HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Observations you've made watching other teams broadcasts on center ice

Old
01-30-2013, 10:24 AM
Sunshine36616

vCash: 500
Quote:
Canadian pizza commercials are surreal. Why do you have a chain called "Boston Pizza"? Why do you have a different chain called "Pizza [seemingly random series of numbers]" who has 90s public access-looking commercials advertising pizza "toppers"?
OMG I hate that "finger cooking" commercial for Boston Pizza.

Sunshine36616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 10:33 AM
charlie460
Stone Age Hockey

Sharks announcers are super homers but amuse me nonetheless.

charlie460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 10:35 AM
startainfection

the oilers camera men are on the wrong side and i thought it was just msg with awful commercials, makes me very happy that it is every single team that has them, and i am really curious about tim hortons too

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:39 PM
Fallenity

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
Joe Beninati?
Yeah, apparently his voice has gotten even more rusty with age

Fallenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:59 PM
Neely08

Some cameramen are better than others.

Some cameramen apparently aren't hockey fans.

Some cameramen apparently aren't very observant at all.

Some producers understand if you put up an ad for Skeeter's BBQ Shack during gameplay, you obscure the puck (it took VS. 5 years to figure this out), some do not.

Edmonton has the best ice in pro hockey.

Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:02 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

Benninati and Remenda are annoying.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 07:09 PM
Sunshine36616

Just saw a Canadian commercial for Dawn Dish Washing Liquid that had the product being used at a country fair with a poutine eating contest!

Sunshine36616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:12 PM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Valley View Post
Canadian pizza commercials are surreal. Why do you have a chain called "Boston Pizza"? Why do you have a different chain called "Pizza [seemingly random series of numbers]" who has 90s public access-looking commercials advertising pizza "toppers"?
It's Canada..they watch our tv, listen to our music, eat at our chains etc etc, why not have a Boston pizza restaurant.

Fire Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 10:11 PM
Sky Valley

Send a message via AIM to Sky Valley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Lindy View Post
It's Canada..they watch our tv, listen to our music, eat at our chains etc etc, why not have a Boston pizza restaurant.
I just don't get why Boston, as opposed to one of the cities actually known for pizza.

Not that I have a problem with it. I enjoy the goofy little quirks of Canadian broadcasting.

Sky Valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:11 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackFr View Post
San Jose Sharks fans, you guys are lucky as hell.
Sure, if they like homer commentators.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:14 PM
JetsFan815

That one commentator for the Avs is the biggest homer in the league, only the Pittsburgh guys give him competition.

JetsFan815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:15 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharksFan1 View Post
I can not stand how Fox always ends his statements with that tone. Although they are a million times better than the Ducks announcers.
I grew up listening to him, so it doesn't bother me at all. I kind of expect it. But I can see where it might be annoying to others.

The important part is that Fox knows his ****. So it makes listening to him explain things palatable.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:21 PM
NORY

dont know if this was said yet, but it really bugs me that they dont have the pre and post game shows for the games. i think it would go along way in peoples understanding of other teams, not to mention learning more about the players. you got to think this would really help the NHL brand.

NORY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:22 PM
jg39
SFY is great

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsFan815 View Post
That one commentator for the Avs is the biggest homer in the league, only the Pittsburgh guys give him competition.
That's really saying something...the guys in Pittsburgh are awful. I went to college near Pittsburgh, and had to suffer through listening to those guys whenever I wanted to watch hockey. I watched a lot of Pens games on mute.

The worst thing about them is when the new Penguins "fans" (the ones who cannot spell Lemieux, putting a "Y" in there somewhere) take what they say as truth, and talk about how smart they are about hockey.

jg39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:06 AM
HookKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Systemfel View Post
I think the Sharks' duo oozes homerism.What is that? Does he do it on purpose? Really annoying.
Yes. He did not do this early in his cc career so he acquired it for some reason.

My observations:

I enjoy hearing other commentators criticize my favorite team's players -- stuff your own guys can't/won't say.

Hayward (Anaheim) has actually softened up a bit in the last few years with the ridiculous homerism...my cynical side thinks this will change if the Ducks become legit contenders again.

HookKing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:34 AM
TheAngryHank
Expert

Watching Penguins games I realized That team has never ever taken a penalty . When one is issued it is the biggest screw job of all time. That to me makes them the biggest homers ever. Other teams home crew will just sort of hem and haw and say " I guess I can see how that might have been a penalty from the officials angle ,while never actually admitting guilt.

TheAngryHank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:47 AM
Semantics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
Taco Bell is mediocre at best. Taco Del Mar is a bit better. Though, I do agree, the USA has us beat in the fast food department.
Taco Bell is actually significantly worse in Canada than it is in the US which is saying something. It's probably why no one I knew when I was growing up in Canada ever went there. On the other hand, McD's is a bit better in Canada than in California from what I can tell. I miss Harvey's, Second Cup, and Timmy's too. Overall I'd call it a wash. (US destroys Canada when it comes to fine dining though at the other end of the spectrum.)

Semantics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:34 AM
RAZZIE King
Los Cucarachas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharksFan1 View Post
I can not stand how Fox always ends his statements with that tone. Although they are a million times better than the Ducks announcers.
Who isn't???

RAZZIE King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:47 AM
Count Von Grabo*

If I hear "we'll pick you up" again I'm gonna snap.

Count Von Grabo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 04:19 AM
JetsAlternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Valley View Post
I just don't get why Boston, as opposed to one of the cities actually known for pizza.

Not that I have a problem with it. I enjoy the goofy little quirks of Canadian broadcasting.
Apparently, the "Boston" moniker was first used when a Greek immigrant opened a restaurant called "Boston Pizza and Spaghetti House" in 1964. One would have to wonder why "Boston" was the city he decided to identify with. Here's more from the Wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_Pizza

Quote:
Boston Pizza began in Edmonton, Alberta, on August 12, 1964, when a Greek immigrant, Gus Agioritis, opened Boston Pizza and Spaghetti House. By 1970, Boston Pizza had 17 locations in Western Canada, 15 of which were franchised.

One of the first franchisees was Jim Treliving, a Royal Canadian Mounted Police officer. In 1968, he had noticed the growing popularity of Boston Pizza and purchased the rights to open a restaurant in Penticton, British Columbia. While in Penticton he met up with George Melville who was a chartered accountant. He acted as Treliving's business consultant for four years and in 1973 became Treliving's partner in the business. Over 10 years, they opened 16 restaurants in British Columbia.

In 1983, Treliving and Melville acquired the Boston Pizza chain from the then owner Ron Coyle, who had acquired the company from Agioritis in 1978.

In 1997, Mark Pacinda was hired to bring the chain to more eastern areas of Canada. The first eastern location opened in Ottawa in September 1998. The company later opened a regional office in Laval, Quebec, in April 2004. Today, there are 334 Boston Pizza restaurants in Canada.
I suppose Mr. Agioritis thought Boston was known for pizza. Upon searching "Greek Pizza" on Wikipedia, I found this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_pizza

Quote:
Greek pizza can refer to either of two styles of pizza.

One usage refers to a pizza with typically (or stereotypically) Greek ingredients as toppings.[1] These include toppings such as feta cheese, olives (e.g. - Kalamata), onion, tomato, green bell pepper, gyros meat[2] and spinach.[3]

The other usage refers to a style of pizza crust rather than its toppings.[4] This style is baked in a pan, instead of directly on the bricks of the pizza oven (as is more traditional for Italian pizza).[4] It has a crust that is usually quite oily.[4] This style of pizza is referred to as "Greek pizza" even when it has non-Greek toppings, since it is typical of pizzerias owned by Greek immigrants.[citation needed] These establishments often also sell Greek specialities, such as Greek salads and gyros, and tend to brand themselves as "Pizza and Pasta" or as a "House of Pizza"; a code signifying that it is not an Italian restaurant, but a Greek restaurant serving Italian style food.[citation needed]

In the United States, the latter usage is common in New England cuisine.[4]
I don't know if there's some sort of connection he was trying to make. If there was, well, there you go. The restaurant was named in reference to "Greek Pizza" of New England, and stuck when Jim Treliving transformed it into a multi-million dollar family restaurant business.

Last edited by JetsAlternate: 01-31-2013 at 05:06 AM.
JetsAlternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 04:51 AM
JetsAlternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
the oilers camera men are on the wrong side and i thought it was just msg with awful commercials, makes me very happy that it is every single team that has them, and i am really curious about tim hortons too
The marketing philosophy of Tim Hortons is fairly interesting. Sometimes they'll attempt a patriotic marketing campaign, sometimes they'll try their hand at comedy (quite unsuccessfully, might I add). Sometimes it'll be based on Canadian hockey culture such as the Crosby commercials. They often go with the lighter commercials, many of which are annoying, when advertising specific products. They do a lot better when simply advertising the brand.

Last edited by JetsAlternate: 01-31-2013 at 05:04 AM.
JetsAlternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 12:00 AM
Doctor King Schultz
Garian Maborik

It seems like the camera angle is noticeably higher in San Jose than in any other arena I've watched.

Doctor King Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 12:12 AM
DJENTLEMAN
INTJ

There is a company called Boston Pizza.

What the **** is that?

Also, most other team's announcers are very boring, dull and add zero excitement to the game. When the other team scores they simply state the fact and continue talking about a little factoid of their own team.

No one beats Jack's excitement. Call him a homer all you want, he's a pure fan of the game who gets excited when either team scores, lays a nasty hit, or has some magical movement in their own zone and his call of the game reflects that.

Last edited by DJENTLEMAN: 02-03-2013 at 12:17 AM.
DJENTLEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 12:45 AM
Oignon Saute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
Taco Bell is mediocre at best. Taco Del Mar is a bit better. Though, I do agree, the USA has us beat in the fast food department.

As long as we have A&W and Tim Horton's, nothing else is even necessary.
I don't think I've ever been in an American food court that wasn't awful. Where's the variety? My local mall has Vietnamese, Japanese, Korean, Lebanese, Italian, Greek and a smoothie place to go with the A&W, Subway, New York Fries, yogen fruz, Marble Slab and Second Cup.

Vancouver broadcasts have a ridiculous amount of "Top Prospects" commercials. And the only one seems to be Adam Polasek.

Oignon Saute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 12:51 AM
Sirquacksalot
Nok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oignon Saute View Post
I don't think I've ever been in an American food court that wasn't awful. Where's the variety? My local mall has Vietnamese, Japanese, Korean, Lebanese, Italian, Greek and a smoothie place to go with the A&W, Subway, New York Fries, yogen fruz, Marble Slab and Second Cup.

Vancouver broadcasts have a ridiculous amount of "Top Prospects" commercials. And the only one seems to be Adam Polasek.
I'm not sure that's an American vs. Canadian thing, I think it's a West coast vs. elsewhere thing. I've been in many food courts here in California that had a variety of international cuisines. The West Coast had a lot of people from a lot of places.

Sirquacksalot is online now   Reply With Quote