HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GAME #5 - Canucks 1, Sharks 4 - California Meltdown Edition

Closed Thread

Old
01-27-2013, 11:17 PM
Sergei Shirokov

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
I don't know if it was you, but I had a discussion with someone 2 games ago (I think) when our PP was struggling. I said that our PP being a disaster could be a blessing is disguise because it makes us have to improve our 5 on 5 play. It also forced AV, as well as the players, to change the PP which gives us more options in the future. A good PP becomes a predictable PP and one that can be shutdown. I we continue to rely on the PP for wins, then we will a very streaky team, because power plays are usually streaky for most teams and can disappear at any time as well as penalties can randomly be not called (playoffs).
I agree, the problem though is we never change the PP.

You said it forces us to change the PP and I absoluetly agree, the problem is AV never makes the changes, we have been using the drop pass for 2 years, and it just isn't what it once was. That's a perfect example.

We need change and the Coaching staff doesn't deliver.

Old
01-27-2013, 11:17 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesler is Bestler View Post
?? could you elaborate? I missed the first goal
Garrison possessed the puck for at least a 'steam boat' passed it onto Thornton's tape.

Pretty clearly an unassisted goal anywhere else but San Jose.

Old
01-27-2013, 11:18 PM
Astoria
KESLERKESLERKESLER

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolChamp View Post
anyone listening to 980 sportstalk? MAtt Kassian

who is this ******?
Nope, are you able to recap though?

Old
01-27-2013, 11:19 PM
Royal Canuck
HF's Bounty Hunter

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
Nope, are you able to recap though?
some guy got Zack Kassian mixed up with Matt Kassian?

is this a local sports radio? If so, the host should be fired.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
Xbox Live Gamertag: "CxC Canuck"
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Old
01-27-2013, 11:20 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Henrik Sedin on two turnover goals: "That cost us the game. The power play has to score (0-for-6). It wasn't good enough."
Yes, let's blame it on the two turnovers rather than you not showing up for the game. A good team should be able to score 2+ goals in 57 minutes.

Old
Kesler is Bestler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Garrison passed the puck to Thornton. There were no assists on it due to the change in possession.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
Garrison passed it right to Thornton, and Thornton scored. How there are two assists on that goal, is beyond me.
Oh I see lol.

Old
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck4life16 View Post
THE COACH IS NOT the problem.......player not doing anything
Explain how using the same PP strategy unsuccessfully for 2 years is the "players not doing anything"

Our team comes out flat all the time, in the biggest situations and we have seen it time and time and time again, and this team is too good to come out flat and choke like this, to me is goes back to coaching.

And AV continues to play players who are playing absolutely terrible (Bieksa) and never gives the better players the best minutes (Ballard and Tanev) Would be nice to see Ballard on the PP when it is as terrible as it is tonight, his skating ability could be a huge asset and he actually has good hockey IQ with making plays and joining the rush but AV continues to go back to the same thing that fails time and time again, it is like banging your head again a cement wall.

Old
01-27-2013, 11:22 PM
Moore Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Canuck View Post

he did.. he called him matt kassian 4 times within 1 min so it wasnt just a brain fart. now he jsut called the sedins sisters. this guy is so bad.

Old
01-27-2013, 11:23 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
- By far Vancouver's best pairing through five games has been the Chris Tanev, Keith Ballard pairing. On the one hand it's good that Ballard is having some success and that Tanev remains his usual, ho-hum, steady-as-**** self. On the other hand, it's kind of like how Dale Weise, Zack Kassian and Mason Raymond are Vancouver's three best forwards so far this season: cool, but also a testament to the fact that the principals look out of sync.

- Finally, Jordan Schroeder was Vancouver's best forward on Sunday night, taking three scoring chances and only missing out on his first goal by a fraction of an inch. He was out-matched in the faceoff circle however, and as a result of the glut of Vancouver penalties saw his ice-time drop well below fourteen minutes for the first time in his three NHL games.
http://canucksarmy.com/2013/1/27/can...nd-chance-data

Old
01-27-2013, 11:23 PM
aandbreatheme

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolChamp View Post
he did.. he called him matt kassian 4 times within 1 min so it wasnt just a brain fart. now he jsut called the sedins sisters. this guy is so bad.
That's just unprofessional. What a *********.

Old
01-27-2013, 11:24 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Yes, let's blame it on the two turnovers rather than you not showing up for the game. A good team should be able to score 2+ goals in 57 minutes.
Elite offensive teams are kept to 1 goal or less fairly often. When you hit 5 posts, it's not your night.

The weak start and ineffective PP killed the team. That's what henrik was saying.

Old
01-27-2013, 11:25 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Elite offensive teams are kept to 1 goal or less fairly often. When you hit 5 posts, it's not your night.

The weak start and ineffective PP killed the team. That's what henrik was saying.
Sedins managed 3 scoring chances all night despite the glut of PP and ES time. It was a horrible showing. They were completely outplayed by Jordan Schroeder and Mason Raymond.

Old
01-27-2013, 11:25 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Shirokov View Post
Explain how using the same PP strategy unsuccessfully for 2 years is the "players not doing anything"

Our team comes out flat all the time, in the biggest situations and we have seen it time and time and time again, and this team is too good to come out flat and choke like this, to me is goes back to coaching.

And AV continues to play players who are playing absolutely terrible (Bieksa) and never gives the better players the best minutes (Ballard and Tanev) Would be nice to see Ballard on the PP when it is as terrible as it is tonight, his skating ability could be a huge asset and he actually has good hockey IQ with making plays and joining the rush but AV continues to go back to the same thing that fails time and time again, it is like banging your head again a cement wall.
They have changed the PP strategy. They've got no RH point shot.

In zone it's already changed due to personnel.

Not sure what you want to happen. The Sedin's are this teams bread and butter, you can't trade them in for Cam Neely.

We've got one style in the zone. Unless you're talking about the entry...every team does that entry now. We don't have Karlsson or Bure to gain the line, we need that play to gain the zone.

IMO our PP is solely built on personnel.

Old
01-27-2013, 11:26 PM
Astoria
KESLERKESLERKESLER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Canuck View Post

LOL! Thanks! Just Googled 980 Sportstalk Vancouver, as a Canuck fan living in the US, I've only followed the Team 1040. I've thought about seeing if there was another sportstalk station to follow....I'm sticking with 1040 after hearing this. ; )

Old
01-27-2013, 11:26 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Shirokov View Post
I agree, the problem though is we never change the PP.

You said it forces us to change the PP and I absoluetly agree, the problem is AV never makes the changes, we have been using the drop pass for 2 years, and it just isn't what it once was. That's a perfect example.

We need change and the Coaching staff doesn't deliver.
unfortunately I agree, AV seems to have a reluctant to change his ways and if he can't do this than he needs to go. This could be good for us in the long run, because three things can happen imo- AV can change his ways and become a more adaptable coach, Gillis could realize that AV cannot become an adaptable coach and replace him, or AV can keep running our PP the same way with no concequences from management.

Our PP has been successful in past years, so AV never had to change it, and didn't have any options to goto because they were never necissary.

What I was thinking was similar to LA last year, their offense struggled, so they became a very good defensive team and when their offense kicked in they were unstoppable. If we could become a good 5 on 5 team to make up for our autrocious PP, we could have a well rounded offense.

Old
01-27-2013, 11:27 PM
ddawg1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post

I add Lappy's stupid penalty. I felt we'd been taking it to the Sharks in the second period up until his interference penalty.

Old
01-27-2013, 11:27 PM
Kesler is Bestler

Yeah gotta say Ballard looked really solid tonight. Pretty much everyone except our top players played well tonight. Hopefully they'll have their legs going tomorrow

Old
01-27-2013, 11:28 PM
jigsaw99

yeah Pinkeye Ballard is beast

Old
01-27-2013, 11:30 PM
Moore Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
LOL! Thanks! Just Googled 980 Sportstalk Vancouver, as a Canuck fan living in the US, I've only followed the Team 1040. I've thought about seeing if there was another sportstalk station to follow....I'm sticking with 1040 after hearing this. ; )
I'm only listening to 980 because I hate jeff patterson but even he is better than this goof. I really hate vancouver media heads.

edit: dave sheldon is his name..

Old
01-27-2013, 11:30 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
I've been pulling for Schroeder & paying attention to him in the AHL but he still is surprising me. His defensive game & hounding of the puck is great... then you add in the size factor. His compete level is awesome.

Old
01-27-2013, 11:31 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Sedins managed 3 scoring chances all night despite the glut of PP and ES time. It was a horrible showing. They were completely outplayed by Jordan Schroeder and Mason Raymond.
You will still lose over 90% of the games you play where you start down 2-0. Let alone against the best team in the NHL right now.

The Canucks stuck with it and continued to press to tie it. They just couldn't catch a break and had Max Lapierre take a stupid, unnecessary penalty that really hurt the team.

Your stars aren't going to play well every night. Unfortunately this team doesn't ever seem to win games when the twins are shut down.

Old
01-27-2013, 11:32 PM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
It frustrates the hell out of me that we have freakin' Alex Edler and Jason Garrison on our first unit PP and we are SO reluctant to set up one timers.

Just blast away, boys. Stop trying to be cute.

Old
01-27-2013, 11:32 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
They have changed the PP strategy. They've got no RH point shot.

In zone it's already changed due to personnel.

Not sure what you want to happen. The Sedin's are this teams bread and butter, you can't trade them in for Cam Neely.

We've got one style in the zone. Unless you're talking about the entry...every team does that entry now. We don't have Karlsson or Bure to gain the line, we need that play to gain the zone.

IMO our PP is solely built on personnel.
Our PP has great personally, we need to make some adjustments.

First off ditch the drop pass, in the LA series they picked us apart, and teams know it now. We need new strategies, which is why I suggested Schroeder on the point as he is one of the few players who has the speed and elusiveness to carry the puck into the zone.

And when we get into the zone we need to make more plays that revlolve around Garrison, the guy has a cannon and we haven't even attempted to utilize it at all.

Also we need more movement, the puck just goes to the half boards to Henrik, he stands around looking for an option and while he is there standign still, the other team takes away all the options and leave us with nothing, then they apply pressure and force a turnover.

Watch the Hawks PP, Watch Edmonton's PP, they do those things, they have alot of movement which opens up chances. the Key to beating a good PK is moving the puck around quickly and out manning the PKer, we don't do that.

Old
01-27-2013, 11:33 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigsaw99 View Post
yeah Pinkeye Ballard is beast
Kudos to whoever farted on Ballard's pillow. Really woke him up.

Tanev is a boss, but he needs to find a way to avoid oncoming foecheckers. If you can't get out of the way of Ryane Clowe, you can't avoid anyone. Still love him as a player though. He needs to play over 20:00 a night if the top 4 continues to fizzle.

Old
01-27-2013, 11:35 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
unfortunately I agree, AV seems to have a reluctant to change his ways and if he can't do this than he needs to go. This could be good for us in the long run, because three things can happen imo- AV can change his ways and become a more adaptable coach, Gillis could realize that AV cannot become an adaptable coach and replace him, or AV can keep running our PP the same way with no concequences from management.

Our PP has been successful in past years, so AV never had to change it, and didn't have any options to goto because they were never necissary.

What I was thinking was similar to LA last year, their offense struggled, so they became a very good defensive team and when their offense kicked in they were unstoppable. If we could become a good 5 on 5 team to make up for our autrocious PP, we could have a well rounded offense.
Yeah I agree, and that 3rd thing is what I fear, AV doesn't make necessary changes and he doesn't get our guys ready to play.

That was clearly exposed in the 1st round against LA as those were the reasons we lost.

I just can't see a cup if he continues this.

Closed Thread