HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Idea for new Overtime Penalty Rule

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-27-2013, 11:57 PM
  #1
Doctor King Schultz
Garian Maborik
 
Doctor King Schultz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,172
vCash: 500
Idea for new Overtime Penalty Rule

In the scenario that a team takes a penalty with less than 2 minutes left in Overtime during the Regular Season: What do you guys think about extending the 5 minute period by whatever time is left on the penalty when Overtime would have ended? That way the team gets a full power play.

I feel like teams get short changed when they get a power play near the end of overtime because the advantage cannot be carried over to the shootout.

In most cases it would probably extend overtime by a minute or two unless a 5 minute major or double minor is called.

Doctor King Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:01 AM
  #2
muckbin15
parros16
 
muckbin15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Charlottetown, PEI
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,719
vCash: 133
ive always wanted this rule. it happens in nhl 13 when you go into ot and the visitor takes a tripping call with like 5 seconds left. does absolutely nothing for you so maysil give that team a chance

muckbin15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:08 AM
  #3
drs151
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,286
vCash: 500
of all the rules purposed on here, some of which are ridiculous, this is one of the best ones ive ever heard. I honestly was thinking about this today, but my mindset was on a penalty shot. I like you`re idea much better.

inb4 adds to much hockey to the season.

drs151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 07:37 AM
  #4
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt
 
Buck Aki Berg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by drs151 View Post
of all the rules purposed on here, some of which are ridiculous, this is one of the best ones ive ever heard. I honestly was thinking about this today, but my mindset was on a penalty shot. I like you`re idea much better.
Personally, I think either would result in officials not wanting to make chincy calls. I think you'd have to murder someone to get the ref to put his arm up.

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 07:51 AM
  #5
Shwag33
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,927
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post
Personally, I think either would result in officials not wanting to make chincy calls. I think you'd have to murder someone to get the ref to put his arm up.


Still a good rule though... even if it rarely gets implemented.

Shwag33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:30 AM
  #6
Nick0930
Registered User
 
Nick0930's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,233
vCash: 500
Not if the referees continue making bad penalty calls. Why should a team have to pay even more for the ref being blind/stupid?

Nick0930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:43 AM
  #7
BROOKLYnKNIGHTS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garian Maborik View Post
In the scenario that a team takes a penalty with less than 2 minutes left in Overtime during the Regular Season: What do you guys think about extending the 5 minute period by whatever time is left on the penalty when Overtime would have ended? That way the team gets a full power play.

I feel like teams get short changed when they get a power play near the end of overtime because the advantage cannot be carried over to the shootout.

In most cases it would probably extend overtime by a minute or two unless a 5 minute major or double minor is called.
No way does this make any sense. If that is the rule you state then your not taking in account during non OT play because the same thing happens in the third period when a team has a 5 on 3 after they pull the goalie.

BROOKLYnKNIGHTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:51 AM
  #8
Pourquoi pas
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 116
vCash: 500
Not that I agree with the idea, but why do you propose this only for overtime? The same argument could be made about regulation time - e.g. when a team is one goal short and gets a powerplay when there's less than 2 minutes left.. Should they also get full 2 minutes? Of course not.

Pourquoi pas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:55 AM
  #9
Doctor King Schultz
Garian Maborik
 
Doctor King Schultz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,172
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOKLYnKNIGHTS View Post
No way does this make any sense. If that is the rule you state then your not taking in account during non OT play because the same thing happens in the third period when a team has a 5 on 3 after they pull the goalie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pourquoi pas View Post
Not that I agree with the idea, but why do you propose this only for overtime? The same argument could be made about regulation time - e.g. when a team is one goal short and gets a powerplay when there's less than 2 minutes left.. Should they also get full 2 minutes? Of course not.
Believe me I thought about Regulation.

I am proposing it only for Overtime because the game is still tied. Power plays that are still going on at the end of Regulation carry over to Overtime but not from Overtime to shootout. If one of the teams has the lead at the end of Regulation they win the game and thats it. The other team simply ran out of time.

They already have this rule in the playoffs since there is continuous Overtime and the penalties carry over.

During Overtime, the game is still tied. I believe the team that has to kill a penalty in the closing minute of Overtime gets an unfair break in a tie game when Overtime ends before the penalty expires.

Doctor King Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:11 AM
  #10
Roomtemperature
Registered User
 
Roomtemperature's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4,074
vCash: 500
I've proposed it some time on the board. Nobody then seemed receptive. Maybe because I had it for if the team up a goal took a penalty it extended the game. (or how ever many penalties you took to goals down so 5 on 3 or double minor with two goals down play on til there a penalty expires or two goals.)

Roomtemperature is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:16 AM
  #11
SerenityRick
Registered User
 
SerenityRick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Moultonborough, NH
Country: United States
Posts: 14,009
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Not a bad idea.. personally, the only change I'd like to see in OT is making it 10 minutes instead of 5. I definitely feel as though there are a lot more scoring chances 4on4 and I'd much prefer the game ending with some semblance of a team effort.

SerenityRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:19 AM
  #12
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13
 
No Fun Shogun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 24,931
vCash: 1
Sounds like a type of rule that I wouldn't mind to see implemented, but wouldn't be up in arms if they never even considered it, either.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:21 AM
  #13
Flat Stanley
Registered User
 
Flat Stanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,215
vCash: 500
Too many teams would get screwed, these refs call too many questionable calls.

Flat Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:24 AM
  #14
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,447
vCash: 2650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
Too many teams would get screwed, these refs call too many questionable calls.
So they shouldn't make a rule change that makes sense just because teams would inevitably get screwed? Teams get screwed all the time. Should they remove penalties altogether? That would stop all the screw jobs going around.

__________________
++++++++++[>+++++++>++++++++++>+++>+<<<<
-]>++++++.>+.+++++++++++++++.>+++++++++.<-.
>-------.<<-----.>----.>.<<+++++++++++.>-------------
-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." -31-
Kane One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:24 AM
  #15
Pi
Registered User
 
Pi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,941
vCash: 100
I think 10 minutes of 4 on 4 would nearly eliminate the shoot out.

I like this rule but the NHL doesn't really have good referees. I'm pretty sure that on each day there is at least one team that loses a game or a point because of the refs.

Especially since this is after the lockout, the refs are just calling everything. There is so much PP time given to each team.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:37 AM
  #16
Flat Stanley
Registered User
 
Flat Stanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
So they shouldn't make a rule change that makes sense just because teams would inevitably get screwed? Teams get screwed all the time. Should they remove penalties altogether? That would stop all the screw jobs going around.
Did I say that?

With the way refs have been calling penalties in the last couple of seasons, why add an OT rule where a team gets a full 2 minute power play and extend OT?

The game is fine the way it is, they don't need anymore rules.

Flat Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:12 PM
  #17
Patriks7
Registered User
 
Patriks7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 603
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pourquoi pas View Post
Not that I agree with the idea, but why do you propose this only for overtime? The same argument could be made about regulation time - e.g. when a team is one goal short and gets a powerplay when there's less than 2 minutes left.. Should they also get full 2 minutes? Of course not.
If the game is tied, like this scenario, they do. It goes to OT.

Patriks7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:20 PM
  #18
OOOOIIIO
Binary
 
OOOOIIIO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Nashua, NH
Country: United States
Posts: 1,739
vCash: 500
Why not just let them keep playing till a whistle is blown... (not a legit idea, being sarcastic)...

Just leave the game the way it is. If your losing you dont magically get more time added just because you had a penalty commited against you. Why should this be implemented in overtime then?

OOOOIIIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:23 PM
  #19
hurricanedave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 142
vCash: 500
Couple concerns, your team is on the power play and overtime has been extended for you. What happens when your team takes a penalty? Is it game over or does the game extend to cover your opponents power play? Where is the line drawn?

hurricanedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:25 PM
  #20
CpatainCanuck
Registered User
 
CpatainCanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,702
vCash: 500
Why not implement "injury time" like they have in soccer, and just let the ref decide when the game should end? In a way that's what you're proposing.

CpatainCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:32 PM
  #21
Harpo
Lyle forever
 
Harpo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 900
vCash: 500
Not sure this is the best solution, but that would take care of a loophole.

I mean let's say we have this situation:

10 seconds remaining in the 3rd, your team leads by 1, faceoff in your zone.

Couldn't all players from your team bear hug an opponent as soon as the puck is dropped? Since you won't be touching the puck, there's no way a penalty will be called before the period is over, and your opponent won't score either.

Or would there be a rule for that? Delay of game? Unsportsmanlike?

Harpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:36 PM
  #22
Doctor King Schultz
Garian Maborik
 
Doctor King Schultz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,172
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brovalchuk View Post
Why not just let them keep playing till a whistle is blown... (not a legit idea, being sarcastic)...

Just leave the game the way it is. If your losing you dont magically get more time added just because you had a penalty commited against you. Why should this be implemented in overtime then?
This idea stems from the popular belief that shootouts are a terrible way to decide a hockey game. I don't understand your argument though. I don't see how extending regulation when you are losing because you are on a power play (which I think is a terrible idea) is the same as extending a tie Overtime game so that a team gets to use their power play advantage rather than having it squandered in a shootout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricanedave View Post
Couple concerns, your team is on the power play and overtime has been extended for you. What happens when your team takes a penalty? Is it game over or does the game extend to cover your opponents power play? Where is the line drawn?
Interesting point. I didn't think about that, but I would say the game would go to the shootout when the whistle is blown for the penalty against the team who was on the power play.

Doctor King Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:36 PM
  #23
OOOOIIIO
Binary
 
OOOOIIIO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Nashua, NH
Country: United States
Posts: 1,739
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CpatainCanuck View Post
Why not implement "injury time" like they have in soccer, and just let the ref decide when the game should end? In a way that's what you're proposing.
Lets not give the refs more power than they already have. Terrible idea.

Here is a crazy idea, if tim expires in OT with 1 team on the PP we go to this thing we will call a shootout. And whoever scores more goals out of 3 chances wins. If its still tied go to sudden death. I know... its a crazy idea, but I think it just might work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garian Maborik View Post
This idea stems from the popular belief that shootouts are a terrible way to decide a hockey game. I don't understand your argument though. I don't see how extending regulation when you are losing because you are on a power play (which I think is a terrible idea) is the same as extending a tie Overtime game so that a team gets to use their power play advantage rather than having it squandered in a shootout.



Interesting point. I didn't think about that, but I would say the game would go to the shootout when the whistle is blown for the penalty against the team who was on the power play.
You cant magically extend time in OT and not give the same benefit to a losing team in regulation. You are giving a team in OT extra time with an advantage to win. Extending regulation is giving extra time to a losing team to tie. In both cases you are giving a team an uneeded opportunity at a point in the standings. I dont see how you cant see them being similar.

OOOOIIIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:37 PM
  #24
CpatainCanuck
Registered User
 
CpatainCanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpo View Post
Not sure this is the best solution, but that would take care of a loophole.

I mean let's say we have this situation:

10 seconds remaining in the 3rd, your team leads by 1, faceoff in your zone.

Couldn't all players from your team bear hug an opponent as soon as the puck is dropped? Since you won't be touching the puck, there's no way a penalty will be called before the period is over, and your opponent won't score either.

Or would there be a rule for that? Delay of game? Unsportsmanlike?
I've never seen an example of this being done in a game (4 players bear-hugging their checks at the end of a games). Truthfully bear-hugging a player without the puck is not a good method of defence. So this isn't really a loophole that needs to be closed at the moment.

CpatainCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:41 PM
  #25
Doctor King Schultz
Garian Maborik
 
Doctor King Schultz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,172
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brovalchuk View Post
Lets not give the refs more power than they already have. Terrible idea.

Here is a crazy idea, if tim expires in OT with 1 team on the PP we go to this thing we will call a shootout. And whoever scores more goals out of 3 chances wins. If its still tied go to sudden death. I know... its a crazy idea, but I think it just might work.
I just wish they would go to sudden-death continuous Overtime to begin with but obviously it is too much for the players to sustain. They should try continuous 4 on 4, but I guess there would still be those games that go to double or triple overtime.

I've heard the arguments (a) its too much fatigue on the players - which I believe, and (b) it creates problems for the networks broadcasting the games. I don't see why baseball games are allowed to go to unlimited extra innings if the second issue is such a big deal.

Doctor King Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:21 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.