HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#05 | New York Islanders vs. Winnipeg Jets | Jan 27 | 8:00PM | OT/L 4-5

Old
01-27-2013, 10:53 PM
ICdave
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Islanders post-game audio

Coach Jack Capuano and Evgeni Nabokov.

To listen click here.

ICdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:53 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Who impressed me tonight:
- Nielsen
- Ullstrom
- McDonald

Who I was satisfied with:
- Tavares
- Grabner
- Moulson
- Nabokov
- MacDonald
- Streit
- Strait

Who was just OK or perhaps even 'meh':
- Okposo
- Hamonic
- Martin
- Aucoin
- Reasoner

Who's simply didn't impress in any capacity:
- Carkner
- Boyes
- Boulton

Can't comment on yet:
- Hickey

In general, other than Nabokov, I'm noticing a clear difference between the guys who weren't playing during the lockout and those who were.
You were ok with MacDonald? I saw him make any number of bad plays, not limited to very poor decisions in bad clears that a second more of thought could have been intelligent first passes out. In general though the defense sucked. Carkner was really pathetic. It was like watching Finley in Carkner's sweater at times.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:54 PM
KyleBailey12

Just finished watching on DVR, tough loss. Carkner looked absolutely horrible. It's a shame, last game he actually looked solid. Hickey looked better than Finley would have out there, I was glad he got the start.

Oh and Tavares isn't bad defensively.

Edit: We need a new coach. A good coach doesn't have their team give up the lead so easily.

KyleBailey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Menwithouthat tricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Has there anything about Hamonic's possible injury yet? We lose him for any time and we are in a world of hurt.
All those waiver pickups (+ the Martinek signing) anticipates defensemen injuries occurring along the way. We're better prepared for this injury than we were with our injuries last year.

Menwithouthat tricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post

- Hickey played well considering this is his first NHL game, yes? I see people here crapping on him for pinching in OT. Whatever. The reason they were in OT was because half the club played most of the game poorly. Chew on this, you are on the road in a game only worth 2 points as it is against a western club... yes, gamble.
Only in-conference games this season. Winnipeg is still in the Southeast.

So it's a little different, but I do agree with the aggressive play in OT tonight. Wasn't Hickeys fault, Aucoin made a lousy pass. It happens.

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:57 PM
Renbarg

Nabby should have had that Burmistrov goal.

Happy with a point tbh. They've gone 1-1-1 on the trip so far. They need to figure out a way to get 2 points out of the last two games. It'll be tough with the Pens, followed by the Devils (who look stingy as heck), but its doable.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:58 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menwithouthat tricks View Post
All those waiver pickups (+ the Martinek signing) anticipates defensemen injuries occurring along the way. We're better prepared for this injury than we were with our injuries last year.
I don't know about that. If Travis is out, that means that both Hickey and Finley will be in the lineup. Two rookies, actually adding Strait means that half the blue line is comprised of rookies. Ouch.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:01 PM
GoldenJet89

vCash: 362
Perspective from a jets fan if anyone cares

First, dont be so hard on Nabby. This game could have been over early if it wasnt for him. I was pulling my hair out from all the chances we had in the first but got robbed on. Yea the 4th goal he needs to have but other than that i think he was solid, its unfortunate the puck rolled the way it did on the overtime goal but with a slapshot from close range there isnt really alot you can do about rebound control. the giveaway and backcheck were the real problems with the winning goal

While coach may be right about the first line defensively, on offence they are a handful. Kinda made me nervous when they were on the ice, especially in the third. They kept us pinned in our end a lot. 3rd and 4th line depth definitely needs to be improved.

I was kind of surprised by the lineup sent out in the middle of the overtime, was hamonic hurt?

either way i thought the isles showed a lot of heart battling back and getting the 2 goal lead. then some bad luck, and the jets got some momentum back to tie it up. hard fought game, couldve gone either way in the end. very exciting.

best of luck guys

GoldenJet89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:03 PM
ilovemarkmessier

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleBailey12 View Post
Just finished watching on DVR, tough loss. Carkner looked absolutely horrible. It's a shame, last game he actually looked solid. Hickey looked better than Finley would have out there, I was glad he got the start.

Oh and Tavares isn't bad defensively.

Edit: We need a new coach. A good coach doesn't have their team give up the lead so easily.
Capuano is a possible coach of the year canidate. Do you know where all these waiver wire players came from the Aucoins and Straits they came from Jack scouting other people trash in the AHL. He is our man!

ilovemarkmessier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:05 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
Only in-conference games this season. Winnipeg is still in the Southeast.

So it's a little different, but I do agree with the aggressive play in OT tonight. Wasn't Hickeys fault, Aucoin made a lousy pass. It happens.
Doh, I forgot that realignment didn't happen.

Not a bad first game from the rookie though. I expected more butterfly effect but he did ok. Give him a partner who isn't a defensive flat footed slow liability and give him the green light... I remember his draft year. He does have more skill than what we saw tonight.

Old
01-27-2013, 11:05 PM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
I broke down and got my CI two days ahead of schedule. What a game to come back to. A few thoughts:

- The Isles were lucky to come out with a point. They were significantly out played, outbodied, outhussled, out everythinged the first two periods. Before their third period charge the score should have been Winnipeg 6, Isles 1.

- Hickey played well considering this is his first NHL game, yes? I see people here crapping on him for pinching in OT. Whatever. The reason they were in OT was because half the club played most of the game poorly. Chew on this, you are on the road in a game only worth 2 points as it is against a western club... yes, gamble.

- The game should have been over after the first 40 minutes. The first line slept their way through the first two periods and the rest of the team minus a few guys like Ulstrom and Martin mailed in the game. Nabokov kept them in it too, but he also had more than a few brain farts.

- My Doghouse: Boulton, Carkner, Kyle, Streit (though he is sick, apparently), The coaching staff for the bad line changes, MacDonald, and everyone who did not try to take Burnistrov out after he clipped Tavares high.

- The refs called a tilted game, and I don't say that very often. That last penalty was someone trying to get Peg back in the game.

- The good news - Hickey in, never want to see Finley again in the next two years. Grabner making his presence felt, but hard to do it with the skaters Peg has on the blueline. Tavares finally with a goal.
wanted to point out my agreement on two things: (1) anyone hackin' on hickey for joining the rush in overtime doesn't know how hockey games are played...and won. defencemen in the nhl join a golden opportunity like that 10 times out of 10. his only problem was a bit of puck watching on his back check. if he had just gone back hard, he would have been able to eliminate kane. he playd a noticeably good game overall. (2) the referee call on ullstrom was absolutely ridiculous. a sickening call, really. what else can the islanders expect, though? it's been a long time running now where bull **** calls are made against new york on a nightly basis.

islandermaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:06 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
I don't know about that. If Travis is out, that means that both Hickey and Finley will be in the lineup. Two rookies, actually adding Strait means that half the blue line is comprised of rookies. Ouch.
And I told you it was going to happen too.

Old
01-27-2013, 11:12 PM
ScaredStreit

vCash: 61
Why are people here surprised or upset? The Islanders are not a good team. Period. It was obvious last year-and it's obvious this year. They're lucky Nabby played well enough for a point.

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:29 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchy22 View Post
I'm hoping that people notice how much bigger and faster the Jets are on average.
We were a very fast team last year, and this year we bulked up with Jokinen(6'3" 220 lbs), Poni(6'4" 220 lbs) and Wright (6'4" 200 lbs) who replaced guys like Tim Stapleton(5'9" 180 lbs) and Tanner Glass(6'1" and 210 lbs). Peluso(6'3" 235 lbs) is also a tough character but has yet to put a Jets sweater on.

Pretty sure we're the tallest in the NHL and about 3rd heaviest. No Buff jokes please, he lost weight and doesn't seem gassed playing 26-30 minutes a night.

The Kane/Jokinen/Wheeler line is going to be disgusting if they stay together. All three love going full speed at the net, and the wingers have elite speed.

If we keep Scheifele and he ends up centering the third line we'd have two 6'3" C's and one 6'6" C for the top nine.

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:32 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredStreit View Post
Why are people here surprised or upset? The Islanders are not a good team. Period. It was obvious last year-and it's obvious this year. They're lucky Nabby played well enough for a point.
The Jets aren't either. Although it seems to be turning around this year. There are definitely positives to your team. Board work seems excellent, and your PK is absolutely killer. I love how your PKers just keep skating and moving around. Miles better than the Jets, who seem to just play passive in the middle hoping for a mistake.

You guys seem to need depth past the first line, and defense needs work. I don't know if it's systems or individual talent.

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:44 PM
original islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
We were a very fast team last year, and this year we bulked up with Jokinen(6'3" 220 lbs), Poni(6'4" 220 lbs) and Wright (6'4" 200 lbs) who replaced guys like Tim Stapleton(5'9" 180 lbs) and Tanner Glass(6'1" and 210 lbs). Peluso(6'3" 235 lbs) is also a tough character but has yet to put a Jets sweater on.

Pretty sure we're the tallest in the NHL and about 3rd heaviest. No Buff jokes please, he lost weight and doesn't seem gassed playing 26-30 minutes a night.

The Kane/Jokinen/Wheeler line is going to be disgusting if they stay together. All three love going full speed at the net, and the wingers have elite speed.

If we keep Scheifele and he ends up centering the third line we'd have two 6'3" C's and one 6'6" C for the top nine.
Size and speed are good combinations to win in this league.
Good luck to you against everyone but us.

original islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:50 PM
johnjm22

Kings fan here. How has Hickey looked? (sorry if this was already asked)

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:03 AM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchy22 View Post
Get four lines you can depend on, and roll them in the 3rd period. Have some energy lines that can give the top lines a rest. Improve the size and speed in the lineup. We've got a bit more speed and skill, but the size is still lacking.

With all of that said, the team is generally performing better or where to be expected in most areas considering the current personnel. Heading into the game, I'd have happily accepted a point. Leading by two goals in the 3rd, you need to get that 2nd one. This team has yet to show it can safely hold a lead for a few years now. It's a coaching and a personnel problem.
Fun game to watch. Fast. Lots of goals, fans into it.

I agree about the Isles lines being very imbalanced but I think Bailey and Joensuu will help that (assuming JJ is better than when he left)

Jets: pretty good team, very balanced. Byfuglien is a monster, he is a very good hockey player, I don't care how fat he is. Dominant player at times, smart passes, great shot, tough to defend.

Love the speed they play with. Isles played a very erratic game, sometimes they looked good, other times greatly out worked and out played.

Nabokov was the reason this game was close. But Isles have to close out games when they are up two in the third - inexcusable.

Moulson is so useless on the Isles side of centre. I know everyone dumps on KO these days but defensively, Moulson is horrible. But that first line played well tonight, in spurts. JT needs to be better and he still doesn't mesh well with Okposo. I'd try Boyes on that line but he has looked lazy at times, and slow, ala Moulson.

Like the way Hickey played but let's not kid ourselves, this is not a top four guy. I think he's a very smart player and is better than Finley or Carkner but if Vis shows up, he and Martinek need to dress every game when healthy. I haven't seen any dman who's better than Martinek on this Isles team, except Hamonic.

Cappy is a fool to say "we know what we have in Martinek and want to see what the others can do" - this is a 48 game season, every point matters, this is NOT the preseason !!

Ullstrom looks amazing out there.

Isles are playing better than I expected this season and the games are a blast to watch. I wish they would win more but they are simply lacking in the talent department. They've been in every game and they have Tavares who can make things happen. If they stay healthy, if Visnovsky shows up, if Nabokov plays the way he has, this team will be in the hunt for a playoff spot.

Tavares has not looked sharp, that first line is capable of way more. They have a balanced attack that will only improve with Bailey and JJ and Vis.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:08 AM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Kings fan here. How has Hickey looked? (sorry if this was already asked)
Looked good. Smart player, very smooth skater, good passer. He's a very small defense an though and he will struggle for minutes but he can probably be a 5-6 dman in the NHL as he gets more experience. He was very poised in his first game, played with confidence.

I don't blame him for the OT goal, Hickey pinched on the rush and the Jets scored on the rush. It was the right play. Aucoin tried the pass and it failed, good play by Hainsey.

It was a smart waiver pick-up, that's for sure.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:14 AM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

Quote:
Hey PW, if someone told you during the off-season that 6 games into this season, half our defense (3 of 6) dressing for the game are rookies, AND NONE OF THEM WERE OUR HIGHLY REGARDED PROSPECTS OF DONOVAN, DE HAAN, REINHART, ETC, WOULD YOU HAVE BELIEVED THEM????????

petrocelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 01:03 AM
ichabod13

in the season opener against jersey, hamonic ties it at 7:12 of the third period. david clarkson scores the game winner at 8:17 of the third. elapsed time, 1:05.
moulson ties the toronto game at 1 at 8:39 of the first period. nazim kadri puts toronto back in front 2-1 at 8:44. elapsed time, 1:05.
against the jets, streit puts the islanders up 4-2 at 9:53 of the third period. byfuglien scores at 12:59 to make it 4-3 islanders. evander kane then ties it at 14:04....elapsed time between jets goals? you guessed it.....1:05.

ichabod13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 01:36 AM
original islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichabod13 View Post
in the season opener against jersey, hamonic ties it at 7:12 of the third period. david clarkson scores the game winner at 8:17 of the third. elapsed time, 1:05.
moulson ties the toronto game at 1 at 8:39 of the first period. nazim kadri puts toronto back in front 2-1 at 8:44. elapsed time, 1:05.
against the jets, streit puts the islanders up 4-2 at 9:53 of the third period. byfuglien scores at 12:59 to make it 4-3 islanders. evander kane then ties it at 14:04....elapsed time between jets goals? you guessed it.....1:05.
Wow that is sad. Does anyone know if Cappy is sending out a specific line or d-pairing after each goal? Hopefully this is something that can easily be corrected.

original islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 03:00 AM
ichabod13

ill give capuano one thing. he is honest. during traing camp he said that he wouldnt be as patient with his line combinations. either show that you can play together or not......
and against the jets, he proved to be a man of his word. either late in the second or early in the third, he put ullstrom on tavares line. they looked like crap and the next thing you know, ullstrom is taken off tavares line. AFTER ONE ****ING SHIFT!!!
there is a happy medium between being impatient and too patient. and one shift is no where near it.

ichabod13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 03:54 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredStreit View Post
Nolan would have them playing like a good team. Demanding it.

If anyone was happy with our effort, I would like to know why. And what. This was the worst hockey I have seen any team play in a long, long, long, long time. And we're covering the late 1990's.

Ullstrom, Nabby and Carkner had to shower in another room due to gender disparity. (yes, I included Tavares and Martin).

Cappy and crew have to go. And I was a huge Cappy fan. Since Wanger isn't going anywhere (statute of limitations ran out and Jesus hates the Isles) and Snow is thus safe, I think our only hope is if Snow can convince Wang to hire a real coach.

The basic fundamentals are all gone. Obliterated. The collective group should be far better on ice and just suck save for individual efforts and dumb luck.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 04:15 AM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Nolan would have them playing like a good team. Demanding it.

If anyone was happy with our effort, I would like to know why. And what. This was the worst hockey I have seen any team play in a long, long, long, long time. And we're covering the late 1990's.

Ullstrom, Nabby and Carkner had to shower in another room due to gender disparity. (yes, I included Tavares and Martin).

Cappy and crew have to go. And I was a huge Cappy fan. Since Wanger isn't going anywhere (statute of limitations ran out and Jesus hates the Isles) and Snow is thus safe, I think our only hope is if Snow can convince Wang to hire a real coach.

The basic fundamentals are all gone. Obliterated. The collective group should be far better on ice and just suck save for individual efforts and dumb luck
Totally agree with what you said. Their consistency is just terrible right now. When the Isles tonight actually played their game the Jets had no answer but they didn't do too much of that. Again after going up 4-2 they took their foot off the gas just like they did against Tampa. That is all on the coach to keep them going.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote