HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jets - Free Agents, Trades, Rumors, Speculation - 2012-13 (Part XI)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-10-2013, 01:33 PM
  #951
truck
HFB Partner
 
truck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,563
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
I'd love Versteeg.

Winnipeg and Florida are already the teams with all the scraps from Chicago's cup win.
Pretty good scraps. I like our guys and Campbell is a lovely lovely scrap.

That team was loaded.

truck is offline  
Old
03-10-2013, 01:42 PM
  #952
Libertyhaze
Registered User
 
Libertyhaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 339
vCash: 500
Yes to verteeg! I was saying this in the summer when he was still RFA.

Libertyhaze is offline  
Old
03-10-2013, 02:04 PM
  #953
Flair Hay
Registered User
 
Flair Hay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,193
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
Pretty good scraps. I like our guys and Campbell is a lovely lovely scrap.

That team was loaded.
Loaded is an understatement. Dudley deserves a lot of credit for being in on that exodus on quality players.

Flair Hay is online now  
Old
03-10-2013, 02:06 PM
  #954
Flair Hay
Registered User
 
Flair Hay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,193
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertyhaze View Post
Yes to verteeg! I was saying this in the summer when he was still RFA.
Is he UFA or part of a potential firesale?

Flair Hay is online now  
Old
03-10-2013, 02:28 PM
  #955
jetkarma
Registered User
 
jetkarma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Wpg/Vancouver Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,822
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhay1987 View Post
Is he UFA or part of a potential firesale?
From TSN: Taking All Calls

The Ottawa Sun, Florida Panthers GM Dale Tallon will listen to all offers because he feels his team is out of the playoff picture. The top name being dangled is reportedly Kris Versteeg.

jetkarma is offline  
Old
03-10-2013, 03:39 PM
  #956
Flair Hay
Registered User
 
Flair Hay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,193
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetkarma View Post
From TSN: Taking All Calls

The Ottawa Sun, Florida Panthers GM Dale Tallon will listen to all offers because he feels his team is out of the playoff picture. The top name being dangled is reportedly Kris Versteeg.
He'd be a really good add, not sure what we have that would entice Florida though that we'd want to give up.

Flair Hay is online now  
Old
03-10-2013, 03:52 PM
  #957
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
.
 
YWGinYYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,512
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhay1987 View Post
He'd be a really good add, not sure what we have that would entice Florida though that we'd want to give up.
Given that the Jets won't be in the SE Division next year, they could be good trading partners. Also like the idea of removing the Jet killer from an opposition team.

YWGinYYZ is offline  
Old
03-10-2013, 04:31 PM
  #958
almostawake
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,426
vCash: 500
Versteeg's a guy I'd be fine with if the Jets acquired, but I'd be just as fine if they didn't.

One on hand he's a decent 2nd line RW that would drastically improve the Jets' production and depth at that position. Also, I think he'd fit fine chemistry-wise with the current group of forwards. That's why I'd be fine with the Jets picking him up.

On the other hand, he's signed for 3 more years at a 4.4M cap hit. Right now the Jets are well under the cap so that isn't much of an issue, but by the 3rd year that could really complicate the cap situation. Also, from my point of view he's the kind of guy that is fine as a 2nd line winger on a team that consistently squeaks into the playoffs as a 6th, 7th, 8th seed, but on a legit contender he fits better as a top 9 forward that plays mostly on the 3rd line. So I guess, 3 years from now are the Jets still going to be a team that's happy paying 4.4M for Versteeg?

almostawake is offline  
Old
03-10-2013, 05:06 PM
  #959
Sweech
Alles zu seiner Zeit
 
Sweech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,454
vCash: 5239
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
Pretty good scraps. I like our guys and Campbell is a lovely lovely scrap.

That team was loaded.
Yeah, they were absolutely stacked.

Sweech is offline  
Old
03-10-2013, 05:35 PM
  #960
Flair Hay
Registered User
 
Flair Hay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,193
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by almostawake View Post
Versteeg's a guy I'd be fine with if the Jets acquired, but I'd be just as fine if they didn't.

One on hand he's a decent 2nd line RW that would drastically improve the Jets' production and depth at that position. Also, I think he'd fit fine chemistry-wise with the current group of forwards. That's why I'd be fine with the Jets picking him up.

On the other hand, he's signed for 3 more years at a 4.4M cap hit. Right now the Jets are well under the cap so that isn't much of an issue, but by the 3rd year that could really complicate the cap situation. Also, from my point of view he's the kind of guy that is fine as a 2nd line winger on a team that consistently squeaks into the playoffs as a 6th, 7th, 8th seed, but on a legit contender he fits better as a top 9 forward that plays mostly on the 3rd line. So I guess, 3 years from now are the Jets still going to be a team that's happy paying 4.4M for Versteeg?
Yeah I'm going back and forth on this. He does't fit the pay structure as a third liner, but might not be a good enough second liner for a Cup team. I'm gonna play around with this a bit.

for 2013/14

FWDS

1.Kane (5.25)
2. Jokinen (4.50)
3. Versteeg(4.40)
4. Ladd (4.40)
5. Wheeler (4.50**)
6. Little (3.75**)
7. Burmistrov (1.75**)
8. Slater (1.60)
9. Scheifele (1.59)
10. Thorburn (0.87)
11.Wright (0.65)
12. Peluso (0.750**)
13. Tangradi (0.65**) ...or don't qualify him if he doesn't improve

Antropov, Miettinen, Wellwood UFA

Total $34.66M


DEF

1. Byfuglien (5.25)
2. Enstrom (5.75)
3. Bogosian (5.5**)
4. Stuart (1.70)
5. Postma (1.25**)
6. Redmond (0.75**) Hope he recovers..

Hainsey, Clitsome UFA

Total $20.20M

GOAL

Pavelec (3.9)

Montoya UFA

** RFA that I guestimated

All together with Versteeg on board without trading anyone on the roster would give us around $58.7M, or $5.3M in cap space. We'd still need to sign a 3rd liner with some talent to play with Burmistrov/Scheifele. And a couple of LD that are or replace Hainsey and Clitsome. The Trouba's possible arrival is another wild card. We'd certainly be a lot closer to the cap than we are now. Jokinen's $4.5 would be expiring as well too so we wouldn't be forced into a stagnant FA period at any point anyway.

Flair Hay is online now  
Old
03-10-2013, 05:58 PM
  #961
KingBogo
Admitted Homer
 
KingBogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 7,529
vCash: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhay1987 View Post
Yeah I'm going back and forth on this. He does't fit the pay structure as a third liner, but might not be a good enough second liner for a Cup team. I'm gonna play around with this a bit.

for 2013/14

FWDS

1.Kane (5.25)
2. Jokinen (4.50)
3. Versteeg(4.40)
4. Ladd (4.40)
5. Wheeler (4.50**)
6. Little (3.75**)
7. Burmistrov (1.75**)
8. Slater (1.60)
9. Scheifele (1.59)
10. Thorburn (0.87)
11.Wright (0.65)
12. Peluso (0.750**)
13. Tangradi (0.65**) ...or don't qualify him if he doesn't improve

Antropov, Miettinen, Wellwood UFA

Total $34.66M


DEF

1. Byfuglien (5.25)
2. Enstrom (5.75)
3. Bogosian (5.5**)
4. Stuart (1.70)
5. Postma (1.25**)
6. Redmond (0.75**) Hope he recovers..

Hainsey, Clitsome UFA

Total $20.20M

GOAL

Pavelec (3.9)

Montoya UFA

** RFA that I guestimated

All together with Versteeg on board without trading anyone on the roster would give us around $58.7M, or $5.3M in cap space. We'd still need to sign a 3rd liner with some talent to play with Burmistrov/Scheifele. And a couple of LD that are or replace Hainsey and Clitsome. The Trouba's possible arrival is another wild card. We'd certainly be a lot closer to the cap than we are now. Jokinen's $4.5 would be expiring as well too so we wouldn't be forced into a stagnant FA period at any point anyway.
But how are you going to get Versteeg without trading a roster player, or one of our top prospects. Unless you were looking at trading some combination of draft picks.

KingBogo is offline  
Old
03-10-2013, 06:13 PM
  #962
Flair Hay
Registered User
 
Flair Hay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,193
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
But how are you going to get Versteeg without trading a roster player, or one of our top prospects. Unless you were looking at trading some combination of draft picks.
Sorry that was a little incomplete. I just wanted to see what the salary would look like for our salary structure and what roster flexibility we would or woudn't have. I'm not sure what Florida would be interested in and what we'd be able to afford to move. Trading draft picks is pretty unlikely I think.

Flair Hay is online now  
Old
03-10-2013, 06:49 PM
  #963
almostawake
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,426
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
But how are you going to get Versteeg without trading a roster player, or one of our top prospects. Unless you were looking at trading some combination of draft picks.
It's hard to say. If they decide to trade him they will probably get a decent return but his contract will keep a lot of teams away. Not that he's grossy overpaid or anything like that, just that there are 3 more years to go and acquiring him will significantly effect any team's cap flexibility going forward.

Another small thing that doesn't count in his favor is that the way his contract was structured he's actually owed 14M over the next 3.

almostawake is offline  
Old
03-10-2013, 06:57 PM
  #964
WJG
Running and Rioting
 
WJG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: Ireland
Posts: 13,479
vCash: 500
I'd love Versteeg on the Jets.

WJG is offline  
Old
03-10-2013, 07:05 PM
  #965
Sweech
Alles zu seiner Zeit
 
Sweech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,454
vCash: 5239
Versteeg's been traded 4 times already, so there's a good gauge already set for his value:

Quote:
Chicago Blackhawks traded Kris Versteeg and Bill Sweatt to the Toronto Maple Leafs for Viktor Stalberg, Chris DiDomenico and Philippe Paradis.
Quote:
Toronto Maple Leafs traded Kris Versteeg to the Philadelphia Flyers for a first and third-round draft pick in 2011.
Quote:
Philadelphia Flyers traded Kris Versteeg to the Florida Panthers for a conditional 2nd round selection and a 3rd round selection in 2012.
His value seemed to dip a bit, but he's been great in Florida, so I'd expect it climbs a little bit.

Maybe a 2nd and 3rd again? Or pick (2nd or 3rd) + prospect?

Sweech is offline  
Old
03-10-2013, 07:21 PM
  #966
Guerzy
HFBoards Contributor
 
Guerzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The Lake
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,321
vCash: 50
Chevy will at least be familiar with Versteeg from their time in Chicago. I had hoped Cheveldayoff would have acquired Versteeg in the summer of 2011, though it seemed things just didn't line up, and it was obvious Tallon wanted (and got) one of his former Blackhawks. Perhaps Cheveldayoff packages one of our extra 2nd round picks for Versteeg. I'd be all for that.

Versteeg would help our depth at RW, in my opinion.

Guerzy is online now  
Old
03-10-2013, 07:24 PM
  #967
Flair Hay
Registered User
 
Flair Hay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,193
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
Versteeg's been traded 4 times already, so there's a good gauge already set for his value:


His value seemed to dip a bit, but he's been great in Florida, so I'd expect it climbs a little bit.

Maybe a 2nd and 3rd again? Or pick (2nd or 3rd) + prospect?
Wouldn't be terrible to give up 2nd + 3rd for him but Florida can probably get more from someone. We don't even really have any expendable prospects worth much either. Maybe they just want to shed a little salary and we get lucky lol

Flair Hay is online now  
Old
03-10-2013, 09:49 PM
  #968
sully1410
#BandOfBeavers
 
sully1410's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary, Alta.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,239
vCash: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhay1987 View Post
Wouldn't be terrible to give up 2nd + 3rd for him but Florida can probably get more from someone. We don't even really have any expendable prospects worth much either. Maybe they just want to shed a little salary and we get lucky lol
They most definitely could. I imagine that Tallon would probably want a first for him, and that's just a starting point.

sully1410 is offline  
Old
03-10-2013, 10:27 PM
  #969
Guerzy
HFBoards Contributor
 
Guerzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The Lake
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,321
vCash: 50
I could see Cheveldayoff perhaps dealing Burmistrov for either of Versteeg or Stastny between now and the trade deadline.

Versteeg is signed for the next 3 seasons, which is ideal.

Stastny is more risky in that he is a UFA after next season.

There are pros and cons to both potential players, but we may get to a point where we do indeed trade Burmistrov. Me personally, I would be ok with it. Burmistrov has nice tools and appealing potential, whether or not he reaches that potential i'm a little unsure. I'm also unsure if he fits into Chevy/the Jets plans headed forward.

Guerzy is online now  
Old
03-10-2013, 10:33 PM
  #970
sully1410
#BandOfBeavers
 
sully1410's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary, Alta.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,239
vCash: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
I could see Cheveldayoff perhaps dealing Burmistrov for either of Versteeg or Stastny between now and the trade deadline.

Versteeg is signed for the next 3 seasons, which is ideal.

Stastny is more risky in that he is a UFA after next season.

There are pros and cons to both potential players, but we may get to a point where we do indeed trade Burmistrov. Me personally, I would be ok with it. Burmistrov has nice tools and appealing potential, whether or not he reaches that potential i'm a little unsure. I'm also unsure if he fits into Chevy/the Jets plans headed forward.
Id be ok with either of those trades.

sully1410 is offline  
Old
03-10-2013, 11:00 PM
  #971
JetsHomer
Registered User
 
JetsHomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,973
vCash: 500
I'd do Lowry and a third for Versteeg. Assuming Lowry probably has similar value to a mid range first round pick.

JetsHomer is offline  
Old
03-11-2013, 12:16 AM
  #972
Sweech
Alles zu seiner Zeit
 
Sweech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,454
vCash: 5239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
I could see Cheveldayoff perhaps dealing Burmistrov for either of Versteeg or Stastny between now and the trade deadline.

Versteeg is signed for the next 3 seasons, which is ideal.

Stastny is more risky in that he is a UFA after next season.

There are pros and cons to both potential players, but we may get to a point where we do indeed trade Burmistrov. Me personally, I would be ok with it. Burmistrov has nice tools and appealing potential, whether or not he reaches that potential i'm a little unsure. I'm also unsure if he fits into Chevy/the Jets plans headed forward.
I'd be pissed if we moved Burmi for Versteeg. I definitely think we could use him to obtain a better player.

I love Stastny, but that cap hit + soon to be a free agent really worries me.

Sweech is offline  
Old
03-11-2013, 01:15 AM
  #973
CB Joe
Registered User
 
CB Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,714
vCash: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
I could see Cheveldayoff perhaps dealing Burmistrov for either of Versteeg or Stastny between now and the trade deadline.

Versteeg is signed for the next 3 seasons, which is ideal.

Stastny is more risky in that he is a UFA after next season.

There are pros and cons to both potential players, but we may get to a point where we do indeed trade Burmistrov. Me personally, I would be ok with it. Burmistrov has nice tools and appealing potential, whether or not he reaches that potential i'm a little unsure. I'm also unsure if he fits into Chevy/the Jets plans headed forward.
Stastny would cost more then Burmistrov. Besides the Avs need defence, not more forwards.

CB Joe is offline  
Old
03-11-2013, 06:37 AM
  #974
KingBogo
Admitted Homer
 
KingBogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 7,529
vCash: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
I'd do Lowry and a third for Versteeg. Assuming Lowry probably has similar value to a mid range first round pick.
Value wise it makes sense. But I would hate to lose Lowry, who seems to be the exact kind of player Chevy craves. A big character guy who can put up points. I see him as a long time Jet.

KingBogo is offline  
Old
03-11-2013, 08:00 AM
  #975
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D
 
untouchable21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Outer Limits.
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,928
vCash: 500
Yeah, don't really want any part of dealing away Lowry before we even get to see him in a JETS uniform.

I'd deal Sutter and a 2nd or a 3rd for him.

untouchable21 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:56 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.