HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Could a freakishly good female make it as a backup goalie in the NHL?

View Poll Results: Could a female make the NHL as a backup goalie?
Yes 51 42.15%
No 70 57.85%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-27-2013, 05:35 PM
Dontdive

vCash: 500
Could a freakishly good female make it as a backup goalie in the NHL?

This is basically about how close you think exceptional females can get to the athletic and skill level necessary for at least a borderline position in the NHL.

As we all know, no female has ever really played in the NHL. Yes, Manon Rhéaume played in two exhibition games for the Tampa Bay Lightning, but team co-founder Phil Esposito admitted (in his autobiography) that he did it only as a publicity stunt, to attract attention to the new team.

At any rate, I'm talking about a female legitimately earning a real position for real games, even if (to make things easier/more likely) "only" as a backup goaltender.

If you reply no, no real elaboration is necessary. But what about if the answer is yes? And under what conditions do you think this is or could be more likely to occur?

Dontdive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 05:36 PM
No One In Particular*

A locker room for one player, lol.

No One In Particular* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 05:39 PM
Hurt
Global Moderator

No. Even the best hockey playing females in the world struggle with 15-18 year old boys. Backup goalie would imply she is an NHL caliber player to some extent and I just don't think any woman is there right now or will be in the near future.

01-27-2013, 05:41 PM
Dontdive

Hmmm I wish a poll hadn't been added after the fact, getting this thread moved. I think the discussion about why/why not for the answer is a lot more interesting than the simple yes/no we're likely to get now.

Dontdive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 05:41 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

No. Never say never in terms of ability, but I am pretty sure there are a number of other reasons, including perhaps even rules, that would conflict with it happenening.

fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 05:42 PM
Ralphy
BONG

Maybe some day, but no time soon. I still answered yes because I believe it COULD happen.

Ralphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Talentwise: Probably
Realistically: Not any time soon.

Vankiller Whale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 50
As a goalie, yes.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 05:44 PM
SchultzSquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
No. Even the best hockey playing females in the world struggle with 15-18 year old boys. Backup goalie would imply she is an NHL caliber player to some extent and I just don't think any woman is there right now or will be in the near future.
To put this is in perspective... Shannon Szabados backstopped the Canadian team at the Olympics... decent AJHL goalie... now plays for a technical college in Edmonton. A woman would need to be 6'0 at least... and 180-190 pounds... to even have a chance

SchultzSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:00 PM
Art of Sedinery

No, simply because she would have to significantly outplay all other options in order to even be considered.

Art of Sedinery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:09 PM
Dasachtach
Bluenoser

No lol

Dasachtach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:12 PM
TheDoubleDion87
Rookie User

Unfortunately no.

TheDoubleDion87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:12 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
I would agree with this.

Basically if one says yes to the poll that makes the hypothetical female goalie one of the best 60 in the world.

That's unlikely for several reasons.

The 1st and most important reason is the opportunity to develop as a top notch goalie talent. Males have probably a ratio of 1000-1 to develop goalie talent at a top notch rate, ie at every age grouping in the world and the top 1000 spots in terms of competition in the big hockey playing markets there will be 1000 boys to one girl (maybe even more than that).

There simply are not enough girls playing goalie at a high enough level to expect one of them to break out and get the chance IMO.

Hardyvan123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:14 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

I don't think so.

Women might be more flexible and maybe move better, but the problem would be surviving the goalmouth battles and big guys crashing the net all game long. You'd need a genetic freak who tends goal and can also face top competition for most of her development - which doesn't happen if she's a, well, female.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:20 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 695
Quote:
Essentially this. Same reason why we'll never see a woman in the NBA. The best WNBA players couldn't cut it on an average NCAA Division I men's squad, much less the Charlotte Bobcats.

No Fun Shogun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:24 PM
Orr123

Quote:
I actually disagree with that statement. An Olympic woman goalie could hack it with 15-18 year old's. Fairly easily.

I don't think a women could hack it in the NHL though. Partly because I do not think she'd be taken seriously, and she would have so much scrutiny that she's pretty much be run out of town unless she was better than all other goalies.

But I think a women goalie who was taller than most girls and decently weighted, could be just as good as some backup goalies. Just would never happen.

Orr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:25 PM
TheDoubleDion87
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
I would agree with this.

Basically if one says yes to the poll that makes the hypothetical female goalie one of the best 60 in the world.

That's unlikely for several reasons.

The 1st and most important reason is the opportunity to develop as a top notch goalie talent. Males have probably a ratio of 1000-1 to develop goalie talent at a top notch rate, ie at every age grouping in the world and the top 1000 spots in terms of competition in the big hockey playing markets there will be 1000 boys to one girl (maybe even more than that).

There simply are not enough girls playing goalie at a high enough level to expect one of them to break out and get the chance IMO.
Exactly. This.

Couldn't think of a way to put it in words.

TheDoubleDion87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:27 PM
Sushiko
Damn Blues

Yeah maybe a big strong amazon type. I don't think it will happen; I think maybe a capable woman is out there that might be able to pull it off for a couple seasons but she would likely not be discovered, try, care to try, or be given a shot. I keep thinking of Adam Sandlers german friend and co-worker in 50 First Dates for some reason...

Sushiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:29 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Eventually a phenom will come along. They always do.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:30 PM
Dasachtach
Bluenoser

Right. It's because not enough girls are playing not because of the physical differences between the sexes. Lmao. At least you "guys" are good for a laugh.

Dasachtach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:31 PM
octopi

vCash: 703
Goaltending doesn't involve flat out speed and brute strength but does favor terrific reflexes and flexibility, so yes. Size could be a factor, but it's not that unusual for a woman to be say, 5ft 10, which is the height of some of the male goalies. We do tend to be narrower through the shoulders. I'm wearing large/XL womens clothes but medium in men's shoulder pads. And that's not considering the fact I could also fit a few of the junior XLs and men's small easily(although the fit in the chest was a lit odd, so I went up to med)

However, there is also fact that there are only about 1 female to every 100 males in hockey, which is a huge setback. And yes, this is a factor. Fewer players= less available talent pool.Women's hockey just isn't as competitive as men for this reason and another: Once again, our size and strength and foot speed. Comparitively we can't match up physically with anything older than 15-16 year old boys.So, most female goalies are playign against female competition which won;t shoot as hard or move in as quickly. I think if girl goalies were developed on male teams there'd be more of a chace. As it is, it's not impossible but pretty unlikely.

octopi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:34 PM
Orr123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domhnall Dubh View Post
Right. It's because not enough girls are playing not because of the physical differences between the sexes. Lmao. At least you "guys" are good for a laugh.
In all fairness, girls do have less opportunity when it comes to high level hockey. They just don't have the same thing.

When I was young, I played with guys until I was 10, simply because they didn't have a girls league. Now, there is definitely more opportunity for younger girls, but it isn't the same. When I was 10, I was playing with 10-18 year olds as well. Not really all that great for development.

And there just isn't the same programs for girls. But it is getting better.

If you have a girl, who is large and skilled, she could probably hack it as a back up. But it wouldn't happen.

Orr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:36 PM
MastuhNinks

No, not in the foreseeable future. I can't attest to the fact personally, but I've heard guys talking about facing the Canadian Women's National team practicing against high school teams and getting beaten. Even if we had the Wayne Gretzky of women's hockey I don't think she'd make it.

MastuhNinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:37 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Haley Wickenheiser used to play in third tier womans leagues in Europe who could probably hack it with an average CHL team. Struggle isn't the right word.

If there was a female goalie who was far and away the greatest woman goalie ever, I could see her playing in the CHL but I'm not sure about the NHL.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:38 PM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr123 View Post
I actually disagree with that statement. An Olympic woman goalie could hack it with 15-18 year old's. Fairly easily.

I don't think a women could hack it in the NHL though. Partly because I do not think she'd be taken seriously, and she would have so much scrutiny that she's pretty much be run out of town unless she was better than all other goalies.

But I think a women goalie who was taller than most girls and decently weighted, could be just as good as some backup goalies. Just would never happen.
http://www.hockeycanada.ca/index.php...50/la_id/1.htm

Canadian women's team potential candidates facing a Junior B team and losing 6-2.

Hurt is online now   Reply With Quote