HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks vs Canucks pt 2

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-28-2013, 10:52 AM
  #151
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding
 
Barrie22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,141
vCash: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestorm View Post
How does Pickles look?
like a pickle?

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:21 AM
  #152
68 Z-28
Registered User
 
68 Z-28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Under the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 2,573
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
like a pickle?
slippery

68 Z-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:34 AM
  #153
Alaskanice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: 1 1/2 hours away
Country: United States
Posts: 391
vCash: 500
Demers and Braun should be looking over their shoulders. Irwin is making a strong bid to stay. I'm also liking the way Gomer is puck smart. He anticipates the play as Logan does. I'm ready to sit Handzus, for a long time.

Alaskanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:40 AM
  #154
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Fistfullofbeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Whidbey Island, WA
Country: India
Posts: 7,978
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestorm View Post
How does Pickles look?
Like this .. .. but not always dancing.

__________________
What?! Look, he thinks he's people!
Fistfullofbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:42 AM
  #155
bullslugg
HFBoards Sponsor
 
bullslugg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Cali central valley
Posts: 282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by juantimer View Post
This interview jamie baker did on the post-game show with vlasic is a must-listen:

http://chirb.it/fxKNnt
Listening to the highlights after MEV interview I really got a sense of how the crowd sounded. Don't get the same effect from TV. BTW Vlassic is too cool for school.

bullslugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:44 AM
  #156
sjshrky27
Registered User
 
sjshrky27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: CA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,638
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskanice View Post
Demers and Braun should be looking over their shoulders. Irwin is making a strong bid to stay. I'm also liking the way Gomer is puck smart. He anticipates the play as Logan does. I'm ready to sit Handzus, for a long time.

Its hard to bench a player that is sporting an +/-80% face off win percentage.

Just saying...


Last edited by sjshrky27: 01-28-2013 at 11:57 AM.
sjshrky27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:44 AM
  #157
bullslugg
HFBoards Sponsor
 
bullslugg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Cali central valley
Posts: 282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskanice View Post
Demers and Braun should be looking over their shoulders. Irwin is making a strong bid to stay. I'm also liking the way Gomer is puck smart. He anticipates the play as Logan does. I'm ready to sit Handzus, for a long time.


Handzus is a different player this year. Very positive impact on the team.

bullslugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:46 AM
  #158
Mattb124
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,201
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskanice View Post
Demers and Braun should be looking over their shoulders. Irwin is making a strong bid to stay. I'm also liking the way Gomer is puck smart. He anticipates the play as Logan does. I'm ready to sit Handzus, for a long time.
Irwin is making some good plays no doubt, but he has had quite a few glaring mistakes as well (mainly puck handling in the D-zone). I wonder how the coaches will view that from a risk-reward persepctive once they have other, veteran options.

Mattb124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:59 AM
  #159
do0glas
Registered User
 
do0glas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,015
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattb124 View Post
Irwin is making some good plays no doubt, but he has had quite a few glaring mistakes as well (mainly puck handling in the D-zone). I wonder how the coaches will view that from a risk-reward persepctive once they have other, veteran options.
only diffence is, he cleans up after himself. we let in a lot of stupid goals off of demers' giveaways.

but as far as who sits when burns comes back is a mystery me. likely murray though.

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:01 PM
  #160
Kitten Mittons
Registered User
 
Kitten Mittons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco
Country: Armenia
Posts: 47,530
vCash: 500
Irwin has some defensive gaffes that's for sure. But offensively, he has been better offensively than Braun and last year's Demers.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:04 PM
  #161
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 17,599
vCash: 500
What I think is kind of cool is how, as a group, we appear to have nailed pretty much dead on what ailed the Sharks last year.

1) Coaching. Robinson and Johnson have had an absolutely enormous impact on the team strategy. The team is playing exactly how most of us were screaming for last year. Aggressive PK, dynamic PP, playing faster as a team.

2) Handzus - Was it caused by Demitra's death? Maybe, seems likely, and totally understandable, but I think it's pretty clear that he did not want to play hockey last year. This year so far he not only seems like a different player, he seems like he wants to be here.

3) Team Speed - I have not seen the Sharks play this fast since the Owen Nolan days. I think a lot of our success has to do with how shocked the opposing teams are as well.

Also, minor things like Murray sucking (he was injured), White sucking, etc...

I don't know if it means we will win the cup this year, but they keep playing like this and I have a lot more hope for this season than I did the last few.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:04 PM
  #162
Alaskanice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: 1 1/2 hours away
Country: United States
Posts: 391
vCash: 500
Concerning Handzus, yes, he is doing better this year. Is that good enough?? The impending thought amongst most here is that he is certifiably slow. Gomer is quick and handles the puck much better, let alone that his faceoff prowess is nothing to sneeze at.

Alaskanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:06 PM
  #163
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding
 
Barrie22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,141
vCash: 302
with irwin all you have to look at is the give away at his own blue line last night that sent a canucks player all alone with nobody but niemi to bail him out (thankfully niemi or the post did).

that type of play, although hasn't come back to bite him yet. still cannot be over looked and its happened atleast once a game.

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:08 PM
  #164
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 17,599
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskanice View Post
Concerning Handzus, yes, he is doing better this year. Is that good enough?? The impending thought amongst most here is that he is certifiably slow. Gomer is quick and handles the puck much better, let alone that his faceoff prowess is nothing to sneeze at.
Handzus, keep in mind I've been one of his biggest detractors, is definitely on the upswing. Just like it is going to take our PK a little time to adjust to the new system and get consistent, Handzus should be allowed a little time as long as he keeps playing the way he has. Losing your best friend is rough, I've been there, and I don't blame him one bit for last season. That doesn't mean the team should have kept putting him on the ice, but whats done is done. Handzus is a better player than we saw last season and giving him the opportunity to prove it is the right decision. Gomez isn't going anywhere and for the first time in a long time we can honestly say the Sharks are deep in basically every department. That can't be bad.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:11 PM
  #165
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Fistfullofbeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Whidbey Island, WA
Country: India
Posts: 7,978
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
with irwin all you have to look at is the give away at his own blue line last night that sent a canucks player all alone with nobody but niemi to bail him out (thankfully niemi or the post did).

that type of play, although hasn't come back to bite him yet. still cannot be over looked and its happened atleast once a game.
5 games into his NHL career.

Kid has potential. But no point judging him (either way) till atleast half-way into the season.

Fistfullofbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:13 PM
  #166
Alaskanice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: 1 1/2 hours away
Country: United States
Posts: 391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Handzus, keep in mind I've been one of his biggest detractors, is definitely on the upswing. Just like it is going to take our PK a little time to adjust to the new system and get consistent, Handzus should be allowed a little time as long as he keeps playing the way he has. Losing your best friend is rough, I've been there, and I don't blame him one bit for last season. That doesn't mean the team should have kept putting him on the ice, but whats done is done. Handzus is a better player than we saw last season and giving him the opportunity to prove it is the right decision. Gomez isn't going anywhere and for the first time in a long time we can honestly say the Sharks are deep in basically every department. That can't be bad.
Darn it, pulling at my heartstrings.
Let him play.
Sheesh.

Alaskanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:16 PM
  #167
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding
 
Barrie22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,141
vCash: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fistfullofbeer View Post
5 games into his NHL career.

Kid has potential. But no point judging him (either way) till atleast half-way into the season.
i know it is 5 games in, but if that trend keeps happening up to the point where burns/demers get healthy it will be a lot easier for the coaching staff to choose who goes or stays.

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:23 PM
  #168
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 17,599
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
i know it is 5 games in, but if that trend keeps happening up to the point where burns/demers get healthy it will be a lot easier for the coaching staff to choose who goes or stays.
I think it will come down to who is best served by returning to the AHL. If they feel like Irwin has nothing left to learn down there then it becomes an issue. Worst case his first on the call up list if someone is injured and that's a pretty good place to be for Irwin.

I would love to see Murray sit a game and Petrecki get his cup of coffee too, just to evaluate where he is at.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:25 PM
  #169
Kitten Mittons
Registered User
 
Kitten Mittons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco
Country: Armenia
Posts: 47,530
vCash: 500
I don't think we're deep in bottom 6 at all. We still suck.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:25 PM
  #170
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding
 
Barrie22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,141
vCash: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
I think it will come down to who is best served by returning to the AHL. If they feel like Irwin has nothing left to learn down there then it becomes an issue. Worst case his first on the call up list if someone is injured and that's a pretty good place to be for Irwin.

I would love to see Murray sit a game and Petrecki get his cup of coffee too, just to evaluate where he is at.
yeah i am actually suprised he hasn't gotten a game yet, granted i do understand the coaches thinking in you don't want to mess with a good thing and well the sharks are a good thing right now.

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:27 PM
  #171
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.
 
Gene Parmesan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 30,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Handzus, keep in mind I've been one of his biggest detractors, is definitely on the upswing. Just like it is going to take our PK a little time to adjust to the new system and get consistent, Handzus should be allowed a little time as long as he keeps playing the way he has. Losing your best friend is rough, I've been there, and I don't blame him one bit for last season. That doesn't mean the team should have kept putting him on the ice, but whats done is done. Handzus is a better player than we saw last season and giving him the opportunity to prove it is the right decision. Gomez isn't going anywhere and for the first time in a long time we can honestly say the Sharks are deep in basically every department. That can't be bad.
Not just his best friend but a whole plane full. Hes been what I expected him to be last year. Hes played well.

Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:27 PM
  #172
do0glas
Registered User
 
do0glas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,015
vCash: 500
He is also playing for a very mobile boyle, meaning he is often the one patrolling that blue line. this causes him to have to be mobile laterally, and it may just be a learning adjustment.

You can burn me at the stake, but i dont want demers back in the line up.

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:29 PM
  #173
sjshrky27
Registered User
 
sjshrky27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: CA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,638
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
What I think is kind of cool is how, as a group, we appear to have nailed pretty much dead on what ailed the Sharks last year.

1) Coaching. Robinson and Johnson have had an absolutely enormous impact on the team strategy. The team is playing exactly how most of us were screaming for last year. Aggressive PK, dynamic PP, playing faster as a team.

2) Handzus - Was it caused by Demitra's death? Maybe, seems likely, and totally understandable, but I think it's pretty clear that he did not want to play hockey last year. This year so far he not only seems like a different player, he seems like he wants to be here.

3) Team Speed - I have not seen the Sharks play this fast since the Owen Nolan days. I think a lot of our success has to do with how shocked the opposing teams are as well.

Also, minor things like Murray sucking (he was injured), White sucking, etc...

I don't know if it means we will win the cup this year, but they keep playing like this and I have a lot more hope for this season than I did the last few.
Perfectly stated. Agree 100%

The two other things that drove me crazy last year was one, the Sharks never crashed the net, or had anyone sitting near the crease. Great change made by the new coaching.

Secondly, Clowe, and Murray are much better players when they play with an edge to them. The Sharks got picked on alot last season. There was not much agression last season from the Sharks. Complete opposite this season so far. And now add Burish to the mix, teams will think twice about running/fighting Sharks players

Good times.

sjshrky27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:35 PM
  #174
WTFetus
Moderator
Most popular
 
WTFetus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 11,826
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskanice View Post
Concerning Handzus, yes, he is doing better this year. Is that good enough?? The impending thought amongst most here is that he is certifiably slow.
The surprising thing is, Handzus doesn't even look slow this year. He's not Marleau fast, but his strides look considerably faster than players like Murray and Clowe. His boardwork has also been exceptional. In the last 5 games, he definitely hasn't been the weakest link on the 3rd line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
I don't think we're deep in bottom 6 at all. We still suck.
They might not be producing yet, but I thought all 6 of them played great last game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
only diffence is, he cleans up after himself. we let in a lot of stupid goals off of demers' giveaways.
Not really. Niemi and the post have bailed him out so far.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:37 PM
  #175
do0glas
Registered User
 
do0glas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,015
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
The surprising thing is, Handzus doesn't even look slow this year. He's not Marleau fast, but his strides look considerably faster than players like Murray and Clowe. His boardwork has also been exceptional.



They might not be producing yet, but I thought all 6 of them played great last game.



Not really. Niemi and the post have bailed him out so far.
I can only think of the give away against the canucks that actually lead to a scoring chance. but if you have other examples...

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:39 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.