HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

2013 Allstate All-Canadian

Old
05-30-2013, 02:30 PM
Rob Brown
Way She Goes

vCash: 500
It's going to absolutely blow my mind when we start talking about up and coming players/prospects born in 2000.

Rob Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 02:30 PM
3 Minute Minor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgweed View Post
Yes that is exactly what could happen; he could be ineligible to play for any country until the two year requirement is met. Hockey regulations are very restrictive and protective of eligibility due to previous player movement simply for the purpose of playing on a different National team due to citizenship.

Nylander was in a similar situation where he was a Canadian citizen that had played in the US but moved to Sweden. Sweden applied for an exception to the two year rule.

From an thread on Nylander's situation;

""No. I don't think he has played in Canada after 14 years of age. Only USA and Sweden. But since he doesn't have an American citizenship, playing fot the USA was not even possible. He'd have been eligable to play for Sweden after this season any way, but the Swedish hockey federation wanted him to play the U18-WJC this spring witch ment they had to apply for exceptional status.""

I believe the exceptional status mentioned above is a mistake or translation error; they applied for an exception.

DIFFERENCE
Dual Citizenship.

Sean Day only ever held 1 citizenship.

That's a significant difference in these situations that you're ignoring.

To throw down a slightly more relevant example, Liam Stewart.

Father is Rod Stewart (England) and his mother is from New Zealand. Spend his entire life in USA but never had citizenship. Plays for Spokane Chiefs in the WHL and IIHF recognizes him a Great Britain hockey player despite never playing hockey there at any point of his life.

3 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 02:43 PM
Rekus

Quote:
After rereading the rule I suppose you could be right that it only applies to a dual citizen or a new citizen. I think though It would be odd if a player could play his entire life in another country, possibly never even stepping foot in the country of his "citizenship" but still qualify to play on a national team for that country. I would think the 2 year rule for the ITC still plays a part.
We went through this process with my son. He needed 2 years of playing in the country in order to qualify for National program. 2 years of playing and living in the country. Still have the email. Son is a dual citizen.

"The NHLPA tap a wide network of scouts across the country to nominate some of the top bantam-aged players in Canada. Those players will then be invited to apply for one of forty-two (42) spots at the National Mentorship Camp (6 goalies, 12 defensemen, 24 forwards). To be eligible for selection for the Allstate All-Canadians Mentorship Camp, players must be fourteen years of age and [B]must be considered a permanent resident of Canada."[/B]

This makes sense - the kid is a citizen but not a resident. The family are residents of the US.

Last edited by Rekus: 05-30-2013 at 03:05 PM.
Rekus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 02:44 PM
dawgweed

Yes I agree that Liam Stewart is a much better example and do believe that Sean Day will meet the same requirements; however Stewart did have to go through an application process which the IIHF granted.

Under 18s head coach Mark Beggs said: 'It's great news we have been able to secure the approval from the IIHF that makes Liam eligible for Great Britain.

dawgweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 02:47 PM
dawgweed

I apologize for getting this thread off track.

Old
05-30-2013, 02:48 PM
3 Minute Minor

Quote:
Yes I agree that Liam Stewart is a much better example and do believe that Sean Day will meet the same requirements; however Stewart did have to go through an application process which the IIHF granted.

Under 18s head coach Mark Beggs said: 'It's great news we have been able to secure the approval from the IIHF that makes Liam eligible for Great Britain.
Well Stewart had dual citizenship so he probably had to apply for either Great Britain or New Zealand. He played in neither country so they probably had to approve one over the other, you know?

Old
05-30-2013, 02:48 PM
PorkChopSandwiches

Quote:
I apologize for getting this thread off track.
it happens still relevant though as the original question was why Day was not on the list and now everyone has an answer

PorkChopSandwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 02:49 PM
3 Minute Minor

Quote:
Originally Posted by proam16 View Post
We went through this process with my son. He needed 2 years of playing in the country in order to qualify for National program. 2 years of playing and living in the country. Still have the email. Son is a dual citizen.

"The NHLPA tap a wide network of scouts across the country to nominate some of the top bantam-aged players in Canada. Those players will then be invited to apply for one of forty-two (42) spots at the National Mentorship Camp (6 goalies, 12 defensemen, 24 forwards). To be eligible for selection for the Allstate All-Canadians Mentorship Camp, players must be fourteen years of age and [B]must be considered a permanent resident of Canada."[/B]

This makes sense - he kid is a citizen but not a resident. The family are residents of the US.
Wasn't McDavid there as a 13 year old?

Old
05-30-2013, 02:51 PM
Rekus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey2hockey View Post
it happens still relevant though as the original question was why Day was not on the list and now everyone has an answer
I beleive the fact that he is not considered a permanent resident is the reason he was not eligible. The family has not lived in Canada and does not live here now.

Old
05-30-2013, 02:52 PM
PorkChopSandwiches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tilander View Post
no he was there last year as a 97 ... a very dominant 97

Old
05-30-2013, 02:53 PM
PorkChopSandwiches

Quote:
I beleive the fact that he is not considered a permanent resident is the reason he was not eligible. The family has not lived in Canada and does not live here now.
yeah that is my take on it as well.

Old
05-30-2013, 02:56 PM
Rekus

Quote:
Do not think so. He was there the year he was granted special status.

he played in the OHL as 15 year old (2012) and played at the All-Canadian game - in 2012 as well. I have a list.

Last edited by Rekus: 05-30-2013 at 03:04 PM.
Old
05-30-2013, 03:00 PM
PorkChopSandwiches

Quote:
Do not think so. He was there the year the year before granted special status. He played there 2 years ago - he would have been just 14.

he played in the OHL as 15 year old (2012) and played at the All-Canadain game - in 2012 as well. I have a list.
He played last year, after already being granted and already completing a season at Minor midget.

Old
05-30-2013, 03:06 PM
scoutman1
Twitter - scoutman33

Quote:
Originally Posted by hab 4ever View Post
Would have thought Nicolas Patry-Gingras would have been invited...
I thought he would have been there as well....he played really good as an underager in Major Midget this year on defense for Gatineau.........I find the scouting for this event is not the greatest out in the Eastern part of Canada......Keith Getson is a very very very bad omisson from this list. HUGE miss on the part of the All-State so is Patry-Gingras.

scoutman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 03:07 PM
Mr Writer

I don't see Sean Day as one of the invitees. Very disappointing.

Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 03:29 PM
Rekus

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutman1 View Post
I thought he would have been there as well....he played really good as an underager in Major Midget this year on defense for Gatineau.........I find the scouting for this event is not the greatest out in the Eastern part of Canada......Keith Getson is a very very very bad omisson from this list. HUGE miss on the part of the All-State so is Patry-Gingras.
Definately, a case coould be made for them as well as Samuel Guilbault. So who and how is it decided in the end? As for the other kids selected from Quebec - some them could have easily transitioned to play in MD AAA last year.

Old
05-30-2013, 03:59 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Here's one...

Brushette, Campoli and Moreau will likely all play Midget AAA next year on the powerhouse Lac-St.Louis Lions next year...

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 04:00 PM
3 Minute Minor

Quote:
I'm actually really surprised there's 4 Nova Scotians that made it, including a goalie.

Donno why Getson was left out though, could be anything though, maybe he couldn't go.

Old
05-30-2013, 04:17 PM
dawgweed

Quote:
Well Stewart had dual citizenship so he probably had to apply for either Great Britain or New Zealand. He played in neither country so they probably had to approve one over the other, you know?
I found Information regarding the Stewart case.

This unusual case presented interesting complexities. Although residing in the United States, Stewart holds dual British and New Zealand citizenship. He couldn’t play for the Americans since he is not a citizen. And according to international eligibility rules, he couldn’t represent Great Britain or New Zealand either, since he hadn’t played a minimum of two years in either country.

So where would this leave him?

In writing, Stewart expressed his wish to play for Great Britain. This initiative was backed up by Andy French, the General Secretary of Ice Hockey UK, who told IIHF.com: “It was something that [British U18 coach] Mark Beggs had asked me to pursue, submitting all the relevant information I could obtain after speaking with Rachel Hunter and gathering everything that was required for the IIHF Council.”

With the authority given to them in the IIHF eligibility bylaw, the Council (the IIHF’s executive body), which met during the IIHF Semi-Annual Congress in Istanbul, Turkey in September, made an exemption under the extraordinary circumstances article so Stewart could play internationally for a country he is a citizen of.

In order not to have any bias, the information about Liam’s well-known parents was withheld from the Council when the issue was presented. Only after the Council approved the exemption did IIHF Sport Director Dave Fitzpatrick mention their names.

Old
05-30-2013, 04:26 PM
Wee Baby Seamus
I got your back

How did Luke Green make the cut... One of the most one-dimensional defenders I've seen. And Getson should be on here.

Wee Baby Seamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 04:30 PM
Rekus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
I don't see Sean Day as one of the invitees. Very disappointing.
Read up earlier in the thread as why we think he is not invited.

Old
05-30-2013, 05:50 PM
scoutman1
Twitter - scoutman33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee Baby Seamus View Post
How did Luke Green make the cut... One of the most one-dimensional defenders I've seen. And Getson should be on here.
i personally like Luke...I like his brother Matt too who is going to be a great player as well for next years QMJHL draft but Luke has all the skill for a defender, his cealing is so high.

scoutman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 07:05 PM
Wee Baby Seamus
I got your back

Quote:
i personally like Luke...I like his brother Matt too who is going to be a great player as well for next years QMJHL draft but Luke has all the skill for a defender, his cealing is so high.
I see where you're coming from with the skill, however he is far too focused on offense and not enough on defense. Once he starts playing against players his speed I think he'll be drawn out a bunch.

Wee Baby Seamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 07:39 PM
Garyboy

Very bizarre that Sean Day won't be in this game. I understand the aforementioned rules and such, but you figure they'd make an "exception" to have him showcased in the All-Canadian game. It's a win-win for all parties. Baffling omission.

Garyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 08:01 PM
Alberta tough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinnyjimmy08 View Post
very odd Davis Koch was invited.. not sure about that. Sure hes a decent player but by no means a top player in Canada. Wasnt even close to a top player in BC. The are a few other BC guys I can think of off the top of my head right away that are far better... Jake Kryski, Tak Anholt, Matt Barbaris are alot better... very interesting
Koch has sick skills I had him as a "possible" on the first page of this thread. I 100% agree on Barberis and Kryski they should be there along with Aucoin from Alberta.

Alberta tough is offline   Reply With Quote