HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Is Alain Vigneault the worst coach in the NHL right now?

Old
01-29-2013, 02:58 PM
dss97

vCash: 500
I think he's a great coach.. One of the better ones in the NHL actually.

I was really hoping he was going to get fired last year after the Canucks choked in the first round.

dss97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:58 PM
GetThePuckOut

vCash: 1081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver_2010 View Post
What's wrong with Hartley? Dude has won at every level. He's playing a very exciting system that so far has made J-Bo look like a superstar.

Yes Calgary's had a few losses, but every game has been close, and Flames have improved with every game. This is a better team than the 1-2-1 record indicates, especially with Hudler and Cervenka added to the mix. Watch and see, this Flames team is gonna surprise people.

GetThePuckOut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:59 PM
topched88

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodluckchuck View Post
AV has been here since 06 season, since then his playoff record is as follows:

2006-2007: lost in second round
2007-2008: Did not qualify
2008–09: lost in second round
2009–10: lost in second round
2010–11: choked in first round after being up 3 - 0, it had to go to a game 7 ot for the canucks to win. Then the team got absolutely demolished by the inferior Bruins and lost game 7 on home ice.
2011–12: lost in first round to an 8th seed

The core is aging, he has tried to run a great goalie out of town, he keeps looking clueless on the bench while chewing 10 gums at once, mismanges players injuries, mismanages player ice time, does not know how or when to adjust, tries to get everyone play to his system rather than the other way.

I am done with this guy.
Leave it to a typical venting canucks fan to turn the best year weve had In franchise history into a complete failure. Sometimes its frustrating being a fan of this team when people do this *****.

The playoff record you described above is arguably one of the best 6 year periods any coach has ever had in history behind the bench of the canucks, so I'd like you to find a coach whos currently avaliable that had more playoff sucess in the prior 6 years to his last firing.

This team is missing a second line coming off back to back presidents trophies and losing to the cup champions 3 years in a row, and we are off to a .500 start with no training camp and short prep period. Sure he never got it done and won a cup, but after that his record looks pretty good.

So who is avaliable right now that is better? What are the canucks and myself missing with being so unhappy with this guy?

topched88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 03:02 PM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched88 View Post
Leave it to a typical venting canucks fan to turn the best year weve had In franchise history into a complete failure. Sometimes its frustrating being a fan of this team when people do this *****.

The playoff record you described above is arguably one of the best 6 year periods any coach has ever had in history behind the bench of the canucks, so I'd like you to find a coach whos currently avaliable that had more playoff sucess in the prior 6 years to his last firing.

This team is missing a second line coming off back to back presidents trophies and losing to the cup champions 3 years in a row, and we are off to a .500 start with no training camp and short prep period. Sure he never got it done and won a cup, but after that his record looks pretty good. Can someone explain to me how he is even in the conversation of being worst coach in the leauge?
Compare the playoff record of the other top teams over the last 6 years. Seriously.

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 03:04 PM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBlazer View Post
What's wrong with Hartley? Dude has won at every level. He's playing a very exciting system that so far has made J-Bo look like a superstar.

Yes Calgary's had a few losses, but every game has been close, and Flames have improved with every game. This is a better team than the 1-2-1 record indicates, especially with Hudler and Cervenka added to the mix. Watch and see, this Flames team is gonna surprise people.
I have to admit i haven't watch any of the flames game outside vancouver and oilers game this season, so all the best to your team....

Or not... : P

Vancouver_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 03:05 PM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

Quote:

This team is missing a second line coming off back to back presidents trophies and losing to the cup champions 3 years in a row, and we are off to a .500 start with no training camp and short prep period. Sure he never got it done and won a cup, but after that his record looks pretty good.

So who is avaliable right now that is better? What are the canucks and myself missing with being so unhappy with this guy?
That is because of Mike Gillis, do you think AV can replicate the so call success with our WCE era players?

Old
01-29-2013, 03:07 PM
goodluckchuck

Quote:

Typical delusional thinking.

We are stuck with this guy for 3 more years. No way aquilini's pay off this guys contract and firing him. Resigning him after losing to an 8th seed was the worst thing this organization has done.

Wow, 6 seasons and he was successful once. Even then, we almost choked that away.

Honestly, at some point you have to look deep into it and say that he has done the best he could. He really did. Game 7 of finals on home ice. That was his best. He couldn't do it, find someone else that will.

goodluckchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 03:08 PM
freakydave

Quote:
That is because of Mike Gillis, do you think AV can replicate the so call success with our WCE era players?
Is this a joke?
Without Luongo AV's tenure in Vancouver would have been a short one.
People who think AV is good coach give him credit for winning & blame the players for the losses.

freakydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 03:11 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Jacques Martin is... If he ever gets back into the league.

He's afraid to call timeouts. Thinks they stockpile.
Whether the habs are winning, or losing he didn't want them to take the attack to the opposition.
No matter what happened, Scott Gomez would never be sat, but Eller would be.7
Didn't show any emotion.
Was just completely terrible.

Vigneault has done well for the most part. His failing was when he couldn't get the Canucks to stay away from Boston hockey.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 03:15 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
This

A good coach gets the best out of his players. And a good coach adjusts his system to cater the players strengths. Av however likes only certain types of players cause he needs them to make his system work.

This just shows how poor of a coach you are.

Take a good look at the la Lakers. They have the worst possible coach for that team because he only has 1 system and if it fails, he looks clueless on the bench
Great point. Perfect example of a coach who is losing games for his team.

D'Antoni has an aging roster with two all-star centers, and he chooses an up-tempo run'n'gun style. As a result, his 7-footers are settling for 3-pt jumpers. It's ridiculously stupid.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 03:16 PM
Lemmiwinks

Quote:
UM...??

The coach implements the game plan and tells their players what to do. If the player doesn't do what the coach says to do, they will get put in the dog house.

I'm sorry, but I don't see your argument here what so ever.
The coach can implement a game plan all he friggen wants; that's only a small part of what wins games. You act as if hockey is a chess match, and that a coach dictates every move his players make. A game plan is just that: a plan. Nothing more. The players must perform, and with an injured forward squad its not much of a surprise that we're a modest .500.

And if putting players in the dog house is your best solution, you've lost all credibility as a coaching critic. Not that you had much anyway.

Lemmiwinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 03:17 PM
rfournier103

Quote:

200809: lost in second round
200910: lost in second round
201011: choked in first round after being up 3 - 0, it had to go to a game 7 ot for the canucks to win. Then the team got absolutely demolished by the inferior Bruins and lost game 7 on home ice.
201112: lost in first round to an 8th seed

The core is aging, he has tried to run a great goalie out of town, he keeps looking clueless on the bench while chewing 10 gums at once, mismanges players injuries, mismanages player ice time, does not know how or when to adjust, tries to get everyone play to his system rather than the other way.

I am done with this guy.
What do you think Toronto, Florida, or Washington would give up for A.V.? He's a very good coach, and they're just off to a bad start. It happens. Believe me, there could be alot worse...

rfournier103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 03:20 PM
e46330ivs*

hockey aside, the man is a great guy, we belong to the same golf club in the summer and have had the pleasure of playing a few rounds with him and sitting on the patio for a brew after, really good dude. Billy Smith/Briere/Giroux are also members, fun place to be in the summer.

e46330ivs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 03:20 PM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfournier103 View Post
What do you think Toronto, Florida, or Washington would give up for A.V.? He's a very good coach, and they're just off to a bad start. It happens. Believe me, there could be alot worse...
A one way plane ticket to [insert hockey team here].

Old
01-29-2013, 03:21 PM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46330ivs View Post
hockey aside, the man is a great guy, we belong to the same golf club in the summer and have had the pleasure of playing a few rounds with him and sitting on the patio for a brew after, really good dude. Billy Smith/Briere/Giroux are also members, fun place to be in the summer.
I used to be friends with Billy Smiths son.

Old
01-29-2013, 03:23 PM
Lemmiwinks

Personally, I've been surprised at the amount of success this team has had. On paper, I don't think we should be in the same league as teams like Boston, Philly or Pittsburgh. But somehow we have. Look at players like Higgens, Hansen, Lappiere, even Burrows. Canucks fans have come to expect a lot from them, and indeed this team relies on them a great deal. But these players have gone way farther than anyone thought they would have. They were aquired for nothing and then became considerable pieces on our roster.
I would say AV has gotten the most out of these players, no?

Lemmiwinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 03:23 PM
e46330ivs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
I used to be friends with Billy Smiths son.
never spoke to Billy other then the quick wave, he sits on the patio drinking something on the rocks and smoking out the patio with his fat cigars, Vigneault always sits with him at mens night.

e46330ivs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 03:27 PM
goodluckchuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemmiwinks View Post
Personally, I've been surprised at the amount of success this team has had. On paper, I don't think we should be in the same league as teams like Boston, Philly or Pittsburgh. But somehow we have. Look at players like Higgens, Hansen, Lappiere, even Burrows. Canucks fans have come to expect a lot from them, and indeed this team relies on them a great deal. But these players have gone way farther than anyone thought they would have. They were aquired for nothing and then became considerable pieces on our roster.
I would say AV has gotten the most out of these players, no?
like i said, his best was game 7 on ice, and he lost. Now it's time to find someone else before the core completely collapses.

goodluckchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 03:29 PM
Karl Pilkington

Just my late two cents..

I'm a habs fan so I know a little about Vignault.. he seems to take a soft approach to things.. Even after adapting his style a little over the years since he was the habs coach you can see it in the way Canuck players give interviews, they tend to have a very soft attitude in terms of blaming refs, getting indignant about questions from reporters, general sarcasm... his softness is the thing preventing the Canucks from winning a cup at this point (and has been, especially in the SCF a couple of years ago).. in the end he is missing that KILLER instinct level... as a person that's an amazing quality.. as a coach of a competitive sport its an enormous hindrance.

Karl Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 03:36 PM
DL44

vCash: 133
Quote:
fantastic job on using Aaron Rome over Keith Ballard, using Ebbett instead of any nhl servicable player in the team, using useless players over useful players. It's lucky for him that Gillis is able to assemble one of the best canucks team in canucks history, allowing the team to win despite him.
Rome over Ballard proved to be the right move in the SCF when he forced to put Ballard in after the suspension. It was frightful when he was on the ice. You just chose to forget that tidbit?

The rest is blind speculation.

DL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 03:39 PM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Pilkington View Post
Just my late two cents..

I'm a habs fan so I know a little about Vignault.. he seems to take a soft approach to things.. Even after adapting his style a little over the years since he was the habs coach you can see it in the way Canuck players give interviews, they tend to have a very soft attitude in terms of blaming refs, getting indignant about questions from reporters, general sarcasm... his softness is the thing preventing the Canucks from winning a cup at this point (and has been, especially in the SCF a couple of years ago).. in the end he is missing that KILLER instinct level... as a person that's an amazing quality.. as a coach of a competitive sport its an enormous hindrance.
Sedins are never going to have this same "killer instinct" you talk about.

Though the other player have engaged in **** talking players and off course burrows with refs (auger).

Gillis though has stated he doesnt want this.

Old
01-29-2013, 03:39 PM
Choralone

vCash: 100
Quote:
Just my late two cents..

I've never heard such drivel in all my life.

Choralone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 03:43 PM
DL44

vCash: 133
Quote:

200809: lost in second round
200910: lost in second round
201011: choked in first round after being up 3 - 0, it had to go to a game 7 ot for the canucks to win. Then the team got absolutely demolished by the inferior Bruins and lost game 7 on home ice.
201112: lost in first round to an 8th seed
OR...

2006-2007: Won 1st round without any offence, lost the SCF champs
200809: Won the 1st round, lost to the Hawks
200910: Won the 1st round, lost to the SCF champs
201011: Won 3 rounds in a run to gm 7 of the SCF
201112: lost in first round to the SCF champs

DL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 03:45 PM
12345*

Quote:
Just my late two cents..

You clearly haven't played a team sport in your life. The coach's intensity is irrelevant. You play for yourself and the guys beside you, not the guy behind you. Strategy, tactics, rationale and player personnel is the coach's job. Intensity, passion, competitiveness, execution is on the players. No coach can drive the things players need to do. Coaches can yell, scream, bag skate the team - it doesn't matter. If the players have no chemistry and don't want to play for some reason, they won't. Some old man screaming behind you doesn't change that.

12345* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 03:47 PM
freakydave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL44 View Post
Rome over Ballard proved to be the right move in the SCF when he forced to put Ballard in after the suspension. It was frightful when he was on the ice. You just chose to forget that tidbit?

The rest is blind speculation.
Rome the guy who cheapshotted Horton & basically turned the Momentum against the Canucks.Yeah that was a great call.Ballard was mismanaged by AV from the day he arrived.

freakydave is offline   Reply With Quote