HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are Leafs fans the worst in the NHL?

Old
01-27-2013, 05:31 PM
Leafidelity
Registered Leafs Fan

vCash: 1775
Are Leafs fans the worst in the NHL?

We're at game 5. A little over a week in. At current we've had threads for.

1) Replacing the coach
2) Trading the captain/top defenseman
3) Trading the leading goal scorer
4) Questioning the JVR trade
5) Envying the worst team of the past 5 season
6) Blamed the new regime (Owners, GM, Coach, Roster) for previous failure

Before the season started (in October) we had

1) Kadri (our top forward prospect) is fat and a bust

Now I don't think all fans are the worst, but we easily have the lowest of the low. Don't believe me? Look around at any other teams forums. You'll be lucky to get a hit on half of these threads per team forum. Nowhere else in the NHL do fans consistently pit their players against hypothetical scenarios. There's absolutely no way to say who the Leafs would have drafted with the Kessel picks, yet it's debated as a certainty, as if it was a straight trade for Seguin/Hamilton/Knight.

Alot of people aren't involved in the starting of such mass hysteria but join in the threads because they're already made and a hot topic. To those I say, please step back off the ledge. But for those insisting on bringing people up there with them, just jump already. You're not going to change anything, and only succeeding in making people along for the ride miserable.

Time to aim the hyper-analysis at the fanbase.

Last edited by Leafidelity: 01-27-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Leafidelity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 05:35 PM
Erdinger

vCash: 500
Makes for good entertainment though.

That being said there was a thread started on the Bruins board I think yesterday that questioned whether Seguin's slow start was because he played in Switzerland so it's not just Leafs fans.

Erdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 05:39 PM
Drew311
Bustlander

I don't get all of the pessimism. What exactly did people expect out of this season?

I thought most fans realized we would suck this year. Why all of the whining? Nonis and Carlyle are letting the kids play, I'm thankful that we got rid of Connolly and Lombadri so our prospects have a chance to get some real ice time. With youth comes mistakes, and there's going to be a lot of them. People just need to relax.

It all comes down to the fraction of the fanbase that just loves something to complain about.

Drew311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 05:40 PM
Hurt

Either that or we're the best fans in the league that we still pay attention to this mess of a team.

01-27-2013, 05:41 PM
Brymas McCaberle

Can we really blame ourselves (as fans at large) for not being able to keep the cool anymore after so many years of disappointments and futility from our favourite team?

Brymas McCaberle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 05:41 PM
Kessley Snipes

I find the people that post here are just pessimists that love to complain. If you look at the way thread titles are written around here you would think that the majority of people here fancy themselves professional sports writers.

I really feel like the majority of people here are actually casual fans who don't really understand the game, nor do they understand a lot about building a hockey team. The fact is in the 5 games we have played the Leafs have looked better coached and more prepared than I have seen them over the past several seasons. Yeah we may lack talent but the sky isnt falling and we have shown that we can skate with 2 cup contenders so far this season. Give it time.

Kessley Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 05:42 PM
Einzakin

Does Dolly Parton sleep on her back, bear poo in the woods, Phil Kessel play bad over last 5 games?

Einzakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 05:43 PM
Erdinger

I have a feeling this thread is going to attract every troll on HF. Mods are going to be busy.

Old
01-27-2013, 05:45 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
I don't get all of the pessimism. What exactly did people expect out of this season?

I thought most fans realized we would suck this year. Why all of the whining? Nonis and Carlyle are letting the kids play, I'm thankful that we got rid of Connolly and Lombadri so our prospects have a chance to get some real ice time. With youth comes mistakes, and there's going to be a lot of them. People just need to relax.

It all comes down to the fraction of the fanbase that just loves something to complain about.
Exactly what I'm thinking. The majority are fine with going with youth, drafting and waiting to develop. Yet everyday we read, we suck what are we going to do.

Hey don't sweat it, everything is going according to plan.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 05:50 PM
BertCorbeau

Short answer: Yes .. Long answer: Reading up around here makes me feel like this fanbase doesn't deserve to making the playoffs, let along win a cup

BertCorbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 05:50 PM
number72

Nope. Hab and Sen fans are far worse.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 05:52 PM
TrueBlue86

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPunch View Post
We're at game 5. A little over a week in.
stopped reading here

we're 5 games in? really? we're at season 8 of futility.

if you cannot recognize that then i can't help you

i'd accuse you of being satisfied with mediocrity but this is much worse. mediocrity would be making the playoffs every once in a while

TrueBlue86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 05:54 PM
Leafidelity
Registered Leafs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue86 View Post
stopped reading here

i'd accuse you of being satisfied with mediocrity but this is much worse. mediocrity would be making the playoffs every once in a while
So you're saying its this team and managements fault for the first season we didn't make the playoffs, even though everything from the owners, GM, coach and entire roster are different? I need to use this as an example in my original post.

Old
01-27-2013, 05:54 PM
thewave

No we have the most fans and so the odds that we have the most idiots is hreater. Idiot fans also tend to be more vocal and so it seems that we have the worst when we just have enough idiot fans to get noticed.

thewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 05:55 PM
Bomber0104

Quote:
stopped reading here

Pretty much this.

All we do as fans is develop opinions on the performance of the team and the players.

The Leafs haven't made the playoffs in close to a decade, and have been in the sewer the past few years (under Brian Burke) without first round draft picks.

Are Leafs fans the worst? No. The team is. We're just along for the ride.

Bomber0104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 05:56 PM
TrueBlue86

Quote:
Don't believe me? Look around at any other teams forums. You'll be lucky to get a hit on half of these threads.
continued reading for the LOLs

if the other fan bases experienced the degree of futility that we did you'd be hard pressed to find a current thread or two at all

Old
01-27-2013, 05:59 PM
Leafidelity
Registered Leafs Fan

Quote:

if the other fan bases experienced the degree of futility that we did you'd be hard pressed to find a current thread or two at all
You're obviously too young to remember "The Dead Wings" era in Detroit.

Old
01-27-2013, 06:01 PM
Hurt

Quote:

Exactly. How many teams would continue to lead in revenue generated, profits earned, fans watching games after eight years of being mired in mediocrity? Not many. It's almost offensive to be called the worst fans in the NHL.

Hurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:02 PM
TrueBlue86

Quote:
So you're saying its this team and managements fault for the first season we didn't make the playoffs, even though everything from the owners, GM, coach and entire roster are different? I need to use this as an example in my original post.
LOL dude you can't be this narrow minded, can you?????????

so we're supposed to forget the horror show of the last 7 years plus just 'cause we have new coach and a new gm, even though the coach was appointed by the last gm (who was here for the great part of the 7 years) and a gm that worked under the old gm

remember the crap we've been fed since burke got here? he's gone now without a #1C, #1D man or a #1 Goalie, OK prospects at best etc... built a team with a HORRIBLE core of kessel and dion... build a team from the wing out
what about the broken promises we've been fed?
so we're supposed to wipe everything out of our memory??? ahaahaha

well, excuse me if our fanbase is a little jaded at this team

look, i like nonnis and i pray to god he's taking the team in a new direction but how can you possibly blame the fans for being frustrated?

Old
01-27-2013, 06:05 PM
Erdinger

Quote:
You're obviously too young to remember "The Dead Wings" era in Detroit.
But the Leafs sucked during most of that era too. There was the period of good Leafs teams in the mid-late '70's and then nothing till 1992. The highlight of Wings-Leafs games back then were the brawls. The Olympia actually used to have more Leafs fans in attendance for those games so no I do not believe Leafs fans are the worst..

Old
TrueBlue86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber0104 View Post

Are Leafs fans the worst? No. The team is. We're just along for the ride.
yea man. i remember the 2nd part of 2010-2011 when we were winning 2/3 games with a hot Reimer how jacked the fanbase was.

on facebook, radio shows, you name it...

leaf fans are dying for a winner. we can endure more than any other fanbase but every fanbase has a breaking point. i think we're past it

Old
Winreims

Not the worst. We are the most desperate. Desperate to WIN after almost a decade of losing

Winreims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
mapes

Replace the coach?

Missed that one..

mapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:06 PM
JAMmer124
Independent Living

Nope, because we're still here despite the fact that the team is garbage. Even though the team sucks, the fans are still here, are still loyal.

I'd go on a limb and say Leaf fans are some of the best, because while not always logical, we still support our team. Easy to be fans of teams like Vancouver, Pittsburgh, the Rangers etc. Being a Leaf fan, or an Oilers fan, or Columbus fan shows true loyalty to your team. And that is how a fan base should be measured.

JAMmer124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:06 PM
Leafidelity
Registered Leafs Fan

Quote:
LOL dude you can't be this narrow minded, can you?????????

so we're supposed to forget the horror show of the last 7 years plus just 'cause we have new coach and a new gm, even though the coach was appointed by the last gm (who was here for the great part of the 7 years) and a gm that worked under the old gm

remember the crap we've been fed since burke got here? he's gone now without a #1C, #1D man or a #1 Goalie, OK prospects at best etc... built a team with a HORRIBLE core of kessel and dion... build a team from the wing out
what about the broken promises we've been fed?
so we're supposed to wipe everything out of our memory??? ahaahaha

well, excuse me if our fanbase is a little jaded at this team

look, i like nonnis and i pray to god he's taking the team in a new direction but how can you possibly blame the fans for being frustrated?
So what you're saying is that it's ok to blame the new regime for the old regime? The only thing that's remained the same since the last lockout is the jersey and the building they play in. Some of our current players were around 10 years old when this hole started getting dug.