HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

League of Justice @ Cowardly Smurfs, 7PM EST

Old
01-28-2013, 10:57 PM
Identity404
Unknown Pleasures

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Stopping Marchand would have been spectacular.

Stopping Chara would have been flat-out lucky.

Stopping Horton would have been spectacular, considering Horton was 10 feet away and shooting high.

Stopping Krejci would have been the clutch save of the year so far.

Any others? I mean, we aren't talking about the Florida game here. Boston scored 4 times where they flat-out beat our defense for easy goals.
You can do this the other way too.

1st goal: Ward was pretty slow getting across.

2nd goal: Deflection, it was stoppable, but would have been luckly, like you said.

3rd goal: I found this was to be the worst. Ward just kind of slowly laid down in a awkward two-pad stack. WAY too early like if he was saying "Hey bro, top of the net is all yours".

4th goal: Ward was following the puck out of the net and was flopping around the whole time like a fish out of water. It was SLOPPY. He put himself in the position to leave the net empty.

Identity404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:58 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Ruutu View Post
I think this quote says it all. Shooting high requires a spectacular save? Why?
Because he had all day to walk in and pick a corner!

Horton breaks in completely alone through three defenders, Ward guesses low, and that means the goalie sucks? Do you seriously expect a reflex save on that kind of shot?

And enough of the Ellis trolling already. Seriously. He wouldn't have done any better against the quality and variety of shots that were taken tonight.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:04 PM
MD
#woofwoof

Im not going to go and say that Ward cost us that game, but as others have pointed out, he certainly didnt help us out very much.

MD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:05 PM
Identity404
Unknown Pleasures

Quote:

Horton breaks in completely alone through three defenders, Ward guesses low, and that means the goalie sucks? Do you seriously expect a reflex save on that kind of shot?

And enough of the Ellis trolling already. Seriously. He wouldn't have done any better against the quality and variety of shots that were taken tonight.
The problem is Ward dropped way too early on that breakaway. It's best not to make the first move on the breakaway or else you will get schooled like Ward did.

Old
01-28-2013, 11:06 PM
impeach estaalo

Quote:
Do you seriously expect a reflex save on that kind of shot?
I expect more than a reflex flop to the ice.

Quote:
It's against board rules to call people trolls. All I'm doing is stating my opinion, which is that Ward is off his game and that at the current moment Ellis is a better option.

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:09 PM
Anton H Christ
ruh-roh corvo

I want to know how he got away with reflex flopping so many times in the game.

Anton H Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:11 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Identity404 View Post
1st goal: Ward was pretty slow getting across.
He was slow getting across because he was at the top of his crease to receive a second consecutive Chara slapshot. Why would he be leaning away from the hardest shooter in the world, anticipating a one-timer to the weak side post, when his team is on the power play and ought to at least have basic coverage established?

Quote:
3rd goal: I found this was to be the worst. Ward just kind of slowly laid down in a awkward two-pad stack. WAY too early like if he was saying "Hey bro, top of the net is all yours".
So balance that off against the clean breakaway save he made.

Quote:
4th goal: Ward was following the puck out of the net and was flopping around the whole time like a fish out of water. It was SLOPPY. He put himself in the position to leave the net empty.
After the save he made on Horton, we're going to criticize him for failing to stop the followup shot, where Harrison gloved it straight to Hamilton for a cross-crease pass to a one-timer?

Sloppy or not, that would have required an INSANE save. Like, 2009 playoffs insane. There is absolutely no reason to expect any goaltender to bail his team out like that as a matter of course.

Old
01-28-2013, 11:15 PM
OntarioFisherman*

Quote:

I love how anyone who questions wards stellar .861 Save % is a troll. Meanwhile Ellis has given up 1 goal in 40+ shots .

How do you know Ellis wouldn't have done any better? The once chance he got he did decidedly better. Are we the trolls or are you?

OntarioFisherman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:19 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
The problem is Ward dropped way too early on that breakaway. It's best not to make the first move on the breakaway or else you will get schooled like Ward did.
Yeah, goalies tend to guess at the shot when the defense allows a guy a surprise breakaway.

Again, Ward stopped a clean breakaway as well. The question is, how the hell does a team like Boston get multiple breakaways when their strategy is to chip and chase the whole game? Is it normal for a goalie to be expected to make multiple breakaway saves to even maintain "average" status in the eyes of the fans?

Old
01-28-2013, 11:20 PM
Novacane

Is it bad that I want Ellis to get lit up on Friday just so all of this Ward bashing/Ellis pimping can stop? Seriously, we don't need two threads dedicated to it when we are talking about it in this thread.

Novacane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:21 PM
normalpsychology

vCash: 511
Quote:
He was slow getting across because he was at the top of his crease to receive a second consecutive Chara slapshot. Why would he be leaning away from the hardest shooter in the world, anticipating a one-timer to the weak side post, when his team is on the power play and ought to at least have basic coverage established?

So balance that off against the clean breakaway save he made.

After the save he made on Horton, we're going to criticize him for failing to stop the followup shot, where Harrison gloved it straight to Hamilton for a cross-crease pass to a one-timer?

Sloppy or not, that would have required an INSANE save. Like, 2009 playoffs insane. There is absolutely no reason to expect any goaltender to bail his team out like that as a matter of course.
Lol sounds like you need to rewatch the game. He didn't stop Horton's shot, it flew right past Ward and hit the post.

Last edited by normalpsychology: 01-28-2013 at 11:28 PM.
normalpsychology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:29 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennay Kekua View Post
Lol sounds like you need to rewatch the game. He didn't stop Horton's shot, it flew right past Ward and hit the post.
See the replay at 1:25. It was a glove save, no post.

Old
01-28-2013, 11:30 PM
Identity404
Unknown Pleasures

Quote:

The save on Horton wasn't great to begin with. He went low with another two-pad stack and got lucky Horton hit the goalpost. If he wasn't making that unnecessary desperation save in the first place the net wouldn't have been empty for the cross-crease pass to one-timer.

I don't think Ward cost us this game, but he certainly didn't play amazing or deserve much praise. You know he his in a funk when Tripp is praising him after routine saves.

The stats don't tell the whole truth, but they give you a pretty good idea on how a goaltender is performing. Cam Ward is not on top of his game, can we agree on that?

Old
01-28-2013, 11:33 PM
Identity404
Unknown Pleasures

Quote:
See the replay at 1:25. It was a glove save, no post.

Watch the FSN feed. John calls it: "Here's Horton... Off the goal post.."

Old
01-28-2013, 11:34 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Did you watch the replay at 1:25?

Old
01-28-2013, 11:37 PM
Chrispy

Quote:
I heard Forslund say the same thing. But when you watch the replay above at 1:25, it's pretty clear Ward gets it.

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:37 PM
Novacane

Yeah, it was a glove save. Even Boston fans are saying it was a save. Why would they want to give Ward credit?

Novacane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:38 PM
Identity404
Unknown Pleasures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacane View Post
Is it bad that I want Ellis to get lit up on Friday just so all of this Ward bashing/Ellis pimping can stop? Seriously, we don't need two threads dedicated to it when we are talking about it in this thread.
I'm not bashing Ward or trying to praise Ellis. Just don't think there is any need for people to defend Ward like he is playing amazing...

Old
01-28-2013, 11:50 PM
Identity404
Unknown Pleasures

Neutral fans on the main board (Horton goal):

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrganist View Post
I thought it was nice too when I saw the highlight. Though Cam Ward looked like a goalie from 1983 on that play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wKetch22 View Post
Ward looked like a goalie from 1983 all game haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekar View Post
Wow, that was terrible by Ward, but sweet moves by Horton. Definitely goal of the night so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckEatinShark View Post
What the heck was Ward doing?

Did Jordan ever find out where the puck was?
Quote:
Originally Posted by moolah3i4 View Post
Beaut dangles, but whys Cam Ward stacking the pads on 80% of the goals.
Goodnight All...

Old
01-28-2013, 11:54 PM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

Jamie McBain is entering Joe Corvo level of horribleness.

Brock Anton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:59 PM
Soderberg

Not that my opinion matters but I am surprised some people are blaming Ward. I thought he made a lot of big saves for you guys. I thought the power play was the problem giving up a short handed goal and then a lot of short handed chances. Only got 1 shot on your 5 on 3.

Soderberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:03 AM
Lazyking
Never Forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segchise View Post
Not that my opinion matters but I am surprised some people are blaming Ward. I thought he made a lot of big saves for you guys. I thought the power play was the problem giving up a short handed goal and then a lot of short handed chances. Only got 1 shot on your 5 on 3.
My issue with Ward tonight is all the sprawling.. he's always liked to do it but not that much. Tells me his confidence is a little shaky.

yes he made some big saves but he's committing too early. That cost him tonight.

Lazyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:29 AM
bleedgreen

Ward was making a lot of saves he never does when he is on. He's the guy who is always in position, not the guy who stacks the pads. He looks like he is still getting his game together. He didn't go play anywhere and it shows. He doesn't suck, Ellis isn't better. We did well to get back in this game.

Mcbain made one mistake. Let's not get carried away. He's played very well and had a nice goal. He's still a big step up from corvo and sangs. People forgive Faulk easy enough for similar mistakes.

Not a bad game. I think it was the biggest test yet, and we came close. Life goes on.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:33 AM
totaltank

The game was 3-3 after two. Whatever Cam did to that point, the game was there for the Canes and they got hammered in the third. We got outshot 18-8 and failed to clear the zone despite numerous chances on the goal that cost us the game. Then our captain took a penalty to kill any chances of a sixth-attacker situation.

I'm sorry, but a goalie's job is to give his team a chance to win. We had the best team in the league tied with under five minutes to go. I'll take that every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

I think our coach deserves some of the blame and our GM deserves his fair share as well. Muller did a horrible job of managing the bench. We were a two-line team in the third and Joni Pitkanen was just plain on the ice too much. He wasn't good tonight, and was obviously gassed in the third (as were the six forwards who actually played in the third period).

And JR just can't keep icing this defensive group. Corvo couldn't get off the bench in the third because we just can't trust him to keep the puck out of our net. And with Faulk out, there's just too much ice going to third-pairing guys, and too much expected of Pitkanen, who's just not an elite guy, no matter how much we want him to be.

In my opinion, the difference in this game was the defense units. Boston has Chara, we don't have anyone remotely close. And Boston had Hamilton tonight and we didn't have ours (Faulk).

totaltank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:59 AM
Mr Whipple
Charmin Soft

I'd say one thing was the difference in the game: size.

The title of this thread is very fitting. The Bruins simply used their size to win this game. They did it with hits, dominating the boards, controlling the puck, putting big bodies in front of the goal, and in the end they wore the Canes down so that they had no gas left in the tank.

Yes, we are bigger than we have been in previous years, but look at our lineup tonight. We've got Jordan, who has contributed with assists but not found the net yet himself. Semin, who is still gun shy with his shot. Westgarth to make our 4th line bigger, but hardly even used. Then we were missing the hits and physicality from Ruutu, and add in Faulk on the backend. Even LaRose hasn't really been showing the hard grind hits (as debatable as how hard those may be ) that he has in the past. In the past we beat them more with speed and skated circles around them. We didn't have that tonight.

It's not time to write off the season because of this at all yet, though. It's just that with no pre-season to work out the kinks and experiment we don't have as much margin for error. The Bruins are after all one of the best teams in the East. Hopefully the lines will get settled with better chemistry and purpose, and especially healthy.

Mr Whipple is offline   Reply With Quote