HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

The most undeservedly suffering fan base?

Old
01-28-2013, 11:33 AM
Brymas McCaberle

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
can you please tell me WHERE I said that.
I got you mixed up with a bunch of people from earlier in the thread that left some asinine one-liners. My mistake.

Brymas McCaberle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:34 AM
Sundinisagod
BPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
Actually it is true, at least with most leafs fans I know. If the teams wins a few games its all they talk about, if the team loses they simply lose interest and dont care, do other fanbases? Sure.. but not like leafs fans.
It would be far more accurate to say that Leaf fans are loyal to a fault than they are bandwagoners...

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:35 AM
COMCASTMONEY
14yrs/$110m

The Philadelphia Flyers. I know, you're thinking "**** you" because they're nothing like all these awful/defunct teams in this thread. But bear with it.

In the last 38 years, they have made the finals 6 times, losing a combined 5 cups to 4 of the greatest teams of all time ('70's Habs, 80's Oilers and Islanders, 90's Wings). The worst team to ever beat them in the Finals was the 2010 Chicago Blackhawks.

In '76 they lost their HOF starting goalie to an eye injury. In '85 their very promising young starter died. Hextall was their last great goalie.

They traded him, briefly, for Lindros. Destroyed by concussions and traded. Primeau became captain, played great for a bit, got them to a conference finals with a defense so plagued that Sami Kapanen was playing blueline. Next season, he suffers a career-ending concussion. Forsberg brought in, made captain. He breaks. Then Pronger is brought in. Career-ending concussion.

Flyers fans suffer because they consistently put their hope behind dudes who get seriously injured and have to retire. Because they have one of the strongest, most successful franchises in pro sports with only 2 rings in the past 40 years...which were won in years 1 and 2. Because their team never steps into irrelevance or mediocrity and yet never rewards them fully. Always the bridesmaid.

COMCASTMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:37 AM
Anisimovs AK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan2390 View Post
You only recently started filling the arena. For the first few seasons after the lockout, it was barely half full.
Do you watch NHL hockey? First of all, it was actually only two seasons. And since they moved into the Scottrade center attendance has been under 17,000 only three times. the first two seasons after the lockout and in 96-97 (it was 16,800 though). I cant believe I'm defending St. Louis (as a Jackets fan it makes me sick) but they are plenty of reasons why they arent the most suffering fan base, but lack of fans/fan interest is not one of them.

Anisimovs AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:40 AM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaches View Post
The Philadelphia Flyers. I know, you're thinking "**** you" because they're nothing like all these awful/defunct teams in this thread. But bear with it.

In the last 38 years, they have made the finals 6 times, losing a combined 5 cups to 4 of the greatest teams of all time ('70's Habs, 80's Oilers and Islanders, 90's Wings). The worst team to ever beat them in the Finals was the 2010 Chicago Blackhawks.

In '76 they lost their HOF starting goalie to an eye injury. In '85 their very promising young starter died. Hextall was their last great goalie.

They traded him, briefly, for Lindros. Destroyed by concussions and traded. Primeau became captain, played great for a bit, got them to a conference finals with a defense so plagued that Sami Kapanen was playing blueline. Next season, he suffers a career-ending concussion. Forsberg brought in, made captain. He breaks. Then Pronger is brought in. Career-ending concussion.

Flyers fans suffer because they consistently put their hope behind dudes who get seriously injured and have to retire. Because they have one of the strongest, most successful franchises in pro sports with only 2 rings in the past 40 years...which were won in years 1 and 2. Because their team never steps into irrelevance or mediocrity and yet never rewards them fully. Always the bridesmaid.
um, yeah... not working for me.

6 SCFs in 38 years? pretty good compared to several (many?) other teams.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:54 AM
mizzoublues29
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Edmonton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
30th 30th 29th.
lolololololololwut

So you've been an Oilers fan for 3 years I assume?

Blues fans are still waiting for their Cup. Someday, someday....

mizzoublues29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:49 PM
zeropotentate

I think there should be like tiers of suffering with like
Tier 1: Washington, St-Louis, Buffalo, Minnesota, Winnipeg, Vancouver. (both jets and through in Atlanta for good measure). Teams who've been around, or were around for a long time without a cup win. Perhaps final appearances but never won.

Tier 2: Toronto, Islanders, - teams who've won cups way in the past but have been managed bad since, even if they've had good teams.

tier 3: Florida, Columbus, San Jose, Phoenix, -newer teams who've either sucked for the past decade or barely seen playoffs, or who've been discredited or otherwise made fun of and thought of wasted potential.

A special mention of Quebec, losing your team and the first year after losing it to Colorado they win the cup, big ole smack in the face.

zeropotentate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:58 PM
JS19
Four Kicks

Quote:

I don't think you understand how much crazy depth that team had...

As for suffering teams, no one deserves to suffer the way Buffalo did in the Cup Finals, nor do they deserve to have inept management the way Columbus has since their inception.

JS19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 01:04 PM
Dylbot

It's got to be the fans of teams that have recently, or continue to threaten to move elsewhere.

For successful financial teams there's always next year, even when you lose for years (LEAFS). Nothing would feel worse than losing the franchise.

Dylbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 01:09 PM
Haj
#CatsAreComing

If you're going to break suffering down into tiers you could do it by length of type or the type of suffering:

Example: Florida Panthers, bad for 11 of the past 12 years, fear of being irrelevant

Example2: Buffalo: Made the cup, lost in game 7 on a goal review. Suffering because of bad puck luck

so and so forth

The point is all hockey fans are crazy. The sky is always falling. Even if your record is 97-0, up 3-0 in the Stanley Cup Final you are stilling going crazy wondering the other team is going to sweep you because your 4 line enforcer sprained this wrist in Game 3, while beating the other team senseless.

Maybe the most suffering team is the Canadiens, because expectations are ridiculous in Montreal.

Haj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 01:10 PM
Shinsuke Nakamura
King of Strong Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Leaf fans by far.
The thread title says UNdeserving.

Columbus.

Shinsuke Nakamura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 01:10 PM
NastyNick

Toronto for me.

Extremely high prices
Very bad team
Terrible management trading away high draft picks

The Islander's situation is similar, but i feel like they are closer. Tavares is a bonafide star to watch. And the fanbase is smaller - less suffering.

NastyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 01:18 PM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

American Teams

Buffalo, St. Louis, Columbus, Minnesota

Canadian Teams

Toronto, Vancouver

Fire Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 01:34 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyutinMyOwnHorn View Post
The thread title says UNdeserving.
That's correct it does.

Pyrophorus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 01:49 PM
Psychoil

U know the lockout is over when this thread blows up with fights.

Sorry someone forgot to tell me Edmonton purposely tanked. I didn't know all you guys worked for the oilers!

Psychoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 01:55 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 526
Buffalo.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:02 PM
couture23
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Buffalo, Toronto, and Minnesota.

Huge hockey markets, all want a Stanley Cup (first for BUF and MIN), but Leaf fans have suffered far too long now.

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:05 PM
JVR21
G

vCash: 50
Quote:

Everything's right except the bolded.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:08 PM
PRMan

Not gonna read it all, but I'm going to say St. Louis. They've had great owners, great GMs, great coaches, great players and even made the playoffs for like 25 years straight. And STILL, nothing to show for it. That sucks.

My Kings, by comparison (until AEG), had lousy owners, lousy GMs, lousy to OK coaches and usually a couple superstars surrounded by a very weak cast and we finally corrected all that and won the Cup.

PRMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:12 PM
habs_24x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
And what about since they last won the cup. There had yet to be a man on the moon yet. Hard to believe that happened more recently then the Leafs last Cup win.
Its good to know the Leafs have never won a Cup in my lifetime.

my vote goes to Vancouver. Good team and fanbase.

habs_24x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:20 PM
McTankel

Buffalo easily compounded by there football team. 86 years of no championships 2 cups 4 superbowls 0-6.

Haven't seen the Bills make playoffs since 1999.

McTankel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:20 PM
Schenn
In Rod We Trust

vCash: 816
Last time the leafs were in the playoffs, i was 10.
last time the leafs won the cup, my father was 3.

I can't afford to go to a leaf game because i am in college.

How does anyone have it worse than a leaf fan?

Schenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:27 PM
Shinsuke Nakamura
King of Strong Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrophorus View Post
That's correct it does.
Some HF Leaf fans like RogerRoeper do nothing to help make me believe that the Leafs fanbase doesn't deserve what they get.

Islanders are another that don't deserve it.

Shinsuke Nakamura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:28 PM
Dirtydownshift

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRMan View Post
Not gonna read it all, but I'm going to say St. Louis. They've had great owners, great GMs, great coaches, great players and even made the playoffs for like 25 years straight. And STILL, nothing to show for it. That sucks.
What are "Great GMs", "Great Coaches" and "Great Players" and "Playoffs"?

Sincerely,

Blue Jacket Fan

Dirtydownshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:29 PM
McTankel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schenn View Post
Last time the leafs were in the playoffs, i was 10.
last time the leafs won the cup, my father was 3.

I can't afford to go to a leaf game because i am in college.

How does anyone have it worse than a leaf fan?
Yeah so bad to have 11 Stanleys...I'd give anything to have just one.

McTankel is online now   Reply With Quote