HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Crosby back down to Earth?

Closed Thread

Old
01-28-2013, 12:11 AM
redwingsrock

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
Biggest Crosby fan in the universe here.

Crosby was heroic in his Cup run. Became the leader he was meant to be. Struggled in the finals when Zetterberg did a terric job containing him, but that left Malkin the opportunity to step up and prove himself, which he did.

Crosby was just okay at the Olympics, but stepped up at the right time, obviously.

I question whether or not you really saw any of these games.

PS - love the avatar.
I certainly did. I thought Crosby played well. I never said otherwise. But at no point during the playoffs did i think he was the best player in the world. Quit acting like i said he was some second class player. The guy could mature a great deal and thats not Crosby hate, thats the truth.

And yes i was more impressed with him in the olympics. At no point did i even trash Crosby. I know how many points he had and its irrelevant to what im saying.

Old
01-28-2013, 12:14 AM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Is this thread even remotely necessary when we are five games in after a lockout?

Old
01-28-2013, 12:20 AM
SillyRabbit
Trix Are For Kids

I still don't understand the argument bashing Crosby for the 2009 Stanley Cup Finals.

The Detroit Red Wings chose to play Zetterberg and Lidstrom on Crosby because they deemed him the biggest threat on the Penguins.

Subsequently, Malkin faced weaker defensive coverage and made them pay.

The fact that Malkin was lighting them up, and they still refused to assign Zetterberg and Lidstrom to him clearly indicates that they would rather shut down Crosby and force Malkin to beat them, than shut down Malkin and let Crosby roam free.

There's absolutely no question that had they focused on shutting down Malkin instead, Crosby would've dominated them just as Malkin did.

Despite this, Crosby still could've easily been given the Conn Smythe and no one would've protested.

So unless the posters on HF are smarter than Mike Babcock, who allowed himself to get burned by Malkin rather than take the defensive focus off of Crosby, I don't see how you can fault him.

Old
01-28-2013, 12:28 AM
redwingsrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyRabbit View Post
I still don't understand the argument bashing Crosby for the 2009 Stanley Cup Finals.

The Detroit Red Wings chose to play Zetterberg and Lidstrom on Crosby because they deemed him the biggest threat on the Penguins.

Subsequently, Malkin faced weaker defensive coverage and made them pay.

The fact that Malkin was lighting them up, and they still refused to assign Zetterberg and Lidstrom to him clearly indicates that they would rather shut down Crosby and force Malkin to beat them, than shut down Malkin and let Crosby roam free.

There's absolutely no question that had they focused on shutting down Malkin instead, Crosby would've dominated them just as Malkin did.

Despite this, Crosby still could've easily been given the Conn Smythe and no one would've protested.

So unless the posters on HF are smarter than Mike Babcock, who allowed himself to get burned by Malkin rather than take the defensive focus off of Crosby, I don't see how you can fault him.
I never even brought up the Red Wings. I said Crosbys talent with Callahans leadership, composure, and on ice professionalism would be the best hockey player in the world, and i think thats a fair comment.

Old
01-28-2013, 12:36 AM
Human
cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwingsrock View Post
I never even brought up the Red Wings. I said Crosbys talent with Callahans leadership, composure, and on ice professionalism would be the best hockey player in the world, and i think thats a fair comment.
Crosby and Callahan don't belong in the same sentence when talking hockey. this should be obvious...

Old
01-28-2013, 12:42 AM
redwingsrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human View Post
Crosby and Callahan don't belong in the same sentence when talking hockey. this should be obvious...
Talent wise, i 1000% agree with you.

Old
01-28-2013, 12:47 AM
bambamcam4ever

Quote:
I certainly did. I thought Crosby played well. I never said otherwise. But at no point during the playoffs did i think he was the best player in the world. Quit acting like i said he was some second class player. The guy could mature a great deal and thats not Crosby hate, thats the truth.

And yes i was more impressed with him in the olympics. At no point did i even trash Crosby. I know how many points he had and its irrelevant to what im saying.
Who was then?

Old
01-28-2013, 12:48 AM
Bure

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambamcam4ever View Post
Who was then?
Malkin?

Old
01-28-2013, 12:49 AM
Human
cynic

Quote:
Talent wise, i 1000% agree with you.
everything hockey wise. Callahan is a glorified second liner, heart and soul guy, who happens to play for the Rangers, so he automatically gets free publicity for that. he has a season high 54 pts in 76 games... give me a break...

Old
01-28-2013, 12:55 AM
redwingsrock

Quote:
everything hockey wise. Callahan is a glorified second liner, heart and soul guy, who happens to play for the Rangers, so he automatically gets free publicity for that. he has a season high 54 pts in 76 games... give me a break...
Which is kind of my point........

Anyway, malkin obviously won mvp, but Toews impressed me a great deal that year in the playoffs. Him and Franzen, but Franzen is kind of a bigger child than Crosby, hahaha

Old
01-28-2013, 12:58 AM
Parise9Crosby87

i don't think he at his best yet but he kunitz and dupper have been pretty bad this year

Old
01-28-2013, 01:01 AM
Human
cynic

Quote:
Which is kind of my point........

Anyway, malkin obviously won mvp, but Toews impressed me a great deal that year in the playoffs. Him and Franzen, but Franzen is kind of a bigger child than Crosby, hahaha
which kind of blinded you from seeing the bigger picture. there are plenty of heart and soul 50 pts guys in the league, it just happens that Callahan is playing for the Rangers.

and btw, if we're talking about heart and soul, Crosby is the best grinder in the league...

edit: this Crosby guy must be pretty good if he is sucking while putting up a PPG. this kind of reminds me of 2009, when he had an "off-season" scoring "only" 103 pts...

Last edited by Human: 01-28-2013 at 01:06 AM.
Old
01-28-2013, 01:05 AM
CanadienShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Mind View Post
Crosby is so overrated.. He's the second-best player on his own team and a top 5 player in the NHL tho.
Alright, Mr. "Hockey Mind"...

Easily #1 if he's healthy, if not, he's a very close 2nd to Malkin.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:07 AM
hockeyGod

It's not he's a slow starter it's that his linemates are.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:13 AM
redwingsrock

Quote:
which kind of blinded you from seeing the bigger picture. there are plenty of heart and soul 50 pts guys in the league, it just happens that Callahan is playing for the Rangers.

and btw, if we're talking about heart and soul, Crosby is the best grinder in the league...
I'm not even a rangers fan. I went into a 5 month depression when they beat the caps. I'm not saying Crosby is a heartless bum who relies solely on his talent because you cant succeed at the nhl level by doing so. What i am saying is that Crosby could learn a thing or two about handling himself on the ice from Callahan (and some other guys). Crosby doesn't keep his cool under adverse situations and to me that is a big quality to have if you're being called the best player in the world. The Flyers series last season amplified it, and while Crosby has always performed (including in that series, which i think he played well overall), but he lacks maturity which makes it hard for me to call him the best in the world. Maybe its his age, maybe its not. I understand why you might think its a ridiculous, blinded opinion because Crosby is upper tier talent, but i stand by my assessment.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:21 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

I think this might be the year when people finally realize Evgeni Malkin is the best player in the world.
Not Sid, not Ovechkin (especially after the 2 year drop off), but Malkin.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:34 AM
Human
cynic

Quote:
I'm not even a rangers fan. I went into a 5 month depression when they beat the caps. I'm not saying Crosby is a heartless bum who relies solely on his talent because you cant succeed at the nhl level by doing so. What i am saying is that Crosby could learn a thing or two about handling himself on the ice from Callahan (and some other guys). Crosby doesn't keep his cool under adverse situations and to me that is a big quality to have if you're being called the best player in the world. The Flyers series last season amplified it, and while Crosby has always performed (including in that series, which i think he played well overall), but he lacks maturity which makes it hard for me to call him the best in the world. Maybe its his age, maybe its not. I understand why you might think its a ridiculous, blinded opinion because Crosby is upper tier talent, but i stand by my assessment.
well, no **** you're not a Rangers fan...

I don't necessarily disagree that Crosby is a hot head sometimes, but let me ask you, where did Callahan coolness got him? he had a pretty sound surrounding cast last season, I would argue even better than what Crosby had back in 2009, and he led it to... nowhere. let's put things in perspective here for a little bit when we compare Crosby and Callahan... a half assed Crosby(at least according to HFB) puts up 100 pts in this league. if a guy like Callahan, hell even Datsyuk, puts up 100 pts in a season, he's automatically considered god in here.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:48 AM
solitary

Yes, he is done and Marleau is the best player in the game.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:53 AM
nowhereman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litework View Post
A lot this seems like conjecture and hyberbole to me. Ovechkin was right there with Crosby up until the end of the 2010 season. He sure as hell wasnt "1B" at his best unless you were a hater. Crosby is a complete player in that sense that for a superstar he's respectable/solid defensively. Ive seen him float on the backcheck just like every star fowrard does from time to time. Winning faceoffs is a center's job it isnt a great indicator of someone's defensive awareness unless you are comparing him to another center.

And Crosby does play for an offensive-only team. So the point about him putting more points in another system is completely off base.
Uh, calling a player 1B is still saying they're the best player in the world, only that there's another player who's just as good. If that means I'm a "hater", then I'm a hater.

Crosby is so much better than OV, defensively speaking, that it's not even worth discussing. The fact that Crosby took over 300 faceoffs in the playoffs would indicates that Bylsma is comfortable putting him in every single situation (offensive and defensive zone faceoffs). And the Penguins' system is a lot different than the Capitals' old system. It's not offense-only.

Old
01-28-2013, 02:04 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
What makes you think Crosby doesn't have those leadership qualities? People that don't know what kind of Captain or person he is away from the team are people that casually view the Pens and mostly see the negativity here from rival teams fans and let it jade their opinion.

And there is nothing wrong with your Captain getting fired up, having a passive Captain that plays a gritty game is nice, but Crosby does play a gritty game when you actually watch him play, he's always initiating contact, he's not shying away from anyone. He leads by example, speaks up when he needs to and then took a front seat to the CBA talks, where was Callahan in that situation?

Say what you will about Crosby, but you're targeting specific moments in his career where he lost his cool, against a rival team being one. His actions didn't lead to his team's demise, other things factored in, largely.

Old
01-28-2013, 02:06 AM
redwingsrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by solitary View Post
Yes, he is done and Marleau is the best player in the game.
I see your point. Im not trying to Callahan the best player in the world by any means. I think the reason why it would be different if a guy like Datsyuk put up 100 pts opposed to 120 like Crosby is because Datsyuk isnt necessarily always focused on the offensive side of the game. I hate the argument that Crosby is one dimensional because he is a decent defensive forward, but at the end of the day, his game is to put up points...I dont think thats Datsyuk's main role.

Regardless of my feelings on Crosby as a player, I do recognize he is a great talent, and im fairly certain he will have a solid season, and personally wouldnt even consider his start "slow" being only 5 games in. Which i think i said something similar in my first post hahahaha.

Edit....meant to quote post above this.

Old
01-28-2013, 02:14 AM
redwingsrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
What makes you think Crosby doesn't have those leadership qualities? People that don't know what kind of Captain or person he is away from the team are people that casually view the Pens and mostly see the negativity here from rival teams fans and let it jade their opinion.

And there is nothing wrong with your Captain getting fired up, having a passive Captain that plays a gritty game is nice, but Crosby does play a gritty game when you actually watch him play, he's always initiating contact, he's not shying away from anyone. He leads by example, speaks up when he needs to and then took a front seat to the CBA talks, where was Callahan in that situation?

Say what you will about Crosby, but you're targeting specific moments in his career where he lost his cool, against a rival team being one. His actions didn't lead to his team's demise, other things factored in, largely.
I think he handles himself very well in the media, not so well on the ice....and i have seen a fair amount of penguins games since the Jagr days. I am very much neutral to the team, and have no hate for Crosby.

Old
01-28-2013, 03:09 AM
Pancakes

Quote:
I think he handles himself very well in the media, not so well on the ice....and i have seen a fair amount of penguins games since the Jagr days. I am very much neutral to the team, and have no hate for Crosby.
Crosby can lose his temper on the ice sometimes, for sure. He practices and plays very hard, and leads on the ice with his play. I dunno what more you could ask of a captain, really.

Good leaders don't have to be classy clean players. The greatest captain of them all, Mark Messier, was a dirty classless piece of crap on the ice. That didn't make him a bad leader, though.

Old
01-28-2013, 03:14 AM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
One of the best players in the game but he hasnt been the best for quite some years.

Also hasnt he been a slow starter for the last few years

Old
01-28-2013, 04:13 AM
Saku11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
He was not awful, he simply did not look like the 100+ point player he is. .
No he was simply worse at the start of that year than he is now and thats a fact.Always a aslow starter. Crosby :One the most underrated players in the game ever as proven by this thread.

Closed Thread