HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Is Vancouver the blueprint of Nonis' plan for Leafs?

Old
01-28-2013, 08:18 PM
A1LeafNation
Thanks Boston.

vCash: 566
Is Vancouver the blueprint of Nonis' plan for Leafs?

I don't see how this is a guessing game when it comes to the direction of the Leafs future.

Imo, we have a blueprint of Nonis' plan. Look at Vancouver after he took over from Burke. The only big piece Nonis traded was Bertuzzi because Bertuzzi needed to get the hell out of Vancouver after the Steve Moore incident. Even then the return was Luongo.

They will only trade will be guys like MacArthur and Steckel for picks. Maybe Liles might go depending on if they are preparing to go next year with guys like Gunnarsson, Ranger, Gardiner, and Rielly on LD. I actually think Komisarek stays and is not bought out of the final year of his deal; Phaneuf needs all the help he can get. Kostka, Franson, Holzer, Fraser aren't getting it done.

Nonis is not changing the Leafs plan. He will let these guys grow and develop, even Kessel!

A1LeafNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:23 PM
Parkdale
In Reimer We Trust

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1LeafNation View Post
I don't see how this is a guessing game when it comes to the direction of the Leafs future.

Imo, we have a blueprint of Nonis' plan. Look at Vancouver after he took over from Burke. The only big piece Nonis traded was Bertuzzi because Bertuzzi needed to get the hell out of Vancouver after the Steve Moore incident. Even then the return was Luongo.

They will only trade will be guys like MacArthur and Steckel for picks. Maybe Liles might go depending on if they are preparing to go next year with guys like Gunnarsson, Ranger, Gardiner, and Rielly on LD. I actually think Komisarek stays and is not bought out of the final year of his deal; Phaneuf needs all the help he can get. Kostka, Franson, Holzer, Fraser aren't getting it done.

Nonis is not changing the Leafs plan. He will let these guys grow and develop, even Kessel!
This will be interesting to observe. The contrast between the cautious, steady as you go, long range planning that he used when he was GM to being the # 1 sidekick to bold strokes, high risk - high reward style of Burke. Hoping for the former. (If he actually trades for Luongo though, I would say he is following the Burke model.)

Parkdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:26 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

wouldnt it be tempting to sign all-star calibre free agents?

p.l.f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:28 PM
A1LeafNation
Thanks Boston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
This will be interesting to observe. The contrast between the cautious, steady as you go, long range planning that he used when he was GM to being the # 1 sidekick to bold strokes, high risk - high reward style of Burke. Hoping for the former. (If he actually trades for Luongo though, I would say he is following the Burke model.)
I don't think he goes for Luongo. Trading for Luongo back then, was trading for a top goalie entering his prime; its not the same now. Vancouver started their process in 1999 when they drafted the Sedins, they didn't reach their height until 2011 when the won their first Presidents Trophy.

This process with the Leafs started in 2009 when we drafted Kadri and traded for Kessel, I think it will be a good 5 years until we see the height of this Leafs team.

#patience.

Old
01-28-2013, 08:34 PM
Dark Knight
Draft Jared McCann!

He's too patient and its highly doubtful you can find a sucker like Keenan to trade you an All-Star goaltender for Bertuzzi, Allen and spare parts.

Brian Burke found that sucker in Sutter but Phaneuf is not the same D-man he once was in Calgary. I remember a dominant player but he's a shade of himself. His shot is nowhere close to where it was with Calgary and his speed isn't there either.

If Nonis is smart, he'll sell the play the kids mentality and accumulate picks and draft for TALENT and not for toughness.

Talent always wins out at the end. I'm sick of ignoring the European market as far as draft picks are concerned.

01-28-2013, 08:35 PM
Doug Gilmour
Leafer Since '95

Vancouver.....I don't know about that one. I see this team being more in the mold of Anahiem and how Bob Murray has kept and added pieces.

Doug Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:36 PM
JMcLeaf
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
He's too patient and its highly doubtful you can find a sucker like Keenan to trade you an All-Star goaltender for Bertuzzi, Allen and spare parts.

Brian Burke found that sucker in Sutter but Phaneuf is not the same D-man he once was in Calgary. I remember a dominant player but he's a shade of himself. His shot is nowhere close to where it was with Calgary and his speed isn't there either.

If Nonis is smart, he'll sell the play the kids mentality and accumulate picks and draft for TALENT and not for toughness.

Talent always wins out at the end. I'm sick of ignoring the European market as far as draft picks are concerned.
Wasn't Nonis the one behind the Phaneuf deal?

JMcLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:39 PM
A1LeafNation
Thanks Boston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Gilmour View Post
Vancouver.....I don't know about that one. I see this team being more in the mold of Anahiem and how Bob Murray has kept and added pieces.
Thats the way Vancouver was built. They just kept adding pieces.

And Luongo fell into their laps.

I believe Nonis actually refused to sell a young Kesler and Edler for B. Richards. Nonis is against trading the future imo. Kessel goes nowhere imo.

Old
01-28-2013, 08:41 PM
Parkdale
In Reimer We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLeaf View Post
Wasn't Nonis the one behind the Phaneuf deal?
Yes all the good Leaf trades were Nonis trades, the lousy ones were Burkie's.

Parkdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:42 PM
marty111

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
I'd go maximum for Getzlaf.

marty111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:48 PM
Pi

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by marty111 View Post
I'd go maximum for Getzlaf.
I'd try to go as high as it takes to go for Getzlaf/Perry if they hit UFA, then get under the cap by buying out, trading guys like Grabo,MacArthur and playing the kids.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:11 PM
RogerRoeper*

Bertuzzi was an all-star when he went to Florida.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:15 PM
Stephen

The Bertuzzi for Luongo deal at the time was more like a Joe Thornton for Carey Price type deal, so I don't think we have the chips to deal for a star goalie entering his prime.

I hope Nonis has the strength to just let the team spend some time at the bottom of the league, ignoring the 10 years of playoff futility in the meantime. Things might look pretty bright all of a sudden when we have a MacKinnon/Rielly/Biggs/Finn ready to break in in a year or two.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:35 PM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
It would have to be tempting for the all-star free agents to come Toronto, but it's not, so Nonis won't have to worry about that option.

Drew311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:39 PM
A1LeafNation
Thanks Boston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
It would have to be tempting for the all-star free agents to come Toronto, but it's not, so Nonis won't have to worry about that option.
Even Gretzky wanted to be a Leaf.

Im sure Perry would come here if the opportunity presents itself. Getzlaf is too slow for our team. We are a skating team, he is not a skater.

Old
01-28-2013, 09:43 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

I doubt Nonis is still with us in 6 months. Just keeper of the gates until we have access to real GM candidates after the season.

Woodman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:56 PM
Sundinftw

Every team has its own mold really. I can't really name two teams that are so similar in the way they are built.

Sundinftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:04 PM
Mystifo
Malkin To Kulemin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinftw View Post
Every team has its own mold really. I can't really name two teams that are so similar in the way they are built.
San Jose during the Heeter days and NYR currently.

All their guns on one line.

Mystifo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:09 PM
MakeTheIronSing

I'm not sure how much of a blueprint Vancouver has had as far as building goes.

Put people around the Sedins in every situation possible. Have two great goalies. Beat up on the Flames Oilers Avs and Wild 24 times a year.

MakeTheIronSing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:10 PM
MakeTheIronSing

Not saying they're not good or anything like that. I'm just saying, you can't make a blueprint for success, you simply make moves you think are right.

MakeTheIronSing is offline   Reply With Quote