HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Detroit new arena update; breaking ground before end of 2014

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-17-2013, 09:06 PM
  #51
Brodie
I'm a jackhammer
 
Brodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Michigan
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 13,873
vCash: 500
the Palace is like new, their owner is rich and local and this is a market of 5 million people

the Pistons will never relocate, ever.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 10:25 PM
  #52
Clowe Me
Registered User
 
Clowe Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 530
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 24,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
Doubtful..although I'm sure some people would rather they reside downtown

Zero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
the Palace is like new, their owner is rich and local and this is a market of 5 million people

the Pistons will never relocate, ever.
Thanks for the info.

Clowe Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 03:36 AM
  #53
RedWinger10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 946
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
Illitch is known to think Nationwide is the nicest arena in the league, so don't expect ultramodern
I imagine the plan is to blow away everybody when it comes to just how nice it will be. Just look at the numbers.

Nationwide arena cost: $175 Million
Budget for new Red Wings arena: $650 Million

Thats not even on the same PLANET in terms of cost. When Illitch was talking about a new arena a year or two ago (when they decided not to renew their lease of the Joe) he said he would want it to be state if the art and the gem of the hockey world. And I think that's EXACTLY what he is going for. Certainly for that kind of money it should be nothing short of his expectations.

RedWinger10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 03:53 AM
  #54
danishh
Registered User
 
danishh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: YOW
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,941
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWinger10 View Post
I imagine the plan is to blow away everybody when it comes to just how nice it will be. Just look at the numbers.

Nationwide arena cost: $175 Million
Budget for new Red Wings arena: $650 Million

Thats not even on the same PLANET in terms of cost. When Illitch was talking about a new arena a year or two ago (when they decided not to renew their lease of the Joe) he said he would want it to be state if the art and the gem of the hockey world. And I think that's EXACTLY what he is going for. Certainly for that kind of money it should be nothing short of his expectations.
only around half of that cost is for the arena, the rest is for the other parts of the development.

factoring in inflation, nationwide cost $236M. It should be in the same realm in terms of finishing as nationwide.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 10:12 AM
  #55
Wingsfan2965*
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6,746
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWinger10 View Post
I imagine the plan is to blow away everybody when it comes to just how nice it will be. Just look at the numbers.

Nationwide arena cost: $175 Million
Budget for new Red Wings arena: $650 Million

Thats not even on the same PLANET in terms of cost. When Illitch was talking about a new arena a year or two ago (when they decided not to renew their lease of the Joe) he said he would want it to be state if the art and the gem of the hockey world. And I think that's EXACTLY what he is going for. Certainly for that kind of money it should be nothing short of his expectations.
Ilitch is gunning for an entire entertainment complex, not just an arena.

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 12:43 PM
  #56
Brodie
I'm a jackhammer
 
Brodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Michigan
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 13,873
vCash: 500
you know what that means, right? It's going to be a mixed use development ala Atlantic Yards or Patriot Place. Let's not act like they're going to be building an Olympic park down there. And a lot of that money is going for infrastructure.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 01:45 PM
  #57
RedWinger10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 946
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
only around half of that cost is for the arena, the rest is for the other parts of the development.
Development in most urban areas is typically budgeted at 25% of total cost. (Based on my research) so only about 150 million or so should be used in development. Unless they plan on developing a much larger area around the arena which may cost a little more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
Ilitch is gunning for an entire entertainment complex, not just an arena.
True, it will be a multi-use entertainment complex. However seeing as how it's primary use will be a hockey venue and we are on a hockey forum, I'm going to call it an arena.

RedWinger10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:33 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.