HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kessel ill-suited as Leafs’ frontman ... Leaf must keep 1st.

Closed Thread

Old
01-28-2013, 07:28 AM
diceman934
LINT must go!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelTufnel View Post
I dont think he's wrong. If we could trade Kessel for a youngish leader type (think Dustin Brown or Mike Richards) and a first rounder, we should jump at that.

We would get somebody who can still put some goals in the net while bringing much more to the table in terms of intangibles. Plus we would get somebody to mentor and lead our young developing players (ie Kadri, Frattin, Gardiner, Rielly, etc)
Why would we want this? It will only make us a better team. Or a player like Couts from the Flyers and a first......

Old
01-28-2013, 07:33 AM
s dubay

Deal Kessel uhmm yah why the hell would we do that. 3 30 goal years, and 5 games in this year ????????
Like seriously some people are idiots. ITS BEEN 5 GAMES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old
01-28-2013, 07:39 AM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Gary Scott View Post
And some people wonder why no one would want to play here.. Cause of peckerheads like this, writing disaster stories every time the Leafs lose a couple games. Kessel struggling? HES USELESS NEED TO TRADE, HES NOT HAPPY WONT RE-SIGN. Reimer has a bad game? USELESS WE NEED A TRUE #1. Leafs play bad? THEY NEED TO TRADE THEIR CORE FOR A SUPERSTAR PLAYER TO MAKE THE PLAYOFFS.

Its ridiculous. The media in this town is beyond ****ed. Damien Cox can piss right off. This is the last article I will ever read from him. Im so sick of his piss poor writing style and unoriginal article topics. Its the same mindless drivel over and over again. But people keep reading it. Why? Dont know but I wish it would stop. Enough of supporting these doom sayer media heads who know absolutely next to nothing about the game.
This post is tremendous. I came in to post something similar, and have nothing more to add.

Old
01-28-2013, 07:44 AM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Cox is such a ****ing troll.

On The Star website, on the top headlines, the article he wrote is titled "Maple Leafs deal Phil Kessel". I almost had a heart attack, then I click it and realize it's just his stupid article saying we should trade Kessel. Loser.

Old
01-28-2013, 07:46 AM
s dubay

Its not just the media its like 3/4 of the fans that say the same things . Where do you think the media gets there fodder from .....message boards,twitter,facebook ex.

Old
01-28-2013, 07:49 AM
diceman934
LINT must go!

Ok.....lets look at this from a different point of View:

Please tell me and others why should we Keep Kessel at a salary above 6.5 million or at all?

Old
01-28-2013, 07:50 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Cox:

Quote:
The kind of deal the Leafs should be looking for will be similar to that made by Columbus at last year’s deadline when Jeff Carter, then 27, was moved to the L.A. Kings for 25-year-old defenceman Jack Johnson and a first-round pick.
So something like:

Kessel for Duchene

Have Stastny and Kessel played together before? Not sure.

Kessel for Heatley and Granlund (Heatley NMC and probably wouldn't waive)

Haven't we heard about Parise and Kessel having some relationship?

Forsberg and Wilson? ... That would be a rebuild move.

Desjardins estimates that about 40% of the game is captured by Corsi analysis.

Babs - short for Barbara
Old
01-28-2013, 07:50 AM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by s dubay View Post
Its not just the media its like 3/4 of the fans that say the same things . Where do you think the media gets there fodder from .....message boards,twitter,facebook ex.
I believe its a vicious cycle, where each respective culprit get their crap from one another. Media minds look at the boards\twitter\other putrid garbage, less than bright fans establish their opinions by reading\listening to media minds. And the circle feeds itself, devoid of any rational thought or intelligence.

Old
01-28-2013, 07:53 AM
s dubay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Joe Quimby View Post
I believe its a vicious cycle, where each respective culprit get their crap from one another. Media minds look at the boards\twitter\other putrid garbage, less than bright fans establish their opinions by reading\listening to media minds. And the circle feeds itself, devoid of any rational thought or intelligence.
Agreed 100%

Old
01-28-2013, 07:55 AM
Michael Gary Scott
Toronto Maple Tron's

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Cox:

So something like:

Kessel for Duchene

Id do Kessel for Duchene tbh. Love Duchene.

Old
johnny_rudeboy

vCash: 50
At least I have been consistent. I wanted him traded even when he scored for fun. In fact, I did not want him here in the first place.

As I said many times, there was a reason he was ranked 1st but went 5th in his draft year. There is a reason he scored a lot of goals for the Bruins who was a contender but was despite that traded for picks, to a divisional rival. There is a reason he can score goals when we play run and gun and there is a reason he struggle once we play tougher teams and try to play a more solid team game.

I want a player who we invest a large part of our dollars in to be able to contribute in more then just one thing. I want him to be able to adept to different tactics and styles. I want him to be so much more then a streaky sniper.

When Burke made the trade to change direction I scratched my head. Kessel offered nothing of what he said his team should be like. Infact, Kessel have all the bad traits of the team Burke blow up, only more talent.

So trade Kessel and start over imo. It is the best thing we can do. And it is not because he have not scored in 5 games, that happens and is nothing to worry about.

Old
pspot

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
Ok.....lets look at this from a different point of View:

Please tell me and others why should we Keep Kessel at a salary above 6.5 million or at all?
if the Leafs had a #1 G, #1C, #1D you'd pay the premium on Kessel to be the final piece

sign him as the first piece and you may be in a situation like Buffalo with Vanek where you are overpaying to keep him there and wait to put the other pieces in place. They already had Miller and Myers coming around so maybe thats not a great example.

Old
01-28-2013, 07:57 AM
Phion Keneuf
Bang Bang

I'd do Kessel for Duchene. Or Kessel for RoR + 1st

Old
01-28-2013, 07:57 AM
s dubay

Kessel is not a franchise player .but he is a very important part of the future of this team . We need a pure sniper like Kessel . Hes like a Mogilny ,now we still need to find a Sundin.

Old
01-28-2013, 07:58 AM
johnny_rudeboy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Cox:

So something like:

Kessel for Duchene

Kessel for Johansson and Forsberg

Old
01-28-2013, 07:58 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Deal Kessel uhmm yah why the hell would we do that. 3 30 goal years, and 5 games in this year ????????
Like seriously some people are idiots. ITS BEEN 5 GAMES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
People have been saying to trade Kessel for a while, well before the start of this season. The slow start has nothing to do with it except for a select few.

Old
01-28-2013, 07:59 AM
diceman934
LINT must go!

Quote:
I support the idea of trading Kessel .....it has nothing to do with an article that I read....

I support it for many reason, but the main reason is.....he lacks the sack to play a mans game. He gives the puck away in the D zone when challenged and is a liability without the puck.

As far as intelligence goes....prove yours!

Old
01-28-2013, 08:02 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Cox is correct in that dealing Kessel and keeping this year's 1st. round pick is an option.

Another option is trying to land a 1st. line center with size this summer, and failing that moving Kessel.

I know everyone is dreaming about drafting that top 5 draft pick franchise center this summer, but ask yourself if Kessel looks like a happy camper playing Carlyle hockey? We can only speculate on that.

So Kessel is UFA end of next season and even if the Leafs landed Nathan MacK. this summer is he going to be enough at age 18 to encourage Kessel to put up with another year of rebuilding playing Carlyle hockey? I don't know maybe yes maybe no.

If the answer to above is no, you must deal Kessel. You cannot let him pull a Parise.

"Oh, he'll sign in Toronto. No Problem."

Why? What is so special about Toronto to Kessel? I think Burke was special about Toronto to Kessel.

I'm not sure I agree with Cox ... about the 1st. being untouchable. I know several players around the NHL I'd give up the 1st. overall for, but they do have to be available. Isn't Malkin UFA the same time Kessel is?

Old
01-28-2013, 08:02 AM
s dubay

Quote:
I support the idea of trading Kessel .....it has nothing to do with an article that I read....

I support it for many reason, but the main reason is.....he lacks the sack to play a mans game. He gives the puck away in the D zone when challenged and is a liability without the puck.

We can continue to build this team without trading away a 30+ /yr goal scorer who is still very young? Can we not? Whats the point of trading him hes not old or even into his prime yet LOL

Old
01-28-2013, 08:07 AM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:

How does trading Phil Kessel improve this franchise asset management wise? What exactly do you realistically think can be acquired by trading the 25 year old that can be considered a net gain? I am now intrigued and would like to know your opinion.

Old
01-28-2013, 08:07 AM
diceman934
LINT must go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspot View Post
if the Leafs had a #1 G, #1C, #1D you'd pay the premium on Kessel to be the final piece

sign him as the first piece and you may be in a situation like Buffalo with Vanek where you are overpaying to keep him there and wait to put the other pieces in place. They already had Miller and Myers coming around so maybe thats not a great example.
If we have the number one Center, D man and goalie it would not change the way Kessel plays.

Vanek is comparable offensively.....but he is a much better overall player.

Old
01-28-2013, 08:10 AM
diceman934
LINT must go!

Quote:
How does trading Phil Kessel improve this franchise asset management wise? What exactly do you realistically think can be acquired by trading the 25 year old that can be considered a net gain? I am now intrigued and would like to know your opinion.
I asked you to prove your intelligence.....as you accused everyone who does not agree with you as devoid of intelligence.....is this your proof?

Old
01-28-2013, 08:11 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
We can continue to build this team without trading away a 30+ /yr goal scorer who is still very young? Can we not? Whats the point of trading him hes not old or even into his prime yet LOL
- Because he's a UFA in 1.5 years and we don't want to lose him for nothing. Because that would literally mean in the longrun, we gave up Seguin, Hamilton, and Knight, for nothing
- Because EVEN if he wants to resign, he's going to want ~7M a year probably, which IMO he doesn't deserve. Given his style of play being one-dimensional, soft, not a leader, etc, I don't think he should even get 6M.
- Because we want to build a team that's built around team defence, a willingness to do anything to win, including taking a body check, etc.
- Because trading him likely gives us a higher draft pick this summer in a very deep draft + another 1st in a very deep draft. Could be comparable to the ~2008 draft but for forwards, definitely a year to stock up and build for the future

Anyways, there are plenty of reasons for and against trading him. I'm just trying to show you some of the legitimate arguments for why trading him would make sense.

Old
01-28-2013, 08:13 AM
The Mentalist
2016 Clayton Keller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
It's like he reads the boards and use what the trolls come up with as material. Troll material. Good job.
Please explain, did you actually read the article and why moving Kessel is a very realistic option?

Old
01-28-2013, 08:14 AM
Anthrax442

vCash: 905
I really don't think the Leafs will get the same return for Kessel as what we paid, I really don't see any bottom end teams giving us the picks or talent we need, and the teams that will finish in the playoffs hunt will not give us high enough picks.

I really don't see anything wrong with keeping Kessel.

Closed Thread