HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharing your thoughts on the team and season.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-29-2013, 12:30 PM
  #76
ThirdRowGreens
Registered User
 
ThirdRowGreens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 79
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
I wish there was a way to keep the people who **** on this team from enjoying it once they make the playoffs. Tough times happen, you get through them as a fan base and don't turn on the team. I want the leafs to win for the none-fairweather fans. Crapping on the team is easy, sticking behind them through the bad times is far more difficult and honorable.
Agreed. I don't blame many of the younger fans who have only seen the last ten years of struggling, though... it's been pretty bad, and if I didn't have the memories of 1990s and early 2000s playoff thrills to keep me going I might get pretty despondent too.

But people who were fans through the Burns/Quinn years should know better.

ThirdRowGreens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:39 PM
  #77
Federko
Registered User
 
Federko's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,595
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
Negative = Honest?

Gotcha.

Realists, Honest, No Blinders, Call it what you will, it is negative BS that does nothing positive for anyone involved. We talk about how the Habs cups from the past don't matter, or what so and so did 3 years ago means nothing, yet what we have done for the past 7 now matters? This team, staff, management and ownership has nothing to do with Pre-Lockout Leafs, just let it go and hope for the best. If you are done and don't care, go cheer for another team, you won't be missed.
First of all you are not suppose to say anything about a poster. Just the comment. Since you have I will be brief. I'm entitled to my opinion. I've been "cheering" for the Leafs since the 85/86 season... and I find this extremely funny that someone who goes by "Kessly Snipes" , and I say this with all due respect, a poster who's associated with Phil Kessel -- aka the worst Leafs trade in the modern era, a poster that's probably never seen the Leafs in a playoff game , or if you did you were a quite young - telling me that I won't be missed? Who are you?

If the team sucks in 10 years from now just like they do now you are telling me you won't be frustrated? You won't have the experience in seeing that we were sold up the creek without a paddle? Get real kid... and keep your opinions about posters to yourself, ok boss?

Federko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:41 PM
  #78
Federko
Registered User
 
Federko's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,595
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodeal View Post
You heard the man. Only blind optimistic fans need apply to Leaf land.

Everyone else that is disappointed this team hasn't made the playoffs for what will be going on a decade now, let's go cheer for the Sens.
I know right? He is more than likely a newer fan..give him 5 to 10 more years..his blinders will be off.

Federko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:43 PM
  #79
MajorityRules
Sior Gaisgeil
 
MajorityRules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
Yes that's exactly what I said...

There is no need for either extreme. But I guess it is much easier to be fairweather, no one wants to cheer for a bad team, only the team that wins right? The best part will be when they do win and the regulars here come and claim they have been a supportive fans through thick and thin, never giving up on the team
I wouldn't worry about them to be honest. When we finally get through this and become a playoff team and contender again (it's inevitable, I dont' care what anyone else says), we'll be there cheering knowing full well we stuck with it and actually feel better about the entire thing, knowing we were patient enough to stick it out without becoming jaded. Those that seem to always be pessimistic and always complaining, will likely still be complaining even when the team is winning. I saw it during the Quinn years as well. They just couldn't be happy unless they were making everyone else around them miserable.

Stay positive my friend

MajorityRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:44 PM
  #80
Federko
Registered User
 
Federko's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,595
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
Yes that's exactly what I said...

There is no need for either extreme. But I guess it is much easier to be fairweather, no one wants to cheer for a bad team, only the team that wins right? The best part will be when they do win and the regulars here come and claim they have been a supportive fans through thick and thin, never giving up on the team
Are you being serious with this comment or are you kidding? I started laughing so hard my boss asked me if everything was ok. Do you know what fairweather means? There is a huge difference between being a fairweather fan (see: Vancouver Canucks fanbase) and a realistic fan - just because our team sucks doesn't mean we have to be optomistic like you ..and pin our hopes on the likes of Phil Kessel and the amazing "JVR"...a player that the Flyers gave up on and eventually we will too. Do you think this is the first time the Leafs brought in guys like Kessel or "JVR" and said we were playoff bound?

Kessel reminds me of when we traded Vaive for the american superstar to be Eddie Oldczyk... same exact thing.... horrible trade, over hyped, but when Eddie was hot he did score a lot of goals just like Phil....

You need to respect some of the fans that have been with this team for awhile now and have "seen" this all before....

Federko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:48 PM
  #81
GordieHoweHatTrick
Registered User
 
GordieHoweHatTrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 13,235
vCash: 500
According to some fans on this board if you're open to having another team in the GTA or aren't blindly optimistic about this current group of guys then your not a real Maple Leafs fan and need to go cheer for another team

GordieHoweHatTrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:52 PM
  #82
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!
 
Leo Trollmarov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,823
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaive View Post
First of all you are not suppose to say anything about a poster. Just the comment. Since you have I will be brief. I'm entitled to my opinion. I've been "cheering" for the Leafs since the 85/86 season... and I find this extremely funny that someone who goes by "Kessly Snipes" , and I say this with all due respect, a poster who's associated with Phil Kessel -- aka the worst Leafs trade in the modern era, a poster that's probably never seen the Leafs in a playoff game , or if you did you were a quite young - telling me that I won't be missed? Who are you?

If the team sucks in 10 years from now just like they do now you are telling me you won't be frustrated? You won't have the experience in seeing that we were sold up the creek without a paddle? Get real kid... and keep your opinions about posters to yourself, ok boss?
I said nothing about you, in this context "You" means negative Leaf fans in general.
And just to quash you BS.

1. I have been watching the Leafs since 89

2. You or any other moaning groaning turned fairweather fan wouldn't be missed. you would be replaced by someone who cheers and supports the team through thick and thin. I am not under the illusion I would be missed, either, so you can avoid posting that.

3. Vaive is a great guy, spent a night drinking with him in Ottawa last year, great name.

4. You are far to sensitive. That was an opinion on you, unlike the previous post.

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:54 PM
  #83
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!
 
Leo Trollmarov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,823
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaive View Post
Are you being serious with this comment or are you kidding? I started laughing so hard my boss asked me if everything was ok. Do you know what fairweather means? There is a huge difference between being a fairweather fan (see: Vancouver Canucks fanbase) and a realistic fan - just because our team sucks doesn't mean we have to be optomistic like you ..and pin our hopes on the likes of Phil Kessel and the amazing "JVR"...a player that the Flyers gave up on and eventually we will too. Do you think this is the first time the Leafs brought in guys like Kessel or "JVR" and said we were playoff bound?

Kessel reminds me of when we traded Vaive for the american superstar to be Eddie Oldczyk... same exact thing.... horrible trade, over hyped, but when Eddie was hot he did score a lot of goals just like Phil....

You need to respect some of the fans that have been with this team for awhile now and have "seen" this all before....
Get over yourself.

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:57 PM
  #84
Frankie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,163
vCash: 500
anyone who isn't displeased with the state of the team the last few years simply isn't much of a fan. if you're not upset about the state of the leafs, then you just don't care. you're not a fan.

Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:59 PM
  #85
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!
 
Leo Trollmarov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,823
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
anyone who isn't displeased with the state of the team the last few years simply isn't much of a fan. if you're not upset about the state of the leafs, then you just don't care. you're not a fan.
You can be upset and support. Which is very different than what many here do.

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:59 PM
  #86
Deebo
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,308
vCash: 500
I wish people would stop arbitrarily deciding what does or doesn't make another person more or less of a fan.

Deebo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:03 PM
  #87
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!
 
Leo Trollmarov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,823
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
I wish people would stop arbitrarily deciding what does or doesn't make another person more or less of a fan.
It's not more or less of a fan. I am sure most of the fairweather crappers here are huge fans, just don't seem to have what it takes to get through the bad times without being ultra negative.

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:08 PM
  #88
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Gobias Industries's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
It's not more or less of a fan. I am sure most of the fairweather crappers here are huge fans, just don't seem to have what it takes to get through the bad times without being ultra negative.
If they're here aren't they kind of getting through the bad times?

Presumably they still watch the games and root for the Leafs, I think even ultra negativity is acceptable at this point.

Gobias Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:11 PM
  #89
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!
 
Leo Trollmarov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,823
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobias Industries View Post
If they're here aren't they kind of getting through the bad times?

Presumably they still watch the games and root for the Leafs, I think even ultra negativity is acceptable at this point.
That's one way of looking at it. Not saying it is completely wrong, but I disagree. Coming here day in and day out *****ing and complaining is the easy way out.

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:14 PM
  #90
Federko
Registered User
 
Federko's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,595
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
I said nothing about you, in this context "You" means negative Leaf fans in general.
And just to quash you BS.

1. I have been watching the Leafs since 89

2. You or any other moaning groaning turned fairweather fan wouldn't be missed. you would be replaced by someone who cheers and supports the team through thick and thin. I am not under the illusion I would be missed, either, so you can avoid posting that.

3. Vaive is a great guy, spent a night drinking with him in Ottawa last year, great name.

4. You are far to sensitive. That was an opinion on you, unlike the previous post.
That is your opinion...and you sound dillusional by trying and supporting this team. Leaf fans should demand more from the team...our once great history has fallen to pieces....does that not upset you? do you like being the butt end of every hockey joke known to man?

Here is an article about the Seattle Mariners. The first comment references ...THE LEAFS?!
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...eyre-built-now

"Rico Krobar posted about 1 hour ago Contributor I
Last place again, guaranteed. The fans here are dumber than the Toronto Maple Leaf fans, in Canada, for believing in garbage to win. Not going to happen here!"

do you not see what's going on? the writing on the wall?


Last edited by Federko: 01-29-2013 at 02:20 PM.
Federko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:14 PM
  #91
Federko
Registered User
 
Federko's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,595
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
Get over yourself.
Get over what? I'm not making the kool-aid statements you are.

Federko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:16 PM
  #92
Federko
Registered User
 
Federko's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,595
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
It's not more or less of a fan. I am sure most of the fairweather crappers here are huge fans, just don't seem to have what it takes to get through the bad times without being ultra negative.
So are you saying someone that vents frustrations on HF BOARDS is a fairweather fan? No one is allowed to be upset that our once great history has fallen to pieces by idiot management? You sound clueless and very opinionated..most of us are both of those things....do but you are going after posters--not the team, not the management -- you are going after the FANS who are allowed to be frustrated..have ya seen how we've been playing since 2003?!?!?!

are you stating we should support a loosing culture? yes or no...

Federko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:17 PM
  #93
Federko
Registered User
 
Federko's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,595
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
anyone who isn't displeased with the state of the team the last few years simply isn't much of a fan. if you're not upset about the state of the leafs, then you just don't care. you're not a fan.
yes..we should be more like you and support a loosing culture

Federko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:19 PM
  #94
Frankie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,163
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
You can be upset and support. Which is very different than what many here do.
really? i don't see anyone here stopping their support of the team. being upset and being critical doesn't mean you still don't support the team.

Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:23 PM
  #95
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!
 
Leo Trollmarov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,823
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaive View Post
So are you saying someone that vents frustrations on HF BOARDS is a fairweather fan? No one is allowed to be upset that our once great history has fallen to pieces by idiot management? You sound clueless and very opinionated..most of us are both of those things....do but you are going after posters--not the team, not the management -- you are going after the FANS who are allowed to be frustrated..have ya seen how we've been playing since 2003?!?!?!

are you stating we should support a loosing culture? yes or no...
No, I am just sick of many of the posters here. I actually didn't have you lumped in with them before. I can't name them here, but everyone knows who they are. It is very frustrating to see them day in and day out rip the team for things that have happened in the past. If we lose tonight, sure rip on them if they played poorly. Hell even give them crap for the 3 loses this year if yo like, but there is zero relevance between the 2013 Maple Leafs and the 2006 Maple Leafs. I mean if people can go on about mid 2000's Leafs as if it is somehow relevant, I surely can go on about late 90's early 2000's Leafs like they are relevant.

Let go of what has happened and look forward, hoping for the best.

Oh and if you need to know, I haven't seen many bad posts from you before this thread, so I was not lumping you in with the fairweather fans until now.

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:25 PM
  #96
Liferleafer
RIP Pat
 
Liferleafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10,345
vCash: 500
My thoughts on this team? If i had to explain it in 2 words....impending doom.

Our goalies make me feel like every time the opposition get a chance they'll score.

The defense is not good.

Our forwards can't score.

Our prospect pool is shallow.

I hate to cheer for a loss...i never will. That is what makes it hard to realise that we just aren't good enough to win.

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:25 PM
  #97
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!
 
Leo Trollmarov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,823
vCash: 500
My last post in this thread because I see it going to really bad places.

The Team, meh, they are ok. I think they will get better as the year goes on. but this is hockey, anyone can win any given night. The Pitt/Isles back-to-back proved that pretty clearly.

The Fans (here and mostly ACC) F-. you do not get to pass go, you do not collect 4200, please proceed directly to jail.

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 03:16 PM
  #98
Westlander
the olden time
 
Westlander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Netherlands
Country: Canada
Posts: 451
vCash: 500
I haven't lost interest, I still look forward to every game and get up at 5:20 the day after weekday games so I can watch it before work (thanks to the time difference living in Europe). I will however admit to a reluctance to completely invest in the team emotionally the way I used to. Last season in particular was brutal, 2/3 of a season looking competitive and then everything dashed to pieces (at least we got a good pick). More than any other season I can remember I feel like all of us who got our hopes up last season were made fools of.

Westlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 03:55 PM
  #99
Pierre Gotye
Registered User
 
Pierre Gotye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: McKinney, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 4,014
vCash: 500
Too many broken promises, bad experiments, and failed expectations the last 10 years.

The Leafs also have holes in the lineup. We lack a goaltender, 1C, #2C,#1D, Star winger, power forward, defensive specialist, shut down defenseman, right veteran leadership, capable enough backup goaltender or some combination thereof depending on the year. Seen this too many times since I've watched the Leafs since 93-94.

Every year, there seems to be glaring holes in the lineup. Some years are just more fathomable than others.

The Leafs have never been a 'complete' team, hence no Cup since '67. Inexcusable for so many years in a row.

Shouldn't the law of averages eventually work in our favor?


Last edited by Pierre Gotye: 01-29-2013 at 04:03 PM.
Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 03:59 PM
  #100
Frankie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,163
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
No, I am just sick of many of the posters here. I actually didn't have you lumped in with them before. I can't name them here, but everyone knows who they are. It is very frustrating to see them day in and day out rip the team for things that have happened in the past. If we lose tonight, sure rip on them if they played poorly. Hell even give them crap for the 3 loses this year if yo like, but there is zero relevance between the 2013 Maple Leafs and the 2006 Maple Leafs. I mean if people can go on about mid 2000's Leafs as if it is somehow relevant, I surely can go on about late 90's early 2000's Leafs like they are relevant.

Let go of what has happened and look forward, hoping for the best.

Oh and if you need to know, I haven't seen many bad posts from you before this thread, so I was not lumping you in with the fairweather fans until now.
after the game tonight, are we allowed to talk about it? because as soon as its over, it will have been in the past.

how far back are we allowed to go?

and of course, its also been argued that we shouldn't talk about the future either because we can't see into it and don't know what will happen.

not sure what we're supposed to be talking about.

Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:06 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.