Notices

watching the jets - any ideas?

Old
01-28-2013, 08:14 PM
pcanuck

vCash: 500
watching the jets - any ideas?

Hello everyone,

Does anyone have ideas for those of us out West or East of the regional TSN Jets broadcasts on picking up the hockey games on tv? Centre Ice does not cover any home games in Winnipeg unless they are broadcast elsewhere. For instance, last night when I should have been watching the game, we had MN v. STL. We also don't get the TSN Jets channel anywhere out West (or in EDM where I live).

Any options people know about?
thanks!

pcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:16 PM
Pavelec4MVP
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
I cant figure out why it wouldnt be on center ice

but i wanted to watch the habs game last night and it wasnt on CI either here in Winnipeg.

Your best bet would be a online stream

Most Valuable Player
Most Valuable Player
Pavelec4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:18 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Glass Half Full

vCash: 406
GameCenter is $50 for the year - works well for me.

YWGinYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:18 PM
Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcanuck View Post
Hello everyone,

Does anyone have ideas for those of us out West or East of the regional TSN Jets broadcasts on picking up the hockey games on tv? Centre Ice does not cover any home games in Winnipeg unless they are broadcast elsewhere. For instance, last night when I should have been watching the game, we had MN v. STL. We also don't get the TSN Jets channel anywhere out West (or in EDM where I live).

thanks!
Unfortunately the only thing I can suggest is get NHL Gamecentre live and connect your computer to your TV via HDMI

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:21 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

That's interesting. Only thing I can think of is that Center Ice considers you in Alberta still part of the Jets "region" and so they won't broadcast local games there. Which makes no sense, but only thing I can think of. That is very frustrating though.

Center Ice will pick up any broadcast for anybody outside of Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba for sure.

Never had Gamecentre, don't know how it works per se, but other people seem to believe you will be able to get "local" games on it.

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:29 PM
pcanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
That's interesting. Only thing I can think of is that Center Ice considers you in Alberta still part of the Jets "region" and so they won't broadcast local games there. Which makes no sense, but only thing I can think of. That is very frustrating though.

Center Ice will pick up any broadcast for anybody outside of Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba for sure.

Never had Gamecentre, don't know how it works per se, but other people seem to believe you will be able to get "local" games on it.
I Wish centre ice operated that way. It totally sucks - this happened last year too. I couldn't ever get the jets channel. I could get outside broadcasts but now it looks like they've dumped that. Tomorrow's Jets v. Habs is also not televised on centre ice at all - TSN is showing PIT v. NYI ... all I know is that those ********* bast**** at TSN and Bell are screwing over hockey fans in their money making ideas. Then they wonder why we go through directv, online ...

pcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:39 PM
razorsedge

Quote:
Hello everyone,

thanks!
NHL gamecenter. You have the option to watch either the home or away teams broadcast. Last season i hooked up my laptop to my tv via hdmi. This season Xbox added the gamecenter app, which you can use if you have xbox live gold membership.

I like gamecenter because of the optional devices to watch it on. Ipad, iPod, smart phone, laptop, Xbox, smart tv, media box. When the Jets played Boston mid day last Monday, I sat in my chiropractors waiting room and watched the game on my android phone.

razorsedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:56 PM
MrGrinch

A few comments to make in relation to this thread...

- As a general rule of thumb for NHLCI only Bell shows TSN-Jets and TSN-Habs channels. This is because they own TSN and other carriers are often required to use the alternate team feed. I thought this issue was resolved last year, but evidently not if some of you are still having problems.

- King, the Montreal game was carried in SD but not in HD yesterday. This was because the only English provider of the game yesterday was MSG+ (Canadian coverage was on French RDS which NHLCI never uses). There is a lengthy legal battle between the NHL and MSG on HD carriage costs and currently NHLCI is not allowed to carry any MSG games broadcast in HD (teams like NYR, NYI, NJD, and Sabres). Thus the only English feed available was in SD so thats only what was used.

- Gamecentre would be good option as they give you home/away feeds but I've heard mixed reviews on this technology.

- pcanuck, if you are stuck for tomorrows game feel free to send me a PM with your email address and I will give you temporary access to my slingbox. I can stream TSN-Jets games in HD... but unfortunately to only one person at a time.

MrGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:56 PM
Trigger15

I'm in Calgary and am having the same issue with my CI package. I'm with Telus and last year CI was awesome. I caught every Jets broadcast and CI always showed me the TSN Jets feed.

This year Telus has screwed us and they don't show any TSN Jets feeds. I had the Boston game the other night but only the Boston feed. Last nights game wasn't available at all and tomorrows games vs the Habs isn't showing up in my Telus guide.

I've already complained to Telus over the phone, twitter and email. The Telus twitter support person responded saying that this year they (Telus) might have signed a different contract with the NHL. If this isn't fixed by the time the free preview is over (I'm holding out hope that somehow it's responsible for the missing games, as last year was fine) I'm calling again to give them an earful and demanding a refund. I'm especially angry because apparently Shaw is showing all the Jets games on their NHL CI package here in Calgary.

Trigger15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:39 AM
MrGrinch

My offer still stands to any out of towners here on HF who want to watch this game on TSN-Jets online through my slingbox. It's a really clear HD feed (streamed at about 2 Mbps) with no popups, spyware, or other advertisements. Can only stream to one person though (FCFS)...

Old
01-29-2013, 11:00 AM
sully1410

I have both Centre Ice and TSN Jets and I live just outside of Calgary now. You can actually get the Jets channel through Telus Satelite. I'm not sure if its on Optik TV or not though. So the games are usually on one or the other.

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 11:53 AM
Libertyhaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGrinch View Post
My offer still stands to any out of towners here on HF who want to watch this game on TSN-Jets online through my slingbox. It's a really clear HD feed (streamed at about 2 Mbps) with no popups, spyware, or other advertisements. Can only stream to one person though (FCFS)...
You should stream games on Justin.tv. On another jets forum I'm on we had a guy streaming all the games on there last year... it was awesome. There seems to be a real need for this, mostly guys from out west who cant get tsn jets lol

Libertyhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:15 PM
MrGrinch

Would love to, but I don't have the hardware. All I have is the slingbox which I bought as I travel quite a bit and want access to my TSN-Jets and NHL Centre Ice wherever I may be...

Old
01-29-2013, 12:27 PM
Soble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertyhaze View Post
You should stream games on Justin.tv. On another jets forum I'm on we had a guy streaming all the games on there last year... it was awesome. There seems to be a real need for this, mostly guys from out west who cant get tsn jets lol
Not sure if justin.tv works anymore. I watched some games early last year while in Asia but later in the year it did not work. I could be wrong though.

I have Rogers CentreIce in Toronto and I'm terrified tonight's game will not be shown.

Soble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:29 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

I was living in Calgary last season and had NHL CI with Shaw.

They usually had the TSN Jets feed.

Except on Saturdays they would not televise any Jets games due to rights issues with CBC.

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:33 PM
Libertyhaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soble View Post
Not sure if justin.tv works anymore. I watched some games early last year while in Asia but later in the year it did not work. I could be wrong though.

I have Rogers CentreIce in Toronto and I'm terrified tonight's game will not be shown.
It still works. I watch alot of games on JTV. Lots of unadvertised streams, usually better quality than firstrow sports

Old
01-29-2013, 12:35 PM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 234
This is why I don't want to support Centre Ice. If you're going to charge us for the service, then make ****ing sure that we can watch ALL of the games. **** your regional blackout money making schemes.

DespoticNewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:38 PM
bluefan

vCash: 159
I use a proxy with my Gamecenter Live. Don't need to pay for a separate TSN Jets channel

bluefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:40 PM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
Simple Solution guys

Step 1) Move back to Winnipeg

Step 2) Buy TSN Jets

bigplay41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:48 PM
Libertyhaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefan View Post
I use a proxy with my Gamecenter Live. Don't need to pay for a separate TSN Jets channel
I always wondered if this would work, now i know...

You just punch in an american proxy and youre good to go?

Old
01-29-2013, 12:58 PM
bluefan

vCash: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertyhaze View Post
I always wondered if this would work, now i know...

You just punch in an american proxy and youre good to go?
I tried it with last nights VAN@LA game. Without my proxy on it told me to tune into TSN, with it on, could watch it on my laptop in bed no problem. Going to try it with the Jets@Habs game tonight, should work.

bluefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:07 PM
Yukon Joe

vCash: 624
Quote:
Hello everyone,

thanks!
Weird. I also live in Edmonton. Last year for Centre Ice they always gave me the TSN Jets feed, and always had the game (except for those stupid Saturday games).

This year though I bought GCL. Used it for the first time on Sunday and it worked flawlessly.

Yukon Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:09 PM
Yukon Joe

vCash: 624
As a total aside, I wonder how TSN will handle tonight's game.

They have the two regional channels - TSN-Jets and TSN-Habs. Will they do two separate productions, or will they cheap out and just have one and share it between the two channels.

I don't think it came up last year because the WPG-MTL games were nationally broadcast on either TSN or CBC.

Yukon Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:16 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
GameCenter is $50 for the year - works well for me.
Exactly. This is basically life changing for me, best $50 ever.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:22 PM
StronGeer
PavOut #BuyOut

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
Exactly. This is basically life changing for me, best $50 ever.
I agree, I read this thread, paid the $50 and fired it up on my xbox.

So.... Beautiful...

StronGeer is online now   Reply With Quote