Royal Rumble GDT pt 2

Closed Thread

Old
01-27-2013, 10:36 PM
M.C.G. 31

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
Brad Maddox powerbombed Rock through the table.
Nah. If you look closely, you could see a scorpion in the bottom left corner when the lights were out. The WWE logo also turned into a scorpion.

It was Sting.

01-27-2013, 10:37 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 500
Also, Punk constantly putting the cover back over the Spanish announce table was the funniest thing I've seen in a while

Old
01-27-2013, 10:38 PM
The Shockmaster
AKA SheamusFan

Quote:
Rikishi, Maddox and Bork Laser.

The Sword.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:41 PM
MarleauApologist
fun must be alwalys

Epic win for the whole Cenation!!!

Old
01-27-2013, 10:45 PM
UnrealMachine

I'm usually pretty satisfied with WWE PPV's lately, but Royal Rumble was no good. Very unfortunate because the build up was great for the most part.

- Big Show vs ADR was okay, but they had such an incredible match on SD a few weeks ago and didn't come close to that level.
- Hell No vs Rhodes Scholars was no good. Am I the only one who remembers that this match has been built up for 4 months since that tag tournament began? Apparently they had to save time for an extra long RR promo (didn't we already order the PPV?) and the Rock channeling the Ultimate Warrior in a 9 minute pre-match promo.
- Royal Rumble was below average. The ending was very bad. Not even necessarily in term of Cena winning, but the final elimination was trash. The Ryback effect, I guess.
- CM Punk vs the Rock was actually a pretty good match. The first ending was good, but everything after that was an embarrassment. Even Jack Tunney wouldn't have stooped that low. As far as I'm concerned there is no proof that the Shield is involved and the Rocks title reign should not be recognized.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:48 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealMachine View Post
I'm usually pretty satisfied with WWE PPV's lately, but Royal Rumble was no good. Very unfortunate because the build up was great for the most part.

- Big Show vs ADR was okay, but they had such an incredible match on SD a few weeks ago and didn't come close to that level.
- Hell No vs Rhodes Scholars was no good. Am I the only one who remembers that this match has been built up for 4 months since that tag tournament began? Apparently they had to save time for an extra long RR promo (didn't we already order the PPV?) and the Rock channeling the Ultimate Warrior in a 9 minute pre-match promo.
- Royal Rumble was below average. The ending was very bad. Not even necessarily in term of Cena winning, but the final elimination was trash. The Ryback effect, I guess.
- CM Punk vs the Rock was actually a pretty good match. The first ending was good, but everything after that was an embarrassment. Even Jack Tunney wouldn't have stooped that low. As far as I'm concerned there is no proof that the Shield is involved and the Rocks title reign should not be recognized.
This had nothing to do with the tournament, that match happened a long time ago.

They've defended the titles against Rhodes Scholars several times now.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:58 PM
UnrealMachine

Quote:
This had nothing to do with the tournament, that match happened a long time ago.

They've defended the titles against Rhodes Scholars several times now.
I thought they were supposed to have a rematch, but Rhodes had that injury in the middle of November? Then they won that elimination match, but then had to beat Rey/Sin Cara at TLC. They played up the match a lot over the last month, but the actual match at Royal Rumble was a huge disappointment.

Edit: Okay, I see now. RS won by their first match by disqualification. Cody injured. They lost to HN on Main Event (why I never remembered seeing it). Now this.

Last edited by UnrealMachine: 01-27-2013 at 11:03 PM.
Old
01-27-2013, 10:58 PM
David71

did shelton benjamin return?

Old
01-27-2013, 11:01 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
I don't think they'll go the route that The Shield wasn't involved. That would be ****ing awesome if Punk got his title back as they could prove it wasn't the shield. Such a cool heel tactic and a way to keep the title reign going to Wrestlemania.

However - they aren't that ****ing smart. In fact, I almost have no faith in the writing staff to keep something good. I'm not trying to be a whiny wrestling fan, but I'm tired of people coming back here and there and getting the spotlight. Rock can come back and put someone over. He didn't come back to get wins. Put someone over and get the crowd electrified. Same w/ Lesnar. I love him back.. but seriously? He has been MIA since Summer Slam and I could give two ***** less about his match at Wrestlemania. It's not the proper way to build. It's a lazy way. The only reason I respect Taker is because he was the heart/soul of the WWF/E for so damn long.

I just won't care to buy the lesser PPVs. I'll buy the Road to Wrestlemania (Rumble-WM) and then a few here and there like MITB, TLC, or if there is a good card. It's a lost to invest in. Money, time, etc. There is a reason why the show only averages 2s/3s nowadays. The investment doesn't go back to the fans. To think - Summer of Punk and all the change.... to Rock just coming back and winning anyway. What the ****? And this is coming from one of the BIGGEST wrestling apologists out there. I make excuses for wrestling more than any human being.

How sick would WM be if it was like Taker/Rock, Punk (c) for 500 days! vs. just about anyone. Even if it is Cena.. we know those 2 put on amazing matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Del Rio/Show was absolutely awesome. Some great spots and the finish was great.

Team Hell No vs Rhodes Scholars was decent. Finish caught me off guard, as I expected RS to win.

Royal Rumble had the same effect on me as the Rock/Punk match. SOLID start but it fizzled out. Jericho absolutley stole the show. Crowd ate that up instantly. Goldust and Godfather also got some amazing pops. I loved Goldust coming out and going toe-to-toe with Cody. That was a great moment. But after Ziggler got eliminate... we were left with Sheamus, Cena and Ryback...
What a freaking moment that was when Goldust/Cody went toe to toe. The crowd was into it and it was great psychology. Cody shaking his head and Goldust coming in w/ all he had. It was the reason I love wrestling. Simple booking - you put a heel brother with a face brother and boom - instant greatness. Everyone at my house was marking out.

Quote:
I was really hoping he'd come down to no music and no actual number and just enter the Rumble. That would have been hilarious and Cole/JBL could have gone off on him.

Which reminds me.. JBL was freaking awesome tonight.

Old
01-27-2013, 11:02 PM
the chef
Just you know why...

Quote:
Originally Posted by David71 View Post
did shelton benjamin return?
No, unfortunately he did not.

Old
01-27-2013, 11:04 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

The Rock-Punk match has been beaten to death so I'll talk about other things.

Didn't see much of the first two matches so I can't really comment. Was a little surprised they kept the belts on Hell No.

The Rumble:

I ****in marked for Jericho. I had it running in the background on my computer with the Wings on and I just heard "BREAK THE WALLS DOWNN!!" and went nuts. WWE did a great job keeping that under wraps.

Goldust was great and they gave him a nice little run. It was great when him and Cody both did the uppercut. I lol'd when Cole slipped and called him Dustin.

I was going nuts for Godfather. They couldn't have him last more than one second though? Really? Give Slater or someone a Ho Train then get thrown out.

The Final (Three) was so predictable and stupid and ruined an otherwise good match. Skip Van Goldberg ****in sucks.

Old
01-27-2013, 11:06 PM
M.C.G. 31

Seriously. NOTHING online mentioned ANYTHING of Jericho's return. It was all Benjamin/Masters/Carlito/Helms... and we got JERICHO. That was a shocker and a legit mark out moment. My mom told me to shut up three times. And then SHE ended up watching because Jericho was there and Rock was wrestling later.

Old
01-27-2013, 11:09 PM
Jussi
Dat Times Square

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince McMahon View Post
Seriously. NOTHING online mentioned ANYTHING of Jericho's return. It was all Benjamin/Masters/Carlito/Helms... and we got JERICHO. That was a shocker and a legit mark out moment. My mom told me to shut up three times. And then SHE ended up watching because Jericho was there and Rock was wrestling later.
Totally ruins your momentum in HFWF...

Old
01-27-2013, 11:11 PM
M.C.G. 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Totally ruins your momentum in HFWF...
Hey, you have fun with your online girlfriend in HFWF, buddy.

Old
01-27-2013, 11:11 PM
Jussi
Dat Times Square

Quote:
Also, Punk constantly putting the cover back over the Spanish announce table was the funniest thing I've seen in a while
There has to be a clip of the Spanish commentary during that somewhere. "Gracias, senor Punk!"

Old
01-27-2013, 11:12 PM
Langdon Alger*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I don't think they'll go the route that The Shield wasn't involved. That would be ****ing awesome if Punk got his title back as they could prove it wasn't the shield. Such a cool heel tactic and a way to keep the title reign going to Wrestlemania.
That's just the thing about wrestling - if someone gets attacked and nobody can see who did it, it's NEVER who you think it is, and if everyone on screen goes "Well, it's obvious the attacker was *name of wrestler*," then it's guaranteed that wrestler had nothing to do with it.

Old
01-27-2013, 11:13 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutdown Sutter View Post
**** everything about that ending. I'm not wasting ~33 hours of my time watching RAW and EC only to see Cena go over at WM.

Oh yeah and **** the Rock too.
This. Tonight was the first time I purchased a PPV in almost 2 years, and I feel blatantly ripped off. Everything went precisely as scripted. We got to the final 3 rumble guys and I was like "I don't want ANY of these guys to win." Rock-Punk was awful. Punk dominates the match, Rock is dead on his feet, and punk is live and spritely, then suddenly the rock pops up and wins with the freaking People's Elbow. It was like a Cena match, Cena gets the crap beat out of him for an hour, then suddenly pops up and wins on one offensive move.

Old
01-27-2013, 11:14 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langdon Alger View Post
That's just the thing about wrestling - if someone gets attacked and nobody can see who did it, it's NEVER who you think it is, and if everyone on screen goes "Well, it's obvious the attacker was *name of wrestler*," then it's guaranteed that wrestler had nothing to do with it.
I'd agree.... but the lights went out before and Shield was there before. They actually did exactly that.

Old
01-27-2013, 11:15 PM
M.C.G. 31

Honestly, part of me believed, during the Rumble, when Jericho's music hit, the jacket and everything, that when he turned around and the lights came back on... it'd be Brad Maddox. I don't know why. I thought I was being trolled.

Old
01-27-2013, 11:17 PM
RussianRocket10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince McMahon View Post
Honestly, part of me believed, during the Rumble, when Jericho's music hit, the jacket and everything, that when he turned around and the lights came back on... it'd be Brad Maddox. I don't know why. I thought I was being trolled.
Oh boy, picturing that in my head. The crowd reaction would have been hilarious.

Old
01-27-2013, 11:21 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

I marked for Jericho - when I saw that it was Jericho. His comeback this year was better than last year already. No one was expecting it.

Dwayne/Punk was a decent enough match, but a little bit of an anti-climatic ending like Wrestlemania was. Has the person who originally won the match ever won after it was restarted?

Old
01-27-2013, 11:22 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

I hate when the internet has funny ideas like CPrice just did... because that would have been HILARIOUS.

I also loved the skit w/ Santino knocking everyone outside but nobody out. That fit his character well. Got a great reaction from the 10 people watching at my house.

Old
Marf

Probably gonna get flamed for this but whatevs, I quite liked the PPV. Show/ADR may not have been as good as their 1st LMS match in my opinion but still a very enjoyable match with a hilarious outcome.

Tag match was good with a surprise ending, did not think Hell No were walking out champs.

Rumble was awesome. Loved seeing Jericho come out as well as last over 40 minutes. Loved loved loved seeing Cody and Golddust go toe to toe. Great to see the Godfather pop in to say hello. While I didn't want a Cena or Ryback win, I fully expected it as well as the final 4 to consist of those 2, Ziggles and Sheamus so that didn't surprise me or really take anything away from the match for me. Biggest disappointment of the rumble match was Kane not getting some more eliminations. **** HBK, Kane is the greatest Royal Rumble performer ever.

Rock/Punk was a great match with an interesting ending. I actually liked the way it ended because it gives Punk lots of ammo in the way he got "screwed" by Vince. But I do agree he should have eaten a Rock Bottom with the elbow instead of losing to just the damn elbow. But overall I enjoyed this ppv and moreso I enjoyed reading the freakouts some of the posters had. You guys need to stop watching if you take it that personal, jesus.

Oh, and for the love of god folks, stop calling a Ziggler cash-in on WWE Title matches, his briefcase is for the Heavyweight title!

Old
M.C.G. 31

Quote:
- Chris Jericho's deal to work the Royal Rumble is believed to have been made when the company contacted him regarding a potential appearance on the 1,000th episode of Raw. Jericho was kept hidden in a bus outside the arena until his entrance; no word on his long-term contract status.

- There were plans to use Mark Henry, Carlito and Shelton Benjamin at the Rumble but it didn't happen. This was the first PPV that Henry has been brought in for since he was hurt. There had been discussion of using Carlito since he visited backstage at the 1,000th Raw, but certain people soured on him when he began slamming CM Punk online.

- Ted DiBiase was backstage at the show; he is expected to return from injury soon. Chris Masters was also there visiting.

- The Godfather quietly drove in to the show from Phoenix in an attempt to hide his appearance from those who might have been looking for talent at the airports. He arrived Sunday afternoon, checked in to his hotel and then headed to the arena.
Source: PWInsider

Old
01-27-2013, 11:28 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

thought....

Vince blacked the arena out and sent "the shield" out to take out rock so he could take the title off punk to get back at him for "leaving the company"

Closed Thread