HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft

Closed Thread

Old
03-27-2013, 04:28 PM
Howboutthempanthers
No Bandwagon Allowed

vCash: 500
Drouin's fine, but not for the top pick.

Old
03-27-2013, 06:16 PM
Haj

vCash: 50
I'd be wary of penciling in next year's first round pick as a starter.

That's not the correct way to develop prospects.

Old
03-27-2013, 06:30 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haj View Post

Inking isn't, but I'd say there's nothin wrong with penciling him.

03-27-2013, 10:07 PM
FrolikFan67

http://theqmjhl.ca/roster/show/id/8610

i posted this in the drouin thread but i thought it was hilarious. look, his hometown is Huberdeau,QC, we gotta draft him now!

Old
03-28-2013, 10:06 AM
Dr Beinfest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haj View Post

It completely depends on who it is. More often than not, the #1 pick is ready for the NHL. Assuming we achieve #1.

Old
03-28-2013, 11:59 AM
King Panther
ElGrandeDbagSupreme

Id say Huberdeau was ready for the NHL talent wise after he was drafted, but not physically. Im guessing any of the top 3 guys this year are talent ready, but may not necessarily be physically ready

Old
03-28-2013, 12:37 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Panther View Post
Id say Huberdeau was ready for the NHL talent wise after he was drafted, but not physically. Im guessing any of the top 3 guys this year are talent ready, but may not necessarily be physically ready
I think Jones and Mac are ready for NHL next year. Barkov is ready physically, but from what I read, he still needs to work on his skating.

Old
03-29-2013, 02:36 AM
Dr Beinfest

Whatever it is, I think it's pretty kickass that we only had to suck for half a season and we're still getting a top-5

Old
03-29-2013, 04:42 AM
Howboutthempanthers
No Bandwagon Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Beinfest View Post
Whatever it is, I think it's pretty kickass that we only had to suck for half a season and we're still getting a top-5
This.

Old
03-29-2013, 01:06 PM
WhiteMandingo

Bruins fan coming in peace. This may have already been said but I think it depends on if Weiss re-signs or not. The Panthers have alot of depth at forward but if Weiss leaves then there is a big hole at center that Mackinnon can fill. If Weiss stays then I think Jones would make more sense.

Old
03-30-2013, 02:55 PM
Cats Kneading Goals
Man In Black

I've always been a draft the bpa and fill needs through free agency kind of fan.

Old
03-30-2013, 08:40 PM
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march

vCash: 450
Having watched MacKinnon, Drouin, and Huberdeau all develop first hand, I can confidently say that MacKinnon and Drouin will be better players than Huberdeau (and nothing against him at all!).

And both more NHL ready than Huber appeared to be this time last year as well.

You guys are going to have some firepower in a couple years

Old
03-31-2013, 01:09 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!

Very tight race for the 1st overall. Flames and Avs are both dangerously close to passing us.

If we find some way to **** this up and make us draft like 6th, I'd might go for Monahan. Amazing production on a terrible team. Good leader.

If we somehow got another 1st, which I highly unlikely, I'd like to grab Domi too. Very skilled player. Maybe we can trade up though, but I don't see us picking forward both with our 1st and 2nd round pick.

If we lose out on MacKinnon, I'm gonna be so upset.

Old
03-31-2013, 01:41 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazinBruins View Post
Bruins fan coming in peace. This may have already been said but I think it depends on if Weiss re-signs or not. The Panthers have alot of depth at forward but if Weiss leaves then there is a big hole at center that Mackinnon can fill. If Weiss stays then I think Jones would make more sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensBandwagonerNo272 View Post
Having watched MacKinnon, Drouin, and Huberdeau all develop first hand, I can confidently say that MacKinnon and Drouin will be better players than Huberdeau (and nothing against him at all!).

And both more NHL ready than Huber appeared to be this time last year as well.

You guys are going to have some firepower in a couple years
Thanks for the input. Should finally be fun to be a Panther fan soon:

Old
03-31-2013, 01:57 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

vCash: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazinBruins View Post
Thing is though, Weiss isn't the scorer that Mac should be. We really don't have a problem setting up scoring chances, our problem is the actual scoring.

I keep thinking back to Adam Larsson. A lot of people really hyped up Larsson and thought that we should be the team to pick him. Not saying he won't be a great defenseman but I highly doubt anyone would go back and pick him over Huby. I know there's a difference between Jones & Larsson but I just don't want to pass up the chance at a potential superstar forward unless we have to.

-ghoste

Old
03-31-2013, 02:21 PM
AaronEkbald
Nothing to see here

IMO, we need to move on from idea of Weiss being our leader on offense.

The possibility of having our offense lead by a duo like Huberdeau + MacKinnon or Huberdeau + Drouin is far more enticing to me than picking Seth Jones and hoping he becomes our franchise defenseman. Like Shea Weber is to Nashville.

Old
03-31-2013, 02:28 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Rypien Farts View Post
IMO, we need to move on from idea of Weiss being our leader on offense.

The possibility of having our offense lead by a duo like Huberdeau + MacKinnon or Huberdeau + Drouin is far more enticing to me than picking Seth Jones and hoping he becomes our franchise defenseman. Like Shea Weber is to Nashville.
Also, Shea Weber was never projected to be the Shea Weber of today because d-men are extremely hard to project. I was looking at the prospect board yesterday and Duncan Keith was 19th and Bfuglyien was around him in the HF's Blackhawk rankings for their prospects. Far behind #1 prospect, Cam freakin Barker. haha

Old
03-31-2013, 05:18 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoste View Post
Thing is though, Weiss isn't the scorer that Mac should be. We really don't have a problem setting up scoring chances, our problem is the actual scoring.

I keep thinking back to Adam Larsson. A lot of people really hyped up Larsson and thought that we should be the team to pick him. Not saying he won't be a great defenseman but I highly doubt anyone would go back and pick him over Huby. I know there's a difference between Jones & Larsson but I just don't want to pass up the chance at a potential superstar forward unless we have to.

-ghoste
You need to wait 5-10 years before knowing whether Larsson is a better NHL pick. High draft pick forwards will typically always have a better NHL pennetration career.

I'd take a Forward over Jones simply because i believe compiling a competent defense is easier than compiling a dangerous offensive unit. I think you can compile good coaching with solid players much more comfortably than you can create a lethal offensive unit.

Having said that, if our scouts believe Jones is the BPA (meaning he fits in within our model and they believe he will be an elite #1) i have no issue with us taking him. Jones isn't like Gudbranson, he's clearly very talented with the puck. If you're taking a D really high, he needs to have puck skills IMO, which Gudbranson doesn't truely have.

I truely believe it's possiubly to believe there are 4 or 5 forwards who could potentially be the best player down the line. I don't think it is clear cut that Mackinnon or Drouin are guaranteed to the best forwards down the line. Barkov/Lindholm/Nichushkin really aren't behind at all, and it honestly wouldn't suprise me if they proved the better selection long-term. This is why this draft is great ; the top tier is deep and beautiful. Handfuls of breasts, rather than one big cyclops breast.

Old
03-31-2013, 06:02 PM
Boothinator
@MrBoothinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomePanthers View Post
Very tight race for the 1st overall. Flames and Avs are both dangerously close to passing us.

If we find some way to **** this up and make us draft like 6th, I'd might go for Monahan. Amazing production on a terrible team. Good leader.

If we somehow got another 1st, which I highly unlikely, I'd like to grab Domi too. Very skilled player. Maybe we can trade up though, but I don't see us picking forward both with our 1st and 2nd round pick.

If we lose out on MacKinnon, I'm gonna be so upset.
We just need to put Clemmensen in again for a game..

We are anyway due for a loss. I am pretty sure that we will lose against the Lightning next game.

Old
03-31-2013, 06:03 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothinator View Post
We just need to put Clemmensen in again for a game..

We are anyway due for a loss. I am pretty sure that we will lose against the Lightning next game.
Looks like we have a pretty tough schedule left, especially that last long road-trip. So put in Clemmer in the "easy" games?

C'mon, no winnin' for MacKinnon!

Old
03-31-2013, 06:09 PM
Boothinator
@MrBoothinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomePanthers View Post
Looks like we have a pretty tough schedule left, especially that last long road-trip. So put in Clemmer in the "easy" games?

C'mon, no winnin' for MacKinnon!
I havent really looked at the schedule but that is good to know!

That would be the best. He will anyway give up a few softies in these..

Hope they can accomplish that. It wouldnt be the first time that we wont when we didnt not have to!

Old
03-31-2013, 06:17 PM
JdRoar

Upcoming schedule :

@ Lightning , Caps, Senators , @ Jets , Penguins , @ Islanders , @ Rangers, @ Devils , @ Bruins , Rangers , Leafs , @ Lightning

Brutal Finish

Old
03-31-2013, 06:32 PM
Boothinator
@MrBoothinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JdRoar View Post
Upcoming schedule :

@ Lightning , Caps, Senators , @ Jets , Penguins , @ Islanders , @ Rangers, @ Devils , @ Bruins , Rangers , Leafs , @ Lightning

Brutal Finish
Wow that looks awesome.. So we will at least lose 2 of the next 3.

We have not done well against the Caps and Sens this year

Old
03-31-2013, 07:16 PM
TheMightyPanther85

I've been reading a lot here on this thread, and over the years for that matter, that when drafting this high you always go BPA. Yet, I'm not entirely convinced that Jones is THAT much better than MacKinnon. Which is primarily based on what I've read and the WJC back in Dec/Jan.

A lot more has to happen between now and the draft (CHL playoffs, the combine, etc), but if a GM, like Tallon, goes into the draft with that kind of conclusion, I would think he goes for the need rather than go for a player that may currently be slightly better. Which in my opinion would likely be MacKinnon, even though Drouin I think seems to be making a pretty good case for himself, despite what some people may say.

Old
03-31-2013, 10:03 PM
AvsFanJosh

Avs fan here, please leave us Jones !

Closed Thread