HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-25-2013, 10:16 AM
  #526
PanthersHockey1
Avs Bandwagon
 
PanthersHockey1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: UF & Boca Raton
Country: United States
Posts: 5,467
vCash: 500
nvm.

PanthersHockey1 is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 10:25 AM
  #527
RainingRats
Registered User
 
RainingRats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 9,960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Rypien Farts View Post
I said this before but might as well reiterate..There's a potential franchise center out there in the draft (MacKinnon). It would be silly not to take him. As good as our prospect pool is, we have no one with elite skill besides Huberdeau coming out of there.
There's going to be at least a 75% chance we don't pick number 1. I think most teams will pick him so we're going to have to decide between Drouin, Barkov, and Jones.

RainingRats is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 11:26 AM
  #528
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 26,979
vCash: 500
I seriously hope we land McKinnon, if not, I'm hoping for Jones.

__________________
So you're saying there's a chance!
Laus723 is online now  
Old
03-25-2013, 11:33 AM
  #529
AaronEkbald
Nothing to see here
 
AaronEkbald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 3,658
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
There's going to be at least a 75% chance we don't pick number 1. I think most teams will pick him so we're going to have to decide between Drouin, Barkov, and Jones.
Yep.

AaronEkbald is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 11:57 AM
  #530
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!
 
AwesomePanthers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Norway
Posts: 8,589
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
There's going to be at least a 75% chance we don't pick number 1. I think most teams will pick him so we're going to have to decide between Drouin, Barkov, and Jones.
I would put lots of money on that most teams have Jones #1, and I'm fairly certain of it too.

And I don't want Barkov, I think he's overhyped.

AwesomePanthers is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 12:06 PM
  #531
J17 Vs Proclamation
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Reading.
Country: South Korea
Posts: 7,807
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomePanthers View Post
I would put lots of money on that most teams have Jones #1, and I'm fairly certain of it too.

And I don't want Barkov, I think he's overhyped.
A good deals of teams will have Jones #1.

Secondly, Barkov isn't overhyped. He's going to be an Anze Kopitar/Mats Sundin type NHL Forward. The only real weakness in his game is his skating, and to be honest, it's actually pretty fine for his size. He actually used to be a very good skater before he grew quickly. Few years and he'll be an excellent skater for his size.

It all depends what you want. If you want a #1 minute muncher who cna impact both ends of the rink, Jones. If you want a dynamic goal scorer, Mackinnon. If you want a silky puck possession player, Drouin. If you want a dominant two way #1 center, Barkov.

This isn't 2010. We aren't having to settle for Gudbranson after the top tier is drafted. We're getting a gifted prospect no matter what.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 12:12 PM
  #532
PBPantherfan
Here we go again
 
PBPantherfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Lake Worth, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 2,217
vCash: 500
So 15 games left what do we need to do to guarantee #2 (when we lose the lottery) 3-9-3? There is some serious tanking competition this year. God was hoping not to be on the tank wagon again after last year, but if we are going to suck suck enough to get a good pick.

PBPantherfan is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 12:16 PM
  #533
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 26,979
vCash: 500
Who do you want J17ster?

Laus723 is online now  
Old
03-25-2013, 12:24 PM
  #534
PanthersHockey1
Avs Bandwagon
 
PanthersHockey1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: UF & Boca Raton
Country: United States
Posts: 5,467
vCash: 500
After watching a lot of drouin highlights he reminds me almost exactly of huberdeau making gifted plays with incredible stick handling. I dont know if that what this team needs right now we need a pure goal scorer to finish on huberdeaus chances.

PanthersHockey1 is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 12:26 PM
  #535
J17 Vs Proclamation
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Reading.
Country: South Korea
Posts: 7,807
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Mackinnon or Barkov are probably my marginal preferences. I honestly think Barkov might be the best choice down the line when your a cup contender, but Mackinnon/Drouin will probably have higher peak production.

Lindholm/Monahan are very very good prospects too, and you can argue Nichushkin warrants being in the discussion too, since some scouts do have him in their Top 3.

We're either getting Jones or a fantastic Forward prospect. If we are in the Top 6, i want absolutely no part of Zadorov/Nurse etc.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 12:37 PM
  #536
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥
 
SoupyFIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Finland
Posts: 19,399
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomePanthers View Post
And I don't want Barkov, I think he's overhyped.
More like underhyped, at least in the media.

If you're talking about HF, every prospect has it's "OMG THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST PLAYER EVER!!!!" posters who hype them. Barkov is no exception on that case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
Secondly, Barkov isn't overhyped. He's going to be an Anze Kopitar/Mats Sundin type NHL Forward. The only real weakness in his game is his skating, and to be honest, it's actually pretty fine for his size. He actually used to be a very good skater before he grew quickly. Few years and he'll be an excellent skater for his size.

It all depends what you want. If you want a #1 minute muncher who cna impact both ends of the rink, Jones. If you want a dynamic goal scorer, Mackinnon. If you want a silky puck possession player, Drouin. If you want a dominant two way #1 center, Barkov.

This isn't 2010. We aren't having to settle for Gudbranson after the top tier is drafted. We're getting a gifted prospect no matter what.
IMO if we miss out on MacKinnon, Barkov would be the 2nd best thing to fit Tallon's plan. I don't want to draft another d-man, no matter how special he's supposed to be.

By fitting to the plan, I mean that both Drouin and Barkov (physically Barkov could play, but I'd rather see him get used to the 1st line center role for another year or two and hone his skills some more) are probably still 1-2 years away from the NHL after they're drafted. For Drouin it's make the team or back to juniors where he's going to be far superior player compared to the younger players. For Barkov, he's going to play against men, no matter where he plays.

Barkov could be the Toews of this team that Tallon is looking for, and Huber could focus more on scoring instead of passing, thou Sasha has a pretty good shot too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersHockey1 View Post
After watching a lot of drouin highlights he reminds me almost exactly of huberdeau making gifted plays with incredible stick handling. I dont know if that what this team needs right now we need a pure goal scorer to finish on huberdeaus chances.
Or a player that can feed Huber and turn him into more of a goal scorer.

SoupyFIN is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 12:54 PM
  #537
AaronEkbald
Nothing to see here
 
AaronEkbald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 3,658
vCash: 500
MacKinnon is sitting in 3rd in the rankings.. Yet, no one is willing to bet he goes 3rd..

AaronEkbald is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 12:59 PM
  #538
AaronEkbald
Nothing to see here
 
AaronEkbald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 3,658
vCash: 500
Florida - MacKinnon
Colorado - Drouin
Tampa Bay - Jones
Calgary - Barkov

Everybody is happy.

AaronEkbald is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 01:05 PM
  #539
J17 Vs Proclamation
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Reading.
Country: South Korea
Posts: 7,807
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Rypien Farts View Post
MacKinnon is sitting in 3rd in the rankings.. Yet, no one is willing to bet he goes 3rd..
You need to understand that no single ranking is definitive. NHL draft lists vary wildly. Mackinnon will be #1 on some, others he probably wouldn't be Top 3. Nichushkin will be Top 5 on some, probably not top 15 in others. Some will have Lindholm higher than 5 or 6. Barkov will be Top 2 on some i imagine. Etc etc etc.

We get that you want Mackinnon. I entirely disagree with much of your logic behind it, but i understand what you mean. No point rambling on with the same sentence every post.


Soupy, much of my reasoning for wanting Barkov is based on the package he can offer. He's incredibly talented offensively, has a huge physical frame, is incredibly dedicated and professional and just screams effective clutch player to me. I wouldn't be disappointed if we drafted 4th and took him!

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 01:09 PM
  #540
AaronEkbald
Nothing to see here
 
AaronEkbald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 3,658
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
You need to understand that no single ranking is definitive. NHL draft lists vary wildly. Mackinnon will be #1 on some, others he probably wouldn't be Top 3. Nichushkin will be Top 5 on some, probably not top 15 in others. Some will have Lindholm higher than 5 or 6. Barkov will be Top 2 on some i imagine. Etc etc etc.

We get that you want Mackinnon. I entirely disagree with much of your logic behind it, but i understand what you mean. No point rambling on with the same sentence every post.


Soupy, much of my reasoning for wanting Barkov is based on the package he can offer. He's incredibly talented offensively, has a huge physical frame, is incredibly dedicated and professional and just screams effective clutch player to me. I wouldn't be disappointed if we drafted 4th and took him!
True. But, I have the right to post whatever I want as long as I follow the rules.

AaronEkbald is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 01:19 PM
  #541
HockeyRulez
Welcome back Lu!
 
HockeyRulez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Sunshine State
Country: United States
Posts: 2,351
vCash: 500
Randon question: why did we ever put Huberdeau at LW? I mean he's been doing well but he played C in the QMJHL so why change? If he played C I'd be fine with a Drouin pick cause he can be his LW but since Huby is LW, it makes sense to pick a Mackinnon to be his C or even try playing him on RW with his right-handed shot and put Shore or Bjugstad between the two....

HockeyRulez is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 01:19 PM
  #542
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥
 
SoupyFIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Finland
Posts: 19,399
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
Soupy, much of my reasoning for wanting Barkov is based on the package he can offer. He's incredibly talented offensively, has a huge physical frame, is incredibly dedicated and professional and just screams effective clutch player to me. I wouldn't be disappointed if we drafted 4th and took him!
I'm just a bit nervous about Tallon picking mostly guys from NA in the 1st round, that if he's just going to pass Barkov because he's European.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyRulez View Post
Randon question: why did we ever put Huberdeau at LW? I mean he's been doing well but he played C in the QMJHL so why change? If he played C I'd be fine with a Drouin pick cause he can be his LW but since Huby is LW, it makes sense to pick a Mackinnon to be his C or even try playing him on RW with his right-handed shot and put Shore or Bjugstad between the two....
I thought Huber played LW always at the QMJHL too..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Thanks...Barkov physical??
Not your typical Paul Laus physical, but he surely doesn't shy away from it.

SoupyFIN is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 01:20 PM
  #543
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 26,979
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
Mackinnon or Barkov are probably my marginal preferences. I honestly think Barkov might be the best choice down the line when your a cup contender, but Mackinnon/Drouin will probably have higher peak production.

Lindholm/Monahan are very very good prospects too, and you can argue Nichushkin warrants being in the discussion too, since some scouts do have him in their Top 3.

We're either getting Jones or a fantastic Forward prospect. If we are in the Top 6, i want absolutely no part of Zadorov/Nurse etc.
Thanks...Barkov physical??

Laus723 is online now  
Old
03-25-2013, 01:24 PM
  #544
J17 Vs Proclamation
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Reading.
Country: South Korea
Posts: 7,807
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
I'm just a bit nervous about Tallon picking mostly guys from NA in the 1st round, that if he's just going to pass Barkov because he's European.
No doubt Tallon and our scouts seem to have a preference for North American talent. Of course, this bias doesn't mean it will manifest itself in a negative way all the time. Of course i would hope they have an open mind. Some teams simply have better European scouting than others. Detroit, Ottawa, Vancouver for instance have very good Euro scouts. To be honest, we have pretty ordinary European scouts. We do have one Russian scout who is given some rope apparently, judging by the random kosov/Delnov selections from the MHL. Barkov is pretty well known though, so NA draft bias (It does exist) shouldn't be a factor. Plus the NA talent in this draft is awesome too!

Just glad Tallon didn't have a higher pick last year, since the NA Forwards were horrendous IMO.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 01:26 PM
  #545
J17 Vs Proclamation
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Reading.
Country: South Korea
Posts: 7,807
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Thanks...Barkov physical??
As in mean? Nah, he isn't. He's not a power forward. He uses his size very well, excellent reach and puck protection. Think of how Thornton/Kopitar use their size.

Age is a little over-stated draft wise, but he is one of the youngest available players. He's nearly 2014 eligible.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 01:37 PM
  #546
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥
 
SoupyFIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Finland
Posts: 19,399
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
No doubt Tallon and our scouts seem to have a preference for North American talent. Of course, this bias doesn't mean it will manifest itself in a negative way all the time. Of course i would hope they have an open mind. Some teams simply have better European scouting than others. Detroit, Ottawa, Vancouver for instance have very good Euro scouts. To be honest, we have pretty ordinary European scouts. We do have one Russian scout who is given some rope apparently, judging by the random kosov/Delnov selections from the MHL. Barkov is pretty well known though, so NA draft bias (It does exist) shouldn't be a factor. Plus the NA talent in this draft is awesome too!
I'm going to be seriously pissed if we do end up at that 4th spot with Barkov still available and Tallon passes on him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
Just glad Tallon didn't have a higher pick last year, since the NA Forwards were horrendous IMO.
I'm going to hate Ray Shero to the grave for picking Maatta one freakin' pick before ours. But now I'm not that mad anymore, seems Matheson was a quality pick too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
As in mean? Nah, he isn't. He's not a power forward. He uses his size very well, excellent reach and puck protection. Think of how Thornton/Kopitar use their size.
Pretty much nailed it. He doesn't go for the game changing hits, but isn't afraid of throwing one or getting one back either.

edit: And speaking of the devil, 0+1 in Game 4 tied at 2-2 with 5 minutes to go in the 3rd.

SoupyFIN is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 01:39 PM
  #547
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 26,979
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
As in mean? Nah, he isn't. He's not a power forward. He uses his size very well, excellent reach and puck protection. Think of how Thornton/Kopitar use their size.

Age is a little over-stated draft wise, but he is one of the youngest available players. He's nearly 2014 eligible.
Yeah he's a big boy. Tall and weighty, he could top out at 6'5.

Really, sounds like any of these kids could be a win and pair well with Hubs. He and Jugs would make a huge one-two punch.

Laus723 is online now  
Old
03-25-2013, 01:41 PM
  #548
RainingRats
Registered User
 
RainingRats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 9,960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Yeah he's a big boy. Tall and weighty, he could top out at 6'5.

Really, sounds like any of these kids could be a win and pair well with Hubs. He and Jugs would make a huge one-two pairing.
Barkov, Bjugstad, Shore, and Matthias down the middle would be some serious size. It has to be one of the biggest group of centers in the league.

RainingRats is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 01:48 PM
  #549
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 26,979
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
I'm going to be seriously pissed if we do end up at that 4th spot with Barkov still available and Tallon passes on him.

I'm going to hate Ray Shero to the grave for picking Maatta one freakin' pick before ours. But now I'm not that mad anymore, seems Matheson was a quality pick too.

Pretty much nailed it. He doesn't go for the game changing hits, but isn't afraid of throwing one or getting one back either.

edit: And speaking of the devil, 0+1 in Game 4 tied at 2-2 with 5 minutes to go in the 3rd.
Nice. You guys know how I like my hockey, meaner the better. Not saying I don't love Huberdeau though.

Laus723 is online now  
Old
03-25-2013, 01:49 PM
  #550
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 26,979
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
Barkov, Bjugstad, Shore, and Matthias down the middle would be some serious size. It has to be one of the biggest group of centers in the league.
Meant to say punch, you're too quick for my edit, but yeah that'd be nice. Mueller on other side of Huberdau and Barkov?

Laus723 is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:59 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.