HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Skinner Slew Foot on Bergeron - Suspension Worthy?

View Poll Results: Should the NHL Suspend Jeff Skinner for his Slew Foot on Patrice Bergeron?
Yes they should suspend Skinner 30 23.62%
No they should not suspend Skinner 97 76.38%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-29-2013, 02:54 PM
Lost Horizons
Everybody Wants Some

vCash: 500
http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/bruin...d-bergeron-hot
Quote:
It takes a lot for anything to bother Bergeron, but it was clearly upset with the incident and even threw a couple of punches while the linesmen tried to separate the two. Both players were given two minutes for roughing.

“It was just emotions, part of the game,” said a more subdued Bergeron after the team’s off-ice workouts Tuesday morning. “I just told him what I thought and that’s about it.

“That was the first time he did it [to me] but I thought it was uncalled for. The puck wasn’t even close.”

Bergeron said he’s not worried about whether or not Skinner should be fined or suspended for the play.

“No, I’m not going to get into that. I haven’t looked at replay, but I know he did it. At the same time, I don’t really care what happens. I don’t think anything will happen out of it.”

Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:54 PM
08SeaBass08
Lucic and Chong

I hesitantly voted "yes," mostly because it's something Skinner does all the time (thanks Marshy for validating that), and because I like seeing d-bags like him get punished. I don't actually think the incident last night was suspension-worthy, rather the cumulative evidence.

Looking forward to seeing Skinner get his due April 8 at the Garden. All in attendance deserve a good show.

08SeaBass08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 03:03 PM
Kegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksp1957 View Post
Maybe. But I'd rather Mr Thornton introduce himself to Mr Skinner when the game starts.
Well the problem there is skinner is a small skilled forward. It just wouldn't happen. It would be a turtle beat down

Kegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 03:12 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityRick View Post
Eh? I didn't see that at all. I saw him immediately start skating down towards Bergy and he didn't seem concerned at all with whether or not his goal counted.
Check again....and Brickley mentioned it during the telecast.

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 03:19 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
I hear what you are saying, but many times they seal the deal so I dont mind them being counted.

What I am a little concerned over is that Seguin was more concerned about his goal being counted or not. I mean the game was over either way and his teammate got cheap shotted and was in a scuffle and he is asking "no goal?". I guess it doesnt really bother me, just rubs me the wrong way. Either way I am glad he is on the board and I hope they come in bunches now....with a goalie in net.
Yeah, looking around with the palms up looking towards Bergeron down ice... I was like, Um, you gonna get in there?

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 03:33 PM
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Quote:
Just watched it again.. he does mouth the words "no goal?" but that was wayyyy after he made a bee line for Bergy. It wasn't until after Skinner and Bergeron were separated and Bergeron had skated off the ice that he asked the question. /shrug

I don't see that as a big deal. Had he skated over to ref and asked immediately if it counted instead of his team mate then yeah, it would rub me the wrong way. I see nothing wrong with what transpired though.

SerenityRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 03:50 PM
the overrated
wicked overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Yeah, looking around with the palms up looking towards Bergeron down ice... I was like, Um, you gonna get in there?
I don't know what Seguin should've done differently - the Bergeron/Skinner incident happened behind him as he skated towards the puck, and instead of celebrating or reacting at all to the ENG, he skated down the ice towards the sweater-tugging match ... only once it was all said & done did he ask if the play had been blown dead or not.

the overrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 04:00 PM
TCL40

I don't think it is suspension worthy-I think fans are often too quick to starting calling for them, but I think you can easily say it is dirty and cheap.

I do think the fact that Skinner seems to have a history and has been warned makes me think they should use this as evidence if does slewfoot somebody and it is suspension worthy.

I will also add that even if the action was a suspension worthy one-I don't think the video available comes with enough evidence to suspend a player. There just doesn't seem to be a good angle and I am not keen on suspending players where there is no injury and evidence is inconclusive.

I hope the B's make Skinner pay in the next game-Skinner probably won't fight, but a whole night of nice, hard hits would be nice.

I said in another thread that while Skinner is talented he comes across as a punk to me.

TCL40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 04:05 PM
Dellstrom
Pastrnasty

vCash: 50
I think the better question is whether or not he did it on purpose.

He won't and shouldn't. Bergy's retaliation is very understandable, though. Whether or not it was intentional, he'll likely have some quality glass time next game.

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:07 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
And protect Bergy from the the monstrous Jeff Skinner?

Seriously, I find it difficult to believe anyone would make a big deal out of that. The entire stramash happened behind Seguin. His job was to seal the game and put the puck in the net, and he can't hear Jack Edwards screaming about what's happening like we can. Asking after the fact if it counted is a legit question.

Last edited by Artemis: 01-29-2013 at 05:13 PM.
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:12 PM
Buckets and Gloves
10 AVE FREEZE OUT

No suspension, didn't think it was a malicious play... or at least I like to think it wasn't a malicious play. Could have just been losing balance and tried to grab something to stay up, defiently didn't look like a traditional slewfoot.

Buckets and Gloves is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:17 PM
neelynugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbnh View Post
What I don't want is for a Bruin to end up suspended for administering just retribution in the next game. In other words, take a number, deliver a check. Much like a couple of Chara's during the game. The guy will turtle to a potential beatdown, so that is a waste of effort.

sorta like when horton tried to fight gleason last year. didn't go so well for us on the scoreboard.

neelynugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:21 PM
neelynugs

Quote:
saw it when it happened, didn't care for it...but was after everything happened and with 8 seconds left in game. still a young guy, obviously cares about his stats, but i'm not ready to even consider calling him kessel yet.

neelynugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:25 PM
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs View Post
saw it when it happened, didn't care for it...but was after everything happened and with 8 seconds left in game. still a young guy, obviously cares about his stats, but i'm not ready to even consider calling him kessel yet.
I didn't get the impression that he was asking because he was concerned about his stats. But maybe I'm naive.

SerenityRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:52 PM
TCL40

NESN had a really good video (I think they zoomed in or dug up the footage from somewhere else) of this during their pre game show.

I had two thoughts-as far as risk of injury it looked far more dangerous than I thought (Skinner pulls Bergeron down to the ice and Bergeron very close to thumping his head-and head hitting ice is one of the big reasons slew foots are punished the way they are).

That said I actually think it looks more like unintentional jockeying for position than something intentional, although given Bergeron's concussion history and the way things played out I think Bergeron's anger seems justified.

TCL40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 06:01 PM
Schmautzie
Dave est magané

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsForItEveryYear View Post
no suspension. he'll just feel the repercussions next time the two teams meet. no one will forget to finish their checks on him that night
The ****** refs had better put their whistles away and let them settle it.

Schmautzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 06:06 PM
eightspokedb
pickee chickadee

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCL40 View Post
NESN had a really good video (I think they zoomed in or dug up the footage from somewhere else) of this during their pre game show.

I had two thoughts-as far as risk of injury it looked far more dangerous than I thought (Skinner pulls Bergeron down to the ice and Bergeron very close to thumping his head-and head hitting ice is one of the big reasons slew foots are punished the way they are).

That said I actually think it looks more like unintentional jockeying for position than something intentional, although given Bergeron's concussion history and the way things played out I think Bergeron's anger seems justified.
Isn't what Skinner did called a corkscrew? After seeing the video on the pregame Skinner knew exactly what he was doing - won't be technically a slewfoot but the effect was the same.

Just my opinion - little p**ck.

eightspokedb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 06:10 PM
nmbr_24

I didn't read this entire thread, but didn't anyone else notice that Skinner basically throws himself on the ice? That was a sneaky play by Skinner, he even managed to fool most of us. At first I thought it was an accident, now after watching it close up it sure looks like he fell down intentionally to me. Skinner sees that Bergeron has his stick out to interfere with him so he kicks out his legs and dives. Maybe he just meant to dive but he sure as heck kicked Bergeron's skate out from under him.

I don't know if he should be suspended or not, but he at the very least dove causing that to happen.

I wish they would suspend people for diving whether it is Skinner, Marchand, or the entire Canucks and Canadiens teams.

nmbr_24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 07:02 PM
duckchobbins

It was handled right then and there. Case closed. No suspension.

Bergeron can fight his own battles.

duckchobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 07:29 PM
Ference the Finger
Ference is my binky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovi View Post
It wasnt dirty. It was aggressive though, and Bergeron answered it perfectly. Skinner got the message and took up valuable time while he SHOULD have been concentrating on helping his team. The Bruins won....

best revenge.
Disagree. ANY slewfoot is a dirty play, because it's inherently dangerous. A ***** play by a ***** player.

Ference the Finger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 07:39 PM
Kovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ference the Finger View Post
Disagree. ANY slewfoot is a dirty play, because it's inherently dangerous. A ***** play by a ***** player.
fair enough. I just dont think it was an intentional move

Kovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 09:01 PM
duckchobbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ference the Finger View Post
I agree that it's a dirty and dangerous play, but I'm not convinced that's what Skinner was going for. I'm leaning towards yes, but just not sure. Even still, Bruins fight their own battles

duckchobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 09:55 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdobbins View Post
It was handled right then and there. Case closed. No suspension.

Bergeron can fight his own battles.
Nope. You want every team in the league to know if you touch Bergeron. You're going to bring hell down upon yourself, or your top player. We do NOT want Bergeron to ever fight any battle other than the ones he wins for the puck.

Why the Burrows and Gorges incidents were so infuriating. Chump move to rough up a guy w/ a concussion history.

Puck was no where near Begeron or Skinner. I think Skinner did it out of the frustration of playing against Bergy all night. Not saying they should spend all night getting retaliation, but someone scaring the **** out of skinner isn't out of order.

Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:28 PM
GloveSave1
-44-

Nope. He prob has no priors, id guess, too. But if I was the league id consider a fine though, for a dirty play in the last min of a game.

GloveSave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 11:01 PM
Rookie Chargers

Send a message via ICQ to Rookie Chargers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
No. I dont even think it was a slew foot. He hits the back of Bergeron's thigh with his knee and then falls himself. I dont think his feet hit Bergeron's.

For several good examples of slew footing see: Marchand, Brad.
This is what I see too. It looks like Bergeron does some holding, then Skinner draws back Bergeron and they both go down.

Yes I would be mad at Skinner he knocked me down like that but it's still not a slew foot.

Rookie Chargers is offline   Reply With Quote