HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers win 4-1

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-29-2013, 03:01 AM
  #226
Soundwave
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 24,185
vCash: 500
This win kinda showed me we need two more Teemu Hartikanen type players on this team.

Guys who will get in on the forecheck and are hard on the puck down there and then allow our skilled forwards to take over. Ideally one would be able to play center. They don't need to be big point players per se, just bring that energy into the game.

Basically it's the main thing the team is missing.

Good game for Magnus too.

Would really like the see Nugent Hopkins with Yakupov at some point. Eberle/Hall are fine with Gagner for a game or two.


Last edited by Soundwave: 01-29-2013 at 03:25 AM.
Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 03:43 AM
  #227
loller12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 86
vCash: 500
Man sucks how Whitney lost so much of his mobility, Whitney was a very mobile and smooth skater before his many injuries with the oil; and as result he cannot get the body position to cover the opposition and eventually takes bad penalties. It's quite evident he still has his passing but hes to slow to get into the areas where he needs to be in order to make that big break out pass, or even quarter backing the power play.

loller12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 04:01 AM
  #228
alphahelix
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,304
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by loller12 View Post
Man sucks how Whitney lost so much of his mobility, Whitney was a very mobile and smooth skater before his many injuries with the oil; and as result he cannot get the body position to cover the opposition and eventually takes bad penalties. It's quite evident he still has his passing but hes to slow to get into the areas where he needs to be in order to make that big break out pass, or even quarter backing the power play.
We all attribute his mobility issues to his injury, which I'm sure is fair enough and true to some extent - but the guy has been out of action FOREVER, in hockey time. I wonder if it is possible for him to regain a few steps just by playing - or if he really is up against his new physical limitations.

alphahelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 04:05 AM
  #229
T-Funk
Registered User
 
T-Funk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 8,968
vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahelix View Post
We all attribute his mobility issues to his injury, which I'm sure is fair enough and true to some extent - but the guy has been out of action FOREVER, in hockey time. I wonder if it is possible for him to regain a few steps just by playing - or if he really is up against his new physical limitations.
He looked fast, mobile, and in fact agile in TC. Pressure is on though and he can't do jack ****.

Methinks rust and not being able to process the game fast enough right now.

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 04:16 AM
  #230
UnrefinedCrude
Registered User
 
UnrefinedCrude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,917
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyakasha View Post
Really?...Hall should have had 1st Star, Dubnyk 2nd and Gagner with the 3rd.
I agree with this.

UnrefinedCrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 07:16 AM
  #231
McRib
2nd Rate Fan
 
McRib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Saskatoon
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,462
vCash: 500
Once Teemu figures out what to do with the puck when he's winning his down low battles, he'll be a pretty successful player.

Paajarvi has seemed to find a place in the line-up as well.

McRib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 07:30 AM
  #232
KapG
Registered User
 
KapG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,749
vCash: 500
Just an outsider who is wondering why fistric was scratched again. Was he not good in the first two games he played? What's the deal?

I ask because I own him in a keeper and he's my number 7 dman. Thing is I could use all the shtoi, bs and hits he throws up on the board.

Nice win btw.

KapG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 07:35 AM
  #233
Fourier
Registered User
 
Fourier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Waterloo Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,701
vCash: 500
While I still have reservations about Gagner's longterm sutability as the Oilers #2 I have to say that I am impressed by the effort he has put in this year. He is battling all over the ice and his work has paid off.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 07:39 AM
  #234
Pros and Cons
Registered User
 
Pros and Cons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Atlantic Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 805
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsomeDoc View Post
Shultz˛ - I like that
I like "Nultz" (Noltz) and "Jultz" (Jolts).


Noltz: The best at whatever you are doing, really "on top of things".
Jolts: To move or dislodge with a sudden, hard blow; strike heavily or jarringly


Last edited by Pros and Cons: 01-29-2013 at 07:47 AM.
Pros and Cons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 07:59 AM
  #235
DousedInOil
Registered User
 
DousedInOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Katy <3
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KapG View Post
Just an outsider who is wondering why fistric was scratched again. Was he not good in the first two games he played? What's the deal?

I ask because I own him in a keeper and he's my number 7 dman. Thing is I could use all the shtoi, bs and hits he throws up on the board.

Nice win btw.
They are alternating Fistric and Potter as the 6th dman.

DousedInOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:13 AM
  #236
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,068
vCash: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
This win kinda showed me we need two more Teemu Hartikanen type players on this team.

Guys who will get in on the forecheck and are hard on the puck down there and then allow our skilled forwards to take over. Ideally one would be able to play center. They don't need to be big point players per se, just bring that energy into the game.

Basically it's the main thing the team is missing.

Good game for Magnus too.

Would really like the see Nugent Hopkins with Yakupov at some point. Eberle/Hall are fine with Gagner for a game or two.
Really liked Harti and Prv together. Going to be tough to break them up as they seem to be a duo that knows what the other is thinking. I'd almost want to put a skilled center with them, but then again I don't know that Gagner or RNH would even fit with them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KapG View Post
Just an outsider who is wondering why fistric was scratched again. Was he not good in the first two games he played? What's the deal?

I ask because I own him in a keeper and he's my number 7 dman. Thing is I could use all the shtoi, bs and hits he throws up on the board.

Nice win btw.
Sure was odd how Spector said don't worry Oiler fans this is something that isn't going to happen that much more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
While I still have reservations about Gagner's longterm sutability as the Oilers #2 I have to say that I am impressed by the effort he has put in this year. He is battling all over the ice and his work has paid off.
Sure, but take away his recent 5 game point streak and he's Mr.Inconsistent

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:14 AM
  #237
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,389
vCash: 612
Far from a perfect game, but the Oilers got the win, scored first and held the lead all game.

Dubnyk was huge in the 3rd period.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:17 AM
  #238
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
While I still have reservations about Gagner's longterm sutability as the Oilers #2 I have to say that I am impressed by the effort he has put in this year. He is battling all over the ice and his work has paid off.
Good for you for acknowledging it. Its of course completely consistent with the longterm view that Gagner is a fit here with the right kind of linemates. Ones that have any offensive potential certainly help. Gagners stronger this year and did the right training in the offseason. His focus and consistency is better but I thought it was for much of last season as well and that only his ankle injury slowed him down earlier in the year. The thing you gotta like about Gagner is how he improves facets of his game each year.

Where he's improved: Shooting, puck battles, getting to the net more, and playing with more confidence which is a natural byproduct of playing with good players.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:18 AM
  #239
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,068
vCash: 95
Just a side question does it really matter if we aren't scoring at even strength is we are drawing penalties?

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:22 AM
  #240
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,240
vCash: 500
Overall this game, while pleasing, was very much a product of the opponent we're facing. From the first period on it was evident that our talented forwards were going to be giving the Av's fits. This is good, but how it was obtained tells the whole story. The Oilers gained open ice virtually at will against the AV's and especially on the PP where the AV's looked defenseless. Look at the time and room people had in the offensive zone compared to the game before against Calgary. That, and being ahead was the whole story. Good that we got the lead, but Colorado with injury trouble is hurting right now.

Bad 3rd period as well. Seemed like we needed the 3 goal margin.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:23 AM
  #241
CornKicker
Locked Out
 
CornKicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,430
vCash: 50
Dubnyk made some huge saves, on his goal he should have gone into his butterfly but you could tell he was anticipating a pass so he could slide across. he expected the dman to block the guy from coming out front.

gagner and nuge need to swap imo, hall and eberle are the ones carrying the puck and nuge is being wasted imo. let nuge control the play for yak and let hemsky run shotgun.


also please swap gagner and hemskys position on the pp, hemsky is bad on the half wall and gagner is great there imo.


also ryan whitneys value goes up significantly if he starts roughing people up and possibly fighting a few times. just like souray when he played dad and fought anyone standing about the goalie.

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:24 AM
  #242
CornKicker
Locked Out
 
CornKicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,430
vCash: 50
and one more thing, the ice at rexall cost us 2 maybe 3 goals with hopping pucks and bouncing passes.

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:30 AM
  #243
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Just a side question does it really matter if we aren't scoring at even strength is we are drawing penalties?
A couple obvious things with this.

1) NHL is in changed rules crackdown mode right now so theres plenty of calls. I don't think the amount of PP's everybody is getting is sustainable...

2)Who wants to be solely PP reliant? That makes a club the Vancouver Canucks and when end of season and playoff non calls again become the rule of the day the well dries up. Being king of PP's in NHL is being king of nothing.

Speaking of Kings LA won the cup last season while spotting arguably the worst PP in the league much of the season. Painfully bad PP. Good teams thrive at evens.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:31 AM
  #244
Moose Coleman
Registered User
 
Moose Coleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
This win kinda showed me we need two more Teemu Hartikanen type players on this team.

Guys who will get in on the forecheck and are hard on the puck down there and then allow our skilled forwards to take over. Ideally one would be able to play center. They don't need to be big point players per se, just bring that energy into the game.

Basically it's the main thing the team is missing.

Good game for Magnus too.

Would really like the see Nugent Hopkins with Yakupov at some point. Eberle/Hall are fine with Gagner for a game or two.
I agree. I think Ganger has earned his shot with the top guys and 93 is having some trouble finding a groove. He's looked incrementally better each game, but maybe a change of linemates would jump start him.

I wonder how Harti/PRV would work with Horcoff as a third line combo. Smyth, Belanger and (when healthy) Jones would be a fine fourth line.

Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:43 AM
  #245
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,068
vCash: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post

gagner and nuge need to swap imo, hall and eberle are the ones carrying the puck and nuge is being wasted imo. let nuge control the play for yak and let hemsky run shotgun.



.
Then you pretty much take Hemsky out of the play. Almost need to then put Hemsky back with Horc and Smyth.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:44 AM
  #246
MeestaDeteta
Registered User
 
MeestaDeteta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Saskazoo
Posts: 7,431
vCash: 139
I'm not overly concerned about the lack of scoring 5 on 5, we have had lots of chances, just not converting yet. The goals will come.

Oilers played great the first two periods, and then let off the gas in the third. I thought Dubnyk played a real solid game, with his typical 1 softie goal.

The kid line looked really good tonight. Hall in particular was creating lots of chances, just not able to cash in unfortunately.

Gagner has been quite solid so far this year. Putting up points and playing reliable hockey. Hemsky had a few too many give aways, but he played well I thought. Yakupov had a bad night, but that's to be expected as a young rookie.

Justin Schultz... wow, what an amazing player. He is so good offensively, but he's just as solid defensively. He will be a beauty player for us.

Hartikainen played his best game this year.

I still think we need at least one more player in a similar mould as Hartikainen to help provide some balance to our line-up, a guy like Clowe would be ideal.

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:45 AM
  #247
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,068
vCash: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
A couple obvious things with this.

1) NHL is in changed rules crackdown mode right now so theres plenty of calls. I don't think the amount of PP's everybody is getting is sustainable...

2)Who wants to be solely PP reliant? That makes a club the Vancouver Canucks and when end of season and playoff non calls again become the rule of the day the well dries up. Being king of PP's in NHL is being king of nothing.

Speaking of Kings LA won the cup last season while spotting arguably the worst PP in the league much of the season. Painfully bad PP. Good teams thrive at evens.
Making the playoffs would be enough for me.

It's not that I disagree that we'll need good 5-on-5 if we want to go far I just don't think it's that big of an issue at the moment because guys are at least generating chances.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:46 AM
  #248
jadeddog
Registered User
 
jadeddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Posts: 11,818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Good for you for acknowledging it. Its of course completely consistent with the longterm view that Gagner is a fit here with the right kind of linemates. Ones that have any offensive potential certainly help. Gagners stronger this year and did the right training in the offseason. His focus and consistency is better but I thought it was for much of last season as well and that only his ankle injury slowed him down earlier in the year. The thing you gotta like about Gagner is how he improves facets of his game each year.

Where he's improved: Shooting, puck battles, getting to the net more, and playing with more confidence which is a natural byproduct of playing with good players.
gagner doesn't get nearly enough credit for working on all facets of his game each and every year... he has (albeit slowly) molded himself into a somewhat competent 2-way center who's battle-level is fairly high... he'll never be big enough to play a "big mans" game, but you can very rarely complain that he isn't trying out there

gagner will slow down, as there is no way he continues at a PPG pace for the entire season, but he's a good player at 0.70 PPG as well... as i said in another post, he was one of the most productive 2nd liners in the entire league the last couple of seasons (PPG wise).... i have a place for gagner on my team any day

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:49 AM
  #249
jadeddog
Registered User
 
jadeddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Posts: 11,818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
A couple obvious things with this.

1) NHL is in changed rules crackdown mode right now so theres plenty of calls. I don't think the amount of PP's everybody is getting is sustainable...

2)Who wants to be solely PP reliant? That makes a club the Vancouver Canucks and when end of season and playoff non calls again become the rule of the day the well dries up. Being king of PP's in NHL is being king of nothing.

Speaking of Kings LA won the cup last season while spotting arguably the worst PP in the league much of the season. Painfully bad PP. Good teams thrive at evens.
if we weren't generating tons of chances, i'd be worried... but we ARE generating lots of EV chances, so i'm NOT worried (and neither should anybody else be worried)

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:53 AM
  #250
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
if we weren't generating tons of chances, i'd be worried... but we ARE generating lots of EV chances, so i'm NOT worried (and neither should anybody else be worried)
WE generated few EV chances in the Calgary game. We weren't gaining space and working through the checking well. Throw a half decent blanket on our offense and theres not much fight back. We saw that with the youth at the AHL level and now here. The tight checking clubs are giving us fits. The Columbus, Colorado type clubs are the free bingo squares on the calendar. There aren't many.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:41 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.