HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Can Grabner or Ullstrom play the off wing ?

Old
01-31-2013, 07:42 AM
NyIsles19

vCash: 500
Can Grabner or Ullstrom play the off wing ?

Has he played RW at all throughout his career and has he had success there?

When Bailey comes back I really think they should keep him on LW because that's the only spot he's really had success at through his career thus far.

With Moulson , Bailey , Grabner and Ullstrom one of them has to go to the off wing because none of them are 4th liners.

So I really see it as ullstrom or possibly grabber although I'm not sure if he either had played the off wing .

For me I'd like to see these lines

Moulson-Tavares-Boyes
Grabner-Nielsen-Okposo
Bailey-Aucoin-Ullstrom
Martin-CiZikas-McDonald

If Grabner was able to effectively play the off wing though with how he's become a more complete player I wouldn't mind seeing

Moulson-Tavares-Grabner
Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo
Ullstrom-Aucoin-Boyes
Martin-Cizikas-McDonald

I do see the first set of lines as much more realistically happening then the second

What are your thoughts?

NyIsles19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 07:47 AM
Tavaresfan91

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyIsles19 View Post

When Bailey comes back I really think they should keep him on LW because that's the only spot he's really had success at through his career thus far.

With Moulson , Bailey , Grabner and Ullstrom one of them has to go to the off wing because none of them are 4th liners.

So I really see it as ullstrom or possibly grabber although I'm not sure if he either had played the off wing .

Moulson-Tavares-Boyes
Grabner-Nielsen-Okposo
Bailey-Aucoin-Ullstrom
Martin-CiZikas-McDonald

If Grabner was able to effectively play the off wing though with how he's become a more complete player I wouldn't mind seeing

Moulson-Tavares-Grabner
Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo
Ullstrom-Aucoin-Boyes
Martin-Cizikas-McDonald

I do see the first set of lines as much more realistically happening then the second

What are your thoughts?
Grabner will never work with JT unfortunately because he is too fast for them. They tried it last year and it didn't work, that line needs a power forward, (niño, KO) who can get the puck in the corners and such.

Tavaresfan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 08:20 AM
NyIsles19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavaresfan91 View Post
Grabner will never work with JT unfortunately because he is too fast for them. They tried it last year and it didn't work, that line needs a power forward, (niño, KO) who can get the puck in the corners and such.
The thing with that is last year Grabner had a very disappointing year and compare to this year he is playing much better which is why I wouldn't mind seeing them try it again .

Capuano continues to keep okposo on that top line and more often than not he has not had success with Tavares and Moulson

Old
01-31-2013, 08:28 AM
19NYSports91

Imo you put playmaking wingers (Bailey) on LW and snipers (RW) if they have a left-handed shot. I'm surprised Moulson doesn't play RW instead of LW. If only Bailey was a right-handed shot, he would be perfect on the top line imo.

Also, if you're going to put Grabner on the top line he should be LW not RW. Really fast guys should be on the side they're going to receive a long pass on their forehand, not their backhand. I still think Ullstrom would be a great fit for the top line because he gets a good forecheck, he has a really nice shot, and can setup his teammates pretty well.

Last edited by 19NYSports91: 01-31-2013 at 08:33 AM.
19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 08:45 AM
RWWallpaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19NYSports91 View Post
Imo you put playmaking wingers (Bailey) on LW and snipers (RW) if they have a left-handed shot. I'm surprised Moulson doesn't play RW instead of LW. If only Bailey was a right-handed shot, he would be perfect on the top line imo.

Also, if you're going to put Grabner on the top line he should be LW not RW. Really fast guys should be on the side they're going to receive a long pass on their forehand, not their backhand. I still think Ullstrom would be a great fit for the top line because he gets a good forecheck, he has a really nice shot, and can setup his teammates pretty well.
Excellent post...could not agree more

RWWallpaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 08:47 AM
NyIsles19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19NYSports91 View Post

I agree I really wish bailey was a rh shot and same with ullstrom I just don't see them putting him there . I think if the top line continues to falter Boyes will be next.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:27 AM
redbull
game on

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyIsles19 View Post

Moulson-Tavares-Boyes
Grabner-Nielsen-Okposo
Bailey-Aucoin-Ullstrom
Martin-CiZikas-McDonald

Moulson-Tavares-Grabner
Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo
Ullstrom-Aucoin-Boyes
Martin-Cizikas-McDonald

What are your thoughts?
I think MOST wingers can play both wings nowadays, and be as effective. I think Bailey is equally good in all forward positions (and equally inconsistent). The reason Bailey wasn't great at C is mostly due to the horrid wingers he had, hardly a recipe for production, especially out of a teenager.

Grabner can also play either wing but I don't think he and Tavares would match well AT ALL. Nielsen is tailor-made for Grabner. A good passer who is so incredibly good defensively and with enough quickness and smarts to make Grabs a very dangerous player when they are on the ice together.

Bailey played well at RW last year but I can see him slotting well in any of the top three lines. At this stage, Bailey's not expected to be a guy who's going to take the league by storm, this was an unrealistic expectation of him since he was drafted, that's been compounded by how horrible the personnel has been around him. Now he's matured and become a pretty good, well rounded player who can play in an offensive role, defensive role, kill penalties and play on the PP as well. If we think of him being more Frans-Nielsen-esque, we will realize that he's actually a good player that will help the team.

I like your first set of lines much better than the second, as you mentioned. I'd probably flip Okposo-Ullstrom though. I'm not sure Boyes is a top line guy but its worth a shot since I believe he would have chemistry with those two.

The mainstays for me are:
Moulson - Tavares
Grabner - Nielsen
Bailey - Okposo

I'd keep these pairs together all the time and rotate players in and out to find chemistry. Though, the team is really playing well, offensively anyway.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:43 PM
startainfection

they both can but i would prefer if only one of them does and grabner and moulson do not mesh well at all

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 01:45 PM
ds4130

Grabner plays left wing now but he was drafted as a right wing, so I see know reason why he can't play right wing again. I'm pretty sure they already tried him with JT and it didn't work but it can't hurt. I can't see him playing worse with JT than Kyle has been.

ds4130 is offline   Reply With Quote