HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Could a freakishly good female make it as a backup goalie in the NHL?

View Poll Results: Could a female make the NHL as a backup goalie?
Yes 51 42.15%
No 70 57.85%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-27-2013, 09:43 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2725
There is probably extreme collusion going on against women in sports. It's never going to happen for plenty of reasons. Three of those are:

1. Separate locker room?
2. Skill
3. Maternity leave

01-27-2013, 09:46 PM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
No, it won't happen in our lifetime. Put it this way, Manon Rheaume was used by Phil Esposito for a mere promotion in exhibition. It is no accident that Manon looked the way she did. In other words, Manon had the luxury of looking the way every female sportscaster looks on TV. She was pretty. Very pretty. If she had so much as a crooked tooth she wouldn't have even been asked to play goalie. The Tampa Bay Lightning needed some..............well, Lightning to ignite the fan base. What better than an attractive female goalie just for a gig? It worked. She didn't stand a chance against the NHL shooters and this was a goalie who was an Olympian for the Canadians. So in other words, the best woman goalie in the world more or less had 0% chance.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 09:49 PM
jughead42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontdive View Post
This is basically about how close you think exceptional females can get to the athletic and skill level necessary for at least a borderline position in the NHL.

As we all know, no female has ever really played in the NHL. Yes, Manon Rhéaume played in two exhibition games for the Tampa Bay Lightning, but team co-founder Phil Esposito admitted (in his autobiography) that he did it only as a publicity stunt, to attract attention to the new team.

At any rate, I'm talking about a female legitimately earning a real position for real games, even if (to make things easier/more likely) "only" as a backup goaltender.

If you reply no, no real elaboration is necessary. But what about if the answer is yes? And under what conditions do you think this is or could be more likely to occur?
If one ever goes pro as a backup in the ahl or echl then maybe we can start to talk about this.

jughead42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 09:49 PM
Hubie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
Haley Wickenheiser used to play in third tier womans leagues in Europe who could probably hack it with an average CHL team. Struggle isn't the right word.
Wickenheiser played a season with Salamat in the Finnish tier 3 league and was able to at least not make a fool of herself and keep a roster spot. The next year the team was promoted to the tier 2 league (Mestis). At this point it was obvious she was in way over her head and she left the team after a few games.

Wickenheiser is I guess considered possibly the best female hockey player of all time, so I guess that is some kind of indication where a woman could reach. A goalie might be different of course.

Hubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:00 PM
Orr123

Women just do not, and likely will never have, the same amount of competition. Nor do they have the same leg power (same reason why men run faster, swim faster, ect).

If you had a guy growing up only playing women's hockey, I doubt he'd be able to play with men either. Just the lack of competitiveness in women's hockey is crazy, even at the Olympic level.

If you had a girl play with only guys (and likely would have to be a goalie with some height on her, as leg strengt/speed isn't as much of an issue), I could see it happening (if you ignore logistics of the situation).

It would be really awesome if a girl could though -- but she'd be run out of town pretty quick if she didn't have a crazy amount of confidence and drive.

Orr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:29 PM
Seedtype

When I first saw the title I read it as: 'Could a freakishly good looking female make it as a backup goalie in the NHL?'

Seedtype is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:55 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

I'm embarrassed that "no" is winning this poll. If a player is good enough to make the NHL, why on earth would gender matter? I feel like I'm in the 1800s

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:05 PM
um

i think the women would have to enter the boys league from the start, shes not gonna make it playing in weaker womens league. if this happens i think its possible

um is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:10 PM
Noob616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
I'm embarrassed that "no" is winning this poll. If a player is good enough to make the NHL, why on earth would gender matter? I feel like I'm in the 1800s
Come on. That's a pretty big if.

Noob616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:13 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888
Lets get into reality here:

1. Testosterone is important for strength and recovery, women produce less than 10% of what a man does.
2. Men have more fast twitch muscle fibers. So take into account no women are absolutely dominating goalies when the shots they are facing are slower, then add in the fact they themselves are going to be slower.
3. Ribs.
4. Women are extremely prone to concussions, women's hockey has more than twice as many per player hours than the men's hockey in the NCAA.
5. Women are also more prone to major knee injuries.

SimplySensational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:41 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob616 View Post
Come on. That's a pretty big if.
Maybe I'm not reading the OP correctly, but I don't see any limitation like this in the question.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:51 AM
beertelescope

Why does she have to be "freakishly" good, and just to be a backup? If someone has the ability to play the position, it should be irrelevant what genitalia they possess. Using broad biological generalizations doesn't mean it's not possible for a woman to have the abilities to play in the NHL. I feel like the reason it won't happen anytime soon is more so based in the way our society thinks, and less in the athletic abilities of women. The fact that EA finally puts a female character model in their NHL games and the only option is a blonde with pigtails says it all, really.

beertelescope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 01:16 AM
Dontdive

Quote:
Originally Posted by beertelescope View Post
Why does she have to be "freakishly" good, and just to be a backup?
I wrote "freakishly" to compare her competence to the average female hockey player, to give her a chance to compete against the guys. Ditto on being a backup.

If you don't do that, she likely won't have a chance. Don't forget, no female has ever played even "just" a regular season NHL game, ever.

Dontdive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 01:48 AM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
I sure as hell hope not.

01-28-2013, 10:33 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
There is probably extreme collusion going on against women in sports. It's never going to happen for plenty of reasons. Three of those are:

1. Separate locker room?
2. Skill
3. Maternity leave
No, the skill difference is the real reason. If there was a freakish mutant woman legitimately good enough to be an NHLer, a team would probably be willing to take a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Don't think that was the question. If, by some miracle, some woman was legitimately good enough, then they probably would get a chance.

The problem is that the skill level between men and women in this and most sports, and especially contact sports, is so massive that there is essentially no overlap at the top between genders. The worst players currently in the NHL could probably wipe the floor of an all-star women's team. Same goes for the worst players in the NBA versus an all-star WNBA team.

Take the best women's hockey player, and they wouldn't make most CHL or NCAA teams. Take the best women's basketball player, and they would probably play Division II men's ball. Take the best women's baseball player, and they probably wouldn't even hack it in single A baseball. Take the best women's tennis players, and they'd get beat by random run of the mill players, which actually did happen when some no name men's player beat both of the Serena sisters with ease, even taking a smoke break between matches. The best women's runners wouldn't even qualify in sprints or long distance runs against the best men.

It's not sexism or collusion, the gulf is just that vast for sports like these.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote