HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Would you still do the Hodgson trade?

Old
06-27-2012, 10:54 AM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

vCash: 500
Would you still do the Hodgson trade?

I like the trade... I think Hogdson has the ability to be a very god player.

But with Roy still being here, still likely being here this season given the trade market (supposedly) along with the emergence of Ennis at center and the drafting of two highly touted center prospects, does the trade still make sense?

My issue is, we dn't really have that 3rd line center type guy... We're talking about adding Ott or someone Ottish? Ottlike?

If we do add a 3rd line center type in the vein of an Ott, would moving Roy to a wing make sense to see if Ennis and Hodgson can carry the load at center.....

Basically, if the team is structured the way it is, and we expect Griggles to make the team, if we add another center who plays where?

Karate Johnson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 10:54 AM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

And no, that's not a typo.... He could be a god-player

Old
06-27-2012, 10:57 AM
SabresBillsBuffalo

Yes I would.

SabresBillsBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 10:59 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Without a second thought.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 10:59 AM
haseoke39
Brainfart 4 Reinhart

The way this team has been for the last 5 years, I absolutely would want a glut of centers and have to move one or two to wing.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 11:01 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Absolutely. The more young centers the better.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 11:05 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
I would rather have Kassian at this point, but how were we supposed to know what Ennis would turn into?

stokes84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Duddy
Everyday is

Yes AINEC

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

You'll have about 98 people say yes and 2 people say no.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 11:06 AM
pigpen65

Absolutely not. They said before the trade they needed a center. They said after the trade they needed a center. He filled no need on the team, and now that they got Grigorenko, he's even less needed. He was just more of the same for this team. For picks i could have lived with it, but they traded away a huge need of the team to get him which was size and toughness.

pigpen65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 11:06 AM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Why wouldn't we?

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 11:09 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Most definitely. Since when did it become a problem to have too many centers? Boston has about six of them on their NHL roster. LA has Carter playing on the wing, and he's more than capable of moving inside if Kopitar or Richards left the lineup for a period of time.

I think history will be on Buffalo's side when it comes to the Kassian/Hodgson swap.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 11:11 AM
joshjull

Yes I would for the reasons others have stated already.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
matthew94

Send a message via AIM to matthew94
I don't worry too much about positions. I worry about having good players. I think Hodgson is a better player now and will continue to be a better player than Kassian. So definitely, I would do the trade easily.

matthew94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

I could honestly go either way... It's not like Hodgson helped us, and I'd still be excited about Kassian if we still had him.

But I'm excited about Hodgson too....

I get having a glut of centers , my only Concern is we don't have that #1 guy or that #3 shutdown guy.... We have like 3 second line centers....

Griggles and Girggles will hopefully fill those roles I. The FOOTURE !!

I wouldn't be surprised if Ennis is back on the wing at some point,... He was pretty good there too.

Old
06-27-2012, 11:13 AM
McTank

Hell yea, even if we dont need him we can trade hodgson for more than what we gave up

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 11:15 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karate Johnson View Post
I could honestly go either way... It's not like Hodgson helped us, and I'd still be excited about Kassian if we still had him.

But I'm excited about Hodgson too....

I get having a glut of centers , my only Concern is we don't have that #1 guy or that #3 shutdown guy.... We have like 3 second line centers....

I wouldn't be surprised if Ennis is back on the wing at some point,... He was pretty good there too.
I think its too soon to say what we have with the centers on the roster and in the system (in terms of #1, #2 or #3 status). Other than Ennis is not a shutdown center, I think thats a safe assumption.

Its also worth noting that by having more than 2 top 6 centers, the burden for any one of them is lessened. So the need for one center to carry the load offensively or defensively is removed.

Old
06-27-2012, 11:19 AM
stokes84

My issue is in team building. We have 4 very good, very young centers. 3 of them are scoring, and 1 of them is checking type. Out of the 3 scoring centers, Hodgson, Grigs and Ennis, I would rank Hodgson as having the least upside. Now, if we were to look for one thing to add to this team, it would be a big nasty guy that can score, which is exactly what Kassian is. It's not the worst problem in the world, but the way it fell, Hodgson looks like the odd man to me.

Old
06-27-2012, 11:22 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
My issue is in team building. We have 4 very good, very young centers. 3 of them are scoring, and 1 of them is checking type. Out of the 3 scoring centers, Hodgson, Grigs and Ennis, I would rank Hodgson as having the least upside. Now, if we were to look for one thing to add to this team, it would be a big nasty guy that can score, which is exactly what Kassian is. It's not the worst problem in the world, but the way it fell, Hodgson looks like the odd man to me.
I see Hodgson being develped into a two way, Dury type role. Thats something neither Grigs nor Ennis have the tools to be developed into.

Old
06-27-2012, 11:26 AM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
Hodgson has a ton of upside, he's 22 years old, when he was a prospect he was very very highly touted. His vision is very very good, better than Ennis' already, his shot is good, his only knack right now IMO is defensive play and more importantly his skating, if he can get his skating in check he can be a 70 pt 2 way guy, like some people mentioned Drury like.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 11:26 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Every day of the week and twice on draft day.

And the obvious move to me if Grigorenko makes the roster is that Ennis gets moved back to the wing unless Roy gets shipped out.

As far as who plays the traditional 3rd line checking role, today's TBN article shows that Ruff wants all four lines to be good two way lines and there isn't a traditional shut down line.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 11:27 AM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

This pondering lead me to the question..... What if the Duckies were all like "Ryan for Hodgson, Pysyk, and a 1st"

Or something like that..., replace Hodgson with Ennis if you like that better...do you do it.... I think I probably would simply because I wanna maximize my resources.....

Old
06-27-2012, 11:30 AM
joshjull

Quote:
This pondering lead me to the question..... What if the Duckies were all like "Ryan for Hodgson, Pysyk, and a 1st"

Or something like that..., replace Hodgson with Ennis if you like that better...do you do it.... I think I probably would simply because I wanna maximize my resources.....
Thats an interesting question. I would say no to Hodgson but yes if it was Ennis.

Last edited by joshjull: 06-27-2012 at 11:43 AM.
Old
06-27-2012, 11:32 AM
stokes84

Quote:

I would deal Hodgson, I wouldn't deal Ennis.

Old
06-27-2012, 11:33 AM
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner

I have centers falling out my back pocket and I don't even care. I'll do the trade twice.

Tim Murray is online now   Reply With Quote