HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#06 – Leafs at Sabres – Tue Jan 29 – 7:00PM ET – TV: MSG-B – Radio: WGR-AM

Old
01-29-2013, 12:05 PM
JPurp26

vCash: 500
Tonight's my first game of the season as I am making the trip to Buffalo, hopefully they play well. Still amazed about Sulzer.

JPurp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:08 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

If Regier handed Lindy a puzzle short a few pieces, Ruff has spent the first five games shoveling colorful shards of cardboard into his mouth.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:09 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
If Regier handed Lindy a puzzle short a few pieces, Ruff has spent the first five games shoveling colorful shards of cardboard into his mouth.
i dont really get it... but it's funny none the less

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:10 PM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

Lindy just sees things out there that we don't guys.

- Lindy sympathizers

Fire Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:12 PM
Royisgone

Quote:
Not sure how you came up with this, but this is fantastic!

Royisgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:26 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Excited to see TJB and Weber

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:31 PM
SabresBillsBuffalo

Weird that Sulzer is out... can we just trade Leopold? Not saying he is awful but we have so much depth....

SabresBillsBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:32 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royisgone View Post
Not sure how you came up with this, but this is fantastic!

It starts with more cups of coffee than hours of sleep.

Old
01-29-2013, 12:33 PM
zbubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwordsgoneWild View Post
Thats just...... I dont even know anymore

If Ruff wanted to light a fire under the defense by benching somebody it should of been Leo or Myers.
Or - this is like the military where one guy screws up and instead they make someone else do the push ups. Lindy could've pulled all the other D-men aside, said "You've all been sucking, now poor Alex has to sit. Think about that for a while."

At least that's how it played out in my head.

zbubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:35 PM
Crazy Tasty

Lots of goals tonight.

Crazy Tasty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:35 PM
kirby11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Same here, but at the same time, I'm worried that TJB is gonna look like grags and lindy will inexplicably throw weber to the wolves in his first game a la last year against philly. I'd also be less worried if we hadn't benched one of our steadiest defensemen for one of those two

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:36 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
it's gonna be Leo-Myers and I'm gonna blow a gasket tonight
You're probably correct. Leo-Myers getting both offensive and defensive minutes; Weber-Sekera getting a lot of D-zone starts; Brennan-Ehrhoff getting a bunch of O-zone starts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurp26 View Post
Sulzer a healthy scratch per Paul Hamilton
Incredible . . . . .
Ruff's a moron. He benches a guy who's doing his job, and doing it pretty well. Sulzer is best on the team in GA/60 at 5-on-5 (1 ES goal against with him on the ice) [Ehrhoff is 2nd best], and second to Ehrhoff in Relative Corsi despite the fact that both start in the O-zone 50% or less of the time.

Lindy: "Gee, I have this pairing that is dominating their opponents possession-wise, and I can consistently give them defensive-zone starts and don't have to worry about them getting scored on too much. But I know how to break this team out of its doldrums: I'll break the pairing up, and bench one of the guys! That'll send the right message!"

Get this guy out of here, FFS.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:39 PM
Crazy Tasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
You're probably correct. Leo-Myers getting both offensive and defensive minutes; Weber-Sekera getting a lot of D-zone starts; Brennan-Ehrhoff getting a bunch of O-zone starts.

Ruff's a moron. He benches a guy who's doing his job, and doing it pretty well. Sulzer is best on the team in GA/60 at 5-on-5 (1 ES goal against with him on the ice) [Ehrhoff is 2nd best], and second to Ehrhoff in Relative Corsi despite the fact that both start in the O-zone 50% or less of the time.

Lindy: "Gee, I have this pairing that is dominating their opponents possession-wise, and I can consistently give them defensive-zone starts and don't have to worry about them getting scored on too much. But I know how to break this team out of its doldrums: I'll break the pairing up, and bench one of the guys! That'll send the right message!"

He went with the names in the hat method.

Crazy Tasty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:40 PM
BloFan4Life

Good to see playing time is not awarded by performance but instead your last name. Thanks for the lies Pegula. The sole existence for this team is to keep Ruff employed.

BloFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:44 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Ah yes, more of Mike "STOP ****ING PLAYING ME AS A SHUTDOWN DEFENSEMAN, LINDY I STILL HAVE NIGHTMARES OF CLAUDE GIROUX" Weber seeing the opponent's best competition. Unless he boards Kessel and ends his night early, we might be in for a long night.

Quote:

His handling of Grigorenko has somehow manage to make the team worse at both offense and defense simultaneously. I keep thinking that Lindy has reached rock bottom and keep getting surprised.

Old
01-29-2013, 12:44 PM
drinking bleach irl
don't be so serious

Quote:

Bronze post, add it to the wall

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:46 PM
kirby11

Darcy has to see that what ruff is doing makes absolutely no sense, right? (I hope) Unless Lindy can pull jedi mind stuff on darth and convince him sulzer has some random injury...? How else do you explain this. "Gee, we weren't winning, so I decided to change things up and break up my best defensive pairing. That seemed like a great idea even though we need our defense to be playing really well"

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:52 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

I'll put all my vCash on Lindy using the "Looking for a spark" excuse after the game.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:55 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby11 View Post
Darcy has to see that what ruff is doing makes absolutely no sense, right? (I hope) Unless Lindy can pull jedi mind stuff on darth and convince him sulzer has some random injury...? How else do you explain this. "Gee, we weren't winning, so I decided to change things up and break up my best defensive pairing. That seemed like a great idea even though we need our defense to be playing really well"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
I'll put all my vCash on Lindy using the "Looking for a spark" excuse after the game.
Quite simply, I think he's punishing Sulzer for taking the delay-of-game penalty that led to Ovie's GWG. There are consequences for some, not for others. Another day in the Lindy Ruff era, ho hum.

Also, Lindy could've looked for a spark by inserting TJB for Ellis. But since he needs Scott for the rehearsed fight with Orr and little else, he didn't want to be stuck with 10 forwards.

Old
01-29-2013, 01:13 PM
slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Same here. The outrage over benching Sulzer seems excessive and more a product of a fan base ready to lash out at the coach no matter what (not that I don't think the second guessing and viscous criticism of Ruff is unjustified).

slip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:17 PM
heartsabres*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky Gleason
Sure, I'll swing at this softball.

Because

1) people are people no matter what professional sports team they root for, and they deserve an opportunity to observe the game they love.
2) leafs fans have a much harder time attending games than sabres fans do and have the right to know about a local team still having tickets on gameday for a matchup with their team of choice.
3) I don't extend my preference for the Sabres into a pseudo romantic loyalty to a business worth hundreds of millions of dollars.
4) it was a nice thing to do, and if at the end of the day my 30 seconds of effort makes someone's day even marginally better I'll do it every time.
Quote:
Or, you know, I'm a leafs fan. Obviously.
Just out of curiosity, how many other Sabres fan sites/boards did you go to first to let the hometown fans know there were still tickets available?
isn΄t that the weirdest thing you ever saw?

Not to mention he would rather help out the leaf fans....

heartsabres* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:20 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip View Post
Same here. The outrage over benching Sulzer seems excessive and more a product of a fan base ready to lash out at the coach no matter what (not that I don't think the second guessing and viscous criticism of Ruff is unjustified).
Stop. I provided several objective reasons why I think it's stupid. See below.

Quote:

Why are we breaking up a pairing like that? Why are we benching a player who has otherwise been very solid for a single mistake. And if that's the standard, why are some of the other guys seeing no consequences?

I, too, am excited to see if Brennan can translate his offensive success in the AHL to the NHL, while at the same time hoping he can be at least average in his own end. Sure, give him a shot. But at the expense of a guy who has done his job well, and simultaneously breaking up your best pairing? Dumb.

Old
01-29-2013, 01:21 PM
Sabresfansince1980

Quote:
Quite simply, I think he's punishing Sulzer for taking the delay-of-game penalty that led to Ovie's GWG. There are consequences for some, not for others. Another day in the Lindy Ruff era, ho hum.
This is what I was thinking, with no apparent interest in the fact that Hecht collapsed/cheated too far over and left Ovie wide friggin' open in his wheelhouse.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:25 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:

Also, Lindy could've looked for a spark by inserting TJB for Ellis. But since he needs Scott for the rehearsed fight with Orr and little else, he didn't want to be stuck with 10 forwards.
That's a massively harsh punishment for a single mistake.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:25 PM
Wisent42

Quote:

Wisent42 is offline   Reply With Quote