HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD 2013 - Draft Thread II

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2013, 10:54 AM
Reds4Life
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Red Wings take Rob Blake to play alongside Eddie Shore.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:56 AM
vecens24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
Red Wings take Rob Blake to play alongside Eddie Shore.
Yeesh. That pairing is going to get BURNT a lot with how much those two get out of position (Shore with crazy rushes, Blake with going for big hits).

I'd defintiely split those two up.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:59 AM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post
Yeesh. That pairing is going to get BURNT a lot with how much those two get out of position (Shore with crazy rushes, Blake with going for big hits).

Indeed.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:09 AM
Hobnobs
Pinko

The Eskimos selects: Emile Bouchard, D

Quote:
At 6-foot-2 and 205 pounds, Bouchardís size got him noticed right from the start. He joined the Canadiens to start the 1941-42 season and never looked back. He would remain a stalwart on the blue line and an essential component of the Montreal teams that defined hockey excellence in the 1940s and 1950s.

The strongest man in the league, Bouchard played a robust brand of hockey. While other defensemen around the league resorted to more underhanded tactics, Butch hit with his hip rather than his fists. After a short period of introduction, he was rarely invited to engage in fisticuffs and probably stopped more fights that he took part in, often seizing both combatants and keeping them at armís length until they cooled off.

Playing in an era when a defensemanís job rarely took him beyond center ice, Bouchard specialized in separating oncoming attackers from the puck and redirecting it back in the direction from which it came. Once a Montreal forward gained possession, it was a good bet that the play would be in enemy territory for the next little while.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:11 AM
jkrx

The Firebirds is proud to select,

Quote:
It was obvious right from the start of his career with Les Habitants that he would be a key part of some great Habs teams. He was the classic pre-Bobby Orr offensive defenseman, anchoring the offense like a football quarterback, preferring to make incredible passes than rushing it himself.

Laperriere was not a noted physical combatant, though he did use his body effectively to defend against opposing forwards. He also had a reputation as a top shot blocker. He had a long fuse, but he would drop the gloves once in a while too. Once he picked up 30 minutes in penalty for one altercation with Chicago's Stan Mikita.
Jacques Laperriere, D

Old
01-30-2013, 11:17 AM
BraveCanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post

Yeah, I'm sure if Shore gets caught up ice, Blake will naturally go for a big hip check on an odd man rush instead of playing it safer.

And vice versa of course.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:27 AM
DoMakc

Sorry guys, but after Reds picked Blake I need to go back to drawing table, so my pick will come after I'm back from work, in 3-4 hours.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:41 AM
jkrx

I just realised something. Our division contains three teams from Pennsylvania and two is from Philadelphia. Talk about no home ice advantage.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:43 AM
Hawkman
Maddon MLB 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
I just realised something. Our division contains three teams from Pennsylvania and two is from Philadelphia. Talk about no home ice advantage.
"Playoffs will be cross-divisional - Seed 1 will face Seed 4 from the adjacent division, and Seed 2 will face Seed 3 from the adjacent division."

Old
ck26
Free Raptor Reagan

vCash: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
Shame that the Hershey Bears got put into another division.

Old
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmm View Post
"Playoffs will be cross-divisional - Seed 1 will face Seed 4 from the adjacent division, and Seed 2 will face Seed 3 from the adjacent division."
Yes but we still have a regular season to grind through.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:44 AM
EagleBelfour

116th overall selection

Eric Lindros

Nickname: The Big E
Height: 6'04''
Weight: 240 lbs
Position: Center
Shoots: Right
Date of Birth: February 28th, 1973
Place of Birth: London, Ontario, Canada

Memorial Cup Champion (1990)
Olympics Gold Medalist (2002)
Olympics Silver Medalist (1992)
World Cup Finalist (1996)
Stanley Cup Finalist (1997)
Best Forward at WJC-A (1991)
OHL First All-Star Team (1991)
Best Forward at World Championship (1993)
NHL First All-Star Team (1995)
NHL Second All-Star Team (1996)
NHL Third All-Star Team (1999)
NHL All-Rookie Team (1993)
OHL MVP (1991)
CHL Player of the Year (1991)
Lester B. Pearson Award (1995)
Hart Memorial Trophy (1995)
Sporting News NHL Player of the Year (2007)
Played in the NHL All-Star Game (1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000)
NHL Team Captain (1994-2000)
Olympics Captain (1998)

Top-10 Scoring (1st, 6th, 7th, 11th)
Top-10 Goalscoring (6th, 7th, 9th, 9th, 12th)
Top-10 Assist (4th, 6th, 9th)

Top-10 Playoff Scoring (1st, 11th)
Top-10 Playoff Goalscoring (3rd)
Top-10 Playoff Assist (2nd, 9th)

Per Game Ratio:
(Minimum 30 games)
Top-10 Scoring (1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 4th, 8th, 9th)
Top-10 Goalscoring (3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 6th, 6th, 8th, 9th, 11th)
Top-10 Assist (2nd, 4th, 6th, 8th, 10th, 10th)

(Minimum 10 games)
Top-10 Playoff Scoring (2nd, 5th, 10th)
Top-10 Playoff Goalscoring (6th, 9th)
Top-10 Playoff Assist (5th, 6th)

Awards Nomination:

Calder Memorial Trophy:

1992-93: 4th position (Teemu Selanne) ((0-17-10))

Hart Memorial Trophy:

1992-93: 9th position (Mario Lemieux) ((0-0-1))
1994-95: 1st position (+57.1%)
1995-96: 3rd position (Mario Lemieux) (-51.5%)
1996-97: 9th position (Dominik Hasek) ((0-2-2-1-3))
1998-99: 6th position (Jaromir Jagr) ((0-4-5-6-6))

Selke Memorial Trophy:

1995-96: 22nd position (Sergei Fedorov) ((1-1-0-0-0))
1996-97: 15th position (xxx) ((2-0-0-1-0))
1998-99: 14th position (xxx) ((1-1-0-0-1))

--------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto Star Coachesí Poll, January 22, 1994
Best Bodychecker: Eric Lindros (9)
Best Stickhandler:Eric Lindros (1),
Toughest Player:Eric Lindros (3)
Best Shot:Eric Lindros (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legends of Hockey
Even as a boy he could dominate NHLers physically, as he proved in the 1991 Canada Cup. Plus he had all the skills to be a great scorer - great shot, good passing, good skating, good stickhandling. He was unrealistically billed as the closest thing to a perfect hockey player since Gordie Howe. Expectations were out of this world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Pelletier
When it comes right down to it, I say there is little to choose between Eric Lindros and Peter Forsberg. Lindros was always easy to dislike, which helps to stain his legacy. Forsberg's legacy is, in my opinion, a bit overrated if only due to the great supporting cast he enjoyed.

In reality, they had pretty equal careers, though history will suggest otherwise.
- If you remove the years following the infamous Scott Stevens hit in the 2000 playoffs, Lindros rank sixth all time in points per game. The only players to rank ahead of him would be Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux, Mike Bossy, Sidney Crosby and Bobby Orr.

- ''I believe he should be in (HHoF). He was the first big, powerful, dominant forward with the skill, not (Wayne) Gretzky or (Mario) Lemieux, but close. He won MVP, he was an All-Star, he went to the Stanley Cup final. If you eliminate the crap that circled him, he is easily a Hall of Fame hockey player. The last few years were really tough but prior to that Eric was just a player playing hockey. Had his parents left him alone I don't know what this kid could have done because he could really play.'' - Bobby Clarke

- ''Big E was a player that dominated every time he stepped on the ice. He set his personal standards high for himself and his teammates pushed themselves because of that. Players fed off his commitment to get better every practice and his desire to win. He was a captain that made everyone on the team better.'' - xxx

Old
01-30-2013, 11:44 AM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck26 View Post
Shame that the Hershey Bears got put into another division.
You should have traded with Alaska. Our division would have been the most well resīted of all the ATD.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:59 AM
BubbaBoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
Averaging around a point-per-game in in the POs in Perreault's era was nothing to get excited about. His performance in 1980 was remarkable, but otherwise, his record is that of a good scoring forward, nothing more. Perreault was a good playoff performer, but nothing legendary.
Um seriously?

Did you actually read the post?

He's 5th ALL-TIME in assists/game for a CTR in the playoffs (min.35 games)
He's 7th ALL-TIME in points/game for a CTR in the playoffs (min.35 games)

How about this one?
HE's 9th ALL-TIME in points/game for a FORWARD in the playoffs (min.35 games)
Only Gretzky, Lemieux, _____, Messier, Bossy, ______, Kurri and Ovechkin averaged more points/game than him.

Same era or otherwise, what part of ALL-TIME can't you understand?

Last edited by BubbaBoot: 01-30-2013 at 12:07 PM.
Old
01-30-2013, 12:22 PM
vecens24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
Yeah, I'm sure if Shore gets caught up ice, Blake will naturally go for a big hip check on an odd man rush instead of playing it safer.

And vice versa of course.
Oh come on BC, you and I both know that you're not that dense.

It is clearly not ideal to have two guys with a penchant for getting out of position in the back. It only takes once for it to become a massive mistake. Blake was never the best positional defenseman. What if Shore is caught up ice after a rush and Blake is forced to defend a 2 on 1? That's certainly not a strength. Shore is much better with a solid positional player who can stay back and play tough defense while he rushes up ice.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:26 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaBoot View Post
Um seriously?

Did you actually read the post?

He's 5th ALL-TIME in assists/game for a CTR in the playoffs (min.35 games)
He's 7th ALL-TIME in points/game for a CTR in the playoffs (min.35 games)

How about this one?
HE's 9th ALL-TIME in points/game for a FORWARD in the playoffs (min.35 games)
Only Gretzky, Lemieux, _____, Messier, Bossy, ______, Kurri and Ovechkin averaged more points/game than him.

Same era or otherwise, what part of ALL-TIME can't you understand?
Raw numbers are useless when trying to compare players across eras. You notice just about every one of those guys listed played during the same era? That's not just coincidence.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:38 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
Raw numbers are useless when trying to compare players across eras. You notice just about every one of those guys listed played during the same era? That's not just coincidence.
Well , at least he's one of the top 10 PPG playoff player of his era.

Far from what bubba tries to demonstrate but still a nice stat for Perreault.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:50 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkey Town 18 View Post
Howe only played 40 games in 1949 and Lindsay only 50, while Abel played all 60...both outscored Abel on a per game basis (although Howe was about the same). I don't think I'd say Abel was for sure the best player on the line or that Gordie was clearly the worst. His Hart was likely justified...he played the most games and that should be rewarded, and obviously was able to keep things going when one or possibly even both of his linemates were out. On the other hand, it shouldn't be looked at as him flat out being clearly better than Lindsay and Howe.

Also, not saying he's not good defensively, I just would like to see some more evidence. And definitely not saying he was a bad pick for you...I really like the way you are going to use him...I was more talking about how he should be viewed if he were in a more traditional ATD center role, next to a great but not Howe-like wing

er.
I was going to mention this too.

Mods, please feel free to merge my posts. I am on mobile... No multi quoting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Given the star status (and scoring stats) of players like Milt Schmidt, Ted Kennedy, and Sid Abel, seeing an article suggest that they are first and foremost guys who dig the puck out of corners and send it to their linemates is very strong evidence that they are excellent corner men.

I'm not sure where you're getting this. My read on Stastny is that he's a nothing defensively but was surprising gritty, playing with a chip on his shoulder.
You are right about Stastny. The scouting reports go as far as to call him bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by papershoes View Post
In my opinion, if Fedorov's a first line ATD centre, Keon should be as well. Both have a similar number of top-10 finishes, and are strong defensively. Fedorov has a Hart, Keon has a Smythe. Fedorov one 1st team all star and, Keon two 2nd team all-stars.
Top 10 finishes were much harder to come across in Fedorov's time. He is the superior offensive player.

I realize that based on overall ability, Keon is one of the 32 best centers of all time, but I think his ideal role is still as an elite two way 2nd liner. You can get players later on for the 1st line who are better offensively while still not hot commodities for their overall games.

Quote:
That 1928 GM-voted team should be viewed as official.
Yes, absolutely

Last edited by vecens24: 01-30-2013 at 12:55 PM.
Old
01-30-2013, 01:41 PM
BubbaBoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jafar View Post
Well , at least he's one of the top 10 PPG playoff player of his era.

Far from what bubba tries to demonstrate but still a nice stat for Perreault.
Exactly.....for his era he had a fairly high level of consistency with a couple of spikes thrown in.

I do know it is hard to judge across eras, (which of course this very reason is what keeps a lot of the internet going), but he is definitely not worthy of the "meh" he was receiving.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:47 PM
BubbaBoot

Quote:
Very true, there's many factors, including that the early days there may have been only 3 or 5 games played during the playoffs. Even hard to judge between the 06 and the modern era.....hell there's even huge debates between the 'live' and 'dead' puck, (as well as the pre and post '05 walkout) of the modern era.

I tried to show the stats between the confines of his own yrs / era because I thought it was fairly significant and still got the poo-poo.

Whatever.....

Old
01-30-2013, 02:35 PM
DoMakc

HC Donbass selects Ebenezer Robertson Goodfellow, D

Old
01-30-2013, 03:39 PM
SchultzSquared

Kenora picks Dale Hawerchuk, C...

Old
01-30-2013, 03:55 PM
Velociraptor

Really torn for my next two picks, who can give a guy a helping hand via PM?

Old
01-30-2013, 04:12 PM
Rob Scuderi

Pittsburgh PAC selects LW, Bert Olmstead

Might get some Hooley-esque backlash on this one, but I like him here for my team for a number of reasons and would rather not tempt fate with my upcoming pick.

Beliveau and Bathgate need a digger, enter one of the prototypical guys who really knew how to lay a pass. Olmstead's best seasons came playing on a line with Beliveau so they bring proven chemistry. Olmstead actually told Beliveau to stay out of the corners because he was so confident in his ability to fish the puck out and wanted to feed him in the slot.

Bathgate's not the easiest to build around and I think finishing the line with Olmstead puts him in a great position to succeed. He's not going to be asked to do anything other than play his game. Beliveau could check, but this wasn't Bathgate's strong suit, so getting someone to help Beliveau out seemed like a priority. Check the quotes at the bottom that I found in a few minutes about Olmstead's checking.

Lastly, Beliveau's Canadiens were the ones who had the rules re-written on the powerplay (score one and it's over). Three of the pucks Beliveau's holding up above were scored in a 44 second span on the power play with assists from Olmstead against Terry Sawchuk. Their unit featured Harvey and Geoffrion on the points, and Beliveau, Richard, and Olmstead up front. I won't be able to build a unit that strong obviously, but Beliveau and Olmstead up front with Bathgate and Leetch on the points is definitely the makings of a potent unit. Taking Olmstead now lets me finish the unit with another potent scorer as he has the puck retrieval covered. (Bathgate also played the half-wall in Detroit in case I need to make a change moving forward)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Windsor Star (Jack Dulmage) - 3/25/1961
The loss of Bert Olmstead due to a knee injury suffered in a collision with Howe, complicates xxx's problem of checking the big Detroit right winger.

In the first game...employed the Olmstead line against Howe. Abel accepted this arrangement, countering the Frank Mahovlich line with the Ullman unit...But after a while, xxx moved Mahovlich against Howe. This suited Abel better. "I'd sooner have it that way...But darned if no sooner he does that than he comes back with Olmstead. So right there I decided to hold the line. That's why I pulled Howe off and sent out Ullman's line.
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...olmstead&hl=en

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL.com (Red Fisher) - 1/19/2009
The Leafs had put Bert Olmstead on Geoffrion. Olmstead, in a twist, was a former Canadien who had held Gordie Howe off the score sheet some years earlier when he had reached the 49-goal mark. And for two periods, Olmstead worked his magic, holding Geoffrion to only one shot in each period.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=404607
Geoffrion did score his 50th in the third period, but Fisher made no mention of where Olmstead was, if on the ice. These aren't meant to be comprehensive, just a quick search to make sure I was on the right track.

Old
01-30-2013, 04:17 PM
Velociraptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back Scuderi View Post
Pittsburgh PAC selects LW, Bert Olmstead

Might get some Hooley-esque backlash on this one, but I like him here for my team for a number of reasons and would rather not tempt fate with my upcoming pick.

Beliveau and Bathgate need a digger, enter one of the prototypical guys who really knew how to lay a pass. Olmstead's best seasons came playing on a line with Beliveau so they bring proven chemistry. Olmstead actually told Beliveau to stay out of the corners because he was so confident in his ability to fish the puck out and wanted to feed him in the slot.

Bathgate's not the easiest to build around and I think finishing the line with Olmstead puts him in a great position to succeed. He's not going to be asked to do anything other than play his game. Beliveau could check, but this wasn't Bathgate's strong suit, so getting someone to help Beliveau out seemed like a priority. Check the quotes at the bottom that I found in a few minutes about Olmstead's checking.

Lastly, Beliveau's Canadiens were the ones who had the rules re-written on the powerplay (score one and it's over). Three of the pucks Beliveau's holding up above were scored in a 44 second span on the power play with assists from Olmstead against Terry Sawchuk. Their unit featured Harvey and Geoffrion on the points, and Beliveau, Richard, and Olmstead up front. I won't be able to build a unit that strong obviously, but Beliveau and Olmstead up front with Bathgate and Leetch on the points is definitely the makings of a potent unit. Taking Olmstead now lets me finish the unit with another potent scorer as he has the puck retrieval covered. (Bathgate also played the half-wall in Detroit in case I need to make a change moving forward)

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...olmstead&hl=en

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=404607
Geoffrion did score his 50th in the third period, but Fisher made no mention of where Olmstead was, if on the ice. These aren't meant to be comprehensive, just a quick search to make sure I was on the right track.
Well then.. You just made it a lot easier for me.

Closed Thread