HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kessel ill-suited as Leafs’ frontman ... Leaf must keep 1st.

Closed Thread

Old
01-28-2013, 12:22 AM
maplehawk
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
can't say i disagree with any of this.

Old
01-28-2013, 12:50 AM
HellasLEAF
Komarov has cometh..

well, if your gonna trade him, we get a lot more back in return if you move him at this deadline with another year on his contract. As opposed to next season when he's unrestricted.

Personally I want him re-signed but that's just me.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:17 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
It's like he reads the boards and use what the trolls come up with as material. Troll material. Good job.

01-28-2013, 01:24 AM
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED

Yup. Trade him and we get two valuable pieces. Not a fan of kessel, btw.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:46 AM
Flowzak
I saw, I conquered.

Quite honestly, he's not completely wrong. He shouldn't be the face of any franchise. This much is certain; he's essentially the ultimate complementary piece that any Cup contender should die to have, but he won't be the one you build a team around. It shouldn't be completely out of the question to trade him if contract talks don't work out.

Old
01-28-2013, 02:07 AM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Can someone clarify something here for us all?

Doesn't Kessel have a limited NMC/NTC that kicks in July 1st 2013? If that is the case, isn't it possible for him to veto any trade made for him in his final year of his contract and walk as a UFA?

Can someone from Leaf Nation clarify this because that would have a huge impact on his value this trade deadline if it looked like he was going to be asking for 7.0 million or looking to test the market.

Old
01-28-2013, 04:48 AM
bonjovi0308

Send a message via ICQ to bonjovi0308
Play kadri with pk and see if they could develop chemistry

Old
01-28-2013, 05:04 AM
hockeywiz542

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Parker View Post
Can someone clarify something here for us all?

Doesn't Kessel have a limited NMC/NTC that kicks in July 1st 2013? If that is the case, isn't it possible for him to veto any trade made for him in his final year of his contract and walk as a UFA?

Can someone from Leaf Nation clarify this because that would have a huge impact on his value this trade deadline if it looked like he was going to be asking for 7.0 million or looking to test the market.
http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...on-phil-kessel

Quote:
He’s not to blame for the shocking state of this hockey club. No single player is. If there weren’t terms on contracts and a salary cap in place, the Leafs could just carry on with him indefinitely.

But the money matters complicate things. Kessel has two more seasons left on his current contract, after which he becomes an unrestricted free agent. So the clock is already ticking on the next commitment that will have to be made to him if he’s to remain a Leaf beyond his 26th birthday.

His cap hit is $5.4 million (all figures U.S.), but he was actually paid $6 million this season. Next year, the actual cash payment drops to $5.1 million, and then back up to $5.4 million in the final year of the deal. The contract is unencumbered by any movement restrictions until 2013-14, when a limited no-trade/no movement clause kicks in and trading him becomes more complicated.

Old
01-28-2013, 05:10 AM
hockeywiz542

Canadian Press: Leafs acquire Phil Kessel from Bruins (September 18, 2009)

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=499052

Quote:
"Bringing Phil Kessel aboard, it's a statement to our players that we intend to be competitive right away, and I think he gives us a dimension that we need," said Burke.

"(Kessel) told me he's walking on air. This is a free agent that could have signed with other teams, he wanted to sign with us, and I think it's an important pick up for us."

The 21-year-old forward, who's entry-level deal expired after last season, failed to negotiate an contract extension in the off-season with the Bruins, who are right up against the $56.8-million salary cap.

Boston picked Kessel fifth overall in the 2006 draft. Kessel had shoulder surgery over the summer and won't be ready to play until at least November.

The move represents Burke's first serious play at ending the Leaf's four-season playoff drought. Toronto's GM had been mostly content to stock up on draft picks and defenceman in the off-season with little done to bolster the Leafs' thin offence.

While giving up three high picks was a big price to pay for Kessel's negotiating rights, the Leafs also have several promising rookies in Tyler Bozak, Viktor Stalberg, Nazem Kadri and Christian Hanson, all of whom have scored during in the team's first two pre-season games.

"It's a very high price but it's one we feel makes sense for us and I think what's made it possible to expend those picks is two focuses: one is that he's a young player, he's not even 22 yet," Burke said.

"And second, we think with some of the players we acquired without giving up picks like Tyler Bozak, (left-wing Robert) Slaney, Hanson, (goaltender Jonas) Gustavsson, these are players that were they available on the draft would command a high price like that.

"So we feel by stocking the cupboard we can take some of the cans off the shelf for the future."

Old
01-28-2013, 05:45 AM
thecatch22

Fail:

"And second, we think with some of the players we acquired without giving up picks like Tyler Bozak, (left-wing Robert) Slaney, Hanson, (goaltender Jonas) Gustavsson, these are players that were they available on the draft would command a high price like that."

Old
01-28-2013, 05:58 AM
hockeywiz542

The Canadian Press: New Leaf Phil Kessel meets Toronto media (September 19, 2009)

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...-toronto-media

Leafs general manager Brian Burke and his latest recruit, former Bruin Phil Kessel, meet media at the Air Canada Centre on Sept. 19, 2009.

Quote:
Phil Kessel is excited about playing hockey-mad Toronto.

The 21-year-old forward met the media for the first time Saturday, a day after being acquired by the Maple Leafs for three draft picks.

"Toronto is the best hockey city in the world, the fans are great and the Leafs are a first-class organization," said Kessel during a press conference at Air Canada Centre prior to Toronto's pre-season game with the Philadelphia Flyers.

"They just know their hockey here in Toronto. I want to be a part of it and be a part of this organization."

The Leafs sent their first-round picks in 2010 and 2011, plus a second-round pick in 2010 to the Bruins after Boston was unable to re-sign the speedy winger. After the trade, Kessel signed a $27-million (U.S.), five-year contract with Toronto.

"Obviously there's going to be pressure, but I'm going to work as hard as I can and try to help get this team into the playoffs," said Kessel, who scored 36 goals in 70 games last season. "I want to be considered a great player in this league, and I'm going to work as hard as I can. I'm here to help this team win."
Quote:
Leafs GM Brian Burke added the Leafs have high hopes for their new sniper.

"We look at the 36 goals he scored last year as a platform to what he can accomplish, not a peak," Burke said. "The way we play, it's like someone wrote a script that this is the team he'd want to be on."

Old
01-28-2013, 06:42 AM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Leafs must keep first pick, deal Phil Kessel.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/...hil-kessel-cox

Quote:
There will be no trading away the first-rounder in an attempt to make the present more palatable.

The Leafs seemed to have learned — finally — that blue-chip youngsters are not to be rushed. Similarly, surely they have learned through Tom Kurvers, the return of Wendel, Owen Nolan, Andrew Raycroft and Phil Kessel that the very definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and forecasting a different result.

At least when Kessel was acquired it could be imagined that one day he would be an untouchable. But it hasn’t happened, and worse, in the early days of the shortened 2012-13 season it appears he may be poised to struggle through his most difficult season in a Leaf uniform yet.

Old
01-28-2013, 06:57 AM
4evaBlue

Cox trolloling Leafs Nation once more to generate hits.

Old
01-28-2013, 07:02 AM
diceman934

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evaBlue View Post
Cox trolloling Leafs Nation once more to generate hits.
How is he trolling anyone......he is correct in his assessment. Kessel looks real unhappy and I do not think he will resign here. The longer we wait the less he is worth on the trade market. In my opinion Kessel will be looking for at least 8.5 per for 8 years from us or any team. A contract that would be an over payment as his value is at around the 6 million per.

Old
01-28-2013, 07:07 AM
TheProspector

Phil has 24 shots in 5 games. That pace would easily have him lead the league in shots last year (393 shots per 82 games) - the top last year was Malkin at 339.

Using his average 10.6% shot, he 'should' have 2 goals, he'd have 2G, 4P and be a +/- 0.

This team could be 4-1-0 if it held 2 goal leads in the past 2 games. The problem isn't the offense, or Phil Kessel. He didn't blow either game.

Old
01-28-2013, 07:07 AM
francis246

which player in the NHL would be happy about not scoring goals when thats what you get paid to do? I don't think this slump has anything to do with how he feels about the team. From everything I hear and see, he wants to be in Toronto. It's just a tough go right now, lots of players go through it, he isn't perfect.

Old
01-28-2013, 07:10 AM
SprDaVE

And it begins...

Brace yourselves; the stupid articles are coming.

Old
01-28-2013, 07:12 AM
bobbyflex

lol. i knew this article was coming. Cox is so predictable

Old
01-28-2013, 07:13 AM
Anthrax442

vCash: 551
Riiiiight -
1.deal Kessel at lowest value
2.?????
3.profit

Old
01-28-2013, 07:13 AM
Pyromaniac3

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
How is he trolling anyone......he is correct in his assessment. Kessel looks real unhappy and I do not think he will resign here. The longer we wait the less he is worth on the trade market. In my opinion Kessel will be looking for at least 8.5 per for 8 years from us or any team. A contract that would be an over payment as his value is at around the 6 million per.
Maybe it's because he is not doing what he is supposed to do, and has face the pressure from media to perform?

Also, it seems like Cox probably wrote this a year ago but due to Kessel's break out year, he couldn't. Now that he is struggling, it is perfect time to dump on him. Same thing happened with Burke and Wilson.

Old
01-28-2013, 07:15 AM
Erdinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDaVE View Post
And it begins...

Brace yourselves; the stupid articles are coming.
Cox is the worst. I don't want homerism from the media but this guy and his chum McCown are always stirring up the garbage and then say the fans are impatient.

Old
01-28-2013, 07:16 AM
NigelTufnel

I dont think he's wrong. If we could trade Kessel for a youngish leader type (think Dustin Brown or Mike Richards) and a first rounder, we should jump at that.

We would get somebody who can still put some goals in the net while bringing much more to the table in terms of intangibles. Plus we would get somebody to mentor and lead our young developing players (ie Kadri, Frattin, Gardiner, Rielly, etc)

Old
01-28-2013, 07:17 AM
Pierre Gotye

Kessel is an odd figure.

He has all the talent in the world.

Yet he seems to be his own offense.

He seems to need that #1 center, but at the same time can't play with just anyone.

Kessel would be a great addition to a competitive team, but unfortunately for him he's not te type of player you build around.

Burke made a gamble and a bold move in Kessel. The thinking was the Leafs wouldn't finish that low in the two consecutive seasons as Burke made trades and brought in veterans to surround Kessel with.

But it didn't work.

Burke seems to have that Kessel was a low risk, high reward player. But his personality isn't that.

Keeping Kessel at $7 million doesn't make sense. Just as letting him walk or trading him seems equally wasted.

Hard to decide what to do with him.

When Kessel is scoring goals there isn't a lot of reason of reason to be concerned. Even if he scores 2 goals and finishes -2 for the night.

But when he's not scoring he's an easy target for criticism and concern. He gets frustrated easily, and seems more disconnected.

Losing Lupul was a huge setback for him.

RC needs to re-try the Kulemin on Kessel's wing that worked in the past.

Old
01-28-2013, 07:17 AM
Michael Gary Scott
Toronto Maple Tron's

vCash: 50
And some people wonder why no one would want to play here.. Cause of peckerheads like this, writing disaster stories every time the Leafs lose a couple games. Kessel struggling? HES USELESS NEED TO TRADE, HES NOT HAPPY WONT RE-SIGN. Reimer has a bad game? USELESS WE NEED A TRUE #1. Leafs play bad? THEY NEED TO TRADE THEIR CORE FOR A SUPERSTAR PLAYER TO MAKE THE PLAYOFFS.

Its ridiculous. The media in this town is beyond ****ed. Damien Cox can piss right off. This is the last article I will ever read from him. Im so sick of his piss poor writing style and unoriginal article topics. Its the same mindless drivel over and over again. But people keep reading it. Why? Dont know but I wish it would stop. Enough of supporting these doom sayer media heads who know absolutely next to nothing about the game.

Old
01-28-2013, 07:21 AM
jimmycarter

here is the attention you so desperatly crave damien cox. enjoy it while it lasts.

Closed Thread