HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jordan Schroeder Appreciation Thread!

Old
02-10-2013, 01:58 AM
ferroid

vCash: 500
Honestly, despite the fact that he scored, I wasn't really a fan of him on the top PP unit.

Great game overall though.

ferroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 02:00 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucksfan8888 View Post
Raymond is a million times better than last year, it helps having a center who knows how to pass and is willing to(not Kesler in the last couple seasons).

Schroeder is a perfect dose of offensive creativity without being a defensive liability. Also I'm honestly very surprised with how often the puck goes where he wants it to after a scrum, surprised but happy. An he hasn't been getting knocked down nearly as much as I thought he would.

As a bonus looks smart enough to play with the Sedins, never hurts to have options when it comes to that spot especially on the powerplay.

Great surprise all around in the sense I thought he would establish himself, but not this quickly in this large of a role.
Schroeder certainly isn't a "star" player but what he is ... is a guy who you use to augment a lineup. The big positive is they have properly developed his 2-way game to NHL standards. Hey 2 give-aways to 5 take-aways in his first few games.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 02:26 AM
Ronning On Empty
Formerly BleachClean

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
Hey now, I want in on this praise. I have been supporting him too!!

You want some crow served?

Read from http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...936843&page=26 onwards. The praise begins earlier in that thread but this point is when the critics come out and it gets good and entertaining. I like post #658 =D

Here's some praise for you too feebster: PRAIZZZZe.

The crux of the argument in that thread revolved around production. Some (including myself) were concerned about his production in the AHL. There was still trepidation this year in fact! But that thread changed perceptions for two reasons:

1) The point about a 1:1 goals to assist ratio made by DTS. There were people that definitely gave him the benefit of the doubt after that point was made. I was one. My stance on it being a determinant of future success definitely softened.

2) People learning over the longer data set that CHI's offense just wasn't that good. So you had to really apply a new eye to what you were seeing. Now we have two incidents with Hodgson and Schroeder (even Kassian) where their AHL production belied their NHL ability to produce. The alarm bells with poor AHL production will no longer be there.

After watching him more that year and this year during the lockout, it was clear that at least his Dzone game had improved over that span. Which, as we know with AV, only allowed him the time and the confidence to start producing. Good on him to take advantage of that... But now I just want all of our prospects off the Wolves roster...

Ronning On Empty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 02:37 AM
Wisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
. But now I just want all of our prospects off the Wolves roster...
Alarm bells for me was Kassian's all-star production in Rochester vs his modest production in Chicago.

Wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 02:40 AM
El Duderino

Definitely just saw Jordan on Granville! If you're reading this (and you probably are jordan) I was the obnoxious drunk who called you a boss. Jordan seemed really humble and waved at us. I wish I gott a pucture

El Duderino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 02:41 AM
Wisp

Quote:
Raymond is a million times better than last year, it helps having a center who knows how to pass and is willing to(not Kesler in the last couple seasons).
I think the working spine probably deserves greater credit.

Old
02-10-2013, 02:42 AM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisp View Post
Alarm bells for me was Kassian's all-star production in Rochester vs his modest production in Chicago.
I don't know if its just the Chicago part. Look at Hodgson's stats in Manitoba. I think its the system they play mixed with the lack of high quality dmen in the system.

Scottrockztheworld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 02:44 AM
Ronning On Empty
Formerly BleachClean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
I don't know if its just the Chicago part. Look at Hodgson's stats in Manitoba. I think its the system they play mixed with the lack of high quality dmen in the system.
Yes, system. Not a direct indictment on CHI itself, as the system was shared in both CHI and MTB.

Old
02-10-2013, 03:04 AM
Jevo

Interesting stat about Schroeder after his first 9 NHL games is that he is yet to be on the ice for a goal against, as the only Canuck this season.

Jevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 03:27 AM
Soth

vCash: 833
Quote:
The guy had a broken back. I never thought he'd be the same, but I'm glad he has proven me wrong.

Schroeder has really impressed me. He is much better than I had thought he was - in fact I would rather have Schroeder than CoHo as Schroeder's defensive game is really well developed.

Soth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 03:31 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Global Moderator
Kitimat Canuck

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferroid View Post
Honestly, despite the fact that he scored, I wasn't really a fan of him on the top PP unit.

Great game overall though.
Really? I thought he was consistently dangerous. If for no other reason than that it shifted the status quo a bit and got some of the guys moving a bit differently, I think it was a shrewd coaching decision.

In addition to his two goals, I continue to notice him down low in his own end supporting his defenders. Really dependable play.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 03:32 AM
SunshineRays

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge2k View Post
That and the article quote are very high praise from AV.

Look at what he did with Kesler. If Schroeder can become mini-kesler that would be pretty damn awesome.
Lol. "Mini-Kesler". The HNIC commentators made a funny unintended quip about his height tonight during the game, then were like "no pun intended". He must get harassed about his height all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
In 2011-12, Hodgson had 3 points in his first 9 games as the 2nd line center, and this was after he'd played his first 8 games in the year previous where he also had 2 points (as does Schroeder).

Interestingly enough, their shot totals are also comparable (after their first 8 games in the league - 9 for CH, 10 for JS).

I keep wondering when they'll finally move him out of the high slot and onto the half-boards on that 2nd PP unit.
Ya, I was more talking about his first 20+ games w/ Van that came in 10/11. Hodgy played 20 games including reg season/playoffs. Had 3 pts in 20 games, mainly playing on the 4th line. He was highly sheltered and used minimally cause for whatever reason AV didn't trust him. I think his lack of foot speed made it harder to get himself out of trouble - which rookies often find themselves in. Schroeder has wheels for days so he can generally outskate the opponent if he gets in trouble.

It's quite interesting that AV's relying on his young guns so much in key situations. I like it, they're proving their value. In the next year or two, there will be more young guys pushing their way onto the roster (Jensen/Lack/Connauton/Corrado).

SunshineRays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 03:32 AM
keslerburrows

I always knew this kid was going to be good. Craig Mactavish did wonders for this kid. He always had the skill but he needed that 2 way grit if he ever wanted to get the NHL, and that's what Mactavish gave him.

Love the way Schroeds plays the game. He will be crucial for this team for years.

keslerburrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 03:48 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

I thought he didn't seem all too comfortable on the first unit PP just yet. Felt like he didn't move his feet much either.

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 04:15 AM
Wisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by keslerburrows View Post
I always knew this kid was going to be good. Craig Mactavish did wonders for this kid. He always had the skill but he needed that 2 way grit if he ever wanted to get the NHL, and that's what Mactavish gave him.

Love the way Schroeds plays the game. He will be crucial for this team for years.
I like Schroeder but I won't believe he'll be here for years unless he makes a significant impact. Like, "centering a line that scores a lot" impact or "shutting down tough competition" impact.

Old
02-10-2013, 04:52 AM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
The crux of the argument in that thread revolved around production.
True, I think what i took offense to is people speaking in absolutes in relation to stats. If he didn't reach a certain ppg%, he was a write off, a bust.

Also someone calling him a one-trick pony gives me the fits.

And not referring to that thread, people who referred to him as a midget was also fairly insulting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevo View Post
Interesting stat about Schroeder after his first 9 NHL games is that he is yet to be on the ice for a goal against, as the only Canuck this season.
This is insane [in a good way].

thefeebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 05:02 AM
Verviticus

Quote:
it's cool, but its mostly just luck :/

Verviticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 05:17 AM
Ronning On Empty
Formerly BleachClean

Quote:
True, I think what i took offense to is people speaking in absolutes in relation to stats. If he didn't reach a certain ppg%, he was a write off, a bust.

Also someone calling him a one-trick pony gives me the fits.

And not referring to that thread, people who referred to him as a midget was also fairly insulting.

Yeah I hear you. You can't write him off unless you see him against NHLers, and even then only after a while.

At least now we can take all production on the Wolves/Affiliate with a grain of salt. It's not definitive. In fact, it may skew things negatively against a player. Even this year, there were complaints about production despite JS being among the leaders of the team in points.

I said this about Hodgson before we saw him against NHLers - I'll always give the benefit of the doubt to kids with high hockey IQ's, they find a way. Schroeder is again a testament to that thought process. Never bet against these types. He hasn't "made it" yet, but he's well on his way changing a lot of minds here (already has with me with regards to production at the AHL level).

Old
02-10-2013, 05:31 AM
Derp Kassian

Schroeder through 9 games 2-2-4 +4, Hodgson last year 1-2 -1. Was there really all that much difference in the prospects or was Coho just put on a pedestal because of he Canadian WJC/Top 10 pick thing? What Schroeder gives up in skill to Hodgson he makes up for it in competence in his own zone.

Derp Kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 05:34 AM
Smokey McCanucks

Schroeder is showing marked improvement game over game, he is really starting to look like an NHL player now and is willing to battle in the tough areas, it's real impressive.

Smokey McCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 05:44 AM
Verviticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp Kassian View Post
Schroeder through 9 games 2-2-4 +4, Hodgson last year 1-2 -1. Was there really all that much difference in the prospects or was Coho just put on a pedestal because of he Canadian WJC/Top 10 pick thing? What Schroeder gives up in skill to Hodgson he makes up for it in competence in his own zone.
coho destroyed both at the WJC and during that year in jrs. he was dominant for brampton

Old
02-10-2013, 06:30 AM
solitary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verviticus View Post
coho destroyed both at the WJC and during that year in jrs. he was dominant for brampton
Not to take anything away from CoHo's dominant play in WJC and the OHL but Schroeder also had success in the WJC and college hockey.

solitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 06:34 AM
Verviticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by solitary View Post
Not to take anything away from CoHo's dominant play in WJC and the OHL but Schroeder also had success in the WJC and college hockey.
schroeder had a pretty unfortunate and low profile sophomore season in college, which is the equivalent to cody's post-draft season

Old
02-10-2013, 06:44 AM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

Congrats to Jordan on his 1st NHL goal! Hopefully these two are the first of many more to come (but even more assists of course).

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
It's a good point! Hodgson didn't do too much when Kesler was out with his labrum issues. Schroeder is doing much more while Kesler is out with labrum issues.

KESLER Y U NO GET BETTER LABRUMS!?
It's not even the first 9 games from last season - it's that he's looked better than CH in his first 8 games in the league in terms of impact on the game. IMO.

Quote:
Hey now, I want in on this praise. I have been supporting him too!!

You want some crow served?

Read from http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...936843&page=26 onwards. The praise begins earlier in that thread but this point is when the critics come out and it gets good and entertaining. I like post #658 =D
Woah, I don't even remember posting what I did in that thread... feels like a century ago lol. Interesting to read old posts and what people thought about him. Even the criticisms compared to how perception has changed.

Above all though I'm just happy that he's showing well and glad that you guys who supported him are right!

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 06:57 AM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

I think Hodgson was the first example that AHL production, especially in our farm system, doesn't tell you everything about a scoring prospect, correct? Or was it Grabner or Shirokov? It's definitely something to keep in mind in future though.

Always better to watch them play and see for yourself (and credit to feebs, Tiranis and orcatown for providing so many reports over the past couple seasons).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineRays View Post
Lol. "Mini-Kesler". The HNIC commentators made a funny unintended quip about his height tonight during the game, then were like "no pun intended". He must get harassed about his height all the time.
Probably. It's the fuel that feeds the fire - as we hear all the time about guys with a lack of size/height. "Haters are my motivation" and all that...

Quote:
It's quite interesting that AV's relying on his young guns so much in key situations. I like it, they're proving their value. In the next year or two, there will be more young guys pushing their way onto the roster (Jensen/Lack/Connauton/Corrado).
We looked to have holes at 2RW and 3C this year up front. ZK and JS are doing their part to convince management that they can be the solution. Hopefully they can - it's awesome to see two young guns stepping into bigger roles on the team.

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote