HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are Leafs fans the worst in the NHL?

Old
01-27-2013, 05:07 PM
KuleminFan41

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber0104 View Post
Pretty much this.

All we do as fans is develop opinions on the performance of the team and the players.

The Leafs haven't made the playoffs in close to a decade, and have been in the sewer the past few years (under Brian Burke) without first round draft picks.

Are Leafs fans the worst? No. The team is. We're just along for the ride.
"without first round draft picks"

Kadri,Rielly,Biggs and Percy aren't first round draft picks?4 drafts,4 first rounders.

KuleminFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 05:08 PM
Bomber0104

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue86 View Post
yea man. i remember the 2nd part of 2010-2011 when we were winning 2/3 games with a hot Reimer how jacked the fanbase was.

on facebook, radio shows, you name it...

leaf fans are dying for a winner. we can endure more than any other fanbase but every fanbase has a breaking point. i think we're past it
Leafs fans are loyal perhaps to a fault. Defending every player/coach/GM until they leave Toronto...still paying for the tickets...still turning on the TV set...throwing waffles on the ice...

It all adds up to them being the most loyal and loyalty is seen as an admirable character trait.

Bomber0104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 05:09 PM
finchster

Send a message via ICQ to finchster
What do you think happens when your team sucks? I remember the Bruins board before they won the Cup, there were vitriol treads on every topic imaginable. I joined the site during the 2006-07 season, not really the high point in Bruins fandom. The Leafs kind of remind me of that 2006-07 Bruins team, some nice pieces but the supporting cast is garbage.

finchster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 05:10 PM
Winreims

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
Replace the coach?

Missed that one..
Oh yeah... after the loss last night people were calling him a terrible coach and wanting him replaced. He's only coached 23 games

Winreims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 05:11 PM
Atomos2
#theProspectsGrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPunch View Post
We're at game 5. A little over a week in. At current we've had threads for.

1) Replacing the coach
2) Trading the captain/top defenseman
3) Trading the leading goal scorer
4) Questioning the JVR trade
5) Envying the worst team of the past 5 season
6) Blamed the new regime (Owners, GM, Coach, Roster) for previous failure

Before the season started (in October) we had

1) Kadri (our top forward prospect) is fat and a bust

Now I don't think all fans are the worst, but we easily have the lowest of the low. Don't believe me? Look around at any other teams forums. You'll be lucky to get a hit on half of these threads per team forum. Nowhere else in the NHL do fans consistently pit their players against hypothetical scenarios. There's absolutely no way to say who the Leafs would have drafted with the Kessel picks, yet it's debated as a certainty, as if it was a straight trade for Seguin/Hamilton/Knight.

Alot of people aren't involved in the starting of such mass hysteria but join in the threads because they're already made and a hot topic. To those I say, please step back off the ledge. But for those insisting on bringing people up there with them, just jump already. You're not going to change anything, and only succeeding in making people along for the ride miserable.

Time to aim the hyper-analysis at the fanbase.
Someone has low self esteem issues.

Leaf nation is fine. All these questions and scenarios come with being the centre of attention in the hockey world and the centre for hockey media. Especially after missing the playoffs for 7 years and counting why wouldn't you second guess everything that is happening on this team. Let's evaluate ourselves after the leafs make the payoffs...whenever that will be. Its easy to criticize during these dark times.

Atomos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Erdinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber0104 View Post
Leafs fans are loyal perhaps to a fault. Defending every player/coach/GM until they leave Toronto...still paying for the tickets...still turning on the TV set...throwing waffles on the ice...

It all adds up to them being the most loyal and loyalty is seen as an admirable character trait.
The most asinine description I've heard of Leafs fans is that we are bandwagoners. I mean seriously think about that. That's like me being a lifelong Detroit Lions fan being called a bandwagoner when they win 2 games in a season.

Erdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Winreims

Quote:
Originally Posted by finchster View Post
What do you think happens when your team sucks? I remember the Bruins board before they won the Cup, there were vitriol treads on every topic imaginable. I joined the site during the 2006-07 season, not really the high point in Bruins fandom. The Leafs kind of remind me of that 2006-07 Bruins team, some nice pieces but the supporting cast is garbage.
The Leafs have been the 2006-07 Bruins for the past five-six years

Winreims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 05:15 PM
ChesapeakeRipper
Dr. Hannibal Lecter

vCash: 50
i think leafs fans are just passionate. We're emotionally connected to every win and loss. just watch, once we go on a three game winning streak, all the comments and threads would be about "Carlyle being a genius", "reimer is god", "JVR trade was Gold", "Orr being the best heavy weight out there" etc...

Last edited by ChesapeakeRipper: 01-27-2013 at 05:32 PM.
ChesapeakeRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 05:17 PM
Parkdale

No, Leaf fans are the league's best. That's why the franchise is the most valuable. Seriously!!

Parkdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 05:20 PM
Erdinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
No, Leaf fans are the league's best. That's why the franchise is the most valuable. Seriously!!
Any sports franchise anywhere would kill for this fanbase.

I'm getting sick of being lectured about being lousy fans quite frankly.

Old
01-27-2013, 05:21 PM
cup67
HAIL TO OUR LEADER

this team is not bad, but with carlyles system, they all better be ready to play hard all game every game.
some players will last ,some will never be able to play his style.
new coach.

cup67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 05:21 PM
HarrisonFord
He's baaaaaack

Yes. Many Leafs fans expect that we should be just like the Yankees because we're the biggest hockey market in the world. Unfortunately, there is a salary cap and instead of being able to buy a team like we used to, and people don't understand that an organization has to operate strategically to be a winning team.

The Leaf fanbase and media puts huge pressure on the team to win now ALL the time, so thats why quick fixes (Kessel trade, people calling for Luongo, etc) are found here. I really think that fan and media pressure is a huge reason that we haven't won in a long, long time. (I also think that the Toronto sports media is the worst in the NHL)

HarrisonFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 05:23 PM
Erdinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReimerForPM View Post
Yes. Many Leafs fans expect that we should be just like the Yankees because we're the biggest hockey market in the world. Unfortunately, there is a salary cap and instead of being able to buy a team like we used to, and people don't understand that an organization has to operate strategically to be a winning team.

The Leaf fanbase and media puts huge pressure on the team to win now ALL the time, so thats why quick fixes (Kessel trade, people calling for Luongo, etc) are found here. I really think that fan and media pressure is a huge reason that we haven't won in a long, long time. (I also think that the Toronto sports media is the worst in the NHL)
Montreal's media blows Toronto's away. Ask any Habs fan who lives in Quebec if you don't believe me.

Old
01-27-2013, 05:24 PM
TrueBlue86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdinger View Post

I'm getting sick of being lectured about being lousy fans quite frankly.
there's not that many ppl lecturing. i think most leaf fans are realizing that this team is broken at the core and things won't get better with a piece or two, even if we were 5-0 to start the season.

there's still some ppl holding out but less and less. last year i was much more convinced myself of the possible upside, mostly due to junk burke fed me.

btw, like i said, i'm happy with the direction of nonnis ie. play the young guys and tank pretty much (unless he changes)

it doesn't mean i can't vent.

i think what some ppl need to realize is alot of us are still frustrated at the old administration (ie. burke) and him leaving won't make us shut up in less than a month...
give it some time ppl

TrueBlue86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 05:25 PM
cup67
HAIL TO OUR LEADER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
its because hockey is so big in toronto, look how many ice rinks we have in toronto, never mind outside toronto.
how many players play , how many leagues.
in toronto, the money generated for hockey , youth, adult, could be over 500 mil per year, if not more.

Old
01-27-2013, 05:27 PM
TrueBlue86

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReimerForPM View Post

LMFAO, no they don't. BURKE said HIMSELF he'd try to WIN NOW. you think a big bully like him was persuaded by the media? it's funny the media didn't affect him much after that did they?

if anything you can blame the ownership and the gms for the failed impatient approach, not the fans and the media. the 'pressure' should just be white noise.

they should have THEIR plan on how to build a team (that's why burke got 3 mil/year right) and stick with it

i won't feel sorry for someone with a 3 mil salary being persuaded by the meda

TrueBlue86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 05:31 PM
cup67
HAIL TO OUR LEADER

we just want to win, have a team that makes the playoffs, playes hard.
look at the years we were winning, going to the semi's, everyone was happy back than, positive.
so start winning, getting in the playoffs, everything starts to change.

Old
01-27-2013, 05:43 PM
Erdinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cup67 View Post
we just want to win, have a team that makes the playoffs, playes hard.
look at the years we were winning, going to the semi's, everyone was happy back than, positive.
so start winning, getting in the playoffs, everything starts to change.
Anyone who was around in Toronto during the 92-93 playoff run knows that a Leafs player who got to play on an actual Leafs SC winner would be a god around town. I used to live just down the street from the Madison which was Wendel Clark's hangout and my regular pub and him,Gilmour and the boys used to come in after the games on that run. Great bunch of guys,manager used to try to get the people out of the lower level so they could celebrate but the player's themselves let everybody who was still there just share in everything. If that run is any indication of what Toronto would be like during a Cup winning season I can't imagine how any player wouldn't want to play in this city. Worst fans in the NHL my ass.

Old
01-27-2013, 05:44 PM
YogiCanucks

Passionate fans win All day Erry day over fans that don't care.

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 05:46 PM
Erdinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
Passionate fans win All day Erry day over fans that don't care.
So right there Canucks fan. Didn't the Devils have their last SC celebration in the Meadowlands arena parking lot. Brutal.

Old
01-27-2013, 05:47 PM
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK

vCash: 50
Habs and Leafs. Due to the number of fans alone.

legendinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 05:49 PM
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!

Personally, I am a pessimist and I care about the Leafs quite a bit, that being said it's really hard to understand how we've been so noncompetitive for so long. I'm patient, I'm willing to begin a proper rebuild, but it's mind boggling how long we've been at this.

FishManSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 05:52 PM
Jerkini

I've been around this place for a long time and i've never seen the level of stupidity that i'm seeing right now. I think this place being mentioned on the radio every so often was the worst thing that could possibly happen.

Jerkini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 05:56 PM
Erdinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
I've been around this place for a long time and i've never seen the level of stupidity that i'm seeing right now. I think this place being mentioned on the radio every so often was the worst thing that could possibly happen.
But does what is being said on these boards make Leafs fans the worst in the NHL? That was the OP's question?

Old
01-27-2013, 06:08 PM
rimshot

An unstable ownership situation has had more to do with losing than anything.The last stable ownership situation was with the founder Conn Smythe. Since then we have had a succession of clowns, both professional (Ballard) and amateur(Teachers Pension).The Red Wings were the joke of the NHL until Illich came along. Blackhawks were nearly as bad until Wirtz senior sold the farm.
TO media is extremely annoying and unprofessional but worse than Boston? They are not even in the same universe as New York

rimshot is offline   Reply With Quote