HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Phil Kessel to WEST CONF (top prospect/young player + 1st 2013)

Old
01-29-2013, 02:02 AM
Leafs For Life*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HitmanKiller12 View Post
Not sure what teams would..
Teams that are not aiming for last place.

Leafs For Life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 07:41 AM
mydnyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksgo View Post
Why can't you do Kessel + 1st for Perry?
I'd rather play the season, keep Kessel, then sign BOTH Perry and Getzlaf, and have a dominant 1st line with all 3 for free ($$)

mydnyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 07:45 AM
nomorekids
The original, baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydnyte View Post
I'd rather play the season, keep Kessel, then sign BOTH Perry and Getzlaf, and have a dominant 1st line with all 3 for free ($$)
What are the odds of that happening? How has the "all the free agents to Toronto!" mantra played out, in the last ten years?

01-29-2013, 07:46 AM
bobbyflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksgo View Post
Why can't you do Kessel + 1st for Perry?
do you even know who Kessel is ?

bobbyflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:21 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
What are the odds of that happening? How has the "all the free agents to Toronto!" mantra played out, in the last ten years?
Umm..we got... uhh... Jason Blake? ....

Getting a top UFA shouldn't be "pencilled in" as part of the plan. Because if you're assuming that's going to happen, you clearly haven't build a good enough foundation. When you DO get a top UFA, it should be considered a great bonus.

Leafs? Ha yea, our UFA signings have been terrible since the lockout. Kubina, Blake, Komi, and Beauchemin are probably the biggest names we've brought in over the last ~8 years.

416Leafer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:29 AM
gabeliscious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpro View Post
I don't think Kessel would fetch nearly the type of return that would make Leaf fans happy with dealing him. He's a UFA after next season which decreases his value. Look what Columbus got for Nash, and he has a long term deal.
more of a reason not to trade him.

if nonis cant get anything of value for kessel then he better off trying to extend him in the summer.

i dont think the nash situation is comparable in the sense that howson got a ****** return. i think there is at least a dozen gms in the league who if in the same situation would have got substantially more for nash.

the leafs are in a different position as well as we dont need quantity. we dont have available roster spots to take on 3 or 4 players coming back in a possible trade for kessel.

gabeliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:32 AM
mydnyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
Nonis is not against long term deals like Burke was, and the Leafs have tons of room next season... so, at least the chance is there.

mydnyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:35 AM
Anth93

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougGilmour93 View Post
Let's forget Perry as we can just sign him for nothing in the offseason. nThe guy grew up a Leaf fan.

Let's focus our attention on getting a #1 center.

Check this out...

To LA:
Kessel
Holzer
Scrivens

To Tor:
Richards
Clifford
Bernier
2nd in 2013
One of these days Leafs fans will figure it out..

Anth93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:48 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth93 View Post
One of these days Leafs fans will figure it out..
I heard Perry bought a house in Vancouver anyways.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:50 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thee GM View Post
How about...

Toronto: J. Bouwmeester, R. Horak & 1st Round Pick (2013)

Calgary: P. Kessel + Miscellaneous Draft Pick
I like this.

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:59 AM
The Podium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan16 View Post
Your Only 5 refers to your 5 players that most EDM fans think will all be HOFers (Eberle, Hall, RNH, Yakupov, Schultz) . So why would they be any use for EDM in playoffs, since on the pace that they are improving, they will make playoffs in ~25 years. Not that hard to understand. And, you must have not looked at the criteria they used for that, since the 'worst franchise in the nhl' is worth 1 billion dollars. Pointed out your mistakes in the bolded, also in the next quote.
Funny thing is, 3 of those players are #1 picks, thats 3x as many as the the Leafs had in the entire century

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 09:07 AM
dirk41

I see that Perry has already signed with the Leafs. Someone should alert the Ducks.

dirk41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 09:17 AM
Liferleafer
Bob's assclown

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
I like this.
Why? If we are trading Kessel....it indicates the blowup is on. What the Hell would we need JBO for? Unless you think we can deal him for another 1st.

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 09:21 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk41 View Post
I see that Perry has already signed with the Leafs. Someone should alert the Ducks.
Well, crap. First they robbed Ryan from us back in the day, now Perry. Can't blame those two, though - who wouldn't want to play with Rick Nash?

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:07 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Why? If we are trading Kessel....it indicates the blowup is on. What the Hell would we need JBO for? Unless you think we can deal him for another 1st.
Firstly because i dont think trading kessel means the blow up is on. I just think that Kessel will walk at contracts end and we will need to get value for him.

We add a top pairing dman to log minutes, cut down d zone time, block shots, add leadership. We also add a potential lottery pick considering Calgary is giving up their best defense man. As we saw, Kessel is complimentary and has yet to help improve our drafting position. This trade allows us to speed up a re-tool as we will still have our first.

Leafs dont really look all that bad right now, and thats with basically no contribution from kessel.

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:27 AM
Fraser Read

Not sure If I would make this trade, but I'm curious for Leaf fan's opinions. Schneider + Jensen for Kessel?

Fraser Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:33 AM
ap3lovr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckaholic19 View Post
Not sure If I would make this trade, but I'm curious for Leaf fan's opinions. Schneider + Jensen for Kessel?
That would make a lot of sense for both teams. So it won't happen.

ap3lovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 11:07 AM
Frenzy1
Christ Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
Tarasenko for Kessel seems like a fair deal. Take out the first round pick.
No blues fan would go for this. Sorry, but Tarasenko is leading the team in scoring with 8 points. Kessel has 2. Yes it is a short sampling, but Tarasenko is a better 2 way player at this point and also is a dynamic offensive force.

Why oh why would the Blues trade him?

Frenzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 11:16 AM
supercilious

Quote:
Leafs do that every day

Alot easier to find a sniper than it is to find someone to anchor the net for a decade

supercilious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 11:51 AM
leugangen

Quote:
Good for both sides. That said, I am not super eager to make a deal for a goalie at the moment. Reimer has been a lot better. I think the new goalie coach could work out. Time will tell, but I don't think there is panic to give up a lot for a goalie yet. Maybe a Frattin for Bernier swap, but that's about it. I love Jensen though.

leugangen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:45 PM
Frenzy1
Christ Follower

Phil Kessels trade value is interesting to discuss.

This is a case where Burke thought he would be drafting late in the 1st round with the addition of Kessel. There is no way he thought they would be drafting back to back in the top 10 (one of which was top 2). He would never have made that trade....

So where does that leave Kessel - He is signed to a reasonable contract for a first line forward for the next 1.5 years. He is a proven goal scorer. But he is pretty one demensional and all teams will have a forward that puts the puck in the net, but may not be as successful on another team where they aren't the lead option (See Brad Boyes for St. Louis - 40 goal then high 30s and now no where). Not that I am saying Kessel = Boyes, but an example of where a guy is the primary option and then isn't able to produce near that level when he isn't.

Teams drafting in the top 5 will not likely move that pick for him. Teams drafting from 10 - 15 would, but that wouldn't be enough for Toronto to move him. That is a big risk on their part.

Honestly, I think Colubus could make sense if it was for LA's 1st rounder and a prospect like Moore or Savard or maybe Jenner.

Vancouver also, if they want to give up one of their goalies +. Maybe Nashville around Wilson + .

The big problem for Toronto is you are likely gettting a package back. And that package is not going to include a massive game changer (top 5 pick etc, Tarasenko, etc....) It is going to be pieces.

So the Big guestion is - is he worth trading?

Frenzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:55 PM
johnny_rudeboy

vCash: 50
To Columbus: Kessel + Franson

To Toronto: La 1st, NY 1st, Jenner (so two 1st and a 2nd)
If Kessel dont resign Leafs 2nd 2015 goes to Columbus.

johnny_rudeboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:59 PM
Kyle Doobas*

vCash: 159
Quote:
That's definitely one to stop and think about

Kyle Doobas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:17 PM
marty111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1 View Post
Teams drafting in the top 5 will not likely move that pick for him. Teams drafting from 10 - 15 would, but that wouldn't be enough for Toronto to move him. That is a big risk on their part.
This is true and Toronto likely resigns him anyway. He's a dynamic player who - I think - on a cup competing team is an 80-95pt winger.

There aren't comparables like Kessel that come on the market often so a team would have to offer up something worthwhile.

With that being said it would have to come form a team that is switching gears from 'rebuilding' to 'contending' and even perhaps from a team that thinks adding Kessel gives their team a legitimate shot at winning the cup.

That's where the true value comes in. If you think Kessel will put your team over the top then you can rationalize trading some good futures for him IMO. And when I say 'futures' I mean prospects, not picks.

Minnesota is interesting since they have some blue chippers and can make an argument that maybe they could resign Kessel past his current contract too.

Putting him on a line with Parise could be magic.

marty111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:18 PM
Phion Keneuf
Bang Bang

Schneider + Jensen is good value.

I'd prefer Schneider + Kassian, but can't be too greedy I think.

Maybe the Nucks add a 2nd to the initial deal

Phion Keneuf is online now   Reply With Quote