trip IMO

Tavaresfan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:14 PM
wingnutks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavaresfan91 View Post
Which do we beat?

wingnutks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:16 PM
NYI JT91
(Islesallday)

vCash: 102
Okposos time here needs to come to an end...between JT/MM/niño/grabs/strome/Nielsen/bailey and other prospects like ullstrom, kabanov, sundstrom etc...he's about to get voted off the island. He's slow, can't stay on his feet, does not hit or battle like he should for his size, stick handling is garbage and he turns like a tank and his passing is subpar. He had top 6 potential but its slowly fading and we are about to be full on top 6 come next season. I say if he keeps on this track he gets traded with Viznovsky at the deadline for a 1st rd pick. Use our two 1st rd picks in a trade for an established player or to move up in attempt for the 1st pick if not already getting it lol I'm not one for drastic quick decisions on a bad game or two but he looked bad in camp and hasn't changed...he's not a bust but there will soon be no room for him. his game needs him to be a top 6 fwd or he will be fazed out like hunter was. If he puts up points he's useful if not he's useless. Hunter was a projected 30-30-60 powerfwd many years back with the possibility of captain just like KO was thought of a few years back. Same situation and they both play the same game and KO is about to go down the same path if he doesn't do something. He's really holding JT back too, he has no specific talent that makes your jaw drop. MM can score, JT does it all...what does KO do ? Was suppose to be powerfwd in the corners garbage goals etc...isn't happening. He's just never lived up to expectations.. He has streaks of good play but is way too inconsistent to be on the top line

Last edited by NYI JT91: 01-27-2013 at 10:25 PM.
NYI JT91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:17 PM
NYI JT91
(Islesallday)

Other then that. hickey looked okay for his first game. Carkner was unbearably awful to watch

Old
01-27-2013, 10:19 PM
HajdukSplit

vCash: 214
threw away points tonight, tough one to lose

HajdukSplit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:19 PM
Poulin 0n My St1ck

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islesallday View Post
Okposos time here needs to come to an end...between JT/MM/niño/grabs/strome/Nielsen/bailey and other prospects like ullstrom, kabanov, sundstrom etc...he's about to get voted off the island. He's slow, can't stay on his feet, does not hit or battle like he should for his size, stick handling is garbage and he turns like a tank and his passing is subpar. He had top 6 potential but its slowing fading and we are about to be full on top 6 come next season. I say if he keeps on this track he gets trade with Viznovsky at the deadline for a 1st rd pick. Use our two 1st rd picks in a trade for an established player or to move up in attempt for the 1st pick if not already getting it lol I'm not one for drastic quick decisions on a bad game or two but he looked bad in camp and hasn't changed...he's not a bust but there will soon be no room for him and his game needs him to be a top 6 fwd or he will be fazed out like hunter was. If he puts up points he's useful if not he's useless. Hunter was a projected 30-30-60 powerfwd many years back with the possibility of captain just like KO was thought of a few years back same situation and they both play the same game and KO is about to go down the same path if he doesn't do something. He's really holding JT back too, he has no specific talent that makes your jaw drop. MM can score, JT does it all...what does KO do ? Was suppose to be powerfwd in the corners garbage goals etc...isn't happening.
Well at least I didn't have to type all of that out. Agreed. But I expect more for KO and Viz than just a first-rounder.

Poulin 0n My St1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:20 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

2 things..

1st off I wouldn't mind shipping KO off for ROR.

2nd, I think we need to start looking for a new coach.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:20 PM
Tavaresfan91

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnutks View Post
Which do we beat?
Jersey

Tavaresfan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:22 PM
NYI JT91
(Islesallday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulin 0n My St1ck View Post
Well at least I didn't have to type all of that out. Agreed. But I expect more for KO and Viz than just a first-rounder.
Yeah agreed. I just didn't want to get into what else we could get lol that's a whole other conversation ha

Old
01-27-2013, 10:24 PM
JTforPres2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavaresfan91 View Post
I agree, 500 on a 5 game road trip I'd take any day.

JTforPres2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:25 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Who impressed me tonight:
- Nielsen
- Ullstrom
- McDonald

Who I was satisfied with:
- Tavares
- Grabner
- Moulson
- Nabokov
- MacDonald
- Streit
- Strait

Who was just OK or perhaps even 'meh':
- Okposo
- Hamonic
- Martin
- Aucoin
- Reasoner

Who's simply didn't impress in any capacity:
- Carkner
- Boyes
- Boulton

Can't comment on yet:
- Hickey

In general, other than Nabokov, I'm noticing a clear difference between the guys who weren't playing during the lockout and those who were.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:29 PM
NYI JT91
(Islesallday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post
2 things..

1st off I wouldn't mind shipping KO off for ROR.

2nd, I think we need to start looking for a new coach.
Agreed, he doesn't ever appear mad. Instead of acknowledging that our D was horrendous he applauded Winnipeg for playing well..lol they played well because we handed them the first 2 periods...no team could've played bad with such terrible clearing attempts, flubs, blind passes, weak passes and just flat out missing the puck. He put blame on JTs line...and he's right..but it was ALOT more then just them.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:30 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

And lastly, after looking at the replay where Hamonic got hurt, I'm expecting him to miss a few games. Just hope it's only some type of sprain or mild hyperextension and not something MUCH more serious.

That leg twisted in ways it shouldn't.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:32 PM
CDirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islesallday View Post
Agreed, he doesn't ever appear mad. Instead of acknowledging that our D was horrendous he applauded Winnipeg for playing well..lol they played well because we handed them the first 2 periods...no team could've played bad with such terrible clearing attempts, flubs, blind passes, weak passes and just flat out missing the puck. He put blame on JTs line...and he's right..but it was ALOT more then just them.
I wonder if anyone who's ever attended an open practice has ever witnessed this team working on breakout passes. It's been a thorn in this teams side for years. Watching them try to do it I have to wonder if addressing it ever hits Cappy's agenda.

CDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:35 PM
Original Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulin 0n My St1ck View Post
Then you are destined to be disappointed...

Original Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:47 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
And lastly, after looking at the replay where Hamonic got hurt, I'm expecting him to miss a few games. Just hope it's only some type of sprain or mild hyperextension and not something MUCH more serious.

That leg twisted in ways it shouldn't.
Has there anything about Hamonic's possible injury yet? We lose him for any time and we are in a world of hurt.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:47 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

I broke down and got my CI two days ahead of schedule. What a game to come back to. A few thoughts:

- The Isles were lucky to come out with a point. They were significantly out played, outbodied, outhussled, out everythinged the first two periods. Before their third period charge the score should have been Winnipeg 6, Isles 1.

- Hickey played well considering this is his first NHL game, yes? I see people here crapping on him for pinching in OT. Whatever. The reason they were in OT was because half the club played most of the game poorly. Chew on this, you are on the road in a game only worth 2 points as it is against a western club... yes, gamble.

- The game should have been over after the first 40 minutes. The first line slept their way through the first two periods and the rest of the team minus a few guys like Ulstrom and Martin mailed in the game. Nabokov kept them in it too, but he also had more than a few brain farts.

- My Doghouse: Boulton, Carkner, Kyle, Streit (though he is sick, apparently), The coaching staff for the bad line changes, MacDonald, and everyone who did not try to take Burnistrov out after he clipped Tavares high.

- The refs called a tilted game, and I don't say that very often. That last penalty was someone trying to get Peg back in the game.

- The good news - Hickey in, never want to see Finley again in the next two years. Grabner making his presence felt, but hard to do it with the skaters Peg has on the blueline. Tavares finally with a goal.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:49 PM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
I agree. He was fantastic for two+ periods. Goal four was the bummer, whereas I've gotta wonder if Strait screened him a bit there? And JT and Moulson bumping into each other and just letting Burmistrov float by was, well, disgusting.
both tavares and moulson were playing burmistrov to drop it to buff. they were looking for that easy turnover at the blue line. instead, burmistrov kept it meaning they guessed wrong and they both looked foolish in the process.

islandermaniac is offline   Reply With Quote