HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Jeff Skinner slew-foots Patrice Bergeron

Old
01-29-2013, 09:34 PM
beauchamp

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopkinsj31 View Post
It was Seidenberg, and he didn't fall until Skinner hit the ice. So no, that had nothing at all to do with what happened. After looking again, Bergerons stick probably did have something to do with it as it appears Skinner grabs it as he his falling/diving.
And you're conveniently forgetting about the pick threw on Skinner that started the whole thing...

I'm not surprised.

beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 09:34 PM
Chicago Made Punk
You're Gonna Go Far

vCash: 446
Good lord, that is not a slewfoot.

Why would it make any sense whatsoever for Skinner to slewfoot Bergeron when he's blatantly pursuing the puck?

Some Bruin fans are just ridiculous homers here.

Chicago Made Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 09:41 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Look, Skinner has been suspended before for dirty play. I know it's your duty as a fan to defend him, but him intentionally slew-footing guys is pretty believable.
Except there's a video conveniently posted on page 1 that clearly shows him not slewfooting.

So continuing to insist that it happened, on the sole basis that Bergeron thought it did, is bordering on willful ignorance. I mean, people are actually directly saying "I didn't see a slewfoot but it must have been a dirty play because Bergeron wouldn't be wrong about something like that". Like, for real, that's supposed to pass for rational thinking?

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 09:49 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Looked to me like Skinner was trying to push off of Bergeron without realizing their legs were tangled. Both guys go down. Stupid move, but probably not dirty. And I say this with full knowledge that Skinner can be a twit sometimes.

Vagrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 09:54 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Regardless of Bergerons reaction, I still think it was an intentional slewfoot for reasons ive already stated. I guess it is all about how you interpret the video.

I don't agree with you and many others in this thread. Doesn't mean I'm homer, it just means I interpret it differently and don't just buy into the convenient opinion of the masses that Skinner fell and accicentally pulled him down.
I don't think it's a given that the pull-down was an accident. Since Bergeron decided to step in front of Skinner and put his stick right across Skinner's torso, it left only two options: get picked off the play, or skate through it for a possible penalty call. This was happening with less than a minute left, the Hurricanes shorthanded and the puck on its way out of the zone. The right move is to give the ref a good reason to blow the play dead, even up the penalty situation and give your team an o-zone faceoff. There's nothing to prove by letting someone eliminate you from the play with a cheap bit of interference.

So does Skinner realize his situation, grab hold of the stick and hope for a call? Probably so. Is that a slewfoot? Hell no. A tumble to the ice is what Bergeron bargained for when he decided to interfere and lock Skinner up like that. Nobody was injured, no penalty was called, so Bergeron really has no room to complain here. It's a nothing play, and if it weren't Skinner this wouldn't be a thread.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:01 PM
hopkinsj31

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post
And you're conveniently forgetting about the pick threw on Skinner that started the whole thing...

I'm not surprised.
How much ****ing room do you think there is behind the net? Seidenberg is already back there and Skinner and Bergeron both try to go behind as well. The puck is in another hemisphere, so a pick would really serve no purpose.

Seems your conveniently forgetting common sense. I'm not surprised.

hopkinsj31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:06 PM
mkoivu9*

vCash: 2710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alycat View Post
Not even close Skinner's lucky the ref stepped in the way. Patrice would have destroyed him.
Why didn't he before the ref skated across the ice then?

mkoivu9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:08 PM
hopkinsj31

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
I don't think it's a given that the pull-down was an accident. Since Bergeron decided to step in front of Skinner and put his stick right across Skinner's torso, it left only two options: get picked off the play, or skate through it for a possible penalty call. This was happening with less than a minute left, the Hurricanes shorthanded and the puck on its way out of the zone. The right move is to give the ref a good reason to blow the play dead, even up the penalty situation and give your team an o-zone faceoff. There's nothing to prove by letting someone eliminate you from the play with a cheap bit of interference.

So does Skinner realize his situation, grab hold of the stick and hope for a call? Probably so. Is that a slewfoot? Hell no. A tumble to the ice is what Bergeron bargained for when he decided to interfere and lock Skinner up like that. Nobody was injured, no penalty was called, so Bergeron really has no room to complain here. It's a nothing play, and if it weren't Skinner this wouldn't be a thread.
Ok, no one is going to agree it was a slewfoot, because it does not fit the textbook definition of a slewfoot. You know, not all rectangles are squares, but all squares are rectangles.

However, it is pretty apparent that Skinner wraps his arm over Bergeron and then goes down first, pulling Bergeron down on top as his legs takes Bergerons out from under him. Try to call interference on that is pretty ridiculous as you have two guys trying to go into the same space, what makes it anymore Skinners space than Bergerons?

And don't give me the if it wasn't skinner crap. If it was Marchand there would be7 threads and 3 polls calling for a lifetime ban.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:10 PM
nmbr_24

Quote:

Skinner kicks Bergeron's skate out from under him, what exactly do you call that?

The more I watch the replay, the dirtier it looks to me.

Bergeron hits the ice before skinner, Skinner caused Bergeon to fall, not the other way around. I think Skinner dove to try and cover up what he did which was kick Bergeron's skate out from under him. It doesn't matter whether Bergeron was interfering with him or not, kicking someones skate out from under them is pretty darn dirty.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:11 PM
GoCanes2013

Quote:
Ok, no one is going to agree it was a slewfoot, because it does not fit the textbook definition of a slewfoot. You know, not all rectangles are squares, but all squares are rectangles.

However, it is pretty apparent that Skinner wraps his arm over Bergeron and then goes down first, pulling Bergeron down on top as his legs takes Bergerons out from under him. Try to call interference on that is pretty ridiculous as you have two guys trying to go into the same space, what makes it anymore Skinners space than Bergerons?

And don't give me the if it wasn't skinner crap. If it was Marchand there would be7 threads and 3 polls calling for a lifetime ban.
Oh. Puh. Leaze.

There was no slew foot. 90% of the HF world is saying Blue = Blue and you are saying Blue = Green. nothing to see here, move on.

GoCanes2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:11 PM
JetsFan815

Looks like an honest accident to me

JetsFan815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:14 PM
GoCanes2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr_24 View Post
Skinner kicks Bergeron's skate out from under him, what exactly do you call that?

The more I watch the replay, the dirtier it looks to me.

Bergeron hits the ice before skinner, Skinner caused Bergeon to fall, not the other way around. I think Skinner dove to try and cover up what he did which was kick Bergeron's skate out from under him. It doesn't matter whether Bergeron was interfering with him or not, kicking someones skate out from under them is pretty darn dirty.
So... In ONE move, Skinner beats the BOS guys around the net, stays away from getting tangled in the net, slew foots Bergeron, then Dives to make it look like something else?

Um, okay. Thanks for that.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:19 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
(2) How much ****ing room do you think there is behind the net? Seidenberg is already back there and Skinner and Bergeron both try to go behind as well. (3) The puck is in another hemisphere, so a pick would really serve no purpose.

(1) Seems your conveniently forgetting common sense. I'm not surprised.
(1) Very original... I'm not surprised.

(2) Take off your homer glasses and look at the video again (0:04 and in slo-mo at 1:34). The pick is not behind the net but just besides the left post.

(3) If you're right about the puck being in Europe, why did Bergeron choose to throw that pick which led to the whole thing?

As I said previously, being the classy guy that he is, Bergeron will send excuses after seeing the video.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:20 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr_24 View Post
I think Skinner dove to try and cover up what he did which was kick Bergeron's skate out from under him.

So Skinner dove in order to hide the slewfoot.

Makes sense.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:22 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoivu9 View Post
Why didn't he before the ref skated across the ice then?
Nobody has an answer for that yet...

Old
01-29-2013, 10:23 PM
hopkinsj31

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCanes2013 View Post
Oh. Puh. Leaze.

There was no slew foot. 90% of the HF world is saying Blue = Blue and you are saying Blue = Green. nothing to see here, move on.
I didn't say it was. Didn't say it wasn't either. He uses his arm to push Bergerons upper body back, while using his leg/foot to push him off his skates. I don't care what you call it, it is a dirty play from a child with a rep.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:23 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Try to call interference on that is pretty ridiculous as you have two guys trying to go into the same space, what makes it anymore Skinners space than Bergerons?
Are you seriously arguing that Bergeron wasn't intentionally stepping into Skinner there? When he's facing Skinner, looking directly at him, stepping into him and laying his stick across Skinner's waist?

This is starting to border on the surreal.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:29 PM
hopkinsj31

Quote:
(1) Very original... I'm not surprised.
your own words, not mine.

Quote:
(2) Take off your homer glasses and look at the video again (0:04 and in slo-mo at 1:34). The pick is not behind the net but just besides the left post.

(3) If you're right about the puck being in Europe, why did Bergeron choose to throw that pick which led to the whole thing?
What pick? both guys are trying to go around the net at the same time. Bergeron is coasting as Boychuk is dumping the puck(which is 15 feet away) out. As I just said, Why is Skinner entitled to that ice anymore than Bergeron?

Quote:
As I said previously, being the classy guy that he is, Bergeron will send excuses after seeing the video.
Patrice Bergeron isn't a guy to make excuses, especially in a situation where there is no reason to make any?

Old
01-29-2013, 10:30 PM
The Latvian
#rooster #classless

Tough one. Skinner does get his leg behind and does appear to push back on bergerons body. With that said it does look like skinner lost balance which resulted in him pushing back on bergeron. I cant recall why but to me skinner has a reputation of slewfooting. i may be wrong but for some reason im thinking this.

The Latvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:33 PM
hopkinsj31

Quote:
Are you seriously arguing that Bergeron wasn't intentionally stepping into Skinner there? When he's facing Skinner, looking directly at him, stepping into him and laying his stick across Skinner's waist?

This is starting to border on the surreal.
They both turn to go behind the net, Bergeron is never in front of Skinner. If he doesn't bump him where is he supposed to go? Through the net?

Your right, this is getting surreal, as everyone is so convinced that poor little Jeff fell and that it was an accident that they refuse to look at it any other way.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:38 PM
GoCanes2013

At 1:33 Bergeron positions himself squarely in FRONT of Skinner. Of course Skinner's leg will be behind. Advance it frame by frame - Skinner's leg NEVER sweeps Bergeron's out from under him. It's incidental, nothing more. Good gracious.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:38 PM
LetsGoBears

Someone needs to smack Skinner around and put him in his place. Stop these dangerous stunts of his before he seriously hurts someone.

LetsGoBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:40 PM
GoCanes2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBears View Post
Someone needs to smack Skinner around and put him in his place. Stop these dangerous stunts of his before he seriously hurts someone.
'cause Bergeron should be skating in Disney on Ice to avoid the dangerous part of hockey? Okay.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:40 PM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

Quote:
They both turn to go behind the net, Bergeron is never in front of Skinner. If he doesn't bump him where is he supposed to go? Through the net?

Your right, this is getting surreal, as everyone is so convinced that poor little Jeff fell and that it was an accident that they refuse to look at it any other way.
I'm just saying.....

Brock Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:44 PM
LetsGoBears

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCanes2013 View Post
'cause Bergeron should be skating in Disney on Ice to avoid the dangerous part of hockey? Okay.
This isn't like his kicking or other slewfoot attempts, but those are why other players and fans have this reaction to him. The kid can act like a spoiled brat at times.

LetsGoBears is offline   Reply With Quote