HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

The most undeservedly suffering fan base?

Old
01-27-2013, 10:47 PM
Corey Perry*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman91 View Post
Why Columbus? They've only been around since 2000...
I wouldn't say they have it the worst, but they've had 12 years go bye with pretty much nothing exciting happen, besides one playoff series where they got swept.

Corey Perry* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:51 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Well then what I'm failing to grasp is why Edmonton fans are suffering more than Columbus fans. It hasn't been a full decade since the Oil were in the cup final. The memory is still fresh. They've been the given the hope of a much brighter future with a great scouting job on Eberle, 3 first overall slam dunks, and Justin Schultz not being able to bring himself to play for the team who drafted him.
Columbus made the playoffs more recently than the Oilers. Only 4 yrs removed from a playoff spot.

Quote:
Let's take a look at Columbus fans. Lost the face of their franchise. Repeated failures at the draft. Lost their all star game. And the biggest thing they can be proud of in their history is having MADE the playoffs. And even that isn't a good thing to brag about as they were swept clean. Their fans have been waiting patiently for their time to come. The oilers fan base at some point got to cheer for the greatest team this league has ever seen. And if they weren't around for it at least they can boast about that legacy. Columbus has NO legacy to speak of and they still stay loyal. How any fan base can claim to have suffered more is absolutely beyond me.
Edmonton losing Chris Pronger is far more devastating than Columbus losing Rick Nash. Pronger was a superstar player in his prime and demanded a trade immediately after losing game 7 of the cup finals. It was already a sinking ship with or without Rick Nash for CBJ, but losing Pronger literally devastated that franchise into a state of embarrassment. There has to be very few things in hockey more devastating than that to a fanbase. Not to mention, their whole roster was essentially gutted after that fluke cup run. That curse of a trade has led Edmonton to one of the worst stretches in NHL history with 7 yrs out of the playoffs and picking last for 3 consecutive years. With how badly their roster is constructed, I'd be shocked if they aren't challenging for #1 again.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:53 PM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
Islanders

bigplay41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:53 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoShowWilly View Post
if your team has won a cup in the last 40 years you haven't suffered enough.
I so agree with this.

People saying Columbus, Atlanta, Phoenix...

Try being a Canuck fan and being to the finals three times and having nothing to show for it. Try being a Leaf fan and living the game for over forty years and not having a Cup. Try being a Sabres fan and losing the Cup on an illegal goal (it was, don't start). Try being a Blues fan, almost losing your team, and having your most famous finals highlight being "The Goal" scored against you by Bobby Orr.

No offense to Columbus, but you have a minor bruise wound and these guys have missing limbs.

fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:00 PM
That Habs Fan
True Contenders.

vCash: 400
Toronto.

And I'm a Habs fan, granted I was born and raised in Toronto (still here).

Say what you will about the fans, they are very passionate and dedicated, they deserve to at least compete for the playoffs.

That Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:04 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Yes

Buffalo
St louis

No

Vancouver- you light your city on fire you don't deserve anything
Toronto- Pathetic representation of the most die hard fans in hockey since expansion.
Islanders- That is what you get for hiring milbury

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:11 PM
UnrefinedCrude

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
That was Harrold Ballard. He screwed the Leaf fans more than anyone. So you're holding it against the organization and fanbase what a convicted criminal did 40+ years ago?

Again, children were molested in the gardens and a lot of it falls on Ballard. That trumps everything. He was pure evil.
Actually, the molestations, and his regimes dealing with it really do trump everything else.

Like I said, I don't hold the fanbase responsible. It was the organization.

I know it's semantics to say i don't think the fans deserve to suffer through the down times, but the organization does (even though it has changed hands, it's still the Leafs,) because I know that if the organization bottoms out, the fans do suffer. but I still hold the grudge against the team for trying to prevent me from having a local team to cheer for. For me trying to block hockey from my market is an unforgivable hockey offense. the fans suffering through bad play is acceptable collateral damage to my grudge.

Obviously this is nothing compared to the suffering of the sexual assault victims at the Gardens. But that is a level and scope beyond any kind of hockey grudge, which should only affect our entertainment, and not the real world.

It's like when I say I hate Toronto. I just mean I love cheering against the Leafs. I have nothing but good things to say about the city itself and its people from my couple of visits there.

UnrefinedCrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:14 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Columbus AINEC.

Buffalo 2nd.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:18 PM
Reed Solomon
GO ✈'s GO

I have to give it to Vancouver. To come so close so many times and not have a cup to their name is sad.

I would not say Toronto is undeservedly suffering. There is a certain amount of karmic redistribution with regards to Toronto and there are too many Toronto fans who act like their team is somehow headed to the cup despite all evidence to the contrary. The team does seem to be showing improvement, but they're probably due for another year or two of suffering.

I don't think we in Winnipeg are really suffering. We lost the original team to Phoenix, we took that to heart and eventually got a team back. We have a great ownership group, great staff and coaching and AHL affiliate, and a very exciting team with a lot of potential barring perhaps a couple missing pieces. The next 5-7 years are going to be constant improvement. No suffering here at all. Plus we won a couple AVCO cups in the WHA so we have that at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Vancouver- you light your city on fire you don't deserve anything
Honestly there are so many years of frustration in Vancouver I'm surprised it wasn't a mass suicide.

Reed Solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:19 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Columbus made the playoffs more recently than the Oilers. Only 4 yrs removed from a playoff spot.

Edmonton losing Chris Pronger is far more devastating than Columbus losing Rick Nash. Pronger was a superstar player in his prime and demanded a trade immediately after losing game 7 of the cup finals. It was already a sinking ship with or without Rick Nash for CBJ, but losing Pronger literally devastated that franchise into a state of embarrassment. There has to be very few things in hockey more devastating than that to a fanbase. Not to mention, their whole roster was essentially gutted after that fluke cup run. That curse of a trade has led Edmonton to one of the worst stretches in NHL history with 7 yrs out of the playoffs and picking last for 3 consecutive years. With how badly their roster is constructed, I'd be shocked if they aren't challenging for #1 again.
I remember making this the night of the draft lottery last year...never thought I'd have to post it again.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:19 PM
JonathanHuberdoh
Maybe.....next year?

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
What about all the **** Florida Panther fans take? We've been horrible for so long with only 1 year of decent play over the last decade+ and people still tried to take it away from us.

Not to mention how we should have moved to the crap hole that is Hamilton, Ontario 12 years ago.

So now you're telling me we DESERVE this kind of treatment? If any fan of any team in this league has it bad, its us. Even Columbus had Rick Nash and Buffalo has had success and quality players.

JonathanHuberdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:20 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ( ͡ ᴥ͡)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
I remember making this the night of the draft lottery last year...never thought I'd have to post it again.

love it

Richer's Ghost made my avatar
Nuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:23 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanHuberdoh View Post
What about all the **** Florida Panther fans take? We've been horrible for so long with only 1 year of decent play over the last decade+ and people still tried to take it away from us.

Not to mention how we should have moved to the crap hole that is Hamilton, Ontario 12 years ago.

So now you're telling me we DESERVE this kind of treatment? If any fan of any team in this league has it bad, its us. Even Columbus had Rick Nash and Buffalo has had success and quality players.
Yes, but Florida also has an SCF appearance.

I maintain that any fan base who gets to hear the nonstop "you don't deserve a team" in addition to sustained mediocrity on the ice has it worse than those who simply flounder for years at a time. To hear nonstop, from other fans and from the hockey media like, that your team simply not existing is better than anything else imaginable, is reprehensible.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:26 PM
Noob616

It's gotta be Columbus and Toronto. As was mentioned before, the Leafs haven't made the playoffs since 2004. That's 9 years without a playoff appearance. Think about how much in your life has changed in 9 years. Think about how 5 years ago, Burke was going to turn the team around quick and wasn't going to do a "5 year rebuild", and now where are they 5 years later...

As for Columbus, there's just not much to say. I applaud any Columbus fan for sticking with the team, most people would have jumped ship by now.

Noob616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:26 PM
NewFang

I have a hard time choosing Columbus because they don't have many fans and most probably don't care or "suffer".

I would say the most suffering is in Toronto.

NewFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:29 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Any answer other than Toronto is a lie.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:29 PM
hossua34
Mutt

Send a message via AIM to hossua34 Send a message via Yahoo to hossua34
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFang View Post
I have a hard time choosing Columbus because they don't have many fans and most probably don't care or "suffer".

I would say the most suffering is in Toronto.
Columbus fans don't care or suffer. I assume because they're not Canadian and don't "live the game". Well that's some arrogant BS, but you're free to your own incorrect opinion.

Allow me to add THAT mentality to the reasons that Columbus is, at the very least, a contender for this title.

Oh yeah, having a 12-year-old fan killed in your arena by a deflected puck is a bit of a downer, too.

hossua34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:31 PM
JonathanHuberdoh
Maybe.....next year?

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob616 View Post
It's gotta be Columbus and Toronto. As was mentioned before, the Leafs haven't made the playoffs since 2004. That's 9 years without a playoff appearance. Think about how much in your life has changed in 9 years. Think about how 5 years ago, Burke was going to turn the team around quick and wasn't going to do a "5 year rebuild", and now where are they 5 years later...

As for Columbus, there's just not much to say. I applaud any Columbus fan for sticking with the team, most people would have jumped ship by now.
Go 15 years without winning a playoff game, then talk to me. At least Columbus is a city that's "allowed to have a team".

The Leafs were also very good in the early 2000's and people seem to forget this. They put up a couple 100+ point seasons and had 2 ECF visits (if I remember correctly).

The fact that Florida is basically non-existent in this thread further hammers home my point. People don't even remember us.

JonathanHuberdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:36 PM
RattsSSV
Loyal to the Oil

vCash: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Any answer other than Toronto is a lie.

RattsSSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TheeNorthStar

Minnesota
Buffalo
Toronto

TheeNorthStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
UnrefinedCrude

Ottawa probably deserves a mention, because nobody deserves their team inflicting an atrocity like this on them. though there was a lot of cheering mixed in with the boos, so maybe they do deserve to suffer.

UnrefinedCrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:37 PM
Brody

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiansbronco View Post
leafs fan deserve everything they get because we have to suffer listening to how great Bozak,kadri and their prospect are despite not making the playoffs in for ever and how they can get every superstar on the block around trade deadline time for their crappy prospect.

I dont get the AINEC close talk Olier, Jakets and Buffalo would be just as underserving...
We get excited about prospects and average players due to the fact that we do not make the playoffs. The media is all around Toronto, we're the center of the hockey universe. Thats why you hear all these "rumors" or people taking advantage of Toronto fans and making up BS. Saying we deserve almost fifty years of failure is ridiculous.

Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BigBootsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrefinedCrude View Post
Ottawa probably deserves a mention, because nobody deserves their team inflicting an atrocity like this on them. though there was a lot of cheering mixed in with the boos, so maybe they do deserve to suffer.

Don't you dare make me watch that again.

BigBootsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
PrototypeX85

Buffalo

PrototypeX85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:38 PM
blue bleeder 24-7

St. Louis. Yes, my fan base, so I guess a homer pick, but here's why:

1) 25 or so straight years of post season without a Cup Finals appearance, despite the team capable of doing so.

2) Appeared in the Finals our first 3 years of existence, was swept in each series.

3) The Laurie sale that gutted this team in 04-05.

4) Oldest team without a Cup

5) Despite fan attendance almost always being high, the team is always on the verge of financial catastrophe, and probably about once every 10 years or so, the rumors start up about the team being sold and moving.

6) No consistent ownership that is committed to winning.

blue bleeder 24-7 is offline   Reply With Quote