HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Sharing your thoughts on the team and season.

Old
01-29-2013, 06:03 AM
iArts
ಠ_ಠ

vCash: 500
Sharing your thoughts on the team and season.

Just wanted to share my thoughts.

I used to get really excited for every game. I used to be nervous in the last minutes of the game.
After all these years tho, I just can't anymore.

Now, I fully expect them to blow every lead we have. If we're losing with 2-3 minutes left, it's pretty much game over in my mind because I'm not expecting them to even create one solid scoring opportunity. I don't expect goalies to make game-changing saves, or any of the forwards to be game-breakers.
I'm not even that excited for our games anymore, because all I can expect is disappointment.

Am I the only one feeling this way? Have I just lost the passion?

Last edited by ULF_55: 01-29-2013 at 11:02 AM.
iArts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 06:11 AM
leafspring*

Quote:
Originally Posted by iArts View Post

I used to get really excited for every game. I used to be nervous in the last minutes of the game.

Now, I fully expect them to blow every lead we have. If we're losing with 2-3 minutes left, it's pretty much game over in my mind because I'm not expecting them to even create one solid scoring opportunity. I don't expect goalies to make game-changing saves, or any of the forwards to be game-breakers.
I'm not even that excited for our games anymore, because all I can expect is disappointment.

Have yer water tested quick.

leafspring* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 06:20 AM
iArts
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafspring View Post
Have yer water tested quick.
I know it sounds weird. But do you honestly still get super excited for every game after all these years of failing again and again?

Old
01-29-2013, 06:20 AM
smitty10

There are times I feel this way as well. It's getting hard to cheer for a perennial loser, but I won't stop watching and I won't stop caring about the Maple Leafs

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 06:21 AM
SprDaVE

Not really surprising considering on how your favorite team has done over the last decade. I think most feel the same, more or less. It does take quite a bit of thick skin to be a Leafs fan.

We are bound to have a good team in the next couple years. When that happens, I'm sure you'll be one of the first to feel like this team can go deep.

I think you do really care deep down, as you wouldn't be on a sports forum if you didn't.

SprDaVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 06:24 AM
iArts
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDaVE View Post
Not really surprising considering on how your favorite team has done over the last decade. I think most feel the same, more or less. It does take quite a bit of thick skin to be a Leafs fan.

We are bound to have a good team in the next couple years. When that happens, I'm sure you'll be one of the first to feel like this team can go deep.

I think you do really care deep down, as you wouldn't be on a sports forum if you didn't.
I still have a tiny bit of hope no matter what. It's just getting harder and harder to stay positive.

Old
01-29-2013, 06:28 AM
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK

vCash: 50
Quote:
I know it sounds weird. But do you honestly still get super excited for every game after all these years of failing again and again?
I'm excited for the draft as that is the only way we're going to turn this mess around. But then again with our scouting staff you never know.

The games I watch and care a great deal obviously, but I have no hope for playoffs.

Old
01-29-2013, 06:28 AM
forsberg

As a true Leafs fan, every loss is a win.

forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 06:30 AM
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsberg View Post
Sadly, this might be the case.

Still only 5 games in but the same symptoms.

legendinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 06:35 AM
Peasy
All In The Game Yo

vCash: 250
Nope, I basically go into each game with no expectations at all. When I saw the Rangers make it 2-1, I called the leafs coming out flat and end up losing the game without getting a point.

This teams not good enough to make the playoffs.

Peasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 07:01 AM
Erdinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsberg View Post
In reality this probably would be the most fitting slogan for this season. If it's a lost season our young guys get experience,with hopefully no dumb trades and a really high draft pick it could go a long way to turning this around.

Last edited by Erdinger: 01-29-2013 at 07:06 AM.
Erdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 07:06 AM
CG14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peasy View Post
Nope, I basically go into each game with no expectations at all. When I saw the Rangers make it 2-1, I called the leafs coming out flat and end up losing the game without getting a point.

This teams not good enough to make the playoffs.

CG14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 07:07 AM
bobbyflex

you hate the fact you bought the dream.....and they sold you one

bobbyflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 07:10 AM
Pi

vCash: 100
I just watch the game with zero expectations.

The only time when I have some sort of expectations are when we play teams we should be able to beat or have a close game with:

Islanders
Tampa (We've been historically very good against them)
Buffalo...close games but they usually win.
Montreal
Ottawa
etc

The rest I have no expectations at all. Just watch and enjoy the team that will likely give us our #1C in the draft this year.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 07:29 AM
drewski1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendinblue View Post
I'm excited for the draft as that is the only way we're going to turn this mess around. But then again with our scouting staff you never know.

The games I watch and care a great deal obviously, but I have no hope for playoffs.
Not even sure our scouting staff can screw this pick/draft up. The entire first round is a talented group. However, I don't think they can do the BPA thing. Our organizational need is at forward (centre). Draft a good one and do it right. Roll with the kids, and build.
We have some good pieces in place whether other fans/media give us credit or not - we do.

drewski1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 07:59 AM
Parkdale
In Reimer We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewski1988 View Post
Not even sure our scouting staff can screw this pick/draft up.
It's not just the scouting staff that is suspect, it's the whole system of talent evaluation. Mistakes are bound to happen in an imperfect world, but the Leafs seem to make more than their share when it comes to their free agent signings, amateur signings, and trades. I was so glad Rick Dudley came on board...and disappointed he left. Why is Cliff Fletcher still collecting a paycheque after he traded for Lee Stempniak, signed Jeff Finger, and mis-handled Schenn's first year?

Parkdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:04 AM
Chandrashekhar Limit
Kunitz sucks balls

You haven't lost the passion - you've just realized the team for what it is. Our goalies suck, and we blow leads. That's who the Leafs are ATM, and have been for a while.

Back in the Sundin days, we always had a shot at the playoffs, and missed it by about a point or two between 04-06 I believe. Every game counted then, and that's what made it much more exciting to watch than what we have now.

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:13 AM
Raym11
Phaneuf sucks

ive been watching every leafs game in the background as of late. Same old same old. This team is pathetic behind the reigns of Kessel and Phaneuf. We're never going to be a good team led by them.

Just going through the motions as a fan now. Continue watching, even though i hate the players, just pay less attention.

If the leafs were a prospect, we'd be a projected 3rd liner tweener. That is where this team has come, what a fall from grace from the early 2000s.

It's sad too because in the early 2000's half our lineup was garbage, part of it players on the decline, and then a few in their prime. The team had character though, an actual identity, and better leadership and motivation. Kessel and Phaneuf are the leaders of this team (Kessel by name and merit) and they are support players, might even be 3rd rate players.

I'm not sure you're even a good team if Kessel is your 2nd best player. Phaneuf your 3rd. Think we're going to need atleast 2 top tier players to get by with those 2 in the lineup

There is a large group of people who trash Quinn all the time for how he ran the team. This team fell off a cliff without Quinn. Atleast he had a plan.

Last edited by Raym11: 01-29-2013 at 08:19 AM.
Raym11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:18 AM
OptimusForever
#teambernier

Every year I get more and more enraged because I know at the start of the year were icing a team not good enough for a top draft pick or the playoffs. Frustrating. Some days I feel like we have the biggest blunders on and were actually even worse off than we imagine...

OptimusForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:25 AM
Duke Silver
Truce?

vCash: 450
I still care, but the wins don't make me as happy as they used to, and the losses don't get me down as much as they used to.

It's been a rough few years. The Leafs are like an absentee father who keeps promising to come by and take you to the circus, but keeps having to cancel. Eventually, you begin to expect disappointment and it affects you less. You develop apathy.

(Btw, not a personal story. I had a very happy childhood.)

Duke Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:26 AM
Anth93

If I was hoping they'd win (last year early on), I would agree.

Anth93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:30 AM
BayStBullies
Burn the Boats!

Quote:

The losing mentality from the fans; is being expressed back to the players. It's a cycle of losers.

If the fans would actually cheer for the team; maybe they would try a little harder. The ACC is dull and boring; with everyone sitting on their hands. We claim to be "the best fans" the "largest fanbase"; yet none of that has any direct positive influence on the team itself.

Every fanbase tries to kick us around; because half of this fanbase just takes it with a smile. Stand up for your team and back them up. It might make a world of difference. If you can't at least do that; maybe you truly are not a "fan" any more. You're just clinging on from habits.

BayStBullies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:32 AM
Anth93

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStBullies View Post
The losing mentality from the fans; is being expressed back to the players. It's a cycle of losers.

If the fans would actually cheer for the team; maybe they would try a little harder. The ACC is dull and boring; with everyone sitting on their hands. We claim to be "the best fans" the "largest fanbase"; yet none of that has any direct positive influence on the team itself.

Every fanbase tries to kick us around; because half of this fanbase just takes it with a smile. Stand up for your team and back them up. It might make a world of difference. If you can't at least do that; maybe you truly are not a "fan" any more. You're just clinging on from habits.
You're not wrong at all, but why not give us something to cheer for?

It's not like the fans sign a contract promising to perform as best as they can through good+bad times. Only the players.

Anth93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:32 AM
leafspring*

Quote:
Yeah i do bro. Crosby/Malkin are in their 8th,and 7th seasons respectively.They have 1 stanley cup. There is alot of fun to be had cheering the team on. The negative spin placed on the team by media shouldn't be happening.

This team is second youngest in the league,and with plenty of prospects/assets,and cap space if we can be in half decent shape in terms of having a shot at getting a play-off spot nailed down. We sit pretty nicely with blue chip prospects in Naz,Rielly,and Gards too.

My Leafs ideally though are a defense first franchise as a identity,and should be built that way in tradition to most of our championship clubs in the past. Wilson's era was a black hole to me personally.

This Carlyle era promises better results.

There has to be realistic expectations even if your Crosby/Malkin i guess!

leafspring* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:33 AM
pspot

i'd rather they lose then win and that sucks

i use to get excited like you said but that pretty much ended with the Roenick goal

pspot is offline   Reply With Quote