HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft

Closed Thread

Old
02-25-2013, 10:53 PM
p9ers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Drouin is a wizard with the puck, but the fact is he's not a sure thing. He's 5'11" and around 185 lbs., and if he's not scoring he's pretty much useless. He doesn't hit and he doesn't play defense.
So he's similar to Huberdeau.

Also, I'm not confident we'll get an high pick. The new lottery format gives a chance for every team out of the playoff to get the first pick. The Panthers could be dead last in the league and still end up picking 6th or something.

Old
02-25-2013, 11:17 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

vCash: 835
The team that wins the lottery gets the 1st overall pick (instead of just moving up four spots). So if we're dead last and another team wins the lottery, we'd pick 2nd.

-ghoste

Old
02-26-2013, 02:38 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by p9ers View Post
So he's similar to Huberdeau.

Also, I'm not confident we'll get an high pick. The new lottery format gives a chance for every team out of the playoff to get the first pick. The Panthers could be dead last in the league and still end up picking 6th or something.
Huby is a lot better defensively and in the physical department/playing in traffic. Huby played a more pro style game in junior. It's not even that he was that great defensively, but that just shows you how lacking Drouin is in certain areas. You could see how Huby's game would translate easily to the NHL. MacKinnon is the same way, his game will translate very well to the NHL. Drouin is going to have to make adjustments in order to be a big scorer at the NHL level. Not that he can't do it, but there are some question marks. That said, he does have a great work ethic. Drouin is a better stickhandler than Huby and probably has better hands, but in the NHL he can't rely solely on his hands like he does now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoste View Post
The team that wins the lottery gets the 1st overall pick (instead of just moving up four spots). So if we're dead last and another team wins the lottery, we'd pick 2nd.

-ghoste
Correct.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:32 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherboyHTR View Post
I'm assuming most of you have seen the video of Drouin's "shift of the year". How do you not pick this kid?!?!

After watching that video, I'm not convinced he's gonna be that great as a pro. Most of those moves wouldn't have worked in the NHL and he would've been pummeled by an NHL d-man. I guess that goes to what MR is saying about who you can project as an NHLer. Personally, I'm now of the opinion to stay far away from Drouin as opposed to other guys who would be available like Barkov if we were picking after MacKinnon & Jones were taken.

And if we had the #2 pick and MacKinnon is gone, we still take Jones without question. With the comparisons I've read, it ranges from Chris Pronger to Rob Blake to Eric Johnson. If he projects to be like Rob Blake, I'm totally on board with him 110% (one of my fav players all-time).

Old
02-26-2013, 09:42 AM
IceManCat
Tank Disarmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
After watching that video, I'm not convinced he's gonna be that great as a pro. Most of those moves wouldn't have worked in the NHL and he would've been pummeled by an NHL d-man. I guess that goes to what MR is saying about who you can project as an NHLer. Personally, I'm now of the opinion to stay far away from Drouin as opposed to other guys who would be available like Barkov if we were picking after MacKinnon & Jones were taken.

And if we had the #2 pick and MacKinnon is gone, we still take Jones without question. With the comparisons I've read, it ranges from Chris Pronger to Rob Blake to Eric Johnson. If he projects to be like Rob Blake, I'm totally on board with him 110% (one of my fav players all-time).

Jones doesn't have a mean streak like Pronger, and is a much better skater than Blake. I think he is an exact comparison to Alex Pietrangelo. Our teams needs some size up front, I would pass on Drouin also.

Old
02-26-2013, 11:17 AM
AaronEkbald
Nothing to see here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Drouin is a wizard with the puck, but the fact is he's not a sure thing. He's 5'11" and around 185 lbs., and if he's not scoring he's pretty much useless. He doesn't hit and he doesn't play defense.

MacKinnon is bigger, faster, stronger, more physical, better defensively, and is more of sure thing at the NHL level because he'll probably be better offensively because of all those things. He's a high end 2nd line forward at worst. The only edge Drouin has on MacKinnon is his hands, and probably hockey sense but that's slight.

Jones is an incredible defense prospect who literally has no holes in his game. He can do it on offense, defense, in the physical department. He can rush the puck up ice or make terrific breakout passes. And he's 6'4" 210 lbs. already, and skates like he's 5'10".

Drouin has holes in his game, the other two don't.
I heard everyone rave that way about Gudbranson.

Also, I disagree with you about having holes in his game. The only hole might be his offensive production. He's not dominating the WHL with goals or assists. So, I think it's fair to say there's limited offensive potential since we're not seeing it a lot in juniors.

I'm not sure how smart it would be to choose another defenseman in the first round. ANOTHER ONE.. in consecutive years.

DT hasn't brought in the big fish in FA yet. It's unlikely that will bring Perry or Getzlaf over here. We need offensive studs and we need 'em badly since we have only one (not a stud yet, but with great potential).

Huberdeau and then what? Bjugstad?

Drouin or MacKinnon could help round out our offensive future. I prefer Mac over Drouin. But if we're faced with Drouin or Jones.. I'm just not sure if picking the d-man would be the right decision. Remember our past defesive studs. Bouwmeester.. Still hasn't seen the playoffs. We shouldn't make the same mistake.

Last edited by AaronEkbald: 02-26-2013 at 11:25 AM.
Old
02-26-2013, 12:22 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Rypien Farts View Post
I heard everyone rave that way about Gudbranson.

Also, I disagree with you about having holes in his game. The only hole might be his offensive production. He's not dominating the WHL with goals or assists. So, I think it's fair to say there's limited offensive potential since we're not seeing it a lot in juniors.

I'm not sure how smart it would be to choose another defenseman in the first round. ANOTHER ONE.. in consecutive years.

DT hasn't brought in the big fish in FA yet. It's unlikely that will bring Perry or Getzlaf over here. We need offensive studs and we need 'em badly since we have only one (not a stud yet, but with great potential).

Huberdeau and then what? Bjugstad?

Drouin or MacKinnon could help round out our offensive future. I prefer Mac over Drouin. But if we're faced with Drouin or Jones.. I'm just not sure if picking the d-man would be the right decision. Remember our past defesive studs. Bouwmeester.. Still hasn't seen the playoffs. We shouldn't make the same mistake.
The response to taking Jones will be to trade Kulikov for a forward. It assumes a lot.

Like you alluded to, Bouw was a can't miss d-man with all the tools who could skate as well as anyone. Now everyone agrees we made the wrong pick.

I agree that we should take a forward. There are plenty of quality D to be had in other parts of the first and second round. Kulikov is a good example of this. Erik Karlsson is the best. D are harder to project, take a longer time to develop, and we *need* more high end offensive talent. Bjugstad is nice prospect, but I don't see a ppg player in him. Hubs, I do.

Old
02-26-2013, 12:23 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Just because Bouw didn't work, doesn't mean we don't pick a guy like Jones.

Still don't understand people not liking Gudbranson. Makes zero sense to me.

02-26-2013, 12:34 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post

Because Guds doesn't look like a third overall pick so far. He looks like a guy in the 10-20 range, imo. You'd expect him to be more impressive for where he was drafted. A lot of nights you don't even notice him. Maybe it's Dineen's fault for not giving him enough ice time.

And as I said above, D are harder to project at the NHL level and take longer to develop. Plus, you can draft quality ones all throughout the first and second round.

Old
02-26-2013, 12:52 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
Because Guds doesn't look like a third overall pick so far. He looks like a guy in the 10-20 range, imo. You'd expect him to be more impressive for where he was drafted. A lot of nights you don't even notice him. Maybe it's Dineen's fault for not giving him enough ice time.

And as I said above, D are harder to project at the NHL level and take longer to develop. Plus, you can draft quality ones all throughout the first and second round.
********, he's been fine. Unrealistic expectations. I notice him every night, because I look for him. No glaring mistkes most night, big hits, he's fine for me.

Old
02-26-2013, 12:54 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
********, he's been fine. Unrealistic expectations. I notice him every night, because I look for him. No glaring mistkes most night, big hits, he's fine for me.
he's been fine, exactly. Fine is not what we need. We need our third overall pick to be more than fine. It's not unrealistic expectations for the third overall pick. Expectations are higher for top draft picks.

Old
02-26-2013, 12:59 PM
AaronEkbald
Nothing to see here

Quote:

I never said that I didn't like Gud.

In fact, I do like Gud and his what he brings each night. I think he's still pretty young and has to improve on some areas to be as effect as possible in the NHL. His attitude and work ethic are admirable. Gud is a great asset.

I think we have a nice future on defense..

Kulikov, Strachan (27), Gudbranson, Robak, Petrovic, Matheson, (future 2013 2nd round pick - defenseman)

We have guys who project to be #1D, #2D, top-four pairing, etc

We do not have the same depth on offense.

Aside from Huberdeau.. Who projects to be a top-liner, let alone crack the top-six.. Bjugstad?

Look. Currently, our best line is Hub - Shore - Mueller. Aside from that, we have a bunch of guys scattered all over the place. We need long-term, high-end stability up front.

Adding MacKinnon or Drouin helps our chances of creating our own version of Kane/ Toews

Old
02-26-2013, 01:00 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
he's been fine, exactly. Fine is not what we need. We need our third overall pick to be more than fine. It's not unrealistic expectations for the third overall pick. Expectations are higher for top draft picks.
Nope, BS. Unrealistic expectations. You want him to do what exactly? What more does the kid need to do? What guy picked around him with his skill set has done more?? Most with his skill set take longer to develop to the point where he is.

Fine isn't a knock.

Old
02-26-2013, 01:03 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:

In fact, I do like Gud and his what he brings each night. I think he's still pretty young and has to improve on some areas to be as effect as possible in the NHL. His attitude and work ethic are admirable. Gud is a great asset.

Kulikov, Strachan (27), Gudbranson, Robak, Petrovic, Matheson, (future 2013 2nd round pick - defenseman)

Aside from Huberdeau.. Who projects to be a top-liner, let alone crack the top-six.. Bjugstad?

Look. Currently, our best line is Hub - Shore - Mueller. Aside from that, we have a bunch of guys scattered all over the place. We need long-term, high-end stability up front.

Adding MacKinnon or Drouin helps our chances of creating our own version of Kane/ Toews
Thank you for explaining and sorry I took it the wrong way. I do agree with above, but I'm still ok with Jones. I'd guess Kuli or a package would ho for some O if we took him.

Old
02-26-2013, 01:11 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Nope, BS. Unrealistic expectations. You want him to do what exactly? What more does the kid need to do? What guy picked around him with his skill set has done more?? Most with his skill set take longer to develop to the point where he is.

Fine isn't a knock.
That's part of the problem drafting a d-man that high up. It does take longer to develop. Bouw was better in his first and second years, Doughty, Kulikov all come to mind. Karlsson was better. Fowler has had more of an impact though not as good defensively. Victor Hedman and Adam Larson have been better and been asked to do more, imo.

And Jovo was definitely better his first few years.

We all like Guds but there is no way he's been as good as advertised. You're talking about the #1 dman in that class. Third guy picked. First d-man picked. That comes as it should with high expectations. I wouldn't be surprised to see a guy like Justin Faulk become the best d-man in that class. He's like a Doughty lite.

Old
02-26-2013, 01:14 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
That's part of the problem drafting a d-man that high up. It does take longer to develop. Bouw was better in his first and second years, Doughty, Kulikov all come to mind. Karlsson was better. Fowler has had more of an impact though not as good defensively. Victor Hedman and Adam Larson have been better and been asked to do more, imo.

We all like Guds but there is no way he's been as good as advertised. You're talking about the #1 dman in that class. I wouldn't be surprised to see a guy like Justin Faulk become the best d-man in that class. He's like a Doughty lite.
Sorry, you're wrong. You look for shortcomings in his game while looking for positives in Kuli's.

Old
02-26-2013, 01:20 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Sorry, you're wrong. You look for shortcomings in his game while looking for positives in Kuli's.
Please, I constantly say Kulikov is good for making one really stupid play a game and his offensive game needs a lot of work. I'm just honest in my assessments with players. I think Guds does a lot of things well, I do think he hasn't he's lived up to #3 overall expectations and I'm sure others feel the same way. In fact, I've seen other people say the same thing.

I'm a big fan of Gudrbanson and Kulikov.

Old
02-26-2013, 01:40 PM
Howboutthempanthers
No Bandwagon Allowed

Quote:
Well, I would say that is the exact reason why I would not to draft Drouin that high. He is good, but too risky for a pick that high IMO. Maybe if you pick him at #8 or something like that...

Old
02-26-2013, 02:28 PM
Knightmare

Guds is 21 and in his 2nd year...Don't worry about him, he's going to keep improving.

Old
02-26-2013, 02:29 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:

Do you think Kulikov still projects to be a #1D though? After what you have seen this yr as well? Honestly, I still dont get why everyone thinks he's gonna develop that much more from what he currently is. Sure he's totally a top 4 d-man on any team in the league. And definitely a #3 guy in my book. But I dont see a #1 d-man in him anymore.

But if we did draft Jones, he's got more upside than Gudbranson (better offensive skillset) so he can be a good #1D. Guds has always been projected as a top pairing d-man who may or may not develop the offensive game more. He still has some time more to develop though as he's only appeared in 89 NHL games (both reg season & playoffs). Honestly, identify a player projected to go in the top 10 of that draft that is playing better than Guds now or projects that much better. Skinner is really the only guy that has been playing better and he was never expected to be a top 5 pick even. Guds has been solid and has looked like he will become a top pairing d-man. People complaining that you dont notice him drives me crazy because if you do notice him, it would be because he's doing some wrong and costing the team in some way.

As far as depth on the offensive side, we definitely have a lot of prospects that have top 6 projections. Ignoring Shore who's in the NHL right now and Bjugstad who you have already mentioned, there's Howden, Grimaldi, Trocheck & Rau that all have top 6 upside right now. Howden seems like the most sure thing and Grimaldi seems to have the most skill of that group. Grimaldi probably could be a top liner and HF has him projected that way too. A top line in the future of Huberdeau-Bjugstad-Grimaldi would be pretty solid and be extremely skilled. Really, Bjugstad would be the question mark on that line so adding a center who is a true top liner would be beneficial. MacKinnon, Barkov & Monahan seem like they could be upgrades on Bjugstad (with Mac being the only sure one definitely better).

But if it comes down to MacKinnon is already taken and we have to choose between Jones & lets say Barkov or Drouin, I would take Jones still even if we could use Barkov too. Jones just projects as an excellent NHL player, period. If we are picking 3rd for instance, I still go a different way than Drouin myself and take Barkov over him. Heck, right now I'm personally thinking we dont end up as low as everyone thinks and hope we can select Monahan who has been compared to Toews by several people.

Old
02-26-2013, 02:32 PM
p9ers

Quote:
People were selling me Pronger. I'm not seeing that.
He's still young and doing well, so I'll wait.

I feel like many of Kuli's mistakes are the coaches letting him leeway to explore his offensive game. That's by doing these mistakes that he'll know what he can constantly get away with and what he can't. Just take his pinching, they have gotten much better and he loses them much less than at the begining of the year.
I'd like Gud to do the same.

Old
02-26-2013, 02:35 PM
PanthersHockey1
Avs Bandwagon

it seems as though the longer we wait to trade weiss or perhaps fleischmann lets say the more likely we will trade for a first round draft pick imo. With two first round draft picks for example, Detroit's first that gives up a pick around 20th and a top 5. No reason we have to choose. Take offense top 5 and take defense at 20 add to petrovic and matheson and this new pick our defense cupboards will be stocked with quality.

Old
02-26-2013, 02:59 PM
I May Be Wrong
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to I May Be Wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersHockey1 View Post
it seems as though the longer we wait to trade weiss or perhaps fleischmann lets say the more likely we will trade for a first round draft pick imo. With two first round draft picks for example, Detroit's first that gives up a pick around 20th and a top 5. No reason we have to choose. Take offense top 5 and take defense at 20 add to petrovic and matheson and this new pick our defense cupboards will be stocked with quality.
Why are we talking about trading Fleischmann exactly? The guy was our leading goal scorer and point producer all of last season. He just signed his contract. So we trade him because we suck this season? Come on. I don't think we are in any position to be trading away the very few skilled forwards we have.

Last edited by I May Be Wrong: 02-26-2013 at 03:04 PM.
Old
02-26-2013, 03:03 PM
AaronEkbald
Nothing to see here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
Do you think Kulikov still projects to be a #1D though? After what you have seen this yr as well? Honestly, I still dont get why everyone thinks he's gonna develop that much more from what he currently is. Sure he's totally a top 4 d-man on any team in the league. And definitely a #3 guy in my book. But I dont see a #1 d-man in him anymore.

But if we did draft Jones, he's got more upside than Gudbranson (better offensive skillset) so he can be a good #1D. Guds has always been projected as a top pairing d-man who may or may not develop the offensive game more. He still has some time more to develop though as he's only appeared in 89 NHL games (both reg season & playoffs). Honestly, identify a player projected to go in the top 10 of that draft that is playing better than Guds now or projects that much better. Skinner is really the only guy that has been playing better and he was never expected to be a top 5 pick even. Guds has been solid and has looked like he will become a top pairing d-man. People complaining that you dont notice him drives me crazy because if you do notice him, it would be because he's doing some wrong and costing the team in some way.

As far as depth on the offensive side, we definitely have a lot of prospects that have top 6 projections. Ignoring Shore who's in the NHL right now and Bjugstad who you have already mentioned, there's Howden, Grimaldi, Trocheck & Rau that all have top 6 upside right now. Howden seems like the most sure thing and Grimaldi seems to have the most skill of that group. Grimaldi probably could be a top liner and HF has him projected that way too. A top line in the future of Huberdeau-Bjugstad-Grimaldi would be pretty solid and be extremely skilled. Really, Bjugstad would be the question mark on that line so adding a center who is a true top liner would be beneficial. MacKinnon, Barkov & Monahan seem like they could be upgrades on Bjugstad (with Mac being the only sure one definitely better).

But if it comes down to MacKinnon is already taken and we have to choose between Jones & lets say Barkov or Drouin, I would take Jones still even if we could use Barkov too. Jones just projects as an excellent NHL player, period. If we are picking 3rd for instance, I still go a different way than Drouin myself and take Barkov over him. Heck, right now I'm personally thinking we dont end up as low as everyone thinks and hope we can select Monahan who has been compared to Toews by several people.
Honestly, I don't know. To me, he's got more positives than negatives to his game. I think he needs work on the timing and accuracy of his shot. He misses the net during so many key times in games. I like his quickness and ability to move the puck.

Hope DT doesn't give up on him yet. Too early in his career.

Old
02-26-2013, 03:06 PM
AaronEkbald
Nothing to see here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booootthh View Post
Why are we talking about trading Fleischmann exactly? The guy was our leading goal scorer and point producer all of last season. He just signed his contract. So we trade him because we suck this season? Come on. I don't think we are in any position to be trading away the very few skilled forwards we have.
Trade value, dude.

But, you can count me out on that one. I think trading Fleischmann would be a mistake.

Closed Thread