HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jordan Schroeder Appreciation Thread!

Old
09-15-2013, 05:28 PM
Love
Fire Benning

vCash: 500
That is encouraging to hear that about Schroeder's shoulder. It makes me wonder how much that injury affected his shot because I was always thought he had a great shot but he didnt seem to use it last year.

If there is one way Torts can help Schroeder this year, it is by letting him be "free" offensively a little bit. JS needs confidence more than anything at this point.

Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 05:45 PM
Reverend Mayhem
In Gord We Trust

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
His shot impressed the hell out of me today. I don't want to say it's elite, but very damn good.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 05:50 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
How so, JayBo is a top pairing MPG Dman and a pretty decent one with so-so offense.

Jordan hasn't even shown the ability to make the NHL yet on a consistent basis.

It's probably unlikely that he even reaches 200 NHL games at this point.
Not meant to be taken as a literal comparison--I was just talking about how they're both talented and play the game smart, but are a little too passive for their own good.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 06:00 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by blendini View Post
From The Province:

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/ho...674/story.html

Perhaps we have been underestimating Schroeder. Looks like his first year of being healthy. Despite the injury, he has continued to progress over the last 3 years. This could be a game changer for him.

His shoulder popped out 6 or 7 times over 30 games? Wow. That has to be a concern moving forward. The thing is now, if he's playing poorly, how will we know it's not this recurring injury? To me, this introduces a great level of ambiguity about where Schroeder actually is in terms of development. He progressed steadily, but what could have been if this was addressed earlier?

I know teams can't be open about injuries all the time, but if he's out of the line-up with shoulder problems again, that's not good. Hopefully this is the last we see this injury affect Schroeder.

Bleach Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 06:03 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
His shoulder popped out 6 or 7 times over 30 games? Wow. That has to be a concern moving forward. The thing is now, if he's playing poorly, how will we know it's not this recurring injury?

I know teams can't be open about injuries all the time, but if he's out of the line-up with shoulder problems again, that's not good. Hopefully this is the last we see this injury affect Schroeder.
Unless he re-injures it somehow, it shouldn't be a problem. That's the point of this surgery. I think the only reason he didn't do it sooner is because he feared missing all this time.

Look at other guys in the league who've had shoulder surgeries.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 06:07 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Unless he re-injures it somehow, it shouldn't be a problem. That's the point of this surgery. I think the only reason he didn't do it sooner is because he feared missing all this time.

Look at other guys in the league who've had shoulder surgeries.

Yeah, hopefully it's "fixed" now. But it does place a question mark on his play to this point. It's been bothering him for years. So how do we evaluate him?

Old
09-15-2013, 07:12 PM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blendini View Post
From The Province:

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/ho...674/story.html

Perhaps we have been underestimating Schroeder. Looks like his first year of being healthy. Despite the injury, he has continued to progress over the last 3 years. This could be a game changer for him.
Wow, never knew the issue went that far back. I don't know if it'll impact his play if they do put him on the wing in future but this should mean only good things for him now that he's (hopefully) truly healthy.

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 07:37 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Yeah, hopefully it's "fixed" now. But it does place a question mark on his play to this point. It's been bothering him for years. So how do we evaluate him?
We should just leave it as the question-mark that it is and see how he plays moving forward, IMO.

Not like evaluation of past events matter much for anything other than personal interest anyways.

Old
09-15-2013, 08:00 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
We should just leave it as the question-mark that it is and see how he plays moving forward, IMO.

Not like evaluation of past events matter much for anything other than personal interest anyways.

Clean slate? I'm not sure many would agree to that.

It's definitely a factor. Surprising that it went on for so long.

Old
09-15-2013, 09:34 PM
Shareefruck

I'm thinking it doesn't really matter how we evaluate it. If he performs exceedingly well going forward, it looks like a possible legitimate factor to bring up, if he just progresses naturally (or doesn't), it looks like an excuse that is never worth mentioning again. Who cares?

Last edited by Shareefruck: 09-15-2013 at 09:51 PM.
Old
09-16-2013, 12:07 AM
jimslob

If this has been a problem for three years I can't help but wonder why it wasn't addressed sooner.

Sometimes I wonder about the competence of the Canucks medical staff, or perhaps it was AV's philosophy that players should just suck it up and play through things.

jimslob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 12:25 AM
Samzilla
Prust & Dorsett are

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimslob View Post
If this has been a problem for three years I can't help but wonder why it wasn't addressed sooner.

Sometimes I wonder about the competence of the Canucks medical staff, or perhaps it was AV's philosophy that players should just suck it up and play through things.
Taylor Hall had a shoulder problem for years before finally getting labral shoulder surgery in 2012. It's not uncommon for players to try and deal with chronic problems for a while before finally getting surgery.

Samzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 12:42 AM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:

Well it's a new coach in torts so everything should be wide open, as in opportunities.

We as fans, and Gillis as management might look back but the new coach should only being looking forward.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 08:29 AM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

Quote:
It just surprises me even more that he was throwing the body around in his first few NHL games.

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 10:37 AM
SpecialK139
Bo Hor-fat

treatment for many injuries is done conservatively without surgery for as long as possible, as there is more inherent risk of complication or loss of function after surgery in addition to playing time lost. that being said, if he's feeling better maybe this is what helps him challenge for that 3C position.

good luck guy, now become the next MSL!

(in all seriousness I would love JS to succeed though)

SpecialK139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 11:50 AM
deckercky

vCash: 1125
If he was playing hurt, then maybe he could also be more successful transitioning to wing, which would be positive to his chances of remaining on the team long-term. I could see him having a good role as a winger if he can make good use of his booming shot.

deckercky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 01:38 PM
denkiteki

Quote:
His shoulder popped out 6 or 7 times over 30 games? Wow. That has to be a concern moving forward. The thing is now, if he's playing poorly, how will we know it's not this recurring injury? To me, this introduces a great level of ambiguity about where Schroeder actually is in terms of development. He progressed steadily, but what could have been if this was addressed earlier?

Not sure if its 30 games or including his AHL season. My guess is its his entire season but you're right thats still a pretty insane # of times.

denkiteki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 08:39 PM
LolClarkson*

Quote:

Why shouldn't we give Schroeder a clean slate for evaluation ?

What concerns me is how Mike Gillis hasn't mentioned him by name when he talks about injecting youth. But that might be a blessing in disguise because recall that Mike Gillis said in 2010 to John Shorthouse "wait till you see how Steve Bernier and Mayson Raymond perform this year"

LolClarkson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 08:40 PM
LolClarkson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by denkiteki View Post
Not sure if its 30 games or including his AHL season. My guess is its his entire season but you're right thats still a pretty insane # of times.
Probably why he fell so far in the draft

LolClarkson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 08:57 PM
King of the ES*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldrunner View Post
Why shouldn't we give Schroeder a clean slate for evaluation ?

What concerns me is how Mike Gillis hasn't mentioned him by name when he talks about injecting youth. But that might be a blessing in disguise because recall that Mike Gillis said in 2010 to John Shorthouse "wait till you see how Steve Bernier and Mayson Raymond perform this year"
Yep, I agree. I'm very excited to see him play tomorrow night. One thing that I think Schroeder's got a pretty big edge over the other kids in is speed, Shinkaruk included. Very good skater.

And I agree that it's pretty surprising that he's sort of just become Vancouver's "forgotten man". Good growth in the AHL, pretty good stint in the NHL last year. Give him a chance.

King of the ES* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 01:24 AM
Pip
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Before it hits 12:00, i wanted to with JS a happy birthday. Hopefully he recovers quickly and has a great year

Pip is offline   Reply With Quote