HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

2008 Draft bore little fruit for the Toronto Maple Leafs

Old
01-29-2013, 02:17 PM
AlienWorkShop
No Ben! No!

vCash: 500
Considering what an NHL team gets out of an average draft, that's not all that bad a turnout.

Schenn may have ultimately been a bit of a disappointment, but he didn't outright bust. I wasn't a Schenn fan by the end of his tenure here, so perhaps I'm a bit biased, but turning him into JVR doesn't seem like bad asset management.

Hayes: 1) Ultimately not looking like a bad pick by the Leafs scouting staff 2) Possibly poor asset management trading him for Ross, though Ross is two years behind Hayes in development, so hardly a fair judgment to make just yet.

Stefanovich, Champagne, Flaake, and Rollheiser: Mid-late round busts... uh, pretty common result. And I have no problem occasionally swinging for the fences with picks like Stefanovich.

Pateryn: 2nd rounder and a 5th rounder for Grabo was a great trade.

MacWilliam: Has had a pretty impressive tenure at UND being their current captain. Still a long-shot, but certainly not bad for a 7th round pick.

So, Schenn disappointed but the jury is still out on our ultimate return from the pick. Hayes was potentially bad asset management, but too early to tell (it's not as if he's currently lighting up the NHL, and his AHL numbers are down this year). A collection of failed mid-late round picks. A minor part in a great trade. A long-shot 7th rounder still in the mix.

How about we save the criticism for true draft misses like 2003 and 2004?

(semi-related note: 2006 is looking like really solid haul with Komarov finally coming over and Holzer now on the doorstep too)

AlienWorkShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:32 PM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

What's done is done. Accept it and move on. This constant moaning and groaning over past mistakes is pointless. Sure, the actual people who made those mistakes should look back at them and learn, but I don't see the point to fans constantly analyzing and re-analyzing these moves.

rojac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 03:11 PM
Pierre Gotye

Schenn was a bad pick. Lottery defenseman with the exception of Doughty, don't seem to live up to the hype.

Schenn as a shutdown defenseman teased us in his rookie year. He stood out, because the rest of the team sucked.

I don't think he'll ever be much more than a 5-6 defenseman.

He just doesn't skate well, and has little puck skills.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 03:25 PM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Gotye View Post
Schenn was a bad pick. Lottery defenseman with the exception of Doughty, don't seem to live up to the hype.

Schenn as a shutdown defenseman teased us in his rookie year. He stood out, because the rest of the team sucked.

I don't think he'll ever be much more than a 5-6 defenseman.

He just doesn't skate well, and has little puck skills.
Pietrangelo, Hedman, Bogosian and Larsson have done pretty well for them self since being drafted. And I do think Schenn when in his peak will be among the best shut down d-man in the league. Problem with drafting defensive d-man that high is that they take so long to develop so they hit UFA just when they peak.

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 03:38 PM
Pierre Gotye

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_rudeboy View Post
Pietrangelo, Hedman, Bogosian and Larsson have done pretty well for them self since being drafted. And I do think Schenn when in his peak will be among the best shut down d-man in the league. Problem with drafting defensive d-man that high is that they take so long to develop so they hit UFA just when they peak.
They're ok. Hedman is slow and hasn't really lived up to expectations.

Bogo and Larsson have been ok. When it comes to lottery picks, even top 10's the draft has historically favored forwards, almost overwhelmingly, when it comes to NHL successes.

Doughty has been the only real gem. A case could be made for Pieterangelo.

Goalies rarely(Price is only the recent one) and its taken forever for Lehtonen to find success.

Erik Johnson and Jack Johnson are alright but haven't really lived up to their billings.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 03:49 PM
HockeyGuruPitka

2008 bore a fruit thats 6 feet 3 inches tall weighing in at 200lbs

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 03:50 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash35 View Post
Drafting Schenn that high was ridiculous. When was the last time a "defensive" defencemen was drafted in the top 10 and he turned out to actually be worth wasting that high of a pick?
what, you don't love all-stars like Gudbranson and Alzner?

There's always at least one sucker GM every year that wastes a high pick on a defensive dman. Too bad it was us that year.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 04:02 PM
showtime8

The chances that organizations take with European players are really hit and miss. I don't think that it's an exact science as to determine who will come over and play and who won't.

Take Tomas Kaberle for example. He came to a training camp as an unknown after being drafted, but made the team. Then you have a guy like Leo Komarov who takes over 6 years to play an NHL game. So I don't mind if scouts take later round gambles on guys like Komarov, Flaake, Gunnarsson, Stralman, etc.

That being said, I think the Scouting Director and area scouts should be held more accountable. If they constantly miss on draft picks and prospects don't meet the desired timeline that they have been projected at, then they should be shown the door. I get that there are circumstances that will delay a prospects development like injury, but how do you only have 1 1st round draft pick from the last 10 years on your team.

showtime8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 04:02 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

1994: N.Baumgartner #10
1995: A.Berg #3
1996: J.Aitken #8, R.Salei #9, L.Ward #10
1997: E.Brewer #5, N.Boynton #9, B.ference #10
1998: B.Allen #4, V.Vishnevsky #5
1999: B.Mezei #10
2000: L.Jonsson #7
2001: M.Komisarek #7
2002: ----
2003: B.Coburn #8
2004: L.Smid #9, B.Valabik #10
2005: B.Lee #9
2006: E.Johnson #1
2007: K.Alzner #5, K.Ellerby #10
2008: L.Schenn #5
2009: V.hedman #2
2010: E.Gudbrandson #3, D.McIlraith #10

Every single year at least one GM stupidly wastes an elite draft pick on a defenseman without the offensive production to indicate he has any NHL skill at all. It always backfires.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote