HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft

Closed Thread

Old
02-20-2013, 08:03 AM
AaronEkbald
Nothing to see here

vCash: 500
Man, can Columbus win some freaking games already!

They have two consecutive picks in the first round. So, if they finished last and won the lottery (a high probability) they could draft Jones and MacKinnon! It wouldn't be unreasonable to think they might pick MacKinnon/ Drouin or MacKinnon/ Barkov since they picked Murray in the first in last years' draft. Columbus just traded their offensive superstar and they're going to look for offense to replace him. Also, I think it's very unlikely to think that MacKinnon will be available after two selections. I'm trying to stay realistic.

So, the possible draft situations of the day are:

2013 NHL Draft

1. Columbus
2. Columbus
3. Florida

Scenario #1

1. Columbus - Jones
2. Columbus - MacKinnon
3. Florida - ?

Scenario #2

1. Columbus - MacKinnon
2. Columbus - Drouin
3. Florida - ?

Scenario #3

1. Columbus - MacKinnon
2. Columbus - Barkov
3. Florida - ?

What do we do for each scenario, why and rate which scenario is the best versus the worst?

Last edited by AaronEkbald: 02-20-2013 at 08:17 AM.
Old
02-20-2013, 08:13 AM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Rypien Farts View Post
What do we do for each scenario, why and rate which scenario is the best versus the worst?
IMO Jackets go with MacKinnon/Jones if they end up 1-2 in the draft. Though that's highly unlikely, I doubt LA finishes in the bottom10.

Wouldn't be too surprised to see LA's and Rangers 1st rounders and Jackets own 2nd round pick traded for a top10 pick at the draft.

Old
02-20-2013, 09:01 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:

They have two consecutive picks in the first round. So, if they finished last and won the lottery (a high probability) they could draft Jones and MacKinnon! It wouldn't be unreasonable to think they might pick MacKinnon/ Drouin or MacKinnon/ Barkov since they picked Murray in the first in last years' draft. Columbus just traded their offensive superstar and they're going to look for offense to replace him. Also, I think it's very unlikely to think that MacKinnon will be available after two selections. I'm trying to stay realistic.

2013 NHL Draft

1. Columbus
2. Columbus
3. Florida

Scenario #1

1. Columbus - Jones
2. Columbus - MacKinnon
3. Florida - ?

Scenario #2

1. Columbus - MacKinnon
2. Columbus - Drouin
3. Florida - ?

Scenario #3

1. Columbus - MacKinnon
2. Columbus - Barkov
3. Florida - ?

There are rumors that the new GM in Columbus is open to trading Jack Johnson as well though. So it would depend on what assets they get if they trade him. But then they probably could use another d-man in the pool anyway since Murray just suffered a shoulder injury that required surgery & a 6 month recovery time.

Regardless, if they did end up with the top 2 picks, they would absolutely pick MacKinnon & Jones. They are the top 2 guys regardless of needs or what they have already picked in past yrs. I still dont see the scenario possible where they get both the #1 & 2 picks as all that probable. The Kings will be better than they have shown even with the loss of some key players on defense and the Rangers are a team that at least will be in playoff contention.

Old
02-20-2013, 09:19 AM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
There are rumors that the new GM in Columbus is open to trading Jack Johnson as well though.
If you're referring to the thread on trade board, that's 100% pure speculation.

JK hasn't even met the team yet, he joins them on Thursday at Detroit.

Old
02-20-2013, 11:34 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Any GM who wouldn't pick MacKinnon and Jones should be fired on the spot.

Old
02-20-2013, 12:50 PM
IceManCat
A New Era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Any GM who wouldn't pick MacKinnon and Jones should be fired on the spot.
I can see Jones dropping to 4-6. Offense>Defense even if he is BPA.

Old
02-20-2013, 01:05 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceManCat View Post
I can see Jones dropping to 4-6. Offense>Defense even if he is BPA.
Ill bet any amount of money that doesnt happen. Jones is just too good.

Old
02-20-2013, 01:18 PM
IceManCat
A New Era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Ill bet any amount of money that doesnt happen. Jones is just too good.
We saw the same thing happen with Adam Larrson he was the next Lidstrom. At the end of the day offensive players make a bigger impact than defensive players.. Doughty isn't as important as Kopitar, Hedman doesn't impact the way Stamkos does, and in the event that they do have that kind of impact, it usually takes longer for it to happen.

Possible scenario; some random team wins lottery we will say Mon- Canadians.

They take Mackinnon. Next up Columbus they take Barkov since their new GM in Euro and they already drafted a D last year. Then Calgary Flames they pick Lindholm since they needed a number 1 center since forever and their ultra defensive teams never worked. Picking at number 4 the FLA Panthers take Monahan or Droin. That leaves Seth Jones at 5 0r 6. Its possible he falls despite being highly touted

Old
02-20-2013, 03:36 PM
Howboutthempanthers
No Bandwagon Allowed

Quote:
We saw the same thing happen with Adam Larrson he was the next Lidstrom. At the end of the day offensive players make a bigger impact than defensive players.. Doughty isn't as important as Kopitar, Hedman doesn't impact the way Stamkos does, and in the event that they do have that kind of impact, it usually takes longer for it to happen.

They take Mackinnon. Next up Columbus they take Barkov since their new GM in Euro and they already drafted a D last year. Then Calgary Flames they pick Lindholm since they needed a number 1 center since forever and their ultra defensive teams never worked. Picking at number 4 the FLA Panthers take Monahan or Droin. That leaves Seth Jones at 5 0r 6. Its possible he falls despite being highly touted
I hope DT would not pass on Jones at #4 for Drouin. Hell to the no.

Old
02-20-2013, 04:48 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:

Larsson was not supposed to go #1, or even #2. He went right where he was supposed to. He lost steam in the rankings as the draft approached. He was an early bloomer and didn't develop at all in his draft year. He has hardly been dominant in the NHL so far. Jones is supposed to go #1 or 2. He projects to be better than Larsson. Better skater, better offensively, more physical. Jones is probably the best defense prospect since Bouwmeester. Better than Doughty, EJ, Hamilton, Hedman, Bogosian, JJ, Phaneuf, Suter etc. etc. at the same age.

Columbus, Calgary, and Florida would all take Jones. When it is close, you can take the position you want instead of BPA, but after MacKinnon, it isn't close. To take a big downgrade just because of position would be a huge mistake. We could trade Kulikov for a forward if we drafted Jones.

Old
02-20-2013, 05:12 PM
luby3131

Quote:

2013 NHL Draft

1. Columbus
2. Columbus
3. Florida

Scenario #1

1. Columbus - Jones
2. Columbus - MacKinnon
3. Florida - ?

Scenario #2

1. Columbus - MacKinnon
2. Columbus - Drouin
3. Florida - ?

Scenario #3

1. Columbus - MacKinnon
2. Columbus - Barkov
3. Florida - ?

Scenario #1 = Barkov, but it's close between him and Drouin
Scenario #2 = Jones
Scenario #3 = Jones

Old
02-23-2013, 09:59 AM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Here's a question for our resident prospect experts.

Can you take the top players in this draft and give us your projections:

Name of player
Best case scenario
Worst case scenario
Likely scenario

Any good links to scouting reports would be nice also.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:52 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

vCash: 835
I can see Buffalo & Washington getting better as the season wears on. And I can see Columbus staying in last place. That might mean we could probably hover in 2nd for a while.

-ghoste

Old
02-24-2013, 02:17 AM
FrolikFan67

i could see buffalo and columbus getting the top 2 spots. if buffalo drafts mackinnon, would columbus draft jones at 2 even tho they took murray at 2 last year and they need the offense? especially a center? maybe they go with barkov at 2 in that scenario.
if columbus got the first pick theyd take mac. buffalo at 2 is kinda in the same situation, they really need a center but could potentially take jones, pairing him with myers. or they could go with barkov.
id actually really hate it (well not "hate" obviously) if we are at 3 and mac is taken and jones isn't. as sick as jones looks we realllly need the offense and i loveeee drouin. call me crazy but if we're picking 3 and mac and barkov are taken 1 and 2, id take drouin at 3, him and huberdeau on opposite wings on the first line.
if that scenario played out, then we could actually trade back one spot if the team behind us wants jones, and we could still draft drouin plus get a little extra.
i think buffalo and columbus will end up being the 2 worst teams, but you never know how the lottery plays out, especially with everyone having a shot.
i will be soooo happy if we get a top 3 pick, and id be ecstatic if we draft drouin.

Old
02-25-2013, 10:20 AM
AaronEkbald
Nothing to see here

Ok.

If we end up with the 3rd pick..

And Drouin falls in our lap.. That would be amazing. He leads the Q in scoring now with 93 points/ 36 goals in 42 games.

Kid is incredible.

Imagine Florida Panthers future offensive core:

Huberdeau
Drouin
Bjugstad

Now that is a core.

Old
02-25-2013, 10:31 AM
AaronEkbald
Nothing to see here

Say we get #3..

MacKinnon - Team X
Jones - Team X
Drouin - Panthers

Love it. Drouin is another guy with solid potential to be a number-one liner. Shootout abilities, power play guy, passer/ finisher.. Makes guys better around him.

MacKinnon - Team X
Drouin - Team X (drafts Drouin because they need offense/ giving in to his the Drouin hype)
Jones - Panthers

Worst case scenario. We get another defenseman with limited offensive capabilities.

Jones - Team X
Drouin - Team X (Giving in to the hype)
MacKinnon - Panthers

Extremely unlikely. So, of course, this would benefit us. We get a potential first-liner, goal-scorer/ finisher.

Last edited by AaronEkbald: 02-25-2013 at 10:54 AM.
Old
02-25-2013, 11:37 AM
PanthersHockey1
Avs Bandwagon

of all the guys in the top 5 are there any who could make an immediate impact in the nhl? which is most ready to play in the nhl?

Old
02-25-2013, 11:59 AM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersHockey1 View Post
of all the guys in the top 5 are there any who could make an immediate impact in the nhl? which is most ready to play in the nhl?
Jones and Barkov then a drop to the other guys who are ready too but not AS READY, imo.

Old
02-25-2013, 12:04 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

vCash: 835
Say we pick #2, who do you pick if Mac is gone and we could really go offense over Jones? Do you go Barkov this high?

-ghoste

Old
02-25-2013, 12:06 PM
AaronEkbald
Nothing to see here

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersHockey1 View Post
I'd say any one of these young guys who have the size to survive in the NHL could step in right away..

Barkov, Jones, Zadorov

Maybe MacKinnon, Monahan, Nichushkin

Old
02-25-2013, 12:51 PM
IceManCat
A New Era

Mackinnon and Jones are both ready. Barkov and Monahan are extremely ready they play in all 3 zones and excel on the PK with maturity.

Old
02-25-2013, 01:09 PM
AaronEkbald
Nothing to see here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoste View Post
Say we pick #2, who do you pick if Mac is gone and we could really go offense over Jones? Do you go Barkov this high?

-ghoste
If the choice is Drouin or Jones, we gotta go with Drouin.

Old
02-25-2013, 05:13 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoste View Post

-ghoste
Jones. Jones is a surefire stud. Drouin and Barkov are not, even though Drouin leaves my jaw dropped sometimes with the moves he makes.

Quote:
I'd say any one of these young guys who have the size to survive in the NHL could step in right away..

Barkov, Jones, Zadorov

Maybe MacKinnon, Monahan, Nichushkin
I agree but I'd put MacKinnon in the top group. I can't see him not playing not next season. I think Nichushkin has another two years on his KHL contract, but I may be wrong.

Old
02-25-2013, 07:52 PM
PantherboyHTR
An Old School Cat

I'm assuming most of you have seen the video of Drouin's "shift of the year". How do you not pick this kid?!?!

Old
02-25-2013, 08:21 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherboyHTR View Post
I'm assuming most of you have seen the video of Drouin's "shift of the year". How do you not pick this kid?!?!

Drouin is a wizard with the puck, but the fact is he's not a sure thing. He's 5'11" and around 185 lbs., and if he's not scoring he's pretty much useless. He doesn't hit and he doesn't play defense.

MacKinnon is bigger, faster, stronger, more physical, better defensively, and is more of sure thing at the NHL level because he'll probably be better offensively because of all those things. He's a high end 2nd line forward at worst. The only edge Drouin has on MacKinnon is his hands, and probably hockey sense but that's slight.

Jones is an incredible defense prospect who literally has no holes in his game. He can do it on offense, defense, in the physical department. He can rush the puck up ice or make terrific breakout passes. And he's 6'4" 210 lbs. already, and skates like he's 5'10".

Drouin has holes in his game, the other two don't.

Closed Thread