HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs and Religion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-10-2014, 08:14 PM
  #1
HabsFanJosh
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 141
vCash: 500
Habs and Religion

I had this essay published a few years back in a student journal at the University of Ottawa. I put it online, but have never really asked for any feed back. It's a little long for some peoples standards, but if the subject interests you I'd definitely like to know what you think about my essay.

Thanks a bunch for your time and any comments you leave.

http://www.academia.edu/1894875/The_...An_Ethnography

HabsFanJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 08:39 PM
  #2
Chris Cutter
BELIEVE IN DOUGLAS
 
Chris Cutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Beauce
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,164
vCash: 500
Fun read. The Roy trade was in 1995 by the way

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 08:41 PM
  #3
HabsFanJosh
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 141
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
Fun read. The Roy trade was in 1995 by the way
You'd think I'd have it edited by someone that knows something about hockey. Thanks for catching that!

HabsFanJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 08:59 PM
  #4
InglewoodJack
Registered User
 
InglewoodJack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Châteauguay
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,922
vCash: 1340
I wrote a paper on the Canadiens being a religion like 4 years ago in CEGEP. One of the papers I'm most proud of. There's a book written on it that I bought for the paper, it's really good.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 09:35 PM
  #5
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,124
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsFanJosh View Post
I had this essay published a few years back in a student journal at the University of Ottawa. I put it online, but have never really asked for any feed back. It's a little long for some peoples standards, but if the subject interests you I'd definitely like to know what you think about my essay.

Thanks a bunch for your time and any comments you leave.

http://www.academia.edu/1894875/The_...An_Ethnography
My friend, I don't know you and I don't bear you any animosity. However, I'm not persuaded by your analogy. If I were your professor and you submitted this to me as your term paper you would be lucky to find me in an uncharacteristically benign mood and willing to give you a minimum passing grade. The Montréal Canadiens are a business enterprise that has been sold and resold, sold and resold. If the team is to be regarded as a symbol it would represent ethnicity or autonomy rather than religion. Does a religion trade its saints? Fire its clergy? Change its uniform? Raise its admission fees to exclude many of its worshipers from the temple? Are "believers" free to switch their affiliation? I wish I could be more positive in my assessment but I can't.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 09:58 PM
  #6
Lshap
Registered User
 
Lshap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,278
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
My friend, I don't know you and I don't bear you any animosity. However, I'm not persuaded by your analogy. If I were your professor and you submitted this to me as your term paper you would be lucky to find me in an uncharacteristically benign mood and willing to give you a minimum passing grade. The Montréal Canadiens are a business enterprise that has been sold and resold, sold and resold. If the team is to be regarded as a symbol it would represent ethnicity or autonomy rather than religion. Does a religion trade its saints? Fire its clergy? Change its uniform? Raise its admission fees to exclude many of its worshipers from the temple? Are "believers" free to switch their affiliation? I wish I could be more positive in my assessment but I can't.
That's a little harsh. Clergy can certainly be fired and 'traded' to a different congregation. And as for hockey being a business enterprise, I'm sure I don't have to educate you on how the church was a money-making machine for millennia.

Superficially at least, there is an overlap in how the congregant and the fan's devotion remains with the institution, not the individual. Priests and rabbis come and go, but the symbols behind them remain. With the exception of the Pope, worshipers exalt the bible/torah/koran more than they do the guy reading from it, just like hockey fans exalt the crest more than they do the guy wearing it.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 10:07 PM
  #7
HabsFanJosh
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 141
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
My friend, I don't know you and I don't bear you any animosity. However, I'm not persuaded by your analogy. If I were your professor and you submitted this to me as your term paper you would be lucky to find me in an uncharacteristically benign mood and willing to give you a minimum passing grade. The Montréal Canadiens are a business enterprise that has been sold and resold, sold and resold. If the team is to be regarded as a symbol it would represent ethnicity or autonomy rather than religion. Does a religion trade its saints? Fire its clergy? Change its uniform? Raise its admission fees to exclude many of its worshipers from the temple? Are "believers" free to switch their affiliation? I wish I could be more positive in my assessment but I can't.
Yes, they do. This, of course, is just my opinion. I thank you very much for your feedback and taking the time to read it.

HabsFanJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 10:10 PM
  #8
HabsFanJosh
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 141
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
I wrote a paper on the Canadiens being a religion like 4 years ago in CEGEP. One of the papers I'm most proud of. There's a book written on it that I bought for the paper, it's really good.
I actually was sent a document of a speech Bauer gave in Buffalo by him. He was nice enough to provide me with it when I send him an email telling him about my interest in the subject. To my knowledge, Proff. Bauer still works an Universite du Montreal

HabsFanJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 10:15 PM
  #9
Chris Cutter
BELIEVE IN DOUGLAS
 
Chris Cutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Beauce
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,164
vCash: 500
I think you're a bit too harsh on him Teufelsdreck. Sure it was a university work but I'm sure there's been worse or more insulting topics than this.

It's a bit funny that you did a work on that topic OP. When I was in high school we had to do a fair in groups of three about either religion, culture or a particular event. Since I was in a catholic school (only French school in the region; I used to live in Ontario), me and my buddy didn't even think doing it on the Habs could have even been an option. I ended up doing my kiosk on Mafia but doing it on the Canadiens would have been sick. It's one of my biggest regrets from High School. The possibilities would have been endless starting from the decorations, to the topics, to the encounters with the people visiting our kiosk and trolling our principal by comparing religion to a hockey team. Ah alas...

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 10:21 PM
  #10
Sundog85
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 20
vCash: 500
I'm having an issue with understanding this line - ‘Hockey Gods’, ‘Hokey spirits’ and ‘HokeyAncestors’ of the Montreal Canadiens

is it supposed to say Hockey and not Hokey?

Sundog85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 10:22 PM
  #11
macavoy
Registered User
 
macavoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,350
vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
My friend, I don't know you and I don't bear you any animosity. However, I'm not persuaded by your analogy. If I were your professor and you submitted this to me as your term paper you would be lucky to find me in an uncharacteristically benign mood and willing to give you a minimum passing grade. The Montréal Canadiens are a business enterprise that has been sold and resold, sold and resold. If the team is to be regarded as a symbol it would represent ethnicity or autonomy rather than religion. Does a religion trade its saints? Fire its clergy? Change its uniform? Raise its admission fees to exclude many of its worshipers from the temple? Are "believers" free to switch their affiliation? I wish I could be more positive in my assessment but I can't.
I haven't read the article but your analysis sounds like your bitter about the business aspect of the team and not even considering how fans view the team and probably why he made the analogy.

You got me intrigued to actually go read a long article though.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 10:28 PM
  #12
HabsFanJosh
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 141
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundog85 View Post
I'm having an issue with understanding this line - ‘Hockey Gods’, ‘Hokey spirits’ and ‘HokeyAncestors’ of the Montreal Canadiens

is it supposed to say Hockey and not Hokey?
Quite so. This is the benefit of having people comment on it! You can read your own work a thousand times and not catch all the errors. Thanks for pointing this out. Definitely Hockey! Although hokey is pretty funny =D

HabsFanJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 10:31 PM
  #13
HabsFanJosh
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 141
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
I think you're a bit too harsh on him Teufelsdreck. Sure it was a university work but I'm sure there's been worse or more insulting topics than this.

It's a bit funny that you did a work on that topic OP. When I was in high school we had to do a fair in groups of three about either religion, culture or a particular event. Since I was in a catholic school (only French school in the region; I used to live in Ontario), me and my buddy didn't even think doing it on the Habs could have even been an option. I ended up doing my kiosk on Mafia but doing it on the Canadiens would have been sick. It's one of my biggest regrets from High School. The possibilities would have been endless starting from the decorations, to the topics, to the encounters with the people visiting our kiosk and trolling our principal by comparing religion to a hockey team. Ah alas...
We had to do an Ethnography for our final project. The teacher said it could be on anything at all, as long as we tied it to religious studies. I had been flirting with sports and religion in previous years. My topic seemed obvious, and the Prof liked it because it was different.

HabsFanJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 10:31 PM
  #14
CanadienShark
Registered User
 
CanadienShark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,121
vCash: 517
Are you my twin? Same name, same favourite team, same university......... May I ask which program you are/were in?

I'm intrigued enough by the responses here to check out your article now though.

CanadienShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 10:33 PM
  #15
HabsFanJosh
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 141
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienShark View Post
Are you my twin? Same name, same favourite team, same university.........
I realize now my full name is attached to the essay. Are you another me, or just a Josh?

HabsFanJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 10:38 PM
  #16
macavoy
Registered User
 
macavoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,350
vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundog85 View Post
I'm having an issue with understanding this line - ‘Hockey Gods’, ‘Hokey spirits’ and ‘HokeyAncestors’ of the Montreal Canadiens

is it supposed to say Hockey and not Hokey?
You honestly didn't realize that was a typo?

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 10:42 PM
  #17
Chris Cutter
BELIEVE IN DOUGLAS
 
Chris Cutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Beauce
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,164
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
You honestly didn't realize that was a typo?
To be honest, I thought the same thing considering English isn't my first language... I just looked at it funny and thought: ''Hm, must be the ancient way of spelling it or something...''

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 10:45 PM
  #18
HabsFanJosh
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 141
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
To be honest, I thought the same thing considering English isn't my first language... I just looked at it funny and thought: ''Hm, must be the ancient way of spelling it or something...''
I wrote this years ago. I've read it way more than one time, and I didn't even realize.

HabsFanJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 10:56 PM
  #19
CanadienShark
Registered User
 
CanadienShark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,121
vCash: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsFanJosh View Post
I realize now my full name is attached to the essay. Are you another me, or just a Josh?


Just another Josh.

CanadienShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 11:00 PM
  #20
macavoy
Registered User
 
macavoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,350
vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
To be honest, I thought the same thing considering English isn't my first language... I just looked at it funny and thought: ''Hm, must be the ancient way of spelling it or something...''
As an english speaker, I just assumed that he was from Quebec and not an english first speaker and assumed that was the reason for his mistakes.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 11:03 PM
  #21
HabsFanJosh
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 141
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
As an english speaker, I just assumed that he was from Quebec and not an english first speaker and assumed that was the reason for his mistakes.
Let's keep the air of mystery. Who's to say I'm not naturally from Quebec? Although it may say so in my essay.

HabsFanJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 11:04 PM
  #22
HabsFanJosh
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 141
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienShark View Post


Just another Josh.
Shucks. I've always wanted to meet one of my name doubles. I'm like a 400th year student. I take my time with things. Last class this summer, Major in second language teaching, minor in Religious Studies.

HabsFanJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 11:09 PM
  #23
CanadienShark
Registered User
 
CanadienShark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,121
vCash: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsFanJosh View Post
Shucks. I've always wanted to meet one of my name doubles. I'm like a 400th year student. I take my time with things. Last class this summer, Major in second language teaching, minor in Religious Studies.
I've never met my name double, but there's one in my hometown who's the same age as me too. Same spelling (first and last name). I know a ton of people that know/used to go to school with him. I'd like to meet him for ***** and giggle, but apparently he's a weird dude.

Little jealous though, what with you being so close to finishing your degree. Best of luck!

CanadienShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 11:10 PM
  #24
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 22,811
vCash: 500
I don't like tying entertainment to religion.

I've seen very little good come out of Religion.
Hockey is a sport, I love the game. I love the habs. Whether they suck or not, watching them play, discussing them is always fun. It just brings pleasure. I'd even add that sleeping with your enemy (like a nice cutie girl Bruins fan) is very very fun

Religion causes people to kill each other. It makes people flee their countries. It prevents people from being together. No. I don't see the link.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 11:16 PM
  #25
macavoy
Registered User
 
macavoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,350
vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I don't like tying entertainment to religion.

I've seen very little good come out of Religion.
Hockey is a sport, I love the game. I love the habs. Whether they suck or not, watching them play, discussing them is always fun. It just brings pleasure. I'd even add that sleeping with your enemy (like a nice cutie girl Bruins fan) is very very fun

Religion causes people to kill each other. It makes people flee their countries. It prevents people from being together. No. I don't see the link.
Says the guy who thinks PK is a god and wants to kill people who think MT isn't the devil.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:04 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.