Roster/trade/etc discussion part IV

Closed Thread

Old
01-31-2013, 02:17 PM
Exit Dose

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 View Post
Kinda the ultimate test to see if he's ready for the NHL this year. This is last game before the decision must be made right?

And why in the **** has DSP not been sent down yet?
It is.

He hasn't been sent down because that's not the type of coach that Boudreau is. He's a players coach. He's going to bench him and see how he reacts before he gets to the point that he sends him down.

Old
01-31-2013, 02:19 PM
Exit Dose

Am I the only one that thought Sbisa had a good game against Nashville? It's not his fault that his D partner was nowhere to be found.

Old
01-31-2013, 02:22 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Am I the only one that thought Sbisa had a good game against Nashville? It's not his fault that his D partner was nowhere to be found.
He wasn't bad, but IMO none of them were. The worst was Allen but he really wasn't that bad either. It's what makes this callup even more odd. How do you stick a guy in the lineup when no one is struggling?

Old
01-31-2013, 02:25 PM
Exit Dose

If it's a permanent move it would be odd, but if it's just a tryout then it's not really an issue. No one is ever completely safe.

Old
01-31-2013, 02:34 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

vCash: 1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Against Nashville? I thought he didn't look good. He's slowly improving, but for such a mobile guy he gets beat wide far too often.

I thought he looked better against San Jose, no small feat when you consider the talent different between the two. But again, he didn't look good. Just a little better than before.

Old
01-31-2013, 02:41 PM
Sean Garrity
MAGNUSIFENT!

I think if anyone should sit, defensively, I think it should be Allen. Yes, he has thrown a few good hits, but by gawd is he a pylon out there. He also can't handle the puck worth a damn, maybe he is just adjusting to the new system, but he holds the puck for like a second too late every play.

Old
01-31-2013, 02:57 PM
quentez
#8 Teemu Legend

At times, Allen seems like the second coming of Andy Sutton.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:10 PM
AngelDuck

Hope to see Etem and Palmieri in the lineup and DSP on the bench.

I'm concerned about Vatanen possibly playing against the Kings. They have huge forwards that can muscle him

Old
01-31-2013, 03:19 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Forget the Kings. I'm concerned about Vatanen in the defensive zone.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:28 PM
TheJoeMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 View Post

And why in the **** has DSP not been sent down yet?
Considering how uninspired he seemed to be in Norfolk will it do him any better than being scratched? You gotta have two spare forwards with a season like this and he's as good as any. We don't have anyone else in Norfolk with as much NHL experience so it doesn't make a lot of sense sending him down.

I'm sure a lot people are going to whine about his development but I think that's bogus. He's strong enough for the NHL and has enough experience. Sending him back won't help or hurt him in my opinion. If we had another winger that deserved a shot I'd say switch them but we don't (Maroon is a career AHLer). Let him stew watching in the pressbox so when he does slot back in he can use that as fuel to step up his game. Plus Etem hasn't proved he can stick around. Let's see how all that plays out before shuffling guys 3,000 miles away.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:42 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn Skippy View Post
Against Nashville? I thought he didn't look good. He's slowly improving, but for such a mobile guy he gets beat wide far too often.

I thought he looked better against San Jose, no small feat when you consider the talent different between the two. But again, he didn't look good. Just a little better than before.
San Jose is what I meant. I mixed up our last meeting.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:49 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quentez View Post
At times, Allen seems like the second coming of Andy Sutton.
That's funny. When we signed him I called Allen "he's what we hoped we were getting when we signed Sutton... aka the Sutton of a couple years prior"

Now it turns out we may have ended up getting the same era Sutton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoeMan View Post
Considering how uninspired he seemed to be in Norfolk will it do him any better than being scratched? You gotta have two spare forwards with a season like this and he's as good as any. We don't have anyone else in Norfolk with as much NHL experience so it doesn't make a lot of sense sending him down.

I'm sure a lot people are going to whine about his development but I think that's bogus. He's strong enough for the NHL and has enough experience. Sending him back won't help or hurt him in my opinion. If we had another winger that deserved a shot I'd say switch them but we don't (Maroon is a career AHLer). Let him stew watching in the pressbox so when he does slot back in he can use that as fuel to step up his game. Plus Etem hasn't proved he can stick around. Let's see how all that plays out before shuffling guys 3,000 miles away.
I'm going to whine about development. Scratching a young player is the shortest route to bustville. He may not have been inspired in Norfolk earlier when he may have thought he was just biding time until the NHL season. But a demotion now would serve as a notice that, yes you did fail. So it could be motivating. And the lower level of play might mean he'll play better and get more confidence.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:51 PM
Exit Dose

I think he's still better than Sutton was with us.

Old
01-31-2013, 04:21 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Rakell on 2nd line. This I have to see live, even if it starts 4am local time.
Don't you guys have DVR's in Europe? I keep seeing you all staying up all night or getting up in the middle of the night to watch a game. Ugh!

Old
01-31-2013, 04:26 PM
quentez
#8 Teemu Legend

Sure, but I don't wanna miss the live discussion going on in here

Old
01-31-2013, 04:37 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Sure, but I don't wanna miss the live discussion going on in here
You would give up sleep fore that?

Old
01-31-2013, 04:45 PM
Sean Garrity
MAGNUSIFENT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
You would give up sleep fore that?
I for one appreciate the compliment. :bigsmile:

Old
01-31-2013, 04:56 PM
ericnut

Sure, Allen hasn't been great, but he's not as bad as some of you make him out to be. In fact, I'm still happy with the signing.

Allen isn't a top pairing defenseman, that's the problem. Bruce needs to switch up the D pairings -- Allen should be on the third pairing with Lydman, Sbisa, or Beauchemin.

Fowler -
Souray -
Allen -

Now decide, do you want to be top heavy or spread around the D? If you want to be top heavy, pair Lydman with Fowler and Beauchemin with Souray. If you want to spread around the D, pair Beauchemin with Allen, Sbisa with Souray, and Lydman with Fowler.

Old
01-31-2013, 07:11 PM
PuqTalk
@PuqOT on Twitter

I'd really campaign for Fowler and Beauchemin to be reunited. But at the same time, I've been impressed with the Souray-Beauchemin pairing. We might just have to give it some time with Allen. We're only five games into the season after all.

Aside from defense, I'm really pumped to see the forward lineup next game. There's two things in particular that I think could make this team extremely successful.

Rakell centering the 2nd line. Bonino has actually played really well, the issue is chemistry. No one's individual effort is to be blamed for the slow start of that line. That being said, Rakell has shown a certain explosiveness and speed that we could really use at the second line center spot. I hope it goes past practice and he actually gets a game with Ryan and Selanne.

If Perry could wake up sometime soon, and stop fumbling the god damned puck everytime he's got a scoring chance, this team will be rolling. All we need is more domination from that line. Perry has clearly been the weakest link on the first line (funny to say, considering he's actually played great and just can't net the puck). Hopefully he can hang on to just one puck after a deke and snipe one to get going.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:54 PM
OCSportsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnut View Post
Sure, Allen hasn't been great, but he's not as bad as some of you make him out to be. In fact, I'm still happy with the signing.

Allen isn't a top pairing defenseman, that's the problem. Bruce needs to switch up the D pairings -- Allen should be on the third pairing with Lydman, Sbisa, or Beauchemin.

Fowler -
Souray -
Allen -

Now decide, do you want to be top heavy or spread around the D? If you want to be top heavy, pair Lydman with Fowler and Beauchemin with Souray. If you want to spread around the D, pair Beauchemin with Allen, Sbisa with Souray, and Lydman with Fowler.

The top defensive only pairing is Sbisa and Lydman. It was Beauch in Lydman, but Beauch is still recovering from his surgery and was not back to 100% (similar to Lydman last year). Fowler is a top pairing, but not against the other teams big line. They put him with Allen so they could improve his plus/minus and have a defensive only player to cover. Sbisa improved a ton the last two games since they moved him to the left side and with Lydman. He was playing the right side with Souray and was terrible.

The third line is Souray and Beauch which could be a 2nd pairing on many teams. That is why we are a deep defensive team. As far as Vatanen, I would guess that Souray would sit and he will play with Beauch next game.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:06 PM
Dirk316

Lydman is the worst of dmen so far

Old
01-31-2013, 10:11 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk316 View Post
That's just so wrong.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:28 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCSportsfan View Post
The top defensive only pairing is Sbisa and Lydman. It was Beauch in Lydman, but Beauch is still recovering from his surgery and was not back to 100% (similar to Lydman last year). Fowler is a top pairing, but not against the other teams big line. They put him with Allen so they could improve his plus/minus and have a defensive only player to cover. Sbisa improved a ton the last two games since they moved him to the left side and with Lydman. He was playing the right side with Souray and was terrible.
Yeah he is being used against oppositions top lines. I've specifically been watching who Fowler has been matching up against and it has been other teams top players. I double checked on behindthenet.ca and it confirms Fowler and Allen have faced by far the highest quality of competition.

Sbisa by the way has faced the lowest quality of competition. IIRC Lydman is third behind Fowler and Allen. And Sbisa has been fine playing both sides over the past few seasons - the improvement stems from having a steady partner in Lydman as opposed to him switching sides.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:04 PM
muckbin15
parros16

vCash: 50
my rankings on d performance

fowler
beauch
lydman
souray
sbisa
allen

need sbisa bringing it here pretty soon. its been slowly improving

Old
01-31-2013, 11:22 PM
Old Man Barking
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk316 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
That's just so wrong.
Well Shack, he doesn't have huge hits and fight 24/7 so in Dirk's world, he doesn't belong in the NHL.

Meanwhile in the real world, he's one of our best d-men so far.

Closed Thread