HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GAME #5 - Canucks 1, Sharks 4 - California Meltdown Edition

Closed Thread

Old
01-28-2013, 12:36 AM
PG Canuck

vCash: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF23 View Post
It frustrates the hell out of me that we have freakin' Alex Edler and Jason Garrison on our first unit PP and we are SO reluctant to set up one timers.

Just blast away, boys. Stop trying to be cute.
I don't know, the boards behind the net would have a lot of black puck marks if we resorted to one timers. Seriously though, I'd like to see more one timers from Edler/Garrison and drive the net for the rebound. That's where we really miss Kesler IMO, he's usually the one whacking those rebounds home.

Garrison needs to hit the net, or not have his shot blocked, otherwise him on the PP right now is useless. His aim could use quite a bit of work from what I've seen so far.

Old
01-28-2013, 12:36 AM
CanadianPirate

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Yes, let's blame it on the two turnovers rather than you not showing up for the game. A good team should be able to score 2+ goals in 57 minutes.
Unless I am reading that quote wrong it sounds like he is accepting blame. At least for the powerplay.

Old
01-28-2013, 12:37 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Global Moderator
Kitimat Canuck

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
It's a credit to this guy - and somewhat amusing - that his input is far more credible as reliable than anything the Vancouver Sports Media has to say.

Old
01-28-2013, 12:37 AM
Pip
[hello] :)

Special teams are the one of the more coach-affected part of the game.

AV needs to take a hard look at what he's got, and work towards their strengths. You have two guys that are great on the half-boards and behind the net (Sedins). You have a cannon (Garrison) as well as a very good offensive defenseman in Edler. Now there's a few options, usually you have Kesler who can be a force in front of the net and can be a dangerous shooter in the slot/high slot, but with him out you need someone else. Kassian could work as the guy in front, but then we need guys that don't necissarily shoot hard, but get pucks through (this should be preached)

Old
01-28-2013, 12:39 AM
Sergei Shirokov

Yeah Ballard and Tanev have been great.

If Bieksa has yet another bad season I would look at trading him rather than trading or buying out Ballard.

I know people are going to flame but before you do actually think about it. Bieksa would get us alot more in return, and Ballard has been playing alot better than him.

Just think of the return some teams in need of defense might dish out for Bieksa, we could get one or 2 real nice pieces.

I wouldn't do it necessarily but if this continues (Ballard playing way better) I would really look long and hard at going in that direction.

Old
01-28-2013, 12:40 AM
LiquidSnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarpan View Post
I'd also say that I think both goalie get way too much criticism considering they're usually among our best (or at least better) players even when we lose, with occasional exceptions.
The ones that are coming to make comments on Schneids right now are mostly acting like jealous ex-gfs. pretty entertaining

Old
01-28-2013, 12:42 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Global Moderator
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Shirokov View Post

If Bieksa has yet another bad season I would look at trading him rather than trading or buying out Ballard.

I know people are going to flame but before you do actually think about it. Bieksa would get us alot more in return, and Ballard has been playing alot better than him.

Just think of the return some teams in need of defense might dish out for Bieksa, we could get one or 2 real nice pieces.

I wouldn't do it necessarily but if this continues (Ballard playing way better) I would really look long and hard at going in that direction.
Not a flame, but I disagree with the idea. Ballard has been solid for sure, but let's not put the cart before the horse here. Bieksa is a big part of this core, and at the moment is one of several critical players playing well below their usual level. I would say there is a better than even chance that Bieksa (and the others) get their act together, at which time he becomes a much more valuable part of the team than Ballard, even at Ballard's current level of play.

Old
01-28-2013, 12:42 AM
Pip

Quote:
Yeah I agree, and that 3rd thing is what I fear, AV doesn't make necessary changes and he doesn't get our guys ready to play.

That was clearly exposed in the 1st round against LA as those were the reasons we lost.

I just can't see a cup if he continues this.
AV needs to adapt, or Gillis should fire him. A bad PP is forgivable, but an inability to change things that aren't working is a terrible trait for a coach to have and should not be acceptable.

Old
01-28-2013, 12:43 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Not a flame, but I disagree with the idea. Ballard has been solid for sure, but let's not put the cart before the horse here. Bieksa is a big part of this core, and at the moment is one of several critical players playing well below their usual level. I would say there is a better than even chance that Bieksa (and the others) get their act together, at which time he becomes a much more valuable part of the team than Ballard, even at Ballard's current level of play.
Have to also consider that Bieksa is starting more in the defensive zone and facing other top lines. Ballard and Tanev have been very good but they're starting in the offensive zone most of the time and getting pretty easy minutes. I think arguing for keeping Ballard over Bieksa based on these few games is misguided. I also seriously doubt that Ballard could actually handle Bieksa's minutes, especially since he's not a RD.

Old
01-28-2013, 12:43 AM
PG Canuck

vCash: 53
Quote:

I'd like to see Ballard paired with someone other than Tanev before I'm making any drastic moves like trading Bieksa, which itself is crazy in my eyes. Trading Bieksa, or any defensemen right now would be a mistake because this is nothing new to our defense and especially our team to be playing like we are in the early stages of the season. There's a reason Bieksa is considered part of our core. I do agree, however, that we could likely get a nice return for Bieksa as his type of game is desired by a lot of teams. Philly comes to mind right away that would be calling MG.

Lets not make any drastic conclusions after four games.

Old
01-28-2013, 12:45 AM
MartinJonesForPrez

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolChamp View Post
and some people want Manny off this team.. he is clearly better than ebbett.
As a Sharks fan, I miss Malhotra. I was upset they traded him. He seemed like instant energy for is. Plus he was magic in the face off circle. He -is- clearly better than ebbet, imho.

Old
01-28-2013, 12:55 AM
Pip

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtylerjr View Post
As a Sharks fan, I miss Malhotra. I was upset they traded him. He seemed like instant energy for is. Plus he was magic in the face off circle. He -is- clearly better than ebbet, imho.
When Kesler is back, we won't have a need for Ebbett or Mahotra. I like Manny a lot, but he just hasn't been the same since the injury. He's too expensive for his role IMHO

When healthy
Sedin Sedin Kassian
Higgins Kesler Booth (showed chemistry in the past)
Raymond Schroeder Burrows (maybe swap him and Higgins or Hansen, or Kassian)
Hansen Lapierre Weise/Volpatti

for now Malhotra can be fine in a limited role, but I like more physicality on my fourth line.

Sedin Sedin Kassian
Raymond Schroeder Burrows
Hansen Higgins Hansen
Malhotra/Volpatti Lapierre Weiss

Last edited by Pip: 01-28-2013 at 12:55 AM. Reason: lol
Old
01-28-2013, 01:03 AM
Waveburner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
It's a credit to this guy - and somewhat amusing - that his input is far more credible as reliable than anything the Vancouver Sports Media has to say.
I agree with just about his entire summary except the part at the beginning where he said sub-par goaltending was an issue tonight. I don't think any goalie in the league stops any of those 4 goals.

Two direct passes onto the tape of Sharks forwards in the slot by Canuck D. A pinball-type puck that Schneider actually stopped but then it bounced off Marleau and trickled in. Then a one-timer from inside the faceoff dot that was post and in. To even suggest goaltending was an issue is absurd.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:03 AM
donutz0r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
Sorry so late, I just returned home from work (where I was able to catch bits of the game...thank goodness for DVR). Anyway in the third (late) they said something to the effect of " ..... this is why teams hate Vancouver...blah blah blah...nice city though...". I don't know, rubbed me the wrong way. I'm just now playing the DVR'ed game...maybe it wasn't so bad, but it initially ticked me off.... We'll see if it does once again.
Yeah, I'm not shocked to hear that. There are so many atrocious commentators that just feed into the media-created agendas, I'm not surprised that the Sharks' ones are following suit. Living in Dallas, I really lucked out with the guys calling the Stars games. It's refreshing to hear commentators that just call the games and give insight as to what's going on without taking cheap shots at the opposition. Oh well, can't have it all I guess.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:04 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

What we lack on our PP is a big RH shot. Then when Henrik controls from the right half boards and he pass back a 1 timer. I'd love to see Kesler put there, I liked him up there from last year.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:08 AM
Orca Smash

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF23 View Post
It frustrates the hell out of me that we have freakin' Alex Edler and Jason Garrison on our first unit PP and we are SO reluctant to set up one timers.

Just blast away, boys. Stop trying to be cute.
This has been happening for years, and seeing garrison in flordia i have to think this is by design by our coaches, the PP and defense coach seem to want players to take their time think pass first before blasting it, and its frustrating, we desperately need some one timers for awhile now.

Garrisson was doing constant one timers in flordia, he comes here, and thinks pass first.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:08 AM
YouCantYandleThis*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
No they wouldn't. None of those goals were even in the realm of soft. The only people saying otherwise will have a history of prefering Luongo to Schneider...

I still don't understand why AV has Burrows playing centre, getting torn apart in the faceoff circle. Get him on the 2nd line already with Raymond and Schroeder.

Alain Vigneault just doesn't belong behind the bench early in the season. It's time for Gillis to put him in the press box for a couple games to get a different perspective. Not NHL calibre right now.
You're absolutely lying to yourself if you think they wouldn't.

ANY time Luongo let in more than 3 goals he was roasted.

Schneider played average today. Nothing more.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:11 AM
Orca Smash

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouCantYandleThis View Post
You're absolutely lying to yourself if you think they wouldn't.

ANY time Luongo let in more than 3 goals he was roasted.

Schneider played average today. Nothing more.
He was roasted when he would let in a bunch of goals at the beginning of games like cory had against the ducks.

If they did they were trolls. You would think roberto fans would understand this more then anyone.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:13 AM
Edo
The Mightiest Club

I viewed this game as a positive. It looks like we'll be able to field a line-up with guys fit for their traditional roles without sacrificing talent. And depth for each of those roles to boot.

Ideally, the trading of Luongo will fill that one last hole we have in finding a proper third line center. Or at least the pieces to acquire that piece.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:15 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edonator View Post
I viewed this game as a positive. It looks like we'll be able to field a line-up with guys fit for their traditional roles without sacrificing talent. And depth for each of those roles to boot.

Ideally, the trading of Luongo will fill that one last hole we have in finding a proper third line center. Or at least the pieces to acquire that piece.
Once Kesler comes back we'll have Sedin-Kesler-Schroeder as our top 3 centers and we'll be fine. Right now I'm more concerned about scoring from the wing, our defense, and our goaltending.

01-28-2013, 01:18 AM
Yossarian54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orca Smash View Post
This has been happening for years, and seeing garrison in flordia i have to think this is by design by our coaches, the PP and defense coach seem to want players to take their time think pass first before blasting it, and its frustrating, we desperately need some one timers for awhile now.

Garrisson was doing constant one timers in flordia, he comes here, and thinks pass first.
I agree, it's noticeable how the d-men are pausing before passing or shooting. I think with that kind of strategy, you need an Ehrhoff-type who can move the puck around or shoot a lot quicker than Garrison or Edler appear capable of. Use the personnel you do have, and have them take a few more shots. Ideally, without pausing so much.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:19 AM
Lonny Bohonos
$15mil Mentor-pede

How did Shroeder play tonight?

Old
01-28-2013, 01:20 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
You could argue he was our best forward tonight, although that's not saying a whole lot considering how poorly everyone else played. I just wish we gave Schroeder better linemates.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:20 AM
LiquidSnake

Quote:
Probably the best forward on the ice. He's starting to get more confident and looks like a legitimate NHL talent.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:23 AM
Tryampled
Registered Snoozer

Quote:
one of the best forwards IMO. made a few good setups that players weren't ready to accept (burrows), hit the post, good defense.

Closed Thread