HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Mackenzie Skapski & Cole Cheveldave

Old
01-14-2013, 11:31 PM
pckstpr31

vCash: 500
Mackenzie Skapski & Cole Cheveldave

Hi guys,

what are your thoughts on these two WHL goaltenders? I believe they both had the chance to be drafted last year and were passed over, but not 100% certain. Skapski is the starter for the Ice and is currently 16-17-0 with a 3.15 GAA, 0.900 SV%, and 3 shutouts. I don't think Kootenay is all that good of a team this year, but can't comment enough on his play versus the teams play, as I've only watched him once this year. He's a big lanky guy, and moves very well. I think he was touted to get drafted last year, but just ended up getting passed over.

Cheveldave is 20-9-2 with a 2.54 GAA, 0.915 SV%, and 2 shutouts. I know that Kamloops is pretty good this year, and don't know if he's just playing behind a good team, or if he's a main reason they're winning a lot. He did go from starting in the AJHL to starting in the WHL, which is pretty impressive. The knock on him is his size at 5'10", and I think that's a main reason he didn't really get any looks from NHL clubs.

I haven't really seen these guys enough to make definitive calls on them, so any input would be awesome!

pckstpr31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:30 PM
BillP

cheveldave is inconsistent but he shows up for the big ones, hopefully having kozun as the backup will light a fire under him, he's played pretty well recently. can't wait till portland is in town next! i'll jeer carruth any chance i can get.

BillP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:34 AM
R S

vCash: 1000
Had Skapski ranked 50th overall for the draft from the WHL last season. Thought there was an outside shot he was drafted, given his size and decent showings as a backup to Nathan Lieuwen. But, he didn't play a ton last season therefore it wasn't too shocking to see him passed up.

Based off his starts this year, and my viewings of him, I would draft him late in 2013. He's a big kid who's pretty fluid in his movements. Saw him live last night and he was the 1st star of the game. Made some key saves including a clutch breakaway stop on Shane McColgan that would have totally changed the game in the 2nd period.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 07:57 PM
pckstpr31

Thanks guys. Skapski was listed #18 for NA goalies in the midterm central scouting rankings. Cheveldave wasn't on the list.

pckstpr31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:17 AM
wings5

Skapski has been getting better as the year has progressed in 14 December games he went 11-2-1 and even behind a poor team still is managing to keep his team in games against tough teams. Definitely something you look for in a goalie prospect.

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote