HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Idea for new Overtime Penalty Rule

Old
01-27-2013, 11:57 PM
Doctor King Schultz
Garian Maborik

vCash: 500
Idea for new Overtime Penalty Rule

In the scenario that a team takes a penalty with less than 2 minutes left in Overtime during the Regular Season: What do you guys think about extending the 5 minute period by whatever time is left on the penalty when Overtime would have ended? That way the team gets a full power play.

I feel like teams get short changed when they get a power play near the end of overtime because the advantage cannot be carried over to the shootout.

In most cases it would probably extend overtime by a minute or two unless a 5 minute major or double minor is called.

Doctor King Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:01 AM
muckbin15
parros16

vCash: 133
ive always wanted this rule. it happens in nhl 13 when you go into ot and the visitor takes a tripping call with like 5 seconds left. does absolutely nothing for you so maysil give that team a chance

muckbin15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:08 AM
drs151

of all the rules purposed on here, some of which are ridiculous, this is one of the best ones ive ever heard. I honestly was thinking about this today, but my mindset was on a penalty shot. I like you`re idea much better.

inb4 adds to much hockey to the season.

drs151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 07:37 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs151 View Post
of all the rules purposed on here, some of which are ridiculous, this is one of the best ones ive ever heard. I honestly was thinking about this today, but my mindset was on a penalty shot. I like you`re idea much better.
Personally, I think either would result in officials not wanting to make chincy calls. I think you'd have to murder someone to get the ref to put his arm up.

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 07:51 AM
Shwag33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post
Personally, I think either would result in officials not wanting to make chincy calls. I think you'd have to murder someone to get the ref to put his arm up.

Still a good rule though... even if it rarely gets implemented.

Shwag33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:30 AM
Nick0930

Not if the referees continue making bad penalty calls. Why should a team have to pay even more for the ref being blind/stupid?

Nick0930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:43 AM
BROOKLYnKNIGHTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garian Maborik View Post
In the scenario that a team takes a penalty with less than 2 minutes left in Overtime during the Regular Season: What do you guys think about extending the 5 minute period by whatever time is left on the penalty when Overtime would have ended? That way the team gets a full power play.

I feel like teams get short changed when they get a power play near the end of overtime because the advantage cannot be carried over to the shootout.

In most cases it would probably extend overtime by a minute or two unless a 5 minute major or double minor is called.
No way does this make any sense. If that is the rule you state then your not taking in account during non OT play because the same thing happens in the third period when a team has a 5 on 3 after they pull the goalie.

BROOKLYnKNIGHTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:51 AM
Pourquoi pas

Not that I agree with the idea, but why do you propose this only for overtime? The same argument could be made about regulation time - e.g. when a team is one goal short and gets a powerplay when there's less than 2 minutes left.. Should they also get full 2 minutes? Of course not.

Pourquoi pas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:55 AM
Doctor King Schultz
Garian Maborik

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOKLYnKNIGHTS View Post
No way does this make any sense. If that is the rule you state then your not taking in account during non OT play because the same thing happens in the third period when a team has a 5 on 3 after they pull the goalie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pourquoi pas View Post
Not that I agree with the idea, but why do you propose this only for overtime? The same argument could be made about regulation time - e.g. when a team is one goal short and gets a powerplay when there's less than 2 minutes left.. Should they also get full 2 minutes? Of course not.
Believe me I thought about Regulation.

I am proposing it only for Overtime because the game is still tied. Power plays that are still going on at the end of Regulation carry over to Overtime but not from Overtime to shootout. If one of the teams has the lead at the end of Regulation they win the game and thats it. The other team simply ran out of time.

They already have this rule in the playoffs since there is continuous Overtime and the penalties carry over.

During Overtime, the game is still tied. I believe the team that has to kill a penalty in the closing minute of Overtime gets an unfair break in a tie game when Overtime ends before the penalty expires.

Old
01-28-2013, 10:11 AM
Roomtemperature

I've proposed it some time on the board. Nobody then seemed receptive. Maybe because I had it for if the team up a goal took a penalty it extended the game. (or how ever many penalties you took to goals down so 5 on 3 or double minor with two goals down play on til there a penalty expires or two goals.)

Roomtemperature is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:16 AM
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Not a bad idea.. personally, the only change I'd like to see in OT is making it 10 minutes instead of 5. I definitely feel as though there are a lot more scoring chances 4on4 and I'd much prefer the game ending with some semblance of a team effort.

SerenityRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:19 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Sounds like a type of rule that I wouldn't mind to see implemented, but wouldn't be up in arms if they never even considered it, either.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:21 AM
Flat Stanley

Too many teams would get screwed, these refs call too many questionable calls.

Flat Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:24 AM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
Too many teams would get screwed, these refs call too many questionable calls.
So they shouldn't make a rule change that makes sense just because teams would inevitably get screwed? Teams get screwed all the time. Should they remove penalties altogether? That would stop all the screw jobs going around.

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." -31-
Kane One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:24 AM
Pi

vCash: 100
I think 10 minutes of 4 on 4 would nearly eliminate the shoot out.

I like this rule but the NHL doesn't really have good referees. I'm pretty sure that on each day there is at least one team that loses a game or a point because of the refs.

Especially since this is after the lockout, the refs are just calling everything. There is so much PP time given to each team.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:37 AM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
So they shouldn't make a rule change that makes sense just because teams would inevitably get screwed? Teams get screwed all the time. Should they remove penalties altogether? That would stop all the screw jobs going around.
Did I say that?

With the way refs have been calling penalties in the last couple of seasons, why add an OT rule where a team gets a full 2 minute power play and extend OT?

The game is fine the way it is, they don't need anymore rules.

Flat Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:12 PM
Patriks7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pourquoi pas View Post
If the game is tied, like this scenario, they do. It goes to OT.

Patriks7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:20 PM
OOOOIIIO
Binary

Why not just let them keep playing till a whistle is blown... (not a legit idea, being sarcastic)...

Just leave the game the way it is. If your losing you dont magically get more time added just because you had a penalty commited against you. Why should this be implemented in overtime then?

OOOOIIIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:23 PM
hurricanedave

Couple concerns, your team is on the power play and overtime has been extended for you. What happens when your team takes a penalty? Is it game over or does the game extend to cover your opponents power play? Where is the line drawn?

hurricanedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:25 PM
CpatainCanuck

Why not implement "injury time" like they have in soccer, and just let the ref decide when the game should end? In a way that's what you're proposing.

CpatainCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:32 PM
Harpo
Lyle forever

Not sure this is the best solution, but that would take care of a loophole.

I mean let's say we have this situation:

10 seconds remaining in the 3rd, your team leads by 1, faceoff in your zone.

Couldn't all players from your team bear hug an opponent as soon as the puck is dropped? Since you won't be touching the puck, there's no way a penalty will be called before the period is over, and your opponent won't score either.

Or would there be a rule for that? Delay of game? Unsportsmanlike?

Harpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:36 PM
Doctor King Schultz
Garian Maborik

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brovalchuk View Post
Why not just let them keep playing till a whistle is blown... (not a legit idea, being sarcastic)...

Just leave the game the way it is. If your losing you dont magically get more time added just because you had a penalty commited against you. Why should this be implemented in overtime then?
This idea stems from the popular belief that shootouts are a terrible way to decide a hockey game. I don't understand your argument though. I don't see how extending regulation when you are losing because you are on a power play (which I think is a terrible idea) is the same as extending a tie Overtime game so that a team gets to use their power play advantage rather than having it squandered in a shootout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricanedave View Post
Couple concerns, your team is on the power play and overtime has been extended for you. What happens when your team takes a penalty? Is it game over or does the game extend to cover your opponents power play? Where is the line drawn?
Interesting point. I didn't think about that, but I would say the game would go to the shootout when the whistle is blown for the penalty against the team who was on the power play.

Old
01-28-2013, 12:36 PM
OOOOIIIO
Binary

Quote:
Originally Posted by CpatainCanuck View Post
Why not implement "injury time" like they have in soccer, and just let the ref decide when the game should end? In a way that's what you're proposing.
Lets not give the refs more power than they already have. Terrible idea.

Here is a crazy idea, if tim expires in OT with 1 team on the PP we go to this thing we will call a shootout. And whoever scores more goals out of 3 chances wins. If its still tied go to sudden death. I know... its a crazy idea, but I think it just might work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garian Maborik View Post
This idea stems from the popular belief that shootouts are a terrible way to decide a hockey game. I don't understand your argument though. I don't see how extending regulation when you are losing because you are on a power play (which I think is a terrible idea) is the same as extending a tie Overtime game so that a team gets to use their power play advantage rather than having it squandered in a shootout.

Interesting point. I didn't think about that, but I would say the game would go to the shootout when the whistle is blown for the penalty against the team who was on the power play.
You cant magically extend time in OT and not give the same benefit to a losing team in regulation. You are giving a team in OT extra time with an advantage to win. Extending regulation is giving extra time to a losing team to tie. In both cases you are giving a team an uneeded opportunity at a point in the standings. I dont see how you cant see them being similar.

OOOOIIIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:37 PM
CpatainCanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpo View Post
Not sure this is the best solution, but that would take care of a loophole.

I mean let's say we have this situation:

10 seconds remaining in the 3rd, your team leads by 1, faceoff in your zone.

Couldn't all players from your team bear hug an opponent as soon as the puck is dropped? Since you won't be touching the puck, there's no way a penalty will be called before the period is over, and your opponent won't score either.

Or would there be a rule for that? Delay of game? Unsportsmanlike?
I've never seen an example of this being done in a game (4 players bear-hugging their checks at the end of a games). Truthfully bear-hugging a player without the puck is not a good method of defence. So this isn't really a loophole that needs to be closed at the moment.

CpatainCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:41 PM
Doctor King Schultz
Garian Maborik

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brovalchuk View Post
Lets not give the refs more power than they already have. Terrible idea.

Here is a crazy idea, if tim expires in OT with 1 team on the PP we go to this thing we will call a shootout. And whoever scores more goals out of 3 chances wins. If its still tied go to sudden death. I know... its a crazy idea, but I think it just might work.
I just wish they would go to sudden-death continuous Overtime to begin with but obviously it is too much for the players to sustain. They should try continuous 4 on 4, but I guess there would still be those games that go to double or triple overtime.

I've heard the arguments (a) its too much fatigue on the players - which I believe, and (b) it creates problems for the networks broadcasting the games. I don't see why baseball games are allowed to go to unlimited extra innings if the second issue is such a big deal.