HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dave Bolland questions????

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-09-2013, 12:01 PM
  #1
Marotte Marauder
Registered User
 
Marotte Marauder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,575
vCash: 500
Dave Bolland questions????

Why is Bolland the only minus player on his line?

Why is Bolland the lowest scoring forward in the top 9?

Why is Bolland performing poorly at the dot?

Marotte Marauder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 12:16 PM
  #2
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo
 
HockeySensible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,844
vCash: 500
These are the questions that haunt me.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 12:22 PM
  #3
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User
 
deytookerjaabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,476
vCash: 500
He's ****in lazy and we don't discuss that enough. He has another gear. I remember being at a game against the Leafs last year and he put about 50% effort into every play for the first 10 minutes of the game which cost us 1-2 goals against. Q reamed him out on the bench and then he tore it up the rest of the game. Maybe he floats a lot to avoid injury but I'd say 75% of his ice time this season he showed little interest in being a dominant individual.

deytookerjaabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 12:24 PM
  #4
Bubba88
Toews = Savior
 
Bubba88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bavaria
Country: Germany
Posts: 24,249
vCash: 500
Why is Oduya the team leader in +/-?
Why is it important how many points he has?

WHO THE HELL CARES? 20 out of 22 points and we still see "I like to bash our own players".
Odd timing after Bolland just scored the GWG in the last game

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 12:27 PM
  #5
hockeydoug
Registered User
 
hockeydoug's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,587
vCash: 500
I prefer we answer these questions after he has a bad game.

hockeydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 12:51 PM
  #6
Hawkaholic
Registered User
 
Hawkaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,453
vCash: 500
Shoulf of kept Brouwer instead.

Hawkaholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 12:52 PM
  #7
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo
 
HockeySensible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,844
vCash: 500
We shoulf of done alot of things.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 12:54 PM
  #8
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!
 
TorMenT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Rockford, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 3,893
vCash: 500
I think Bolland has the lowest plus minus on his line because Sharp and Kane are getting more points on the PP. The other 2, there's lots of factors, not worth worrying about when the whole team is playing the way it is right now.

TorMenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 12:58 PM
  #9
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo
 
HockeySensible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,844
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorMenT View Post
I think Bolland has the lowest plus minus on his line because Sharp and Kane are getting more points on the PP. The other 2, there's lots of factors, not worth worrying about when the whole team is playing the way it is right now.
Powerplay points don't affect plus-minus. +/- is pretty much useless anyways and it's not like Bolland's far worse than anyone else. He's -2. Most of the forwards are hovering around +2 or +3.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 01:04 PM
  #10
Hawkaholic
Registered User
 
Hawkaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,453
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marotte Marauder View Post
Why is Bolland the only minus player on his line?

Why is Bolland the lowest scoring forward in the top 9?

Why is Bolland performing poorly at the dot?
Clearly he hasn't been on the ice for as many GF as Sharp and Kane.

He isn't, he's actually tied for 7th. Saad is the lowest scoring forward in the top 9.

Bolland has always performed poorly at the dot.

Hope that answers your questions.

Hawkaholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 01:17 PM
  #11
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'
 
IU Hawks fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: No longer IU
Country: United States
Posts: 18,820
vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
Powerplay points don't affect plus-minus. +/- is pretty much useless anyways and it's not like Bolland's far worse than anyone else. He's -2. Most of the forwards are hovering around +2 or +3.
+/- only really matters for defensemen, IMO. For forwards it's beyond useless.

IU Hawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 01:21 PM
  #12
Sevanston
Moderator
 
Sevanston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 10,744
vCash: 500
Inconsistent in the regular season, 200 foot warrior in the playoffs.

This has always been Bolland's MO. Not that it excuses what we're seeing right now.

Sevanston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 01:29 PM
  #13
committedindian86
Flip The Switch
 
committedindian86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 3,985
vCash: 500
He's always been below average in the circle, he shuts down top scorers (I.e. the Sedins) in the playoffs and that's why he's still a Top 9 forward

committedindian86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 02:30 PM
  #14
Marotte Marauder
Registered User
 
Marotte Marauder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,575
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
Why is Oduya the team leader in +/-?
Why is it important how many points he has?

WHO THE HELL CARES? 20 out of 22 points and we still see "I like to bash our own players".
Odd timing after Bolland just scored the GWG in the last game

Why would it be odd timing to address issues at anytime? You brought that up with a Kruger post as well. The time to analyze and reflect is not when the sky is falling. By then it's kinda too late don't you think.

Marotte Marauder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 02:47 PM
  #15
puterwiz53
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 190
vCash: 500
A good coach and GM will definitely look at issues when they arise and the issue with Bolland should be an issue that they look at now to see if they can push him to play the way he is capable of. Also with Bolland always having been a 3rd line shut down center for the Hawks, playing 2nd line center is a whole new ballgame for him which is no doubt taking him time to adjust to. He is far better suited as a 3rd line shut down center than he is a 2nd line scoring center. I think his head is still in the shut down mode rather than the scoring mode.

puterwiz53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 03:23 PM
  #16
Blue Liner
Registered User
 
Blue Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 4,398
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
+/- only really matters for defensemen, IMO. For forwards it's beyond useless.
Why do you say that? Not agreeing or disagreeing, just curious.

Blue Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 03:30 PM
  #17
BobbyJet
Registered User
 
BobbyJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Dundas, Ontario. Can
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,238
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by puterwiz53 View Post
A good coach and GM will definitely look at issues when they arise and the issue with Bolland should be an issue that they look at now to see if they can push him to play the way he is capable of. Also with Bolland always having been a 3rd line shut down center for the Hawks, playing 2nd line center is a whole new ballgame for him which is no doubt taking him time to adjust to. He is far better suited as a 3rd line shut down center than he is a 2nd line scoring center. I think his head is still in the shut down mode rather than the scoring mode.

I think the above has some validity. I have noticed that Boland is often the trailer when it comes to entering the opps end but it's still early in the season and we're winning. Kane is ripping it up however much of that output has been on the PP but we all saw last game what Bolly can do if given the puck in scoring position. Sharp meanwhile is just now rounding into shape and has had some rotten luck and that could be a factor in Bollands low point total. Let's revisit after another 20 games. I reckon things will be diferent.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:07 PM
  #18
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!
 
Sir Psycho T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Redwood City, CA
Posts: 3,629
vCash: 500
Why do people keep questioning Bolland.

He is who he is, will he ever be a 30 goal scorer, no, will he ever be a top 5 player in points no, will he ever lead the team in FO% no.

What he is though is a warrior and monster in the play-offs willing to battle and one of the few players on this team willing to do whatever it takes to win. He will shutdown other teams top players and get them out of their game.

I am fine with the Bolland we have and don't want him to be anything else and as the record shows we don't need him to be anything else.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 08:29 PM
  #19
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'
 
IU Hawks fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: No longer IU
Country: United States
Posts: 18,820
vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Liner View Post
Why do you say that? Not agreeing or disagreeing, just curious.
I just don't think it's a a good gauge of anything for a majority of FWDs.

IU Hawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 08:36 PM
  #20
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo
 
HockeySensible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,844
vCash: 500
My stance on +/- is that, for the most part, it really is useless. The only exceptions, IMO, are when a player if far and away the best or far and away the worst and I don't think it has as much to do with defensive play as it has to do with making things happen when you're on the ice.

Andrew Brunette was -13 last year, the next closest everday forward was Jamal Mayers at -4 (playing on the 4th line). Keeping in mind that Brunette spent most of the season on a top-6 line and Toews, Kane, Hossa and Sharp were all plus players - that's pretty awful. I would imagine, most Hawk fans would agree that Brunette was the biggest liability on the team last year, and it reflected in his +/-. Same went for Kopecky in 2010-11.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 03:35 PM
  #21
Blue Liner
Registered User
 
Blue Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 4,398
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
My stance on +/- is that, for the most part, it really is useless. The only exceptions, IMO, are when a player if far and away the best or far and away the worst and I don't think it has as much to do with defensive play as it has to do with making things happen when you're on the ice.

Andrew Brunette was -13 last year, the next closest everday forward was Jamal Mayers at -4 (playing on the 4th line). Keeping in mind that Brunette spent most of the season on a top-6 line and Toews, Kane, Hossa and Sharp were all plus players - that's pretty awful. I would imagine, most Hawk fans would agree that Brunette was the biggest liability on the team last year, and it reflected in his +/-. Same went for Kopecky in 2010-11.
That is my stance on it. If you're insanely high or insanely low, either one says a lot. Anything in between becomes more debatable and less meaningful in my opinion. I only begged the question regarding forwards vs. defensemen and it only meaning nothing for forwards. I don't think either position has more or less sway over the other but as I said, the statistic in general is a bit of flawed one in most cases.

Blue Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 03:45 PM
  #22
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'
 
IU Hawks fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: No longer IU
Country: United States
Posts: 18,820
vCash: 772
I think it can tell you a lot of a defenseman. There isn't a whole lot else to go off to gauge defensive productivity, though, so if there were better things to look at it may be different.

IU Hawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 03:46 PM
  #23
brtriad
Registered User
 
brtriad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Loop
Country: United States
Posts: 13,004
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to brtriad
My question is why are people whining when we're a quarter of the way through the season without a regulation loss?

brtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 03:48 PM
  #24
Blue Liner
Registered User
 
Blue Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 4,398
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
I think it can tell you a lot of a defenseman. There isn't a whole lot else to go off to gauge defensive productivity, though, so if there were better things to look at it may be different.
I guess it could be a little bit more telling of a d-man, but still, I think it's flawed unless it's very high or very low, one way or the other. Like you said, there's no other "defense" statistic so, it gets magnified a little more. Really comes down to just watching the games and seeing what's going on.

Blue Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 03:51 PM
  #25
xX Hot Fuss
Registered User
 
xX Hot Fuss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 10,670
vCash: 500
OP is complaining about -2???

If -2 is the worst +/- on the team then this thread is even more pointless than I originally thought

xX Hot Fuss is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:17 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.