HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Lower GAA = Blocked shots

Old
02-11-2013, 05:13 PM
Hawkaholic

vCash: 500
Lower GAA = Blocked shots

I was curious to see if there were any telling stats as to why Chicago has improved so dramatically in the GA department.

The 1st thing I looked at was blocked shots.

Last year,

23rd with 551 blks = 6.7/game

This year,

1st with 137 blks or 937 over an 82gm season = 11.5/game

Obviously there are many factors contributing to the success, but imo, this is one of the more important ones. Hopefully the guys continue to lay their body on the line!!

Hawkaholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 05:20 PM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

The defense has improved and is playing well together. Not necessarily a stat, but that's what I'm seeing. Crawford also seems to just be playing better overall.

TorMenT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 05:27 PM
TwistedWrister90
Stanley Cup Q

Great depth at D, improved play from Crawford, blocked shots, the Hawks controlling the puck. It all contributes

TwistedWrister90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 05:33 PM
BronYrAur

Well considering the Hawks are only giving up 27.6 shots against per game compared to 28.6 shots against per game last year, that leads me to believe it could be that the Hawks are actually playing in their own zone a bit more.

And that the lower goals-against/game has more to do with the stellar play in goal.

BronYrAur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 06:01 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BronYrAur View Post
Well considering the Hawks are only giving up 27.6 shots against per game compared to 28.6 shots against per game last year, that leads me to believe it could be that the Hawks are actually playing in their own zone a bit more.

And that the lower goals-against/game has more to do with the stellar play in goal.
More blocked shots = less shots on goal and better goaltending stats. Not saying the goaltending or better overall play isn't contributing just as much, just thought the difference in blocked shots was very noteworthy.

Old
02-11-2013, 06:15 PM
BronYrAur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
More blocked shots = less shots on goal and better goaltending stats. Not saying the goaltending or better overall play isn't contributing just as much, just thought the difference in blocked shots was very noteworthy.
It's certainly noteworthy. It's encouraging to see players giving it up to keep pucks out of the net.

However, it may also mean that the Hawks are not possessing the puck as much as it seems. And that is not encouraging.

BronYrAur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 07:59 PM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

The result of the GA is a result of a team playing better, as a team and as individuals. The team mode on D is better then in the past especially on the PK. Kompon may still have to tweak the PP but the PK is fantastic. No longer standing around and waiting for teams to shoot the puck they are attacking the puck and forcing the issue.

As players just about everyone is playing better, including standouts like Hammer, who looks like a different player. He is the best D-man on the team this year doing everything and playing so well. Kruger, Frolik, and some of the other role players are playing very well, going a great job of getting back and playing well. Crawford has been very very solid too. A few bad goals but not the same goalie as last year. The game against SJ to me what the turning point for my belief in him. Last year after giving up a couple of bad goals he melts down and the game turns into a blow out, this year he has settled down and gotten back into the game and made some key saves.

When you add all that up you get a team that is playing great hockey.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 08:23 PM
massivegoonery

Blocked shots is sort of a **** statistic by itself. If you're getting shelled, you'll have more blocked shots so it's got a high correlation with shots against, something a good team shouldn't have many of.

A less lazy man would calculate blocked shots as a percentage of shots attempted but... here we are.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 05:18 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Crawford stopped being too agressiv, Crawford stopped with those bad bad goals against. MUCH improved team D

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:18 PM
vikingsdidWTC

There is no correlation between blocked shots and any form of team success. If anything, blocked shots might correlate with weak play. Last season Los Angeles and New Jersey, the cup finalists, were second to last and last in blocked shots respectively. Chicago, Vancouver and Detroit rounded out the bottom five. The Islanders led the league.

vikingsdidWTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 03:02 PM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingsdidWTC View Post
There is no correlation between blocked shots and any form of team success. If anything, blocked shots might correlate with weak play. Last season Los Angeles and New Jersey, the cup finalists, were second to last and last in blocked shots respectively. Chicago, Vancouver and Detroit rounded out the bottom five. The Islanders led the league.
This.

deytookerjaabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 03:07 PM
Marotte Marauder

Interesting theory Hawkoholic but don't know if it's valid. A better stat to use would probably be "quality scoring chances". I think that would be better than save %, blocked shots or anything else.

Close in rebound shots probably have a scoring % through the roof, eliminate those opps and success will surely follow.

Marotte Marauder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 04:51 PM
Hawkaholic

I was posting more about how many blocked shots we have in comparison to last year than stating it's the sole reason for a lower GA. But, the fact our guys are more willing to block shots this year is reflecting on the defensive side of the game. Crow said the other day how much it means to a goalie for guys to lay their body on the line.

Obviously there are many factors for a lower GA, but to this team, blocked shots are huge imo. I don't know how many goals were scored last year through bodies from the point. It plays a big part in our PK too.

Old
02-12-2013, 05:46 PM
vikingsdidWTC

Quote:
I was posting more about how many blocked shots we have in comparison to last year than stating it's the sole reason for a lower GA. But, the fact our guys are more willing to block shots this year is reflecting on the defensive side of the game. Crow said the other day how much it means to a goalie for guys to lay their body on the line.

Obviously there are many factors for a lower GA, but to this team, blocked shots are huge imo. I don't know how many goals were scored last year through bodies from the point. It plays a big part in our PK too.
Fine, but it's impossible to determine why players on a given team might be blocking more (or fewer) shots than in the past or how it relates to any other outcome or statistic, particularly after as few as 10 or 12 games. Usually it's because they're giving up too many quality chances.

Last edited by vikingsdidWTC: 02-12-2013 at 05:58 PM.
Old
02-12-2013, 05:52 PM
vikingsdidWTC

Quote:
More blocked shots in a particular sequence of plays, all other factors remaining unchanged, results in fewer shots on goal in that sequence. More blocked shots overall, even in a sample size as small as 10 or 12 games, almost always goes hand in hand with more shots on goal, poorer goaltending statistics and weaker teams, although not in this case obviously. Weaker teams almost always block more shots, period. It's good to know how and when to do it, and it's good to be willing to do it. It's never good to have to do it, and teams that regularly find themselves hemmed in and needing to block shots usually block more of them.

Old
02-12-2013, 06:47 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingsdidWTC View Post
More blocked shots in a particular sequence of plays, all other factors remaining unchanged, results in fewer shots on goal in that sequence. More blocked shots overall, even in a sample size as small as 10 or 12 games, almost always goes hand in hand with more shots on goal, poorer goaltending statistics and weaker teams, although not in this case obviously. Weaker teams almost always block more shots, period. It's good to know how and when to do it, and it's good to be willing to do it. It's never good to have to do it, and teams that regularly find themselves hemmed in and needing to block shots usually block more of them.
I think when you mentioned "know how to" you hit the nail on the head. They have learned how to block the shots they need to block. And watching the games, I can tell you there isn't near as much time of possession by the opposition as last year, and there aren't as many quality scoring opportunities, either. So I think people can stop looking at the negative side of it.

And there were good to great teams spread out all over the BLK shots list, like the Rangers, Nashville, and Philly in the top 10.

All I am trying to say is the team is looking more willing to block shots this year, and that, along with better positioning, better goaltending, and smarter plays etc. are contributing big time to our lower GAA.