HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game #6: at Columbus, 1.28 (6:00 PM, Fox Sports Southwest, 1310 AM, 104.1 FM)

Old
01-28-2013, 09:27 PM
Elysian
@AdamBath

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
I know some people won't agree, but any trade that takes Steve Ott off this team was a success in my book.
Bingo.

Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:29 PM
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\|\\

I hate Ott as much as anyone, perhaps significantly more, but he did have value and probably should have been traded earlier than he was for a player who isn't Derek Roy.

hairylikebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:30 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
I know some people won't agree, but any trade that takes Steve Ott off this team was a success in my book.
All of those people that won't agree are on the O Boards or on twitter.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:32 PM
Elysian
@AdamBath

Quote:
Stars coach Glen Gulutzan on penalties

“If you are going to take eight minors in a game, or nine minors in a game you are probably not going to win. That’s what happened today. We’ve got to be careful with our sticks, we can’t be reaching in the offensive zone. We’re killing ourselves. You can do whatever you want system-wise and play as hard as you want, but if you are going to take that many penalties this is the result.”
Uh, Einstein, that IS a system problem. You can't just "do whatever you want system-wise," and this is why.

Old
01-28-2013, 09:32 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairylikebear View Post
I hate Ott as much as anyone, perhaps significantly more, but he did have value and probably should have been traded earlier than he was for a player who isn't Derek Roy.
Who would you say he could've fetched? Please don't say Raymond!

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:33 PM
Brand New Stars

Quote:
Well that's a hyperbole. I wanted Ott gone like most people here, but there would've been an outrage if he had been traded for a 3rd round pick when we all knew he was a coveted asset around the league.

Brand New Stars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:39 PM
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\|\\

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
Who would you say he could've fetched? Please don't say Raymond!
I believe Mike Weber could've been had, for one. Maybe even Kassian. It's hard to say without knowing who was available, but Ott probably held more value than Grossman, and I would've preferred that return (2nd + 3rd) over Roy, although dumping Pardy was an added bonus.

Old
01-28-2013, 09:40 PM
Elysian
@AdamBath

Quote:
I believe Mike Weber could've been had, for one. Maybe even Kassian. It's hard to say without knowing who was available, but Ott probably held more value than Grossman, and I would've preferred that return (2nd + 3rd) over Roy, although dumping Pardy was an added bonus.
I think you're nuts.

Old
01-28-2013, 09:42 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
although dumping Pardy was an added bonus.
Could you imagine this team with Pardy AND Rome on it?

Old
01-28-2013, 09:43 PM
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\|\\

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
Could you imagine this team with Pardy AND Rome on it?
I would honestly take that over Rome and Robidas because at least Pardy is scratch-able.

Old
01-28-2013, 09:44 PM
BigG44

Roy is very likely Dallas' 2nd line center for 3 to 5 more years. I hope he grows on you.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:46 PM
Troy McClure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brand New Stars View Post
Well that's a hyperbole. I wanted Ott gone like most people here, but there would've been an outrage if he had been traded for a 3rd round pick when we all knew he was a coveted asset around the league.
I think his return shows that the trade deadline hype about him was more talk than reality. Teams aren't lining up for a ten goal scoring penalty machine no matter how good he is at face offs.

Troy McClure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:48 PM
Phil Connors*

It's not that I don't like Roy, but I really haven't noticed anything special about him in the 4 games he's played. I would have no problem having Eakin as a #2 next year. He has really impressed me in every facet of his game.

Phil Connors* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:55 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:
I think you're right about Weber, but Kassian no way.

We got really great value back for that trade. Roy is a good leader on the ice, has good movement, great hands, picks his head up a lot, and he's creative like Ribeiro (Not as creative, but still creative)

Helped us unload Pardy and a lot of PIMs. Good second line center to have though.

Old
01-28-2013, 09:57 PM
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\|\\

Quote:
Roy is very likely Dallas' 2nd line center for 3 to 5 more years. I hope he grows on you.

The way I see it, the Stars are in a lose-lose situation with Roy. Either he has a very good season, or he doesn't. If he does, he'll become rather coveted in free agency and have the option to join another team for the same sort of money he would get from Dallas, which is an option I believe he will take. If he doesn't have a very good season, as in, if he spends most of it in IR, or if he continues that 0.5 ppg pace from Buffalo, then he'll happily resign to a cheap-ish contract but we'll be stuck with a crappy 2nd line C who isn't particularly useful in the bottom six for 3 to 5 more years, as you say.

I hope I'm wrong, but from the start I really hated that trade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaallMunson18 View Post
It's not that I don't like Roy, but I really haven't noticed anything special about him in the 4 games he's played. I would have no problem having Eakin as a #2 next year. He has really impressed me in every facet of his game.
I love what I've seen from Eakin, but he's not a 2C yet. He can collect points with talented wingers, but he doesn't generate enough offense on his own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
I think you're right about Weber, but Kassian no way.

We got really great value back for that trade. Roy is a good leader on the ice, has good movement, great hands, picks his head up a lot, and he's creative like Ribeiro (Not as creative, but still creative)

Helped us unload Pardy and a lot of PIMs. Good second line center to have though.
Like I said, I'm thrilled that we dumped Ott and Pardy. Maybe Troy is right, and Ott's value just sucked ass, but it seems to me like he had more value than Roy. I mean, Buffalo was not getting any help from Roy who was going to leave at the end of this season anyway. If we wanted him so bad, we could have had him for cheap.

Last edited by hairylikebear: 01-28-2013 at 10:03 PM.
Old
01-28-2013, 10:00 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:
The way I see it, the Stars are in a lose-lose situation with Roy. Either he has a very good season, or he doesn't. If he does, he'll become rather coveted in free agency and have the option to join another team for the same sort of money he would get from Dallas, which is an option I believe he will take. If he doesn't have a very good season, as in, if he spends most of it in IR, or if he continues that 0.5 ppg pace from Buffalo, then he'll happily resign to a cheap-ish contract but we'll be stuck with a crappy 2nd line C who isn't particularly useful in the bottom six for 3 to 5 more years, as you say.

I hope I'm wrong, but from the start I really hated that trade.

I love what I've seen from Eakin, but he's not a 2C yet. He can collect points with talented wingers, but he doesn't generate enough offense on his own.
Have to disagree with you on this. At times Eakin is the ONLY offense on the ice. Not to mention the kid backchecks like Louie Eriksson.

Old
01-28-2013, 10:15 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
If he does, he'll become rather coveted in free agency and have the option to join another team for the same sort of money he would get from Dallas, which is an option I believe he will take.
I really want to believe what Dallas did with/for him during the lock out will help us when it come to re-signing him.

Old
01-28-2013, 10:19 PM
TrillMike

Quote:

I'm actually okay with this, especially if he doesn't get a NTC. Eakin has looked awesome, if he keeps playing like this he could make Roy expendable. Roy could get us someone special in the future. Hell, if both Roy and Eakin impress us, you could move Benn back to wing. Let's hope Faksa makes this even more of a good top 6 C problem to have.

TrillMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:35 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Roy's strong enough defensively to be a decent to good 3rd line center. I think he'll rebound though, not to the extent he was at during his peak, but still 60-70 points a season with solid defense.

Also see him re-signing for anywhere from 2-4 years at $5M (obviously not gonna make more than Benn). The organization has shown that they view him as a long-term asset, he seems to enjoy it here, and with the cap going down, I'd be quite surprised if anyone offered him much more than that.

For anyone thinking we need to let him go to make room for Faksa, what happens if Faksa ends up being a bust? Shore, Molin, and Smith are all longshots to ever even make the NHL (except Shore as maybe a 4th liner), much less be a #2 center. And Eakin is the kind of guy contenders have centering their 3rd line. I think he ends up being a Bolland-esque player, very similar games.

LatvianTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:43 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Roy's strong enough defensively to be a decent to good 3rd line center. I think he'll rebound though, not to the extent he was at during his peak, but still 60-70 points a season with solid defense.

Also see him re-signing for anywhere from 2-4 years at $5M (obviously not gonna make more than Benn). The organization has shown that they view him as a long-term asset, he seems to enjoy it here, and with the cap going down, I'd be quite surprised if anyone offered him much more than that.

For anyone thinking we need to let him go to make room for Faksa, what happens if Faksa ends up being a bust? Shore, Molin, and Smith are all longshots to ever even make the NHL (except Shore as maybe a 4th liner), much less be a #2 center. And Eakin is the kind of guy contenders have centering their 3rd line. I think he ends up being a Bolland-esque player, very similar games.
Washington, perhaps.

StarsFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:43 PM
Primetimey

Ott for Kassian? Talk about dreaming.

Primetimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:46 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primetimey View Post
Ott for Kassian? Talk about dreaming.
Another player benefiting from a James Neal-like scenario. He gets top-line minutes with the Sedins and hence he's potting those goals. Kassian wasn't doing all that well in Buffalo.

StarsFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:03 PM
ginblossoms

Send a message via ICQ to ginblossoms
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
sounds like a #1C to me... and at the very least a very good #2. roy is good. a good complement to benn. sign him up.

eakin is what we wanted wandell to become. he's a perfect #3 who can move up to the top 6 when called upon. or steve ott without the baggage.

ginblossoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:07 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginblossoms View Post
sounds like a #1C to me... and at the very least a very good #2. roy is good. a good complement to benn. sign him up.

eakin is what we wanted wandell to become. he's a perfect #3 who can move up to the top 6 when called upon. or steve ott without the baggage.
Bergeron-lite. A great #2, borderline #1.

Oh, and if Roy wants 5-6 years, I really don't see why we shouldn't give it to him. If Faksa does turn out, trade Roy for a great return and let Faksa fill in, or just move Benn back to wing if all else fails. Too much depth at one position is never a bad problem to have. And really, the only place we look to be lacking in that going forward is defense. Wingers look deep enough going forward, centers shouldn't be an issue, (probably a bit early to consider either of these deep though) and we're already deep at goaltending.

LatvianTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:27 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

Maybe I'm down on Roy but call me skeptical at this point. I don't want him on this team for 3-5 years if he can't stay healthy and doesn't really produce. Eakin may not be ready for it but at this point if things continue toward a firesale I'd rather move Roy and play Eakin @#2 because regardless this team isn't competing this year and unless drastic measures are taken with the defense next year is doomed too.

I don't know that there will be a lot of 1st round picks available this deadline but if you make Ryder, Roy, Jagr, Morrow, Fiddler, and Robidas available we could probably pick up enough 2nds and prospects to move up at the draft at least once. Can someone tell me when the trade deadline is this season, please?

I've been on the blow it up and play the kids bandwagon for two seasons. I think they're finally convincing you guys to come to my side. What a pathetic display of hockey outside of Cody Eakin. As good as that kid is, he cannot be your best player night in and night out and expect this team to win. That was against freaking Columbus. There should be a four hour bus ride of shame tomorrow for these guys.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote