HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I ain't even mad

Old
01-27-2013, 06:23 PM
misterchainsaw
Garbo is coming

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to misterchainsaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz28 View Post
Then make up your mind. It seems you're just playing devils advocate. If this team flounders as bad as it appears it's going to(iow how many 3 game losing streaks can you have in a 48 game season), then what next? Defending what Ruff did 10 years ago, and trying to claim NJ isn't as good as I think they are is doing what?
Make up my mind? My mind is made up. And I've been very clear.

But I'm going to argue against people who blame anything and everything on Ruff as well as people who claim he's always been a bad coach, because that's simply not the case.

In my mind, this season is a rebuilding season. We're very young, especially at center which is arguably the most important position outside of goalie, so we're going to be inconsistent. That's just the way young teams are.

I simply don't see our roster, as consitituted, as a playoff roster. I don't think a new coach will magically turn this group into a contender - but I'm not opposed to getting fresh blood in here at the start of next season and going in a new direction with the young blood that will continue to be coming up through the system.

With the high end youth that's still coming up, I don't expect this team to be really good for a couple of seasons yet.

misterchainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:25 PM
PlamsUnlimited
Get in the Boat Pls

vCash: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
Make up my mind? My mind is made up. And I've been very clear.

But I'm going to argue against people who blame anything and everything on Ruff as well as people who claim he's always been a bad coach, because that's simply not the case.

In my mind, this season is a rebuilding season. We're very young, especially at center which is arguably the most important position outside of goalie, so we're going to be inconsistent. That's just the way young teams are.

I simply don't see our roster, as consitituted, as a playoff roster. I don't think a new coach will magically turn this group into a contender - but I'm not opposed to getting fresh blood in here at the start of next season and going in a new direction with the young blood that will continue to be coming up through the system.

With the high end youth that's still coming up, I don't expect this team to be really good for a couple of seasons yet.
No one expects them to rip up the league and score 80 points this year. It's the frustration from lack of effort and defensive play I believe.

PlamsUnlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:28 PM
misterchainsaw
Garbo is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess What View Post
No one expects them to rip up the league and score 80 points this year. It's the frustration from lack of effort and defensive play I believe.
Which are also hallmarks of a young team. It takes awhile to learn what it takes to go full speed every night in the NHL.

When you're a step behind the play, it's very, very easy to look passionless. It doesn't mean that they don't care. But that's a pet peeve of mine for another day

Old
01-27-2013, 06:30 PM
Daz28

vCash: 450
Quote:
Exactly, with Miller in net, we should be a playoff contender. We have a full roster plus some, and we're dropping unmotivated wins to winless teams. If one injury is going to put this roster in 10th place, then we're under-perfoming.

Daz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:31 PM
5 Minute Major

vCash: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
U: This fanbase when we're losing. What a bunch of sniveling little girls.
Name me one fan base that would be content with the results we have had the past 6 seasons.

The time to be patient has long since ran out.

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:38 PM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Minute Major View Post
Name me one fan base that would be content with the results we have had the past 6 seasons.
Columbus Blue Jackets

Zman5778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:39 PM
PlamsUnlimited
Get in the Boat Pls

Quote:
Which are also hallmarks of a young team. It takes awhile to learn what it takes to go full speed every night in the NHL.

When you're a step behind the play, it's very, very easy to look passionless. It doesn't mean that they don't care. But that's a pet peeve of mine for another day
With guys like Myers doing it it pisses me off so much because he's been around the block. But Myers getting better. But yeah. Still annoying that Vanek's gone and not this game cause some guys had great chances (We have to capitalize on secondary chances if they bounce off the goalie, etc.) and almost got it. Like Grigorenko. If he elevated that shot, it goes in. Not mad at him for it cause he gave it what he could. But other guys making stupid decisions to force passes and what not...bad bad bad.

Old
01-27-2013, 06:41 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:

The time to be patient has long since ran out.
Who said to be patient? Who said fans should be content? I just think there are ways to express our opinions without sounding like a 5-year old girl who just had her doll taken from her.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:42 PM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Who said to be patient? Who said fans should be content? I just think there are ways to express our opinions without sounding like a 5-year old girl who just had her doll taken from her.
Frankly, I don't even know why I even read this thread. I knew what was gonna be in it.

Yet I read the whole thing.

Old
Daz28

Quote:
Perhaps you could set an example?

Old
misterchainsaw
Garbo is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman5778 View Post
Columbus Blue Jackets
New York Islanders, Edmonton Oilers, Calgary Flames, Winnipeg Jets/Atlanta Thrashers, Toronto Maple Leafs.

Bunch of other teams that have had just about the same results as well (Phoenix, Minnesota, Dallas, Anaheim, Ottawa, Florida.....

Old
01-27-2013, 06:45 PM
Zman5778

Quote:
New York Islanders, Edmonton Oilers, Calgary Flames, Winnipeg Jets/Atlanta Thrashers, Toronto Maple Leafs.

Bunch of other teams that have had just about the same results as well (Phoenix, Minnesota, Dallas, Anaheim, Ottawa, Florida.....
Yep. I'm sure a lot of teams would be satisfied with 2 division titles, 1 conf. final appearance and 3 playoff appearances in 6 years.

Columbus was just the first offhand.

Toronto, Montreal and Islanders I'm sure are close behind.

Old
01-27-2013, 06:47 PM
Daz28

Quote:
With guys like Myers doing it it pisses me off so much because he's been around the block. But Myers getting better. But yeah. Still annoying that Vanek's gone and not this game cause some guys had great chances (We have to capitalize on secondary chances if they bounce off the goalie, etc.) and almost got it. Like Grigorenko. If he elevated that shot, it goes in. Not mad at him for it cause he gave it what he could. But other guys making stupid decisions to force passes and what not...bad bad bad.
That's one important thing, too. While one door opens, is another door closing. It'll be great if Armia and Grigs are killing it in 3 years, but what will Miller, Vanek, Pommer, Regehr, Leopold, Ehrhoff, Leino(lol), etc. be doing then? Timing is important when you're not a perennial club like NJ, DET, PIT.

btw, the funniest posts in this thread are the, "I couldn't help but come in here and whine about the whiners whining".

PRICELESS.

Old
01-27-2013, 06:50 PM
PlamsUnlimited
Get in the Boat Pls

Vanek Poms will be around I think if they are patient with us. Isn't Vanek an FA this year..

Anyway, I think that's why we don't need to rush our guys...but sort of push them in the direction a bit faster...harder..

Old
01-27-2013, 06:51 PM
Daz28

Quote:
Yep. I'm sure a lot of teams would be satisfied with 2 division titles, 1 conf. final appearance and 3 playoff appearances in 6 years.

Columbus was just the first offhand.

Toronto, Montreal and Islanders I'm sure are close behind.
I disagree. While it may be a lot more fun to be an above .500 club many years, it's not fun to be infinitely mediocre. I'll bet EDM fans are happier with their club now than they would have if the went .500+ the last 5 years.

I also think most Sabre fans think a bit like me that it's ONLY about a cup, and nothing else. If the Bills taught me anything, it's that looking back on a good period with no championship, it's bittersweet.

Old
01-27-2013, 06:53 PM
Zman5778

Quote:
I disagree. While it may be a lot more fun to be an above .500 club many years, it's not fun to be infinitely mediocre.

But that's the thing -- we're usually mediocre that has an occasional GREAT season and rarely goes the other way.

We've been fortunate to never really have SUCKED badly for a few consecutive seasons.

Old
01-27-2013, 06:55 PM
Daz28

Quote:
But that's the thing -- we're usually mediocre that has an occasional GREAT season and rarely goes the other way.

We've been fortunate to never really have SUCKED badly for a few consecutive seasons.
...or maybe unfortunate. This may be a half empty/half full thingy. Anyone who's been a Bills fan for a long time knows. Worst part of that of course is that even being pretty bad didn't do us any good. I guess that would be the NHL's CBJ?

Old
01-27-2013, 06:55 PM
Zman5778

Quote:
I also think most Sabre fans think a bit like me that it's ONLY about a cup, and nothing else. If the Bills taught me anything, it's that looking back on a good period with no championship, it's bittersweet.
Yeah, on one hand in sucks. But, in the next breath, I do not ever hesitate to point out that it never happened before and it'll never happen again, and 4 in a row is something I take pride in as a fan.

Eventually it'll happen. Eventually the Sabres will win a Cup and the Bills will win a SB.

Old
01-27-2013, 06:57 PM
Zman5778

Quote:
...or maybe unfortunate. This may be a half empty/half full thingy. Anyone who's been a Bills fan for a long time knows. Worst part of that of course is that even being pretty bad didn't do us any good. I guess that would be the NHL's CBJ?
If the Sabres suck for 2 seasons in a row, I trust Darcy to make the draft picks necessary to bounce back in a big way.

In no way shape or form have I trusted the Bills brass since Polian.

Old
01-27-2013, 06:57 PM
5 Minute Major

Quote:
I agree with you that some are over the top but the frustration level of the fan base, as a whole, I believe is justified.

Everything just seems so stale right now. Same 'ol, same 'ol.

I don't know how they can do it but some fresh air needs to blow through the organization. I thought Pegula would do that but it seems like we have become more of a stale product.

Old
01-27-2013, 06:58 PM
Daz28

Quote:

Eventually it'll happen. Eventually the Sabres will win a Cup and the Bills will win a SB.
Hopefully we'll be alive for it(and the nursing home will carry MSG).

LOL

Old
01-27-2013, 06:58 PM
Dfnswnschmpnshps

I thought Foligno played his best game of the season by far. He was also the best forward tonight.

What happened to Gerbe? Maybe he isn't fully recovered from his injury, but he is not the player I remember him to be.

Myers had his best period of the season in the 3rd IMO. Finally looked like he wanted to make a difference offensively.

Grigs also had his best game so far. Increased minutes ( and better linemates ) showed his potential a little more

Dfnswnschmpnshps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:59 PM
5 Minute Major

Quote:
Yeah, on one hand in sucks. But, in the next breath, I do not ever hesitate to point out that it never happened before and it'll never happen again, and 4 in a row is something I take pride in as a fan.

I have been thinking the same thing for the past 35 years. Right now neither franchise is close.

Old
01-27-2013, 07:00 PM
Zman5778

Quote:
I don't know how they can do it but some fresh air needs to blow through the organization. I though Pegula would do that but it seems like we have become more of a stale product.
There's a breeze. If McNabb can get his head out his ass, Pysyk, McCabe, Kea, Cat and Armia can continue to develop.....the breeze should become a gust.

Right now, I think there are guys (Vanek, Poms, Staff) that have heard Ruff's message for too long and maybe it's gone a bit stale.

Changing coaches is the easy move......but I'm still not 100% sold that it's the right move right now.

Old
01-27-2013, 07:01 PM
Zman5778

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfnswnschmpnshps View Post
I thought Foligno played his best game of the season by far. He was also the best forward tonight.
Agreed. I wanted to see Lindy bump Foligno up with CoHo and Poms for the third. Foligno had it working, and CoHo and Foligno had some chemistry down in Rochester.

If Vanek's out Tuesday, I'd LOVE to see Foligno with CoHo and Poms