HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft

Closed Thread

Old
04-07-2013, 01:17 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

vCash: 500
So I've given up on Colorado winning anymore games. We have the same amount of points as Calgary but technically we're in 29th because they have more wins. They exclude shootout wins (in tiebreakers) which we have three compared to their zero. Calgary plays Colorado on Monday so I'm pulling for Calgary.

-ghoste

Old
04-07-2013, 01:44 PM
Howboutthempanthers
No Bandwagon Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoste View Post
So I've given up on Colorado winning anymore games. We have the same amount of points as Calgary but technically we're in 29th because they have more wins. They exclude shootout wins (in tiebreakers) which we have three compared to their zero. Calgary plays Colorado on Monday so I'm pulling for Calgary.

-ghoste
Three point game.

Old
04-07-2013, 02:21 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Cats Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howboutthempanthers View Post
Three point game.
Yes! I don't care who wins, but need a three-point game.

Old
04-07-2013, 07:48 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

The way we are playing we will likely jump TB/Carolina and probably Buff this week, And maybe Philly by next week putting us at 6 or 7. So yeah, all these guys we are wanting to draft.....they will all be gone off the board by then. Who's left around 6-7pick?

Old
04-07-2013, 07:51 PM
billysbreakdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
The way we are playing we will likely jump TB/Carolina and probably Buff this week, And maybe Philly by next week putting us at 6 or 7. So yeah, all these guys we are wanting to draft.....they will all be gone off the board by then. Who's left around 6-7pick?
Elias Lindholm

Old
04-07-2013, 07:59 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Panther View Post
Elias Lindholm
can you give us a rundown on him?

Old
04-08-2013, 12:56 AM
AaronEkbald
Nothing to see here

I have a ridiculously strong feeling we will finish 28th and pick 3rd.

Old
04-08-2013, 03:16 AM
AwesomePanthers
Go Cats Go

Quote:
Monahan.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think we'll draft 5th.

Old
04-08-2013, 06:12 AM
billysbreakdown

Quote:
can you give us a rundown on him?
MR compared him to Backstrom.

Scouting report I found:
Quote:
When thinking of Lindholm, consider the ultimate Swedish centre. Intelligent, creative, excellent skating ability, work ethic and 3 zone acumen. Elias embodies all aspects of the game well, and possesses a some degree of offensive flair. He'll need to add strength at the next level but has a projectable frame for a centre, and is already 185 pounds. Will also need work on his skating technique, stance is often too wide and doesnt No concerns about his ability to play in the NHL, though if he were to be knocked, it would be his ceiling, which might not have the height of some other top 5 potential draftees. A best case scenario would be Henrik Zetterberg: an all around #1 centre. Worst case would be akin to a Rich Peverley, a good two way, swift skating 2nd/3rd liner.

Old
04-08-2013, 07:06 AM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Panther View Post
MR compared him to Backstrom.

Scouting report I found:
Thanks for the scouting report. So we could be potentially drafting another Stephen Weiss if we draft Lindholm. I'd rather us lose some games and add either Mac or Drouin!

Old
04-08-2013, 07:12 AM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Rypien Farts View Post
I have a ridiculously strong feeling we will finish 28th and pick 3rd.
We are 2pts behind both TB and Carolina.

Carolina 34pts(lost 4 in a row)
Tampa Bay 34pts(lost 3 of 4)
Florida 32pts(won 4 of 5)

The thought of TB or Carolina drafting Mac or Drouin makes me sick to my stomach!

Old
04-08-2013, 09:13 AM
Dread Clawz
fmrly MarkstromRules

I think it's a bit premature to say we'll be drafting 6th or 7th. I think we have a top 5 pick locked up. We would have to win like 75% of our remaining games to finish otherwise, realistically. Not gonna happen. I don't see Buffalo, Philly, and Nashville finishing out the season on prolonged losing streaks.

Old
04-08-2013, 09:18 AM
RainingRats

Quote:

The thought of TB or Carolina drafting Mac or Drouin makes me sick to my stomach!
How many times do the teams that are chasing us for the 30th/29th spot play each other?

Old
04-08-2013, 09:55 AM
PanthersHockey1
Bond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
How many times do the teams that are chasing us for the 30th/29th spot play each other?
Good news. Calgary plays Colorado for the last time this season tonight. The lightning play the hurricanes one more time this season.

Old
04-08-2013, 10:45 AM
AaronEkbald
Nothing to see here

Quote:

Damn right. We deserve/ need him the most. They have enough skill. Which makes it so hard to believe that they are so far down. I mean, Carolina started losing when Ward went down. Is he that vital to the Canes' success? And wtf is wrong with TB? I guess without a goalie and a solid d-core, a number-one offense in the league doesn't get the job done.

I WANT MACKINNON OR DROUIN OR JONES SO BAD!!!!!!!

Need to find top-line skill to combine with Huby for the future!!!!!!

Ok. Done venting..

Old
04-08-2013, 11:20 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Damn right. We deserve/ need him the most. They have enough skill. Which makes it so hard to believe that they are so far down. I mean, Carolina started losing when Ward went down. Is he that vital to the Canes' success? And wtf is wrong with TB? I guess without a goalie and a solid d-core, a number-one offense in the league doesn't get the job done.

I WANT MACKINNON OR DROUIN OR JONES SO BAD!!!!!!!

Need to find top-line skill to combine with Huby for the future!!!!!!

Ok. Done venting..
Well yes when you lose a goalie who's a former Conn Smythe winner, it can definitely affect your performance a lot. Ward is just that vital to their success.

As far as TB, thats why they traded for Bishop. And while his record since the trade is 1-2-0, his numbers are much better than that. He's only given up 3 goals in each of those 2 losses but had a very good .927 SV%. They may have one of the top 3 offenses but you can see their team defense is what is the problem. They are in the top 10 in shots allowed per game (we are 7th in comparison) and in goals allowed per game (we are 2nd in comparison). If you look at the best teams in the league, they are frequently at the bottom of the list in shots allowed per game so to me that shows TB is a systemic problem, not necessarily a personnel problem.

Even if we dont get one of MacK, Jones or Druin, we will still be able to come out with a good prospect. I wouldnt cry if we end up with Barkov or Monahan at all.

Old
04-08-2013, 11:57 AM
AaronEkbald
Nothing to see here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
Well yes when you lose a goalie who's a former Conn Smythe winner, it can definitely affect your performance a lot. Ward is just that vital to their success.

As far as TB, thats why they traded for Bishop. And while his record since the trade is 1-2-0, his numbers are much better than that. He's only given up 3 goals in each of those 2 losses but had a very good .927 SV%. They may have one of the top 3 offenses but you can see their team defense is what is the problem. They are in the top 10 in shots allowed per game (we are 7th in comparison) and in goals allowed per game (we are 2nd in comparison). If you look at the best teams in the league, they are frequently at the bottom of the list in shots allowed per game so to me that shows TB is a systemic problem, not necessarily a personnel problem.

Even if we dont get one of MacK, Jones or Druin, we will still be able to come out with a good prospect. I wouldnt cry if we end up with Barkov or Monahan at all.
I will be upset. This year has been a complete disaster. We deserve a guy who has great potential to become an elite player.

Old
04-08-2013, 12:05 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
We don't deserve an elite player more than any other team. The system in place dictates the distrubtion.

Seems most sports fans don't really understand what deserve actually means.

Old
04-08-2013, 12:22 PM
AaronEkbald
Nothing to see here

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
We don't deserve an elite player more than any other team. The system in place dictates the distrubtion.

Ok, allow me to rephrase.

We need a player with elite potential.

Especially a center. Bjugstad is a great prospect, but does not have elite potential.

Old
04-08-2013, 12:39 PM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

I just can't root against the team that I love. As much as I'm trying not to get so excited about the good things that are happening lately due to our draft position, I couldn't help but love last night's win. It gives us so much promise for next season that we'll have a turnaround. Realistically, I want us to win every game and have the teams below us win every game as well.

Problem is, Colorado and Calgary are doing a damn good job lately tanking and Carolina is in the process of joining them below us with their 1-8-1 record in their last ten games. At least the Avs & Flames play one another tonight. Hopefully it goes to OT.

I don't want us to finish below the bottom two because if we finish 28th, we could drop to fourth. Not that any pick in the Top 5 doesn't have incredible potential, but I want either Jones, MacKinnon, or Drouin. Any of them would do wonders for our team for the next decade or more.

It's going to be an interesting next couple of weeks for sure.

Old
04-08-2013, 12:40 PM
Pantherfan12

even if it's a small chance, we do have a chance at the lottery. Who's to say we get lucky and win and end up with 1st overall?

Old
04-08-2013, 01:50 PM
IceManCat
A New Era

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post

Countless busted prospects, bad management, a decade of losing and not making the playoffs. The most loyal fans on the planet. Everyone wants to move our team to every corner of Canada and the other American fan bases tag along saying we shouldn't even exist. We don't deserve anything good though.

Old
04-08-2013, 01:52 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
I will be upset. This year has been a complete disaster. We deserve a guy who has great potential to become an elite player.
Quote:
Ok, allow me to rephrase.

We need a player with elite potential.

Especially a center. Bjugstad is a great prospect, but does not have elite potential.
We can get that player too, even if its not #1 or 2 overall. I've been on the Sean Monahan bandwagon since the NHL season started. I didnt expect us to finish as low as we probably will so I figured we wouldnt have a chance at him. He's a center who's been compared to Jonathan Toews and he, himself, said he models his game after Toews. Monahan has similar size (6'2" 190 now, Toews is 6'2" 210 so they should end up the exact same) and while neither is flashy, they get the job done. Plus he's a center like you said we could use and I feel probably is better than Bjugstad long term. So again, I dont think you should be that upset if we dont end up with one of those 3 guys. So long as we dont drop out of the top 5 picks, I think we will still end up with a player with top line potential and thats all that matters.

Old
04-08-2013, 02:11 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceManCat View Post
Countless busted prospects, bad management, a decade of losing and not making the playoffs. The most loyal fans on the planet. Everyone wants to move our team to every corner of Canada and the other American fan bases tag along saying we shouldn't even exist. We don't deserve anything good though.
Do you understand what the word deserve means? It means worthy of merit, or to be entitled to something.

Bad management and decision making for years on end doesn't equate with the word merit. It isn't as if we've been blocked from success, we are where we are because we're a badly run organisation. If i have a giant butt on my face and can't get women, do i deserve a supermodel for one night?

Secondly, the system decides who "deserves" to pick #1, #2 etc. Previous seasons have absolutely no relation to how distrubtion of the current draft crop. It is purely decided on that seasons standings. We've had multiple top ten picks in the last ten years with the ability to get this "superstar". Cry me a river with this self pity.

Finally, loyal fans has absolutely nothing to do with merit. Simply because you follow your team passionately doesn't mean the Florida organisation is entitled anymore to a particular player than any other organisation, who reside in the same distrubution system, who presumably have equally passionate fans. I can't even begin to comprehend how you can prove Florida fans "are the most loyal fans" on the planet.

I as a fan don't deserve anything. Self pity and fallicious self entitlement are useless.

Old
04-08-2013, 03:05 PM
pantherbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
We can get that player too, even if its not #1 or 2 overall. I've been on the Sean Monahan bandwagon since the NHL season started. I didnt expect us to finish as low as we probably will so I figured we wouldnt have a chance at him. He's a center who's been compared to Jonathan Toews and he, himself, said he models his game after Toews. Monahan has similar size (6'2" 190 now, Toews is 6'2" 210 so they should end up the exact same) and while neither is flashy, they get the job done. Plus he's a center like you said we could use and I feel probably is better than Bjugstad long term. So again, I dont think you should be that upset if we dont end up with one of those 3 guys. So long as we dont drop out of the top 5 picks, I think we will still end up with a player with top line potential and thats all that matters.
I actually really like Monahan. He seems very smart in his interviews and has been a great leader at the OHL level. He also played lacrosse at a very high level and I like it when players are good at other sports other than hockey, shows a high level of athleticism. I believe Tavares cited his lacrosse days as a big reason for his success on the ice.

I wouldn't be unhappy with Monahan.

Edit: Also seems like Drouin and Mackinnon get the benefit of playing on a pretty good team, Monahan...not so much. Not saying we should pick Monahan over Mac or Drouin, just throwing this in there.

Last edited by pantherbot: 04-08-2013 at 03:16 PM.
Closed Thread