HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free agent status of junior/NCAA prospects.

Closed Thread

Old
03-09-2005, 11:15 AM
Chet-Nick

vCash: 500
Free agent status of junior/NCAA prospects.

Much has been made of Crosby's decision to seek employment in either Europe or the upstart WHA if there's no draft. That's his right as an adult. Along with his flattering words (in regards to free agency) for the Montreal Canadiens organization, "It depends n the situation, but I think that would be my dream come true - to play for Montreal."

Contrary to the many rumours. With no CBA, NHL teams are not permitted to sign players. So, that's clearly out of the question. No matter what level they're at. AHL clubs, on the other hand, can. No player or agent will risk their reputation to ink a deal should the NHL seek replacement players.

Like every team, Montreal has a few players that are graduating from junior this year (Lapierre, D. Stewart, Halak, Flood, Bonneau, etc.). Like Ward, Hainsey and Begin, these kids could sign a direct contract with Hamilton this summer/fall. Many prospects will likely follow this avenue.

If I had the power. Those who were eligible to be drafted in 2005, would have to wait another year. Playing another year of junior, NCAA or Europe wouldn't hurt their development. Any thoughts?

Old
03-09-2005, 12:19 PM
KILLger

Send a message via ICQ to KILLger Send a message via MSN to KILLger
I think it'd be a good opportunity to make the drafting age older.

Drafting guys at 20 would make it much more a "known business".

Old
03-09-2005, 01:49 PM
CGG

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLger
I think it'd be a good opportunity to make the drafting age older.

Drafting guys at 20 would make it much more a "known business".
There's a whole pile of reasons why this won't work. Some 18 year olds are too darn good to not be in the NHL, and, as an adult, should be able to. Eric Lindros came pretty close to challenging the 18-year old rule, and almost signed on to play in the NHL at age 17. He would have had to go in the draft after his first year though. I'm sure Crosby and a few other big name juniors would try the same thing if the draft age was suddenly 20.

Old
03-09-2005, 02:11 PM
KILLger

Send a message via ICQ to KILLger Send a message via MSN to KILLger
Quote:
Originally Posted by gc2005
There's a whole pile of reasons why this won't work. Some 18 year olds are too darn good to not be in the NHL, and, as an adult, should be able to. Eric Lindros came pretty close to challenging the 18-year old rule, and almost signed on to play in the NHL at age 17. He would have had to go in the draft after his first year though. I'm sure Crosby and a few other big name juniors would try the same thing if the draft age was suddenly 20.
These are exceptions that come to confirm the rule. Players drafted at 18 are an unknown quantity and many prove to be a waste of time and money.

I don't know if something could be worked up, but I believe it'd be for the best to raise the age for drafted players.

Old
03-09-2005, 02:21 PM
Carbo N8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLger
These are exceptions that come to confirm the rule. Players drafted at 18 are an unknown quantity and many prove to be a waste of time and money.

I don't know if something could be worked up, but I believe it'd be for the best to raise the age for drafted players.
Everybody in hockey except the players & agents would love to see that, but, this would be challenged in the courts before the ink had a chance to dry on the paperwork.

Closed Thread